Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,661

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87414 Mar 14, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Old man gout has smashed my big toe with a sledgehammer and woke me up.
I filed and paid income taxes for 47 years, that's long enough. Probably paid close to a half million in those years. I sure could use it now and I don't feel bad at all about being in the percentage that don't now earn enough to pay.
And anyone that claims that Social Security is a government handout, is a liar. I paid dearly for all those years and could have more now had I invested it myself, even at a low percentage rate.
Hope that toe is feeling better. My family member has started saving 15 percent weekly. In about 23 yrs, he'll have invested 300,000. He says I hope the government doesn't try to take it. Yes, I wish him well. It seems like the more one makes, the more is taken. You have your quarter;) and those chickens. Hehe. They got those bikinis out yet. Have a good evening.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87415 Mar 14, 2013
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
Hello my chirping friends,
I am sorry I have not been posting. I have extra research this week and next week...AND, as Lala would love for me to report, I have been taking too much social time! LOL Not the internet kind either. I think I need to check emails, my father said I emailed him weight loss stuff! OMGosh! He has his surgery on the 21st. <sigh> Between the worry for my father and the new friends, I have lost all focus, which is making it take a lot longer to get anything done.
I will post as much as I can, but it will be rough until after next week. I did want to stop and and pass out (((hugs))) and let you all know that you are always on my mind. Miss you guys!
Bless you, may your Dad be well dear. Have you in my thoughts;) Nice hearing from ya.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87416 Mar 14, 2013
Really nice day out today, a little cool in the morning but the jacket and working outside soon took care of that and by noon, I had drop the jacket and just go with a heavy shirt. Much accomplished toward doubling the size of my tool shed. Have a good evening folks. A good day of exercise/work will preclude having much Topix time this evening. Dog has already crashed. He works so hard. LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87417 Mar 14, 2013
Raining...Again.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#87418 Mar 14, 2013
whitehair wrote:
For years paid into SS. Finally found out to work on my own,purchase and paid into an annuity,now retired with twice what SS would pay.SS is not the best way,based on where you could be.Not only that,the gov`t reaches in and spends the SS trust fund.
You are absolutely right. When you pay in to social security, you are paying for the present pool of senior citizens. It is not a savings account for future use. It is well-worth purchasing an annuity, which can give you a better quality of life, financially speaking.

Location hidden

#87419 Mar 14, 2013
dr spark wrote:
i personally know 5 people collecting SSI disability ,...
3 of them are under 30 ,..,..they just dont like working ,..
now they can stay home and play on the Internet all day long ,..
they all sleep till noon ,....
stay up alll night long ,...
they got it made
two are in their 50's -
they joke about it , and call it early retirement
they think they are entitled to it all ,..
and think they deserve even more money
They are fools. What little they get will pay for only the basic necessities, with no extras. I would hate to be that young and have no goals, no pride, no plan. When everything comes crashing down, they are too old to get in the work force with any hope of a good job. The price you pay to develop a career results in greater rewards in the future, if/when they raise a family. Poor choices early in life starts to narrow your world until you find yourself in a box.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#87420 Mar 14, 2013
boo..... seriously snowing only in hardin county..... like having my own personal little cloud of doom. it was eighty two here last year on this day.

my poor aloes got a day out on the porch then had to be brought back in. hope they make it... i had like three big mamas and sixteen babes.... now i am down to the three mamas and only one baby is hanging on, i left it attached from last summer, probably the only reason its survived thus far, all the ones i transferred are done for. one of the mamas is trying to bounce back from a run in with the cat... don't think i will have that problem anymore, aloe being a natural laxative, don't think cat is doing to forget it anytime soon.
Don

Sioux Falls, SD

#87421 Mar 14, 2013
Scarecrow wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you explain the dead birds in Louisiana and Arkansas ???
Google Reptoid Aliens...
There are a lot of Ky Fried Chicken joints in the South.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87422 Mar 14, 2013
Dog and I went to bed with the chickens and got up with the owls. Now what? Maybe something to chase Arthur out of the bed and go back with the owls and get up with the chickens. LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#87424 Mar 15, 2013
Another nice day. Suppose to be nearly 70! Going to like that!

Location hidden

#87425 Mar 15, 2013
Good morning, my feathered friends. After a horrific week, I have finally collected and organized all my tax material, and gave the hard job to hubby. He is responsible for getting the "tax package" out of my sight and off through the mail to our accountant. Even if we have to pay in to the state a little bit, it is such a relief to get that crap done. This reinforces my idea of a simplfied tax structure, with no deductions and no tax credits. Everybody would have to pay their fair share, and we would be done with it. No chance of that happening in my lifetime, anyway.\

Blirds are chirping and happily preparing nexts for the coming spring season. I just wish that they would consider getting out of my gutters to prepare in a more appropriate place.

Well, I'm going to cruise the web for a few minutes and then take a much-needed nap. I'll be popping in here and there, but y'all have a good day.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87426 Mar 15, 2013
Oglala wrote:
Good morning, my feathered friends. After a horrific week, I have finally collected and organized all my tax material, and gave the hard job to hubby. He is responsible for getting the "tax package" out of my sight and off through the mail to our accountant. Even if we have to pay in to the state a little bit, it is such a relief to get that crap done. This reinforces my idea of a simplfied tax structure, with no deductions and no tax credits. Everybody would have to pay their fair share, and we would be done with it. No chance of that happening in my lifetime, anyway.\
Blirds are chirping and happily preparing nexts for the coming spring season. I just wish that they would consider getting out of my gutters to prepare in a more appropriate place.
Well, I'm going to cruise the web for a few minutes and then take a much-needed nap. I'll be popping in here and there, but y'all have a good day.
I always filed my own and in the last few years of filing, I used TurboTax for "Home and Business" version by Intuit and only used an accountant one time and found that I not only paid the dude, but it cost me more in taxes than I should have paid. Turbotax has a drop down menu of questions and walks one through every possible scenario. It is quite thorough. And no, I don't work for INTUIT. LOL

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#87427 Mar 15, 2013
yep
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87429 Mar 15, 2013
Good morning bird threaders. Hope everyone had a peaceful night. Sun is shining, big fat robins are singing, weekend is here, Wildcats play tonight, and life is good. I seen this video last night in the wee hours while scanning the news. I love it. It is adorable.

White lion and dog become best friends at zoo (VIDEO)

A zoo in Australia has become home to a decidedly odd couple: a young white lion and a dog that have become companions.

The Darling Downs Zoo in Pilton, Queensland, has posted a delightful video of the pair, named Kwanza (lion) and Honey (dog).

They met when Kwanza’s mother stopped producing milk. Zoo caretakers had to feed the cub themselves, and Honey came along for the ride.

In the video, the two animals are clearly affectionate toward each other, with Honey wagging her tale as the two wait for a zoo gate to open and allow them to interact. They quickly do, rubbing against each other in a warm greeting before walking off to play, side by side.

However, it’s unlikely they will remain playmates forever. Kwanza, who was born in November, is still very young. When he becomes an adult, he may become too big for Honey (the average African lion weighs between 300 and 500 pounds).

Much like white tigers, white lions are not true albinos but get their distinctly colored coats due to a genetic abnormality. They retain a mythical status in some parts of South Africa, although they are also reportedly subjected to ritualistic hunts that threaten their already limited numbers.

Their existence was officially confirmed only in 1975 by animal biologist Chris McBride, who documented a white lion in a South African area known as Timbavati.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/white-li...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87430 Mar 15, 2013
For the Birds. Check out the pictures and the rest of the article:

March 14, 2013
Did Four-Winged Birds and Dinos Fly the Ancient Skies?

Are four wings better than two? Not for airborne dinosaurs and early birds, according to a new study. Chinese researchers believe the very first birds inherited a four-wing configuration from their dinosaur ancestors. They later shed their second set of wings, however, so that their legs and feet could serve them better during takeoff and landing.

If bird watchers could travel back 100 million years, they would see double, according to new research. At the dawn of bird history, early fliers sported not one but two sets of feathers, Chinese paleontologists claim in the latest issue of Science. Presenting an analysis of 11 bird skeletons from the Lower Cretaceous, they speculate that the first birds, like their dinosaur ancestors, had four wings that may all have been used for flight.

Nearly all experts agree that birds evolved from other feathered dinosaurs.(Since birds themselves are considered dinosaurs, paleontologists use the term “non-avian dinosaurs” for extinct creatures of the Jurassic Park variety.) In recent years, researchers have determined that some of these bird precursors grew aerodynamic feathers on both their arms and legs, and it’s been theorized that at least one—the pigeon-sized dinosaur known as Microraptor—flew on four wings. But until now, scientists could only speculate that early, or basal, birds also had flying feathers on their hindlimbs.

http://www.history.com/news/did-four-winged-b...

Since: Jul 12

Houston, TX

#87431 Mar 15, 2013
Ralph and Norris went bear hunting in Montana. While Ralph stayed in the cabin, Norris went out looking for a bear. He soon found a huge bear, shot at it but only wounded it. The enraged bear charged toward him. His rifle jammed, so he dropped it and started running for the cabin as fast as he could.

Now, Norris was pretty fleet of foot, but the bear was just a little faster, and gained on him with every step. Just as Norris reached the open cabin door, he tripped and fell flat. Too close behind to stop, the bear tripped over him and went rolling into the cabin.

Norris jumped up, ran outside, closed the cabin door, and yelled to his friend inside, "You skin this one while I go get another one!"
old sparky

AOL

#87432 Mar 15, 2013
BIG_STEVIE wrote:
Ralph and Norris went bear hunting in Montana. While Ralph stayed in the cabin, Norris went out looking for a bear. He soon found a huge bear, shot at it but only wounded it. The enraged bear charged toward him. His rifle jammed, so he dropped it and started running for the cabin as fast as he could.
Now, Norris was pretty fleet of foot, but the bear was just a little faster, and gained on him with every step. Just as Norris reached the open cabin door, he tripped and fell flat. Too close behind to stop, the bear tripped over him and went rolling into the cabin.
Norris jumped up, ran outside, closed the cabin door, and yelled to his friend inside, "You skin this one while I go get another one!
yea ,...i guess
you just saw the old movie ''Jeremiah Johnson"

Location hidden

#87433 Mar 15, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I always filed my own and in the last few years of filing, I used TurboTax for "Home and Business" version by Intuit and only used an accountant one time and found that I not only paid the dude, but it cost me more in taxes than I should have paid. Turbotax has a drop down menu of questions and walks one through every possible scenario. It is quite thorough. And no, I don't work for INTUIT. LOL
Oh, you're most likely right, but it is just that I go way back with my accountant, and he's been doing taxes and recommendations for saving/investing for the past 26 years. I know that I could do it lots cheaper, and soon we won't need to file our taxes, so I continue on. After all these years, he's like a friend. LOL
old sparky

AOL

#87434 Mar 15, 2013
unless you make over $ 99,000.00 a year ,...
you should do your own taxes
qwerty

United States

#87435 Mar 15, 2013
Guy Clark - Home grown tomatoes

http://youtu.be/6TWwyhCVBDg

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min The Apostle 7,275
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 10 min really? 45
knox board of ed raising taxes 12 min right?! 120
Stealing from child's grave 20 min gimme a big nickle 17
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 35 min DITCH MITCH 155,478
T and L pawn 1 hr True Anon 2
Joe and Teresa 1 hr I wonder 13

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]