Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,695)

Showing posts 73,881 - 73,900 of81,551
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
It's so nice to see this thread picking back up again today. Wonder where Hemp and Blue are though... And OJG? AW must be busy outside, knowing him. Also wonder how Imposter is doing on that new job and the change jar refill caper? A couple more people are MIA here lately too.
Betty, I just looked on Ebay for some orange tomatoes and I found two different species that look like what I had last year. One is called an "Amanda" tomato and the other is called an "Orange Giant". Both are said to be heirloom plants. What do you think??
On another note, I have had a huge sounding helicopter hovering over my house for the last 5 minutes or so. It sounds like a "close encounters of the third kind" drama out there. My windows are rattling and that thing isn't moving on like they normally do during their search slash pot-o-copter seasons. I can feel the vibration of the blades beating in my chest, that's how loud it is. Wonder if a criminal is on the loose? If someone is running from Mr Johnny Law, they'd be dang smart to avoid Nopes place. I stay locked and loaded, one or more of my guns are within reach at all times.
What the heck is going on out there in my woods I wonder??
sigh...

well after some pretty extensive googling of tomato pics im convinced that im just going to have to ride out and ask him. i cant really tell by picture alone. i found a dozen or so really common orange variety tomatoes that grow well in ky... also found one that was completely white! you are right... all the ones i found were heirlooms so i bet he orders his seeds from somewhere really specific or saves them himself....

have you ever heard of a seed-saver program? its a good way to get a variety of seeds. most organic farmers that do the seed-saver programs dont charge for the seeds, you just have to send a pre stamped envelope for them to send the seeds back in. i was getting a good amount of seeds in the mail every so often but the last batch to two of envelopes i send out did not return before i moved last year. but that's how i got all my pole beans and corn last yr aside from the blue corn i bought from our local mill.

the Amish around here sell ears of bodacious and candy corn mostly.... like you i never have luck with corn and only partial luck with tomatoes..... my green thumb definitely leaves something to be desired. the only reason my beans and blue berries were a success last yr is because i picked and picked them...... thats my problem....i cant leave anything alone long enough for it to grow so i find that things like pole beans that thrive the more you pick the beans i have the best luck with..... we did get a couple small cabbages too.....

its a process but i am determined to have a good garden going eventually.... might be this yr... might be next yr if i kill everything again.....lol
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I am ready to plant by Bibb Lettuce and green onions. I can make a meal of that wilted in hot bacon grease and a touch of white vinegar and served up with corn bread melting in butter.
I plan to plant Roma beans and Purple Hull peas (a southern thing) and about a 1/4 acre of Silver Queen corn. I raised the "Bodacious" corn last year. The Silver Queen takes longer but has longer ears.
My friend raised some kind of oblong shaped black tomatoes last year. They did not look all that good, but were quite yummy. I need to find out what they were.
i think i saw a pic of those black tomatoes also this evening.... i bet they are good... i was always told the redder the better for taste... which i have found to be wrong sense this past summer when i fell in love with the fruit stand guys tomatoes... but i would imagine that the black ones have all kinds of flavor. i would be interested to see what the white ones taste like too.

im thinking about doing with the corn the same as i did with the blueberries and pole beans. last year i planted in big rubbermaid tubs i had poked some holes in for draining.... thought it was a great idea to keep the weeds out of my plants and it work really well with both. but those are commonly grown out of five gallon buckets.... i wonder if i could do the same with corn... i have like twenty or so empty tubs right now.... i just wonder what all i could get to grow well in them.... thought about things like carrots and beets.... would keep critters from snatching them from below.... plus if i kept them on the porch.... they would have to get past the attack cat and the am staff first.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

@Betty and Nope.. I typed a long winded thing about corn and it did not post. Essentially, the tubs would not be very productive for corn but would be good for viney plants such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Add table scraps, coffee grounds, potato peelings and egg shells to the dirt in each tub and surround the tub with old fence wire for the vines to climb up.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

If you dont have enough land for about a 1/2 to a full pound of corn kernels, you about as well buy a few ears from the locals. Loosely tilled soil with 10-10-10 fertlizer added in but not overdone is good. Rows about 30 inches apart and settings about 12 inches apart. Don't bury the corn too deep but just lightly cover. Each setting should contain 3-4 kernels so that at least one will come up and thinned later if needed. The Native Americans used to add dead fish parts to each setting to be used as a natural fertilizer. Nope needs to go fishing. LOL

Don't allow the ground between the rows to "cake" up but loosen as needed, removing any weeds. Hoe the corn bringing loose dirt up to the stalk after the plant comes up.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

roamingalcoholic wrote:
Homeland Security buys 7,000 new assault rifles, 1.5 billion rounds including hollow point and sniper rounds, armored urban assault trucks issued to operate on Main Street USA, drones......Obama allows Homeland Security access to personal financial records……Homeland now monitoring E-mail and internet traffic……..Obama has an internet “kill” switch……..limited supply of gasoline/diesel…….
And millions of doses of smallpox...and they are refusing to tell congress their intentions. I hear civil unrest... but what should we expect having a terrorist destroying our country from.within..

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
If you dont have enough land for about a 1/2 to a full pound of corn kernels, you about as well buy a few ears from the locals. Loosely tilled soil with 10-10-10 fertlizer added in but not overdone is good. Rows about 30 inches apart and settings about 12 inches apart. Don't bury the corn too deep but just lightly cover. Each setting should contain 3-4 kernels so that at least one will come up and thinned later if needed. The Native Americans used to add dead fish parts to each setting to be used as a natural fertilizer. Nope needs to go fishing. LOL
Don't allow the ground between the rows to "cake" up but loosen as needed, removing any weeds. Hoe the corn bringing loose dirt up to the stalk after the plant comes up.
I will have ground fish here in a few weeks if anyone is needing any for fertilizer. I still use it today (: and your correct it's great for gardens as well as putting in dogs and cats food. Gives their coat a great shine :) and also you can space out the time that you plant corn so to have a later in the year crop as well. I suggest buying natural seeds or asking local farmers if you are planning on planting anything else such as tomatoes,peppers etc.... ancient wolf I'm sure will agree ;) being Monsanto has gotten their hands on anything (organic) worth eating these days. Also to first time gardeners, you don't need much space to grow a decent garden ( some things you can plant in planters. It's very simple, not expensive and doesn't involve much to to grow your own natural food. It's much healthier and well worth the effort.:-).or as soon as the weather is right and my garden is ready, HMU and I'll have plenty to pass around to those that can't afford or don't have the space to grow their own. I always do everything overkill:-p
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Good Morning Barbie. You are right about gardening. I always plant enough for me and the chickens and the deer and the raccoons and give away as well, generally to the older folks.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Good Morning Barbie. You are right about gardening. I always plant enough for me and the chickens and the deer and the raccoons and give away as well, generally to the older folks.
Me too ;) and good morning to you as well. Went to bed to early last night and figured I'd see what was going on in their great town of Falmouth. It was great finding this thread about something other than gossip :p I love to garden, especially since the government has put it's hands on all our store food I think everyone should have access to fresh food. What I have called" food" my entire life they now call organic (crazy) I am in an online gardening group, and you wouldn't believe the people that have never ate fresh veggies and fruit. Something that most of us don't actually think nothing about because we've been doing it our entire lives.... Sad :-(.. idk how many people in this thread receives WIC but I just found out through a local farmer who's a good friend that they will provide a $20 voucher for fresh produce that can be used at local farmer markets. Everyone screams eat healthy food, but for those that are low income it's hard to afford the prices these days to get fresh veggies and fruit for their kids. If I can help anyone that you know that may need it, please let me know. I've also always got freezers full of fresh meat (game) and will have lots of fresh fish here in a few weeks ( as soon as the weather warms up). That's great that you help people out, back in the day it used to be like that. But not anymore as much. Glad to know there are still good ppl out there willing to give and not just take :-) God bless you †
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty and Nope.. I typed a long winded thing about corn and it did not post. Essentially, the tubs would not be very productive for corn but would be good for viney plants such as tomatoes and cucumbers. Add table scraps, coffee grounds, potato peelings and egg shells to the dirt in each tub and surround the tub with old fence wire for the vines to climb up.
i have a quarter pound of kandy corn i just picked up from hardin milling and i also have a quarter pound i bought last year which says early golden bantam but the man who works at the mill told me thats just a big term for regular swt corn. my plan was to plant them all in the same tilled patch maybe four rows of each but im reading this site about corn and its says to plant in at least four rows to ensure pollination (so thats why i was going that route) but now im wondering about planting two kinds of corn so close.... i may end up with kandy-sweet corn?

idk its all french to me.... the times i have had great success with growing things has been when i have thrown it down with little thought and forgotten about it. lol...like with my aloes this past summer... i transferred the two mamas into some bigger permanent pots and stuck them on the window shelf in my half bath that we never use and literally the next day was when i had my knee mishap and i totally forgot they existed.... two months later i walk in there for the first time and i discover that that dirt is bone dry but i have eight or so babies attached to each mama. as soon as i started watering it on the regular the babies started to die.

my beans doing so well has inspired me too branch out and i have four different kind that i intend on planting..... of course more ky pole beans but also im doing wax, jade, and harvester beans.....i would think they would all do well in the tubs, but i may do half in the garden and half on the porch. oh well.... if the koreans come(and thats a big if) i guess i can live on berries and beans.....
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

@aw..... i ment to ask.....

the corn seed from last year... will it still grow? should i put more kernels in each hole than the three or four since they are a year old?
Good Morning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ouch. About the pileated woodpecker. anyone have experience with attracting them to feeders? thpught maybe your group of posters could help me with this. I know this isn't about gardening. Sorry

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

The sun is coming up and the birds are ready for their bird seed. I can see them in the trees waiting. I had to take the dog out and they were watching. I better get some seed out before they come in to find it!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

yawnn wrote:
<quoted text>i hope they crap on your head
Oh go back to bed, dummy. Your post is boring.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Good Morning wrote:
Ouch. About the pileated woodpecker. anyone have experience with attracting them to feeders? thpught maybe your group of posters could help me with this. I know this isn't about gardening. Sorry
Good Morning to you too. I did not answer because I don't now anything about pileated woodpeckers or about feeding birds at all. Country folk always let the birds take care of themselves except for table scraps thrown out the back door.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

@Betty..what does it matter if your 2 kinds of sweet corn cross pollinates? It will still be sweet. The only thing we ever concerned ourselves with was to not put field corn, sweet corn, or pop corn that close together.

As for planting year old corn, one thing you can do is soak it overnight in water first. You can also do that to "hurry along" your beans. Then if it don't sprout out in a couple weeks, you can go back and add some more kernels to the bare spots. I hope this answers your questions.
Good Morning

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning to you too. I did not answer because I don't now anything about pileated woodpeckers or about feeding birds at all. Country folk always let the birds take care of themselves except for table scraps thrown out the back door.
I do understand what you're saying about letting the birds take care of themselves. My forty acres backs up to a state forestry etc but I'm toying with the idea of putting feeders outside the dining room picture window so I can sit at the table and watch them flit about. There's some of those woodpeckers in the woods that I see occasionally but would like to see up close.... Anyway, thanks for commenting. Have a wonderful day!!!
Wasiyusotan

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

The laziest man I ever met put popcorn in his pancakes so they would turn over themselves.~W.C.Fields~
Black momma

Norwalk, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

This is a true story back in the day during the disco era. My great friend had a falcon me with a brand new Ms Donna Summer hair do. At our school during a pep rally a serious white school pep rally we were the fighting panthers. Well we couldn't have a actual panther for a mascot so the falcon was made our unauthorized mascot. He's flying around and around I thought is this mother&&&&ka looking at me well I gonna pretend he is not going to zoom in on me.(smile) Well guess where he wanted to form his new nest I became an old black church lady oh lord jez suss hep me. I love animals but I tried to pull that birds wings off he wasn't hurt at all and I went to school with stoner white boys so for the next 3 years all I heard was Dude you should seen your face when that bird flew in your hair dude (laugh out loud) dude yeah this is her bird girl and I just ha ha ha just past the joint(smile)
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Good Morning wrote:
<quoted text>
I do understand what you're saying about letting the birds take care of themselves. My forty acres backs up to a state forestry etc but I'm toying with the idea of putting feeders outside the dining room picture window so I can sit at the table and watch them flit about. There's some of those woodpeckers in the woods that I see occasionally but would like to see up close.... Anyway, thanks for commenting. Have a wonderful day!!!
You have a nice day as well. I have a woodpecker here that pecks around on some dead tree limbs. Maybe if you propped a dead tree limb up somewhere close to the feeder that might do the trick. I don't know, but I suppose their diet includes bugs and worms and not so much seeds. I have cardinals and robins that like to hang out and get the scratch grain spillage from where I feed my chickens, but I have never seen a woodpecker do anything except peck on dead tree limbs.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2013

Judged:

Wasiyusotan wrote:
The laziest man I ever met put popcorn in his pancakes so they would turn over themselves.~W.C.Fields~
There is a joke about filling your Thanksgiving turkey full of popcorn. if you don't know how long to bake it. Supposedly, when the popcorn pops and blows out the turkey's butt and knocks the door off the range, then the cooking is complete. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,881 - 73,900 of81,551
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

71 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min NO LMS 144,890
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 9 min NO LMS 127,979
blackberry's 51 min Blackberry 6
Red Chevy Cruze 1 hr just found out 4
big yard sale 1 hr jackie 1
Barbie Carpenter 2 hr clueless 7
KC Basketball Coach 5 hr KC Fan 55
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 13 hr Fillus 382
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs