Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,691)

Showing posts 73,801 - 73,820 of81,540
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an easy problem to solve. Whatever Puxatawny Phil says, just believe the opposite.
You got that right!
So true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Hi all... Hope ur day has been swell... :)
mr a hole

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

why eat ground hog ?
when road kill is abundant and plentyfull in Columbia
B RAD

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
@AB.. best egg here was a triple yolk and it was about the size of a goose egg. Poor chicken. I did get one soft shelled egg that rolled around like jello and I had to pick it up with a spoon just so it would not make the nest sticky and wet.
HI

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

A beautiful day! The birds seem very happy.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hi bird thread peeps! Spring may officially be here, but you sure can't convince me of it yet. Cold out there today and the chickens water bowl had a layer of ice on the top. Spring? Really??
Not...
I have the most amazing visitor coming to the chicken feed pan every day for the last week though. A woodpecker has discovered where good groceries are put out every day, hehe! Yes, a woodpecker!! I have actually seen it out there four times already and watched it eat. I can also hear it out in the trees, squawking for it's mate. It's such a site to see a woodpecker, the squirrels and the chickens eating in perfect harmony. God is good.
I'm gradually getting over the death of one of my dear pets. It's been hard on me, so I've not had much to talk about on here. Hopefully the thread will pick back up again soon! It looks very slow lately.
Well, here's wishing that everyone has a grand day! I'm going to head out for an early dinner with a friend in a little bit. We're going out for some Chinese. And for a change, I'm truly hungry for once. It will be nice to get out of the house for a while and not think about my poor little critter that's now gone. I miss her dearly...
Take care till later!!
<3
I have a red cardinal that has found out that I spill scratch grains out of the plastic storage tub that I keep it in. He spends most of the day sitting on top the tub waiting for me to come make another spill and when I do, he does not fly very far away. I had a left over piece of metal roofing laying on the ground and dog has learned that the metal roof is warmer than the ground when the sun is shining and he spends a lot of time sitting on the metal. Critters are much smarter than we give them credit for being. Surely was windy today.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a red cardinal that has found out that I spill scratch grains out of the plastic storage tub that I keep it in. He spends most of the day sitting on top the tub waiting for me to come make another spill and when I do, he does not fly very far away. I had a left over piece of metal roofing laying on the ground and dog has learned that the metal roof is warmer than the ground when the sun is shining and he spends a lot of time sitting on the metal. Critters are much smarter than we give them credit for being. Surely was windy today.
'Evening to ya, AW. Yes, that wind was fierce today! More limbs in the yard here today too, but nothing else really large fell. For that, I'm thankful. By this time, everything that was going to fall probably has already anyhow... My yard people are no doubt going to demand extra for the first cut of the year. I can almost bank on it.. Honestly, they'd deserve it. I have millions of little twigs and small branches everywhere in the grassy area after this winter we've had.

And AW, you're SO right about the critters too. I sit here scratching my head more times than not while I watch the wildlife. Even observing the antics of my domestic critter kids too. Every domestic here is a rescue, but they all get along like they were born in the same room, on the same day, at the same second, from the same mother. No matter the breed, the species, the color, or the gender. They're amazing in the way they all get along with each other. Animals that would no doubt be arch enemies if they met out in the wild, coexist here in harmony. No one can logically say that animals DON'T have the ability to reason. Anyone who says they can't is in total denial and has probably never taken the time to watch them for very long.

I have a pair of wrens already moving nesting material in to one of the gourds that are hanging from the outer porch rafters. I don't know if this will be there the "real" nest or not. I've heard tell that they usually build a few fake "dummy" nests in the vicinity and from what I've seen years previous, I believe it. It's got to be a bit hard to thwart nest squatters who like to leave eggs and then the wrong bird parents are duped into doing the hard work of incubating and weening their young ones, LOL. Worse yet, thwart the predator birds who like to break eggs in nests so they can steal it for themselves. Pretty smart, huh? From both sides of the equation, you gotta admit, that's pretty danged smart..

It's SO cold tonight that I can hardly believe it's Spring. I'm about to go out and get a tanning bed membership for a month just to get some sunlight on my skin, fake or not, ROFLMBO!! Don't much care about the tan per se, I just want to see some bright light through my eyelids for a while, HAHAHA!! It's taking forever to be able to sit out on the porch and get some warmth on my aching old bones this year. What the?? That's all I got to say about that.. What the??? Old Punxsutawney Phil needs some career counseling. That whistle pig couldn't have been further off if they'd have taken him down to the Bahamas on Groundhog day..

Sorry to get long winded again, but just one more thing before I go: I am adopting another little critter. I've found that I can't shake this period of mourning for my other one that passed, so I'm going to fill the void with another needy little soul. A much littler needy soul this time, but still another blessing in disguise nonetheless. I have already found the perfect little heart that needs me and the other critters here for the rest of it's life. I'll pick it up sometime in the next few days.
I can't imagine a life without a "critter kingdom". Nor a life without me being THEIR human, hehe.
God is good.

Good night all.
(Again, sorry to get long winded once more. I always seem to manage doing that in here for some reason)...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Well, I had a comment to post. But for some reason it won't take. If I've been banned, I can't for the life of me imagine why. I never even utter a curse word on here. I don't get it. If this one shows up, it'll be a miracle.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

And that one posted?? What's going on?? I'll try it again.... Be right back.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Hmmm... Well I'll be darned. Now it posts??

Such are the mysteries of Topix-land I guess.

Later folks.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

this put the biggest smile on my face!

http://www.advocate.com/politics/religion/201...

Nonprofit Unveils Rainbow House Beside Westboro Baptist Church
The view outside the notoriously antigay Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., just got a whole lot gayer.
BY Sunnivie Brydum
March 19 2013 5:53 PM ET

Members of the antigay Westboro Baptist Church woke up to a technicolor surprise this morning, when a progressive nonprofit began painting a house directly across the street from Westboro's compound in the bright, bold colors of the rainbow flag.

Six months ago, Planting Peace, a nonprofit historically dedicated to environmental conservation, bought the house at 1200 S.W. Orleans St. in Topeka, Kan., directly across the street from the series of homes owned by Westboro members and the church itself, known as the Westboro "compound."

"I feel the Westboro Baptist Church is the poster child… that's pushing inequality," Planting Peace founder Aaron Jackson told The Advocate. "So I thought the best place to start was to counter the Westboro Baptist Church's message."

Jackson has been living in the house for the past month and a half, with the intent to turn it into The Equality House, a drop-in center that will support a variety of LGBT and antibullying efforts. Before that can happen, though, Jackson says he and his colleagues at Planting Peace want to raise $1 million to support existing equality and antibullying programs. Planting Peace has launched a CrowdRise page to support that goal, where the team has already raised more than $10,000. Find more photos of the house and information about the cause right here.

still laughing.....just awesome :)
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hmmm... Well I'll be darned. Now it posts??
Such are the mysteries of Topix-land I guess.
Later folks.
it hasent let me post in two days..... it look like it does on my pc... but when ever i leave the page completly and come back my post is not there...... one was about diy laundry soap... guess the thought of only spending a penny per load offends topix lmao.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
@Nope: I'm so sorry for your loss. It's like a member of the family died.
@Ancient Wolf: That's too bad about your rental property.But I can tell you this. Cats are neither destructive nor dirty. I have several in my house and there is NO cat odor at all. What you had was irresponsible tenants and irresponsible pet owners. Cats do not want to go into a filthy litter box, much the same as you would not want to go into a dirty bathroom. Well, you have the option of going into another stall, and if that did not please you, you could drive to the next rest stop to find a cleaner spot. Cats do not have those options. It is the owners' responsibility to keep the boxes CLEAM. With the new clumping litter, there is no excuse. Sorry for getting on my soapbox, I just feel sorry for the bad raps the cats get when lazy owners don't do what is necessary.
i know this is from Monday but was back reading and would just like to say i soooo agree! would also like to add that dirty ill maintained litter boxes breed intestinal parasites that can be passed on to humans and other cats and both can develop severe respiratory problems from the ammonia levels in the air if the box is not maintained. in my line of work i see and hear a lot of excuses (and i guess i sort of sympathize with some... you never really know about others situations) but honestly it really bugs me. last summer even though i was down almost a month when i hurt my knee i hopped to the computer chair every day so i could roll on back and scoop the litter...... my cats are vocal and used to being pampered and not above staging a mutiny. they wont stand for a dirty box a all.....they circle my feet every morning till all the bowls are full and the box is clean.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Arthur Dent wrote:
This thread is so surreal. Like the man who rules the world in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy talking randomly. It's like there is some hidden message in all this. Kinda freaks me out.
once you accept the four elephants and the turtle......every thing else makes sense, nothing hidden about it

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
<quoted text>
it hasent let me post in two days..... it look like it does on my pc... but when ever i leave the page completly and come back my post is not there...... one was about diy laundry soap... guess the thought of only spending a penny per load offends topix lmao.
I don't get it, Betty. Sometimes this site seems to take on a life of it's own and some of the very things that should be zapped get to stay, while honestly benign comments get the ax for some reason. I'd have liked to have seen your comment on the DIY laundry soap. Could you maybe try to repost it? I really enjoy reading those DIY articles and such.
:(

Great reading about that Westboro Church, by the way. About time someone hit them where it would hurt, LOL. There it will be, right in their homophobic eyeballs every time they exit that place. Excellent move, hehe!! Check, MATE! I LOVE IT!! Keep us updated on the happenings at the new place that's fighting back if you would.

(I'm a bit concerned that we may soon read of The Equality House being burned to the ground eventually though. Or even something worse happening to them because of those people at Westboro. I pray I'm wrong, but I can already see it happening in my minds eye).

I'm headed to bed now, so you have a great night! Rest well.

_-_Nope_-_
Peace, out.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

By the way, I just cross posted with your litter box comment. My cat gets extremely vocal if there is a leftover 'cat cookie' in his litter box, even if it landed overnight and I'm just getting up. It is what it is.

I'd rather him let me know though because the litter box is in the back bedroom and I don't want my dogs eating cat turds.
(Okay, come on now. I hear cyber chuckles in the background... But we all know that they do it, hehe)..

You're right about the disease, the parasites, etc. I'd MUCH rather him be the way he is. I appreciate his neediness in that aspect, LOL!!!

Good night, lol.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it, Betty. Sometimes this site seems to take on a life of it's own and some of the very things that should be zapped get to stay, while honestly benign comments get the ax for some reason. I'd have liked to have seen your comment on the DIY laundry soap. Could you maybe try to repost it? I really enjoy reading those DIY articles and such.
:(
Great reading about that Westboro Church, by the way. About time someone hit them where it would hurt, LOL. There it will be, right in their homophobic eyeballs every time they exit that place. Excellent move, hehe!! Check, MATE! I LOVE IT!! Keep us updated on the happenings at the new place that's fighting back if you would.
(I'm a bit concerned that we may soon read of The Equality House being burned to the ground eventually though. Or even something worse happening to them because of those people at Westboro. I pray I'm wrong, but I can already see it happening in my minds eye).
I'm headed to bed now, so you have a great night! Rest well.
_-_Nope_-_
Peace, out.
lol...... the diy laundry soap post was mainly a cautionary about how you should not let it come to a boil while cooking the soap (is you have ever been heating milk and its come to a boil too fast ...you get the picture i am sure...wish i could say this this was the first or even second time i have done this) well the kitchen floor is sparkly clean now :) and the reason im up at this insane hour. thank god i dont work on Thursdays and the munchkins all have prior engagements so no baby sitting either..... with any luck when i do hit the pillow i wont surface till noon. i will post the recipe for the soap and softner then im off to bed as well.

p.s. sorry to hear about your critters passing :( i am notorious for banning he use of a deceased pets name in my house for about six months so i just dont have to think about it and then getting one that looks just like them as a new addition. we all deal in different ways i guess. i get the whole "he who must not be named" complex from my step dad i think. his poor little wiener dog, named Dumas walker (lol rednecks), was hit by a car leaving their driveway about a month ago. every time someone comes over and mentions the dog he goes out and chops wood till they leave. my mom tried talking him into getting another one and he will have none of it tho... says he is never getting another dog till he knows that he is so old that he will out live it. but i think getting another pet is a great way to honor the memory of one thats passed on. i know its an old saying but this is true " you can't change the world for every animal, but for your animal, the world changes forever. " im sure your new pet won the lottery the day they met you.

have a good sleep and god bless
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
By the way, I just cross posted with your litter box comment. My cat gets extremely vocal if there is a leftover 'cat cookie' in his litter box, even if it landed overnight and I'm just getting up. It is what it is.
I'd rather him let me know though because the litter box is in the back bedroom and I don't want my dogs eating cat turds.
(Okay, come on now. I hear cyber chuckles in the background... But we all know that they do it, hehe)..
You're right about the disease, the parasites, etc. I'd MUCH rather him be the way he is. I appreciate his neediness in that aspect, LOL!!!
Good night, lol.
we gave the cats a walkin closet and put up a baby gate to keep poodle and munchkins out..... they would probably prefer not to have to jump in and out but they like the privacy... joe poodle is pretty admit that poop eating habits will not be broken so this was really the only option.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

now for the fabric softener

it really depends on what container used that decides how much you need of the ingredients.
my fabric softener container is a 164 ounce container that produces about 170 loads worth of softener.

so this is my recipe:

3 containers of cheap hair conditioner ( i get 3 11.5 ounce cheap vo5 bottles for a buck a piece)
but you can use what ever kind you like i just like the vo5 because when you combine the blackberry conditioner with the Shea cashmere conditioner it smells really close to the orchid allure downy i had used for years...

3 cups of white distilled vinegar ( this is your anti static)

really really hot water

mix together in your container and let sit at least two days.... it will be thin and reek of vinegar the first you make it but after a couple days the vinegar smell disappears and it thickens to a softener consistency.

you can also get blander smelling conditioner and just add some fragrance oil like with the soap so the scents match.

the main thing i have noticed with this is again, my skin don't itch as much.... a lot of store softeners i have known they break me out but there are all kinds of conditioners that give me no problems at all.

and i think this stuff results in softer linens than with the store brands.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

well on that note... good night all :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,801 - 73,820 of81,540
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

61 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min Mike Duquette 127,766
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 9 min Notead 359
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 17 min Limbertwig 144,588
Do people still cruise the strip on weekends? 58 min Nope 9
KC Basketball Coach 1 hr Well 46
Melissa Collett (May '12) 1 hr Mad 45
Brooke (Teeth) (Oct '09) 1 hr Amy 27
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••