Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,634

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87604 Mar 21, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
??????-what
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Senator_%28t...

"The Senator was the biggest and oldest Pond Cypress tree in the world, located in Big Tree Park, Longwood, Florida. At the time of its demise, it was 125 feet (38 m) tall, with a trunk diameter of 17.5 feet (5.3 m). The tree was destroyed by a fire on January 16, 2012."

"The Seminole Indians and other Native American Indians who lived throughout Central Florida used this tree as a landmark. In the late 19th century, the tree attracted visitors even though much of the surrounding land was swamp; reaching the tree was done by leaping from log to log. A walkway was later constructed by the Works Progress Administration. In 1925, a hurricane destroyed the top of the tree, reducing its original height of 165 feet (50 m) to a height of 118 feet (36 m). The Senator was named for Florida State Senator Moses Overstreet, who donated the tree and surrounding land to Seminole County for a park in 1927. In 1929, former president Calvin Coolidge visited The Senator and dedicated the site with a commemorative bronze plaque. The plaque and portions of an iron fence were stolen by vandals in 1945 and never recovered."

*Fire and collapse
On January 16, 2012, a fire was reported at the top of the Senator tree, which burned from the inside out, "like a chimney."[3] Firefighters arrived to try to extinguish the blaze, but the tree collapsed. The charred remains of the tree now stand only 20 to 25 feet (6.1 to 7.6 m) tall.

*Arrest
On Tuesday, February 28, 2012, The Division of Forestry said they arrested 26 year old Sara Barnes in relation to the fire of The Senator. Barnes said she regularly went to the tree site to do drugs and lit a fire that night so that she could see, but that it got out of control. Officials said that they found images of the fire being started on Barnes' laptop and on her cellphone. When an arrest warrant was served at her home she was also charged with possession of methamphetamine.

UPDATE:
Some people believe that the tree is still alive. They have spotted saplings at the base of the big tree. Officials also said that the tree was cloned at one point, and they are searching to bring the clones back

(Although that majestic tree MAY still be technically alive at it's base with Cypress "knees" growing from it's root system, it is now forever destroyed by ONE meth head with an obvious agenda. The tree is no longer the tallest Pond Cypress in the world. I detest all human beings who have this type of mentality. Too bad a nice big Florida style lightning bolt didn't zap her prior to her actions. In my opinion, the world would be a better place without people like her. Sorry if that offends some of you out there).
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87605 Mar 21, 2013
For lala, AW, Nope, betty, Hempburn, and all dog lovers. Thought I would give you some laughs and "awwwww's". I may have posted the one with kids, but it just makes you laugh listening to them crack up over dogs:

Puppy Plays Catch For the First Time and Does the Cutest Thing

When learning how to play catch, this puppy does something so cute it'll melt your heart to pieces! Watch as this precious baby tries so hard. You will love this little blessing from God above!

http://www.godvine.com/Puppy-Plays-Catch-fb-g...

Very Guilty Dog Does the Funniest Thing

After a hard day of work, a dog owner came home to a mess... and one VERY guilty-looking dog. Just watch this video and you'll see the doggie culprit do the funniest thing, LOL!

http://www.godvine.com/Very-Guilty-Dog-Does-t...

I always enjoy the daily edition sent to facebook when you like the site. Very inspirational videos and lots of funny animal videos. Love them. Enjoy

Dog Snores in the Funniest Way While He Sleeps

When this dog sleeps, he does the funniest thing! Instead of snoring like a normal dog, he does a Donald Duck impression in his sleep! LOL! Just listen to this dog's hilarious snore, it will make you laugh!

http://www.godvine.com/Dog-Snores-in-the-Funn...

Best Compilation Video of Babies Laughing at Dogs

Babies do the most darling things! Lighten your spirit and improve your day by watching these precious children laugh at the silly things dogs do... their laughter is so contagious!

http://www.godvine.com/Best-Compilation-Video...
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87606 Mar 21, 2013
@ Nope, just before I go. Doesn't offend me;) I agree with you 100 percent;)Good day to ya...BTW there was a seed planted several years ago dated 2000 years ago. It was a palm from Judea or somewhere overseas. I saw in a photo that the tree- now tall- had a fence around it. Shame have to secure every thing these days.

#87607 Mar 21, 2013
Bwwaaahaha @ the snoring dog!! I have one who does that occasionally too!! The snoring and subsequent muzzle "flapping" is usually the precursor to a lot of paw paddling and muscle twitching as well. I always imagine that it must be some version of "I'm hunting for them pesky wabbits" kind of dreams that it's having, hehe!!

That was funny! Thanks!!

#87608 Mar 21, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
@ Nope, just before I go. Doesn't offend me;) I agree with you 100 percent;)Good day to ya...BTW there was a seed planted several years ago dated 2000 years ago. It was a palm from Judea or somewhere overseas. I saw in a photo that the tree- now tall- had a fence around it. Shame have to secure every thing these days.
Hi "Misty". Glad to see you. Hope you have a great day, wherever you're going!

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87609 Mar 21, 2013
Good afternoon all. I wish I could have been home the last 2 days, watching the birds. Sadly, that didn't happen. They are quite mad at me. No seeds today.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87610 Mar 21, 2013
Clara wrote:
<quoted text>
Will this soap work in a high efficiency washer?
yes it can be used for he washers.... that's what i have. it actually leaves less gunk in the compartment than store brands.... especially the fabric softener (i figure its the vinegar)

also i use a lot less soap than before.... it takes some getting used to because fels naptha is a suds free soap so it doesn't look like you are using enough but after resisting the urge to add more and totally fill my compartment for a couple weeks i have proven to myself that its doing the job. i put about a half cup per load for big loads and only a fourth cup for my whites
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87611 Mar 21, 2013
big hoss wrote:
<quoted text>thats a ton of work ,...just to save $3.24 -i think i will stick to the "store " bought soap,..
actually the boxes of borax and washing soda have about six cups each and the only thing i had to buy more of was the bar of fels soap.... for less than twenty dollars even including what i spent on fragrance oils.... i have enough stuff for sixty gallons of completed soap. sixty gallons would cost well beyond a hundred bucks for store bought soap and a gallon of this stuff is going to be enough for at least 32 loads if not more.....

also i make my own dish washer powder with this stuff

mix in a jar (make sure the jar is super dry)

1 cup of borax
1 cup of washing soda
1cup of kosher salt

and you have a six month supply or more of dish powder :)

so for twenty five dolloars total i have made at least a years supply of laundry soap for me, my mom, my best freind, my sister, and my mother inlaw. and made myself a years worth of dish powder.

i think my time is well worth those savings :)

my friend who lives in Denver also makes her own soaps but she concentrates the mix down to just a gallons worth of mix and stores it in mason jars... kinda turns out looking like a tub of lard.... she sent me some and its by far the best to use as a paste on hard stains like grass and oil. she just gets a spoon full out and put in her machine... it all mixes out and washes just as well as mine does but is easier for her because she lives in a apartment and does not have the storage space. thats the best part about the recipe... you can tweet it how ever you like for thickness and consistency.
So true

Morgantown, KY

#87612 Mar 21, 2013
Great , great day to you all...Thanks so much for the mixture Betty, always lookin to save a penny.. Been a little cold today, maybe someone warmed your hearts....
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87613 Mar 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
Happy Noon Bird threaders. I hope everyone is nice and warm since we woke up with 15 degrees temps. What???? It's suppose to be spring. lol
The birds are chirping like it is. I am enjoying this big fat robin that refuses to let the big black birds run it off from the bird feeder. Just too funny. The cats are in the window enjoying the fight.
Nope, I am glad you are going to get a new critter to fill the void of your loss. I have a big fat tom that adopted us when his owners left him while moving. I have had him for four years now although he really belongs to noone. I think he is the stud of the area. He roams, comes back to eat, drink fresh water and sleep it off in "his" cushioned chair or if it is freezing out he crawls into a pet carrier I put into a draw string garbage bag, wrapped in a moving blanket (keeps the cold from the holes in carrier) and then a nice fleece baby blanket to sleep on. He was wary of it at first, like I was trying to capture him or something. He eventually figured out it was there to keep him from the elements and uses it quite often. He is a pure joy. The two house cats (female) watch him from the window and sometimes goes to the door sniffing for him. Just too funny. I love him and if I haven't seen him for a couple days I worry.
Betty, your pet stories are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Plus the recipes for laundry day.
AW, I never pictured you a cat person. You and your dog just fit each other. He is adorable, floppy ear and all. lol
lala, hope you are feeling good and done with your taxes. I wish mine were done. I have to let someone else do them this year with extra funds incoming from retirement bonus and cash Mom left us. Ugh. I can't wait to see the grand total the IRS will want. My appointment is next week. I will be glad to get it over with.
I know the thread is slowing down. I don't think we have had the "hot flame" since UNA left. lol
Didn't see Blueminer posting, I hope he and his dad are doing okay. OJG? Hempburn? Hope everyone else is okay and getting ready for Spring/Summer.
Day two and in the 20's. Yuk It does give me time to work on the Spring cleaning concept so when it does get nice and warm again I won't be stuck indoors.
I hope everyone enjoys their day.
hello AB!

i went to sams this afternoon to stock up on off brand allergy pills.... i can feel spring coming.... i dread and long for it to be here. i know i wont be able to breath till summer but i also know that its just one month closer to amish strawberry time :) yummo!!!!!!! they set up on the south end of town in a few spots (mostly the lot where big t truck stop used to be and in glendale next to the highway) they sell a half gallon bucket for 6.50.

i went through rineyville the other day and noticed that the fruit stand guy (the one right before you get to bp) had put his tables back out...cant wait for him to be set up either. last year he had these tomatoes that were kinda orangy and not good looking at all but he gave me one free when i stopped to buy a couple watermelons and told me he swears by them and whos going to turn don a free tomato you know. he was not lying and they really do taste awesome, cut awesome, and keep longer than any of the ones i got from anywhere else, im hooked! i tried growing my own last year and they flopped. the only things i got out of everything i put down were blueberries and pole beans..... but a lot of that had to do with my down time and my knee. cant wait to get back in the garden this year and hopefully make it all the way to harvest injury free and get to can some things this year. i had asked everyone for canning supplies for my birthday last year and havent gotten to use any of it yet. think i may grow some peppers this year also.

i am d.o.n.e. with the weather flip flops! im sure in a month or so we will be back in the heat advisory days and i will be complaining about that but right now its "bring on the heat!"
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87614 Mar 21, 2013
if this repost a dozen times... whoops!
en it does get nice and warm again I won't be stuck indoors.
I hope everyone enjoys their day.
hello AB!
i went to sams this afternoon to stock up on off brand allergy pills.... i can feel spring coming.... i dread and long for it to be here. i know i wont be able to breath till summer but i also know that its just one month closer to amish strawberry time :) yummo!!!!!!! they set up on the south end of town in a few spots (mostly the lot where big t truck stop used to be and in glendale next to the highway) they sell a half gallon bucket for 6.50.
i went through rineyville the other day and noticed that the fruit stand guy (the one right before you get to bp) had put his tables back out...cant wait for him to be set up either. last year he had these tomatoes that were kinda orangy and not good looking at all but he gave me one free when i stopped to buy a couple watermelons and told me he swears by them and whos going to turn don a free tomato you know. he was not lying and they really do taste awesome, cut awesome, and keep longer than any of the ones i got from anywhere else, im hooked! i tried growing my own last year and they flopped. the only things i got out of everything i put down were blueberries and pole beans..... but a lot of that had to do with my down time and my knee. cant wait to get back in the garden this year and hopefully make it all the way to harvest injury free and get to can some things this year. i had asked everyone for canning supplies for my birthday last year and havent gotten to use any of it yet. think i may grow some peppers this year also.
i am d.o.n.e. with the weather flip flops! im sure in a month or so we will be back in the heat advisory days and i will be complaining about that but right now its "bring on the heat!"
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87615 Mar 21, 2013
was a reply to a.b. stupid topix
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87616 Mar 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
PEPPERONI/MOZZARELLA PULL APART BREAD!!!!
1/3 cup favorite flavored dipping oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 (16 ounce) pkgs pre-made pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
1 (7 oz) pkg sliced pepperoni
1 (8 oz) pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Separate pizza dough into small bite sized pieces.
In a bowl add your favorite flavored dipping oil. Toss dough pieces in dipping oil to lightly coat.
Layer dough pieces in bottom of bundt or fluted tube pan, next layer sliced pepperoni, shredded cheese and sprinkle with garlic powder. Repeat layers again, and end with final layer of dough pieces.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till hot and bubbly.
Serve by pulling the bread apart into individual servings with optional marinara dipping sauce on the side.
Layer until about 2/3 of the pan is full.
Definitely plan for it to feed a hungry crowd. You can scale down the ingredients if you choose to feed a smaller crowd. You can serve it hot or room temperature.
These look so incredible! And so easy!
You can find this and other easy recipe from the Pampered Chef. The results looked awesome in the picture. The two recipes came to me on facebook but I printed them out and thought I would try them. Once I seen Betty's soap recipe I thought I would share these two. Enjoy
that sounds so yummy :)

#87617 Mar 21, 2013
Having trouble with my posts again today too, Betty. I think I'll shoot off a feedback to see what's up. Perhaps they've not been made aware of this glitch yet. And they can't fix what they don't know if broken.

(Whoa, on second though I hope this comment posts, HAHAHAHA)!!!!

By the way, you wouldn't happen to know a name for those orange looking 'maters would you? I had one last year that was kind of orange looking, and boy oh boy was that thing good. Juicy as heck too. I'd bet it was the same kind!! Wish I could find out what they are so I can put them in my own garden in a few weeks. Of course even if I could get seed right now, they'd have kind of a late start getting sprouted perhaps. Who knows, maybe it's even an heirloom that bears fruit faster... And better late than never!!

#87619 Mar 21, 2013
Hey, Betty. About that orange 'mater: What it ugly and really misshapen? That's what the one I had looked like. All humpy like with dips and folds all around it. But a big tomato, if that makes sense at all, LOL!

#87620 Mar 21, 2013
*WAS it ugly.....

I have NO idea what's happened to my typing reflexes lately. I'm WAY off of my game. Typo city, sorry.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87621 Mar 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
For lala, AW, Nope, betty, Hempburn, and all dog lovers. Thought I would give you some laughs and "awwwww's". I may have posted the one with kids, but it just makes you laugh listening to them crack up over dogs:
Puppy Plays Catch For the First Time and Does the Cutest Thing
When learning how to play catch, this puppy does something so cute it'll melt your heart to pieces! Watch as this precious baby tries so hard. You will love this little blessing from God above!
http://www.godvine.com/Puppy-Plays-Catch-fb-g...
Very Guilty Dog Does the Funniest Thing
After a hard day of work, a dog owner came home to a mess... and one VERY guilty-looking dog. Just watch this video and you'll see the doggie culprit do the funniest thing, LOL!
http://www.godvine.com/Very-Guilty-Dog-Does-t...
I always enjoy the daily edition sent to facebook when you like the site. Very inspirational videos and lots of funny animal videos. Love them. Enjoy
Dog Snores in the Funniest Way While He Sleeps
When this dog sleeps, he does the funniest thing! Instead of snoring like a normal dog, he does a Donald Duck impression in his sleep! LOL! Just listen to this dog's hilarious snore, it will make you laugh!
http://www.godvine.com/Dog-Snores-in-the-Funn...
Best Compilation Video of Babies Laughing at Dogs
Babies do the most darling things! Lighten your spirit and improve your day by watching these precious children laugh at the silly things dogs do... their laughter is so contagious!
http://www.godvine.com/Best-Compilation-Video...
hahaha the snitching poodles!
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87622 Mar 21, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Having trouble with my posts again today too, Betty. I think I'll shoot off a feedback to see what's up. Perhaps they've not been made aware of this glitch yet. And they can't fix what they don't know if broken.
(Whoa, on second though I hope this comment posts, HAHAHAHA)!!!!
By the way, you wouldn't happen to know a name for those orange looking 'maters would you? I had one last year that was kind of orange looking, and boy oh boy was that thing good. Juicy as heck too. I'd bet it was the same kind!! Wish I could find out what they are so I can put them in my own garden in a few weeks. Of course even if I could get seed right now, they'd have kind of a late start getting sprouted perhaps. Who knows, maybe it's even an heirloom that bears fruit faster... And better late than never!!
i gave up on starting them from seed...just started buying plants 9i have a patience problem with these sort of things which leads to over watering and over fertiilizing..... when i go get maters from him i will ask.... they were sooo good.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87623 Mar 21, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey, Betty. About that orange 'mater: What it ugly and really misshapen? That's what the one I had looked like. All humpy like with dips and folds all around it. But a big tomato, if that makes sense at all, LOL!
i ended up buying them all summer long from him.... some were perfect round but just not as red as i would think they would have to be to taste good... for flavor i like roma tomatoes but they fall apart turn into mush and i dont have any luck storing them.... these orangy tomatoes tasted alot like a roma but they cut so easy and really stayed together well on my blt.... i did get some that looked rather odd though... so it may be the same kind.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87624 Mar 21, 2013
well im off for now to do some baking and prepping for dinner tonight.

i have a portion of spiral ham (the part they dont cut) think im going to make some ham chunks up, add to the beans i put on in my wee hours of typing last night and make some corn bread.

was going to do crock pot hawaiian chicken bbq but i found out earlier when looking in the fridge that i did not thaw out a bag of chicken last night and instead thawed out a bag of ricotta cheese. guess tomorrow is going to be lasagna night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min gomer pyle 4,662
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min Le Jimbo 153,275
knox board of ed raising taxes 17 min voter 77
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 19 min colt 45 131,014
whos the best looking at Jackson msc 27 min bmx 3
new hunting and fishing store 31 min dirctions 3
opening in November 46 min hunter 5
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 5 hr really 13
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000