Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,634

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Good Morning

Owensboro, KY

#87580 Mar 21, 2013
Just dropping in to ask you birders about attracting pileated woodpeckers. First off, do I even want to go there? Are they even desirable? Second, exactly what type of feeder and food do I use for them? Thanks for any input !
Btw, the laundry soap and fabric softener is interesting . Im going to give that some thought. Maybe that's what our Amish neighbors use? Their laundry soap does leave a different scent on their clothes, but as you said, essential oils would help that! Hmmmm, maybe.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87583 Mar 21, 2013
There just was a squirrel that scared me half to death. I heard something on the side porch, and thought "who can that be?" I walked to the blinds and looked out, and there was a squirrel sitting ont he AC unit looking at me. Scared him. Scared me! lol!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#87585 Mar 21, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Nope, Betty, and Oglala... after reading about maintaining cats, I am more convinced than ever that the best place for a cat is outdoors. LOL
My cat came with the house, so to speak. Funny thing is, I didn't even want another cat! I'd had a few in the past and did't like having to worry about them being outdoors to be run over, attacked, end up missing for whatever reason, etc.. Odder still is that this cat used to BE an outdoors only cat. Poor thing was probably dumped. It happens a lot out here where I live. And thankfully I discovered eventually that he'd already been neutered.

But he adopted me, it wasn't the other way around. As family members and friends came to visit, he eventually became more and more tame. But then I found myself falling in love with the little bugger and his odd quirks. He'd always be waiting outside for me and my coffee mug every morning. Plus the dogs really liked him for some odd reason. That was strange enough in itself.

Now he rarely ever wants to go outside since I broke down and started letting him in a few years back during a particularly bad snow storm. I felt so bad about him being outside, even though he really didn't seem to mind it out there. So it's MY OWN FAULT that he's a lazy, purring, fat and happy couch 'tater now.
:)

He's done a good job though, catching more than one field mouse in the house during the last few years. And for that, he has more than earned his keep. Litter, vet and food costs per year aren't all that bad on me. I just budget for my critters and use critter food coupons like a mad woman, LOL.

It is what it is. I'm just a critter magnet. God blesses me with little hearts to care for. That's how I look at it, He simply provides. I'd not have it any other way.
<3

#87586 Mar 21, 2013
Another oddity that I forgot to add: He's not been declawed, yet he has never scratched or clawed at any of my furniture. He's a really good little kid!
Tom

Duluth, GA

#87587 Mar 21, 2013
They get old and die
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87588 Mar 21, 2013
Tom wrote:
They get old and die
People do too. Death is just a part of life. Without one, there can be no other.

#87589 Mar 21, 2013
Tom wrote:
They get old and die
Everything does.

On another note though, and sorry to change the subject: Have you ever seen a three thousand plus year old Cypress tree in person? They're so majestic! I visited the one in Florida called "The Senator" many many times before it was burned by a drug addict starting a fire at it's base a few years ago. It's neighboring tree, "Lady Liberty" is said to be over two thousand years old. Thankfully, that one still stands.

A sad thing that was, hearing of "The Senator" being destroyed that way.. I was livid. Human beings just suck. Most are not friends of nature by any means. I was horrified to hear that she burned that tree down like she did. It stood for well over three thousand years until a dope head sitting there getting her buzz on, burned it down.

A THREE THOUSAND YEAR OLD CYPRESS TREE! And it only took one idiot a few hours to destroy it overnight..

I need to do a Google search to find out what her charges eventually where one of these days. Whatever she got, it probably wasn't sufficient for what she did.
(Maybe I don't want to know after all)...

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#87590 Mar 21, 2013
??????-what
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87591 Mar 21, 2013
Happy Noon Bird threaders. I hope everyone is nice and warm since we woke up with 15 degrees temps. What???? It's suppose to be spring. lol

The birds are chirping like it is. I am enjoying this big fat robin that refuses to let the big black birds run it off from the bird feeder. Just too funny. The cats are in the window enjoying the fight.

Nope, I am glad you are going to get a new critter to fill the void of your loss. I have a big fat tom that adopted us when his owners left him while moving. I have had him for four years now although he really belongs to noone. I think he is the stud of the area. He roams, comes back to eat, drink fresh water and sleep it off in "his" cushioned chair or if it is freezing out he crawls into a pet carrier I put into a draw string garbage bag, wrapped in a moving blanket (keeps the cold from the holes in carrier) and then a nice fleece baby blanket to sleep on. He was wary of it at first, like I was trying to capture him or something. He eventually figured out it was there to keep him from the elements and uses it quite often. He is a pure joy. The two house cats (female) watch him from the window and sometimes goes to the door sniffing for him. Just too funny. I love him and if I haven't seen him for a couple days I worry.

Betty, your pet stories are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Plus the recipes for laundry day.

AW, I never pictured you a cat person. You and your dog just fit each other. He is adorable, floppy ear and all. lol

lala, hope you are feeling good and done with your taxes. I wish mine were done. I have to let someone else do them this year with extra funds incoming from retirement bonus and cash Mom left us. Ugh. I can't wait to see the grand total the IRS will want. My appointment is next week. I will be glad to get it over with.

I know the thread is slowing down. I don't think we have had the "hot flame" since UNA left. lol

Didn't see Blueminer posting, I hope he and his dad are doing okay. OJG? Hempburn? Hope everyone else is okay and getting ready for Spring/Summer.

Day two and in the 20's. Yuk It does give me time to work on the Spring cleaning concept so when it does get nice and warm again I won't be stuck indoors.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87592 Mar 21, 2013
NASA chief says only God can defend Earth against asteroid attack

We know for sure that asteroids hit Earth fairly often. What we don't know is how we should react when the big one finally comes. You might think that NASA would have solid, scientific advice on what to do, but you might be disappointed. NASA chief Charles Bolden, who went to a U.S. House of Representatives Science Committee hearing Tuesday looking for laser money, offered little hope.

While noting "the odds of a near-Earth object strike causing massive casualties and destruction of infrastructure are very small," he said that right now, the only course of action to avert total catastrophe would be to "pray." Assuming, of course, that Bruce Willis is busy that day.[Source]

http://now.msn.com/nasa-chief-advises-citizen...

The best defense is Prayer, but when NASA tells you that is all you have if disturbing to see. I would think if they can stop incoming missiles that they could stop an asteroid. Can't HAARP do that? lol
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87593 Mar 21, 2013
A great easy recipe for some cherry cheesecake I seen on facebook. They are so cute and yummy looking:

Cherry Cheesecake Bites

1 block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
jar of or fresh cherries
1 box of Graham crackers

Blend your softened cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Grind your graham crackers (Manual Food Processor to the rescue!)
Dip your cherries in the cream cheese mixture and then into the graham crackers.
Voila! Done in minutes!

recipe from Oh Bite It

The picture shows fresh cherries with the stems so you can pick them up and pop in your mouth. I am going to try them this summer.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87594 Mar 21, 2013
PEPPERONI/MOZZARELLA PULL APART BREAD!!!!

1/3 cup favorite flavored dipping oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 (16 ounce) pkgs pre-made pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
1 (7 oz) pkg sliced pepperoni
1 (8 oz) pkg shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Separate pizza dough into small bite sized pieces.
In a bowl add your favorite flavored dipping oil. Toss dough pieces in dipping oil to lightly coat.

Layer dough pieces in bottom of bundt or fluted tube pan, next layer sliced pepperoni, shredded cheese and sprinkle with garlic powder. Repeat layers again, and end with final layer of dough pieces.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till hot and bubbly.

Serve by pulling the bread apart into individual servings with optional marinara dipping sauce on the side.

Layer until about 2/3 of the pan is full.

Definitely plan for it to feed a hungry crowd. You can scale down the ingredients if you choose to feed a smaller crowd. You can serve it hot or room temperature.

These look so incredible! And so easy!

You can find this and other easy recipe from the Pampered Chef. The results looked awesome in the picture. The two recipes came to me on facebook but I printed them out and thought I would try them. Once I seen Betty's soap recipe I thought I would share these two. Enjoy
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87595 Mar 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
PEPPERONI/MOZZARELLA PULL APART BREAD!!!!
1/3 cup favorite flavored dipping oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 (16 ounce) pkgs pre-made pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
1 (7 oz) pkg sliced pepperoni
1 (8 oz) pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Separate pizza dough into small bite sized pieces.
In a bowl add your favorite flavored dipping oil. Toss dough pieces in dipping oil to lightly coat.
Layer dough pieces in bottom of bundt or fluted tube pan, next layer sliced pepperoni, shredded cheese and sprinkle with garlic powder. Repeat layers again, and end with final layer of dough pieces.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till hot and bubbly.
Serve by pulling the bread apart into individual servings with optional marinara dipping sauce on the side.
Layer until about 2/3 of the pan is full.
Definitely plan for it to feed a hungry crowd. You can scale down the ingredients if you choose to feed a smaller crowd. You can serve it hot or room temperature.
These look so incredible! And so easy!
You can find this and other easy recipe from the Pampered Chef. The results looked awesome in the picture. The two recipes came to me on facebook but I printed them out and thought I would try them. Once I seen Betty's soap recipe I thought I would share these two. Enjoy
And for desert; Monkey bread ! Take a can of cheap canned biscuits,{the little ones],pinch or cut them in chunks [quarters] dip them in melted butter, roll them in sugar and cinnamin, stack in cast iron skillet and bake till brown. Yum Yum !

#87596 Mar 21, 2013
You're making me terribly hungry... I'm still sticking to my diet though. So these home made yummies are off limits. I end up with too much to resist, hehe.

Today:
*An baby spinach, avocado, tomato and boiled egg salad for lunch.
*Seasoned oven broiled chicken, half a sweet 'tater and some broccoli for dinner.

#87597 Mar 21, 2013
*A BABY SPINACH, etc, etc, etc....

Oh, my word..
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87598 Mar 21, 2013
Small Earthquake Reported Near Downtown Los Angeles

Shaking was reported in Downey, Paramount and Long Beach after the 9:22 a.m. quake
Wednesday, Mar 20, 2013

A small earthquake was reported Wednesday morning southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

Shaking was reported in Downey, Paramount, Long Beach, East Los Angeles, Lynwood and downtown Los Angeles, according to visitors on NBC LA's Facebook page. The quake was reported at 9:22 a.m.
The location (map) was two miles southeast of Los Angeles and about two miles northeast of Huntington Park, according to the United States Geological Survey.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Earth...

Today's earthquakes so far:

Oklahoma
Magnitude: 3.0

Missouri - 2 so far today
Magnitude: 2.9

Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, Nevada also had small earthquakes today. Tornado in Geogia.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php...

Nicaragua 4.9 mag, Pakistan 4.5 mag Indonesia 4.3 mag, Iran 4.7 mag, Canada 4.1 mag, Spain 4.0 mag, Peru, Italy, France, Turkey, Iraq, and Chili

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

Madrid Fault Area seems to have small ones everyday now. Scary!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87599 Mar 21, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> And for desert; Monkey bread ! Take a can of cheap canned biscuits,{the little ones],pinch or cut them in chunks [quarters] dip them in melted butter, roll them in sugar and cinnamin, stack in cast iron skillet and bake till brown. Yum Yum !
I love that stuff but usually make it in a bundt cake pan. I love using my iron skillets so I will try that. How long does it usually take in the skillet? Now I am hungry for some. lol
Rapidfire

Corbin, KY

#87600 Mar 21, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
I love that stuff but usually make it in a bundt cake pan. I love using my iron skillets so I will try that. How long does it usually take in the skillet? Now I am hungry for some. lol
Well, in my skillet and oven, about twelve to fifteen minutes. Practice makes perfect, so with trial and error, and after you eat several pan-fulls, you will make it to perfection ! heehehee !
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87602 Mar 21, 2013
Rapidfire wrote:
<quoted text> Well, in my skillet and oven, about twelve to fifteen minutes. Practice makes perfect, so with trial and error, and after you eat several pan-fulls, you will make it to perfection ! heehehee !
Thanks, I figured it would be about the normal time for biscuits. You are right, practice makes perfect.

Have a great day!
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87603 Mar 21, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
You're making me terribly hungry... I'm still sticking to my diet though. So these home made yummies are off limits. I end up with too much to resist, hehe.
Today:
*An baby spinach, avocado, tomato and boiled egg salad for lunch.
*Seasoned oven broiled chicken, half a sweet 'tater and some broccoli for dinner.
Same here. Broccoli, spinach - fresh in a salad- asparagus. I use a kikkoman stir fry dressing for my stir fry. And I use as little chunks of chicken in my stir fry just to fill me up. Sweets- carbohydrates- are my downfall. Hehe. Partner has lost over 15 lbs. working out on the truck; I'm determined to lose 25 at home. Glad to hear you're doing better. Those critters are fortunate indeed to have you. I sadly notice so much neglect of animals in these parts. On another note I've been watching the big crows the past few days. Saw two yesterday perched by the street posed as if in conversation. Lol. I look forward to the next few days. I have been blessed with too much to let dreary weather and life's obstacles tear me down. Good day to you kind Folks.
@Betty , will check the oils on Etsy. I shop there as well (online). Great idea. Skin allergies here as well.
Hopefully all is well with OJG and her dad, many Blessings her way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 16 min U of L Brainballer 4,872
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min Cornelius Scudmister 153,433
Knox county taxpayers paying Barbourville Mayor 46 min Jjk 29
A Rat In Knox County 1 hr Genius 8
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Jobs Lost 26,274
knox board of ed raising taxes 2 hr sherry 81
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr BIG_STEVIE 16,169
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 6 hr Huh 19
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville