Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
73,341 - 73,360 of 81,569 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

@Nope - I pray you and your home will be safe. That is wild. I hope you check back in soon and let us know you are ok.

@Abeliever - I use Norton. It has prevented many attacks from websites...even the most trusted ones. It has missed a trojan for a couple weeks, but soon they figure it out and update the program. Not sure if it is better, but I stick with it.

~~~Breaking News~~~

Hugo Chavez has died. I just recieved a shock when I read the news headlines briefly as I loaded up to do some research. I had just said this morning that he was going to die...I just figured since his treatments have been so rough, but did not expect him gone so soon. I guess I should have. He has been off the world stage for a bit now.

The world is my playground and Hugo Chavez made the playground fun and interesting. I believe that he was a good leader for his people and made great changes in the lives of the poor in his country. His death has changed my playground and I will miss Hugo Chavez very much.=(

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
That rain and wind is just what we had a couple hours ago and then it changed to the white stuff. Big flakes, it is all over the car and grass, but melting when it hits the sidewalk, driveway or road. At least for now.
OJG, I also have Window 7 home premium. My McAfee total protection is about to expire. Anything better out there?
Nope, when I addressed everyone with that long post instead of replying to everyone, I was putting the numbers in the box and it just sort of refreshed and it was gone like when we use to hit reply to comments that topix was zapping and as you were posting I guess topix was zapping and took all replies with it. That is exactly how it went. Weird.
Hope everyone has a great evening.
(I just snuck back online. Now it's eerily quiet out there, but I'm waiting for all hell to break loose again. That really took me by surprise and now I get to worry about having another tree chopped up.. Guess the snow is on it's way now AB)?

I don't know what could be going on with your comments. What number was your missing post, AB? If I can find the missing number, then I'd be willing to send in feedback for you. But I think, from what you said anyway, that you ran over the time limit thing. I wish I worked for them sometimes. It would be easier to figure out these mysteries.
(Then again, could you only imagine having to make a living from reading all of the nastiness on some of these threads day in and day out? I'd end up in an insane asylum, foaming at the mouth and throwing my own feces at imaginary Topix posters, hehe. Rubber padded cell plus Thorazine drip = Slightly additional charge).

I've never had anything just up and disappear like that without rhyme nor reason. Usually I can figure it out. But this one? Nope....

Anyway, I'm stumped. Unless you took too long to post it, nothing else makes much sense to me.

By the way: Mr Bill Meck, chief meteorologist for Lex18 news, FINALLY just addressed this wind and storm situation.. Said it was headed my way. ROFLMBO!!
(Bubba, it's already been here, done that and GONE. Geez. Anyone have a spare Valium or two for your Topix buddy Nope? My nerves are shot now. One tree down, limbs everywhere, dogs in distress because storms scare them. Chickens, soaking wet and cackling at the door. Oh, did I forget to mention they don't like bad storms either)????
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
@Nope - I pray you and your home will be safe. That is wild. I hope you check back in soon and let us know you are ok.
@Abeliever - I use Norton. It has prevented many attacks from websites...even the most trusted ones. It has missed a trojan for a couple weeks, but soon they figure it out and update the program. Not sure if it is better, but I stick with it.
~~~Breaking News~~~
Hugo Chavez has died. I just recieved a shock when I read the news headlines briefly as I loaded up to do some research. I had just said this morning that he was going to die...I just figured since his treatments have been so rough, but did not expect him gone so soon. I guess I should have. He has been off the world stage for a bit now.
The world is my playground and Hugo Chavez made the playground fun and interesting. I believe that he was a good leader for his people and made great changes in the lives of the poor in his country. His death has changed my playground and I will miss Hugo Chavez very much.=(
I just seen that on the nightly news. Went and got some chili/cheese/fritos (skipping the dogs) and sat down just in time to see Brian Williams say he had died.

I went with McAfee because that is what protected my gov't computer and it has always done it's job. I will probably just renew it.

Our white flakes has stopped but the local news says it will start up after midnight with 2-4 inches by daybreak. The wind has kicked back up again though. Did everyone know today was a statewide tornado drill? I could hear the sirens. They went off for about 15 minutes. LOUD
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Israel on alert as locusts hit neighboring Egypt

JERUSALEM (AP)ó Israel is on a locust alert as swarms of the destructive bugs descend on neighboring Egypt ahead of the Passover holiday.

Israel's Agriculture Ministry set up an emergency hotline Monday and is asking Israelis to be vigilant in reporting locust sightings to prevent an outbreak.

Locusts have a devastating effect on agriculture by quickly stripping crops.

Swarms of locusts have descended on Egypt, raising fears they could spread to Israel.

The locust alert comes ahead of the Passover festival, which recounts the biblical story of the Jewish exodus from Egypt. According to the Bible, a plague of locusts was one of 10 plagues God imposed on Egyptians for enslaving and abusing ancient Hebrews.

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-alert-locusts-hi...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
(I just snuck back online. Now it's eerily quiet out there, but I'm waiting for all hell to break loose again. That really took me by surprise and now I get to worry about having another tree chopped up.. Guess the snow is on it's way now AB)?
I don't know what could be going on with your comments. What number was your missing post, AB? If I can find the missing number, then I'd be willing to send in feedback for you. But I think, from what you said anyway, that you ran over the time limit thing. I wish I worked for them sometimes. It would be easier to figure out these mysteries.
(Then again, could you only imagine having to make a living from reading all of the nastiness on some of these threads day in and day out? I'd end up in an insane asylum, foaming at the mouth and throwing my own feces at imaginary Topix posters, hehe. Rubber padded cell plus Thorazine drip = Slightly additional charge).
I've never had anything just up and disappear like that without rhyme nor reason. Usually I can figure it out. But this one? Nope....
Anyway, I'm stumped. Unless you took too long to post it, nothing else makes much sense to me.
By the way: Mr Bill Meck, chief meteorologist for Lex18 news, FINALLY just addressed this wind and storm situation.. Said it was headed my way. ROFLMBO!!
(Bubba, it's already been here, done that and GONE. Geez. Anyone have a spare Valium or two for your Topix buddy Nope? My nerves are shot now. One tree down, limbs everywhere, dogs in distress because storms scare them. Chickens, soaking wet and cackling at the door. Oh, did I forget to mention they don't like bad storms either)????
Yep, you got it Nope, snow is on it's way. Big flakes, steady coming down, then back to the wind howling, and later more snow with accumulation for most of Kentucky. Hang in there. I hate storms too. Especially if I am by myself.

It was the first post this morning right after Betty:

Abeliever
Elizabethtown, KY
10 hrs ago

Good morning bird threaders. After writing a note to each of you it apparently shot to cyber space and I am not playing games with topix this morning. Maybe after second cup of coffee. Topix can suck so bad sometimes. I am not writing all of that over again. So have a good morning, I will check in later. Birds are calling, so I will go feed them before the rain comes.

I may have answered the phone and took too long to post it. It was weird. I had 3 numbers in the box. It was just like back when we were replying to Una/Imposter and they were removing them at the same time. Remember the big gaps before we all buried the "mean" hatchet? haha That has to be it.

Looks like the storm tracker says under a winter advisory until 1pm tomorrow. Slick spots after midnight. I hope all our trucker friends are safe out there. Glad I am not stuck in an airport in Chicago. lol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

I didn't hear the practice warnings here. But I never would. I'm too far out for any kind of warnings to reach.

Two years ago a real tornado was headed my way. The red letters going across bottom of the t.v. screen suddenly said my town was right in it's path and to seek immediate shelter, blah blah blah. Then suddenly POOF! Off goes my electric.

Just as I'm reading that a tornado is headed at me, the lights go out. God help me, LOL, but if I didn't almost poop clear down into my socks. Then a gigantic Ash tree fell as I was looking out at it from the doorway...

I seem to spend two seasons a year here having downed trees taken care of. Spring and Fall both, and always from storms. Sometimes they fall where they have to be dealt with, sometimes I can leave them lay because they're at the wood line already.

The only thing we have out this way is that reverse 911 thingie. Sometimes it calls ahead, but usually it doesn't reach in time. The storm is already gone and then I'll get a weather related call to let me know it's going to storm, ROFLMBO.

Quite a contrast from where I moved here from.... But it's okay. I still love Kentucky!!
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

"Nope" we got a reversed 911 alert yesterday telling us the drill was going on and the sirens would be tested for this morning. I have a firefighter in the family so we get pretty good updated news we pass throughout the family long before that alert call comes from EMS reversed 911. That is another reason I keep the landline. Mostly because when we got the ice, cell phones didn't work, but the landline did. Plus it filters those who ignore the do not call lists.

Wind has died back down for now. Temp is dropping.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
"Nope" we got a reversed 911 alert yesterday telling us the drill was going on and the sirens would be tested for this morning. I have a firefighter in the family so we get pretty good updated news we pass throughout the family long before that alert call comes from EMS reversed 911. That is another reason I keep the landline. Mostly because when we got the ice, cell phones didn't work, but the landline did. Plus it filters those who ignore the do not call lists.
Wind has died back down for now. Temp is dropping.
LOL! I didn't even get THAT call, hehe. Not the I'm surprised. But it's okay. As long as I can stand on my own two feet, I'll be fine no matter what comes. All of us in this bird thread would be, I venture to say. We're good that way.

I believe we all know by now that "it's" coming... We're just not sure exactly what "it's" going to be, or when "it" will come. But I can tell that we're all going to be as fine as we can be during that time. We've shared survival tips, told each other the stories of the old days and how our elders got by day to day, etc. I hope that somewhere along the way, someone else has picked up a few things to help themselves when "it" happens.

I think if anyone is able to make "it", we will. Too bad that our thread probably won't be accessible once S really does HTF...
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I didn't even get THAT call, hehe. Not the I'm surprised. But it's okay. As long as I can stand on my own two feet, I'll be fine no matter what comes. All of us in this bird thread would be, I venture to say. We're good that way.
I believe we all know by now that "it's" coming... We're just not sure exactly what "it's" going to be, or when "it" will come. But I can tell that we're all going to be as fine as we can be during that time. We've shared survival tips, told each other the stories of the old days and how our elders got by day to day, etc. I hope that somewhere along the way, someone else has picked up a few things to help themselves when "it" happens.
I think if anyone is able to make "it", we will. Too bad that our thread probably won't be accessible once S really does HTF...
I agree. With this thread even those who have called us "nuts" in a tree will go hmmmmmmmm what did those bird nuts say about survival kits? Where were those earthquakes suppose to be? Which direction do I go to save my family? Among other things. I think the Madrid Fault blowing is going to be our SHTF, with the FEMA National Earthquake Drill May 2011, FEMA Camps, FEMA body bags, FEMA food rations ordered etc...that was posted earlier on makes me believe earthquake or EMP attack. Pure panic either way. Guess it really is up to our Maker. I keep the faith despite all the hate and turmoil in HIS world.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Abeliever wrote:
That rain and wind is just what we had a couple hours ago and then it changed to the white stuff. Big flakes, it is all over the car and grass, but melting when it hits the sidewalk, driveway or road. At least for now.
OJG, I also have Window 7 home premium. My McAfee total protection is about to expire. Anything better out there?
Nope, when I addressed everyone with that long post instead of replying to everyone, I was putting the numbers in the box and it just sort of refreshed and it was gone like when we use to hit reply to comments that topix was zapping and as you were posting I guess topix was zapping and took all replies with it. That is exactly how it went. Weird.
Hope everyone has a great evening.
Yes, AB ESET or NOD32 is excellent security wear. I caught a virus on Bing's front page with McaFee. It's a German company if I recall correctly that will be able to put you on their grid. You will have to pay about $60 per year. I highly recommend this company. Just research them though. It might not be to your liking;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>I think the Madrid Fault blowing is going to be our SHTF, with the FEMA National Earthquake Drill May 2011, FEMA Camps, FEMA body bags, FEMA food rations ordered etc...that was posted earlier on makes me believe earthquake or EMP attack. Pure panic either way. Guess it really is up to our Maker. I keep the faith despite all the hate and turmoil in HIS world.
I tend to agree. Remember the links that we found that had honest to goodness CONTRACTS for bids? FEMA was wanting cotton sheets, they HAD to be cotton, bottled water, etc? WalMart actually won a few of those governmental contracted bids, particularly for the bottled water, if I remember correctly.

I think if a natural disaster strikes and I survive the initial onslaught, it's going to be my fellow human beings that I'll be in more danger from than anything else nature could throw at me.

Isn't that a sobering thought? Having to fear your own fellow human beings in order to survive?? They'll try to rob and pillage anything they can, those who aren't prepared will..

I sometimes just want God to hurry up and come back for us all. Really, I do. I hope my critters can go too. I certainly fear that I'd hesitate to jump on that proverbial cloud headed toward the heavens if they can't go with me....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Hey, I just remembered another thing:

FEMA was also trying to contract for "UNDERWATER RECOVERY" BODY BAGS. I'd forgotten that until just now.

Where, oh where, are those stories about all of this that we all posted on here so long ago now.... I wonder how far back they are and if I could ever find them now. I think I'll YouTube it and see if I can find these things again for some of the newbies here..
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree. Remember the links that we found that had honest to goodness CONTRACTS for bids? FEMA was wanting cotton sheets, they HAD to be cotton, bottled water, etc? WalMart actually won a few of those governmental contracted bids, particularly for the bottled water, if I remember correctly.
I think if a natural disaster strikes and I survive the initial onslaught, it's going to be my fellow human beings that I'll be in more danger from than anything else nature could throw at me.
Isn't that a sobering thought? Having to fear your own fellow human beings in order to survive?? They'll try to rob and pillage anything they can, those who aren't prepared will..
I sometimes just want God to hurry up and come back for us all. Really, I do. I hope my critters can go too. I certainly fear that I'd hesitate to jump on that proverbial cloud headed toward the heavens if they can't go with me....
I agree, they will try to take from their neighbors when they get hit unprepared. Guess that is why most Americans have at least one if not many guns in the home. I agree with you on wishing sometimes He would return for us before it all does hit the fan. I know He has the plan though. What will be will be.

Yes, critters go too!:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey, I just remembered another thing:
FEMA was also trying to contract for "UNDERWATER RECOVERY" BODY BAGS. I'd forgotten that until just now.
Where, oh where, are those stories about all of this that we all posted on here so long ago now.... I wonder how far back they are and if I could ever find them now. I think I'll YouTube it and see if I can find these things again for some of the newbies here..
Actually they are all on the FEMA website. You can read the contracts etc...I would guess the info posted here was 6 months into the thread. I am just guessing and I posted a bunch of it. You can type it in youtube and produce most of it gathered together in one place. I remember all of it. There was even a FEMA camp/supplies or something around the Bluegrass Depot wasn't there. I can barely remember all of it. I might have some it in the SHTF file. lol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

AB, I know it was a long time ago, back when we all were even putting our prepping lists on here and our supply items. I learned of a couple of new items that I decided that I wanted and additionally did add, but for the most part I was pretty much good to go already.

I'm still up to it, rotating and restocking those dried foods as I can. Critter food has been my first priority here of late for some reason. I make sure they each have at minimum three 20 pound bags of food each set back. That includes the cat food, but the bags I hoard aren't as large for him as they are for the dogs. You just have to keep it rotated, is all.

Matter of fact, I need to check the expiration dates on my water purification tabs. I think they're getting close to done..

I recently learned that some of these water purification tablets aren't healthy for your critters and could actually kill them, so beware people.. I have an article somewhere in my files on it and if I can find it I'll post...
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

I was in Kroger getting a few things and 'that's the night that the lights went out in Georgia" or Kroger or twice since I got home. Slush on the highway is leaving fast. Little creek is "rolling on the river".

Trailers for sale or rent (not)
rooms to let 50 cents
NO PHONE, no food or pets (last 2 lie)
aint got no cigarettes (that's good)
smoke old stogies I have found (not)
short but not too big around (who cares)

I'M A MAN OF MEANS BY NO MEANS
KING OF THE ROAD hahahaha

I have to be KING.. no one else lives here. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

flashlight close by, Battery lantern by the door, kerosene lamp filled and has a new wick, wood burner is cranking and plenty of split oak on the brick work entrance area. Kroger had milk and bread.

If the CREATOR sees fit for me to not blow away (as HE has done before in 2 hurricanes and 1 tornado), I will be fine so I about as well go rest my eyeballs. Good Night folks, PEACE to all and be safe.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

The first therapy dog was a little terrier named Smoky. She served during WW II. She weighed a mere 4 lbs. Wikipedia. I read the article about her heroism. Just sweet:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Ole man Winter is fighting with the March Winds and we are suppose to SPRING forward on Sunday for DST. lol

Snowing like crazy, temps falling, starting to accumulate on the driveway, sidewalk and road.

Hope everyone is warm and cozy and in dreamland.:)
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

For lala:

18 images of sinkholes that left deep impressions around the globe

When late Florida resident Jeffrey Bush was swallowed deep into the maw of a sinkhole that opened up beneath his bedroom recently, it brought to light the spontaneous horror that Mother Nature is capable of. The holes, caused by chemically dissolving rock, can range in size from roughly 3 feet to a monstrous 2,000 feet, and can form quite suddenly, as exemplified by the tragedy in Florida. Check out these 18 images from around the planet ó sinkholes arenít particular ó thatíll make you think twice about where you step.

http://now.msn.com/giant-sinkholes-around-the...

Couldn't find an update on the one in Louisiana.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 34 min Le Jimbo 146,188
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr oscar 16,116
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr jamie 128,588
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr terri 26,184
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr shew 1,014
Stivers Center fixes 3 hr City Slicker 26
Maggie Mills is on meth really bad she has sore... 4 hr Georgie 10
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••