Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,721

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87770 Mar 24, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I even bought a brand new 1969 Dodge pickup truck for $2400 and my first house cost $16,000. But then I only earned $212 a month.
my only grandmother that still remains with us, aged 89, told me once that she and my grandfather purchased the home and land they still live in today for next to nothing. their first mortgage was 18.74 a month. of course like many back then, they had seven mouths to feed aside from their own and it was a real struggle to keep food on the table. now with all the land they have and the house which they have updated a dozen times thru the years, they are sitting on an almost million dollar property. crazy how time changes things....
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87771 Mar 24, 2013
Happy rainy Palm Sunday bird threaders. I had to get home and rest, cook dinner and slob out for the rest of the day. Big weekend of games and NASCAR. One room had games on and one room had NASCAR on. It was a great day/weekend. I am sorry my favorite team wasn't there but was proud to see WKU almost beat Kansas. Now I am cheering Florida and SEC teams and anyone playing Louisville. hahaha Not nice I know, but I do.:)

Sure love all the DIY recipes posted the last couple days. I love Febreze and will try that recipe as soon as I am finished with the big refill bottle I bought last month. It is the only one I like. Like some of you mentioned, I avoid those aisles at the store too. That hurt my sinuses up and the Ohio Valley does that enough. lol

I also agree with betty/lala about all that trickery at the grocery stores. Less product, more air, higher prices. Who they think they are fooling? lol

It is chilly and been raining all day, but will take it compared to what others are getting. Our "s" here is predicted after midnight and the news channel said Indiana/Illinois up to 10 inches. That God for that Ohio River not far from here. It does seem to hit Ky and the River and stays up north. Fine by me. lol Check out this mess in Kansas in the slideshow.

Winter won't quit: Snowstorm targets Midwest
http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/03...

Hope you all have a great evening. I see there is still no OJG, Blueminer, Hempburn postings.:(
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87773 Mar 24, 2013
aww, look at the betty/abeliever haters jump in with their mean icons. hahaha, like we don't know which hater that is. Sad troll that she is.

For lala,

New sinkhole in same Fla. town where man was killed

Just weeks after a sinkhole swallowed a Florida man, killing him in his sleep in his Seffner home, another sinkhole has opened between two houses in the same town.

The latest sinkhole appeared in the 1400 block of Lake Shore Ranch Drive around 7 p.m. Saturday. It's estimated to be about 8 feet in diameter and 10 feet deep, according to WFLA.

Both homes on either side of the hole were evacuated as a precaution.

Seffner is the town where 37-year-old Jeff Bush was swallowed by a sinkhole that completely demolished his bedroom three weeks ago. Five others who were in the house escaped unharmed.
That sinkhole was estimated to be 20 feet wide and 20 feet deep. The house was later demolished.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/24/17...

Don't move to Florida. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there for many reasons. lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87774 Mar 24, 2013
FOR THE BIRDS:

Update on Eagles:

Raptor Resource Project
03-24-13 - 7:27am CT - Mom Decorah makes a visit to the "Y" branch by the original nest.

Video capture thanks to 70chico1:
&li st=UUjHNLLNpJpI2QwAO7T-5NUw &index=2

Raptor Resource Project
03-23-13 ~ Decorah Eagle Parents - Video By Jim W.

This is a digiscoped video of the Decorah Eagle parents from March 23rd, taken by Jim W.(Thanks, Jim!) Dad is on the new nest incubating, and then Mom lands and takes over. At the time of this video, we're not 100% certain that there are three eggs in the nest bowl, and until we can see eaglet heads in the nest, we will not know for sure. Hatch time is estimated to be within the next week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

and this one on the Falcons

Raptor Resource Project
~ Great Spirit Bluff Peregrine Falcons ~

As mentioned in previous posts, the falcons are back at Great Spirit Bluff. We're still not able to positively ID them as Travis and Michelle from last year, but we're pretty sure it is them. They have been seen mating recently, and on the perch (yesterday) and also making a scrape in the nestbox which is an indication of preparing for nesting and egg laying.

You can view them on this link: http://www.ustream.tv/greatspiritblufffalcons

Last year Michelle laid the first egg on March 26th and the first hatch was May 3rd. Again, we are not certain it's Michelle and Travis, but we hope so. Stay tuned!

The picture of her has a look like "get that camera outta my face". haha She is pretty.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87775 Mar 24, 2013
A GODvine for lala:

Highly Intelligent Border Collie Will Wow You With Her Tricks

Paige the Border Collie isn't your average dog! Sure, she loves her owners, walks and treats... but she also can so many impressive tricks it's hard to believe! Check out what this intelligent little girl can do - it'll impress you!

http://www.godvine.com/Border-Collie-Tricks-f...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87776 Mar 24, 2013
I love Peeps, these are too cute. I like the flower pot/jelly beans for an Easter centerpiece.

23 incredible things to do with Peeps (besides munching on them)

Rows of neon marshmallows are appearing in stores, confirming that spring really is here. And three or four cartons in, you might start to wonder if there's another way to consume those sugary Peeps — something that doesn't involve shoving 12 into your mouth at once. Later, when you’re groaning on the couch clutching your tummy, you just might realize that Peeps are like modeling clay for your wildest artistic ambitions — both in and out of the kitchen. Click through this photo gallery for some inspirational Peep art.

http://now.msn.com/peeps-marshmallow-art-crea...
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87777 Mar 24, 2013
good morning AB :)

hubby is originally from miami and has tried his best to talk me into moving down there.... i just tell him he is off his rocker if he thinks as much as i freak out about tornado's that he would ever convince me to move down to hurricane central..lol.

nope..im good.... i cant say we will stay in ky our whole lives since the lifting of prohibition has made Denver,co ever enticing..... and i do love tie dye, bob marley, and sublime... so i think if we chose to move... we would probably end up there. we have some friends and relatives that live out that way also.

plus i think in terms of a tsunami.... japan actually is very mountainous and we seen how far inland their tsunami came..... i fear if one struck Florida as flat as it is, the damage path would reach clear into Georgia and Alabama and it would be buh-bye Louisiana also.

west Virginia has a nice little 50 mile radius pocket that hasn't seen a tornado, sink hole, or quake since we began recording them. i would maybe consider that... it very pretty up there in the fall like here also.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87778 Mar 24, 2013
lol..."good morning".... good evening AB

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87779 Mar 24, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
a 3 pound can of coffee now just lists the ounces and is not even quite 2 pounds. Two things I have never had in my lifetime and see no reason to start now... Yogurt and Starbucks.
I remember when people went to the gas station and got 5 gallons of gas and paid $1.60 total, but that was when you could get a Coca Cola for 5 cents and a good week's pay was about $50.... It is all relative.
I am on fixed income, so any price increase(outright or through a company's attempted deception)of decreasing size without a proportional decrease in cost, or increasing price as well as a decrease in quantity, has a direct effect on my purchasing power. My social security payments have to be stretched further to accommodate these price changes, or I have to go without.

When I was working and my services were needed because of high demand and few professionals in my specialty field, I could charge enough to make costs relative to income. Unfortunately, I became ill and unable to continue working. Social security covers only the most basic of needs. I am thankful that both hubby and I had contributed to retirement plans, which enable us to have a fairly good quality of life. We do pay in to the Federal and State governments because we opted to get ahead by working hard, saving when we could, and spending only what we could afford. Our prudent lifestyle helps pay for those who cannot afford to pay in anything to the government. Believe me when I say that I miss working in my profession, for the enjoyment and intrinsic rewards of working, not to mention the higher financial remuneration. But, that's life I guess, so we roll with the flow. Above all, I am thankful that I wake up each morning to enjoy the gifts our Creator has provided
Wow

Sweden

#87780 Mar 24, 2013
It's all a 188.126.79.105
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87781 Mar 24, 2013
well..... angel (am staff) finally had enough of mee(my cat...because all she ever says is "meeee").

ever since we allowed angel to become an inside dog, all mee does is hiss and swat and growl and sit directly across from her and glare (seriously if you seen this you would be thinking any minute angel would just burst into flames)

angel has proved to the rest she means no harm and has even begun to romp around a little with my husbands cat.

today the situation finally came to a head while they were in passing to the community water dish and mee decided against her better judgement to turn around at the last minute and hook angel on her left shoulder.

i see mee then disappear almost completely in angels chops and im thinking oh god she's done for... there is no way i can get to them in time. i really thought she was going to shake her and snap her neck but instead she threw her head up tossing mee end over end thru the air. she landed on all fours in the middle of the coffee table.

sigh.... heart beat returning to normal finally.

i wonder how this will change the dynamic of their relationship..... time will tell i guess but first i gotta wait for mee to come out from behind the dryer.

probably should have dug her out and locked her in the time out bathroom for a few minutes like i do when they all gang up on the poodle and stuck angel out in the rain or in her crate....

but instead i filled the dryer and slammed the door extra hard which resulted in a loud scuffling and accompanying panicked sounding "meee!" from behind.

figure she will come out and either keep her distance or with a vendetta. you never know with her.... i once watched her purr and "mee" very cordially till hubby's cat was sitting directly under her meowing in return (and really he should have seen this next one coming because she hasn't been even remotely nice to him in the past seven years) she yanked one of my avon perfume figurines right off the shelf and onto his dome.
Whatever

United States

#87782 Mar 24, 2013
Just means some birds die i dont eat birds or even like them bring on the beef when a couple hundred cows die let me know lol

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87783 Mar 24, 2013
Wow! That's some wind!
Iseeyou

Tokyo, Japan

#87784 Mar 24, 2013
Don't look up
Lol

New York, NY

#87785 Mar 24, 2013
Funny

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#87786 Mar 24, 2013
Already did. Lots of SKY up there.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

#87789 Mar 24, 2013
Indeed.
:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87790 Mar 24, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I am on fixed income, so any price increase(outright or through a company's attempted deception)of decreasing size without a proportional decrease in cost, or increasing price as well as a decrease in quantity, has a direct effect on my purchasing power. My social security payments have to be stretched further to accommodate these price changes, or I have to go without.
When I was working and my services were needed because of high demand and few professionals in my specialty field, I could charge enough to make costs relative to income. Unfortunately, I became ill and unable to continue working. Social security covers only the most basic of needs. I am thankful that both hubby and I had contributed to retirement plans, which enable us to have a fairly good quality of life. We do pay in to the Federal and State governments because we opted to get ahead by working hard, saving when we could, and spending only what we could afford. Our prudent lifestyle helps pay for those who cannot afford to pay in anything to the government. Believe me when I say that I miss working in my profession, for the enjoyment and intrinsic rewards of working, not to mention the higher financial remuneration. But, that's life I guess, so we roll with the flow. Above all, I am thankful that I wake up each morning to enjoy the gifts our Creator has provided
I agree with you and am on a fixed income too and even dropped over a $100,000 on health issues. But I am still here and still blessed by the Creator's gifts. When I said it was relative.. I meant that what you have in material wealth then someone wants it and will do everything possible to get it, but what you don't have they can't get. Sure we complain about the higher prices and the lower quanities, but we keep right on buying the stuff.

Location hidden

#87791 Mar 24, 2013
Well, my fine feathered friends, it looks like a SHTF scenario is about to unfold.@ Abeliever: Please review the recent articles about the Louisiana sinkhole, which has been kept under wraps by mainstream media, possibly to avoid panic.
The sinkhole is growing exponentially now and has swallowed up 3 more acres in less than a week, and one acre in one day. It is now 12 plus acres. More than 20 acres beyond this are sinking, and there will be more evacuations needed. This has been accompanied by a sharp uptick in seismic activity, and scientists are now worried about disruption of the New Madrid Fault line. A panel of 13 scientists (unlucky number) are trying to figure out what is going on, and there seems no way to stop it. It is the first of its kind in the world, and lucky us, we are near the fireworks. Workers had to stop inspecting because of seismic activity. There is much news about this now. Check it out. Just google the Louisiana sinkhole and you will find lots of information.

Location hidden

#87792 Mar 24, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you and am on a fixed income too and even dropped over a $100,000 on health issues. But I am still here and still blessed by the Creator's gifts. When I said it was relative.. I meant that what you have in material wealth then someone wants it and will do everything possible to get it, but what you don't have they can't get. Sure we complain about the higher prices and the lower quanities, but we keep right on buying the stuff.
We've just got to grow more veggies and fruit, raise chickens, cows for milk and meat, etc. Rural people have it over on the city folks, but those city folks will try to get ours when they run out. I do not worry. Let's say that I just try to be proactive. I do feel sad for the little kids growing up now. They will never have it as good as we did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Cooler 131,866
kids free glasses and hearing checked 1 hr Hot T OTC 7
missing pit bull 3 hr not joking 8
truck payments 3 hr lol 12
barbourville teen: snake in the grass 3 hr Tom Anderson 2
Need food badly 4 hr lol 31
Porsche mills 4 hr Info 21
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:55 am PST

NBC Sports 4:55AM
Sen'Derrick Marks has 600,000 reasons to play hard tonight
Bleacher Report 5:06 AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Complete Thursday Night Preview
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
Bleacher Report10:57 AM
After 13 Games on the Bench, Browns Need to Show Patience with Johnny Manziel