Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,722

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#86997 Mar 5, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
You know one thing that many people have either forgotten about, and the young people probably have never even been told?
Our vaccination scars for polio and small pox.
I'd bet you ten bucks that you won't run into many young people who'd even know what that scar on all of our forearms was all about, or why we have them...
After thirty years of construction work, getting all banged up , I probably could'nt find mine if I looked for it. I believe I have more scars than frankenstien .

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#86998 Mar 5, 2013
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew that chickens kept snakes away, but never knew how. Very interesting! Well, it will look like winter in th summer around here!LOL There will be a layer of moth balls all around my place. I wonder if it is legal to own a mongoose in Kentucky?
Snakes sometimes will eat other snakes.. And don't forget, we have natural predators in Kentucky:
Owls, coyotes (believe it or not, a coyote?), bobcats, foxes, raccoons, snapping turtles and crows.

You CAN purchase Mongoose oil, you know. Maybe Google it. I would imagine it to cost a pretty penny though. I think your best bet is to spread moth balls around the outside parameter of your home itself, and then just be careful while you let nature do Her thing.

I've lived out here for a long time now and have never run across anything too nasty yet that put me in immediate danger. Never found a snake IN my house here yet either. I mostly see black snakes, tree snakes and rat or corn snakes outside while I'm fooling around in my gardens or walking in the woods.. But you gotta keep your eyes open and your ears keen. Don't loose focus, even thought it's hard when you're out in nature. Copperheads nests are said to smell like cucumbers, and I have smelled that. Didn't investigate, I just changed my course. Cotton mouths? Simply sneaky and dangerous. But as long as you watch where you're going, there isn't a snake out there that will chase you down to bite you.
(Keep your ears open because you'll hear a rattle snake LONG before you'll likely see it).

I don't know if you're living in the boondocks or not, but around here I usually have plenty of all the above mentioned as far as 'snake chasers' go, even fox.. Just the 'good' insects seem to be going missing. Which is going to cause a domino affect if something is out of kilter..

#86999 Mar 5, 2013
RAPIDFIRE wrote:
@ NOPE : PEEP-EYE ! lol
LOL!

Always watching....
(In stealth mode more times than not, hehe).
<<<Insert evil grin>>>
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87000 Mar 5, 2013
so true wrote:
This is one big High 5 to all of you , who have done the following..
Churned butter , or buttermilk
Made homemade ice cream
Made homemade souse( pigs head )
Quilted with the old timing hanging boards
Went to the five and dime
Road in those old little metal cars( wish I still had mine)
Drank, onion tea, for colic
Had a chicken scratch ya , as it ran over you to help cure the pox
Picked black berries , all day and scratched all night from the chiggers
Lit your room up many nights, with lighting bugs
Swang on the porch swing all night with your love
Oh one could go on and on.....
Or tied a june bug on a string
caught night crawlers for fishing
ran a trot line
used an outhouse and a Montgomery Wards catalogue
made a spool willy with a thread spool,a rubber band, and a match
went to a store where they used a hook to get high up dusty cans
Shopped for the perfect feed sack to make skirts for the girls
watched them roll their hair with tin can pieces wrapped in rags
Bought an RC and a moon pie for 10 cents.. 5 cents each
worked most all day hoeing the garden for the 10 cents
cleaned out hog guts, then boiled them for sausage casings
turned the hand crank sausage grinder way into the night
shelled walnuts and went to school with stained hands
went sleigh riding on an old car hood
plowed behind a mule that had been eating green onions.. whew!!
dipped wiggle tails off the rain barrel water so clothes could be washed with a scrub board
squirted milk from Ol' Bossy into a cat's face
had a wet corn cob fight with your cousins (that was the best fun)
tied a tooth to a string and a door knob, waiting for someone to open the door
watched your mama bed down the baby in a drawer or a box
Had to wait until you were 12 years old to visit the hospital
Got your driver's license and bought a car for $115 (a summer's work).
sprinkled lime down the toilet hole
Hoped the chickens hanging out under there did not bite your hiney LOL... and those were the GOOD OLD DAYS?

#87001 Mar 5, 2013
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
LOL!!!!!!!!!! Silly ol' Topix! Now I have 90 of the same posts.
WOW! I'm having no trouble whatsoever here. I don't get it. But I have a clue, so OJG please try this:

On the Topix page, right click and then hit "View Page Info".
(But don't do it in this comment box. Do it on a main frame/border of the page or something).
Then: Click on the "Security" tab.
Click "View Cookies"
Click "Remove all cookies" and then also click that 'x' by the top where it says Topix. Then clear all cookies AGAIN from the same box.

See if that helps you and then let me know. I have a couple more tricks I might be able to pull out of my sleeve.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#87002 Mar 5, 2013
@ AW ; and hide in the weeds by the road and wait for a car to come by,(which back then took a while) and throw an old Hub-cap in the road, and yell out ; HUB-CAP , you lost your hubcap ! of course they would stop and walk around to check all four. then we would run like the devil ! I know, that was mean, but WE did'nt have computers and such, so we had to be creative !...Also remember the willow switches on my butt ! hahaha!

#87003 Mar 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
ran a trot line
dipped wiggle tails off the rain barrel water so clothes could be washed with a scrub board
Hoped the chickens hanging out under there did not bite your hiney LOL... and those were the GOOD OLD DAYS?
Yep! Except I never wore a feed sack skirt, I know some who did though. My baby sister, the one I saw today in her little metal car with her pony tails and red ribbons, rested for the first 5 days of her live in a dresser drawer, hehe... And I'd forgotten COMPLETELY about those wiggle tails!! You're right!! I didn't even like washing my hair from the grands rain barrel water if they were in there, LOL!! WOW! A blast from the past. I know my baths were in a steel wash tub with water heated on the pot belly coal stove every summer when I was a little kid down there, haha.

But yes, I still think those were the good old days. And in case we ever have to go back to living that way again, we'll sure know how to do it.
:)
So true

Morgantown, KY

#87004 Mar 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
ran a trot line
did most of those as well. I slept in a drawer till I got too big for it,sometimes I wish I was little enough to be in that box again. Oh we'll my next one will be much larger. Lol
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87005 Mar 5, 2013
Powdered sulfur, mothballs and cat litter in cracks of floors deter poisonous snakes . The nonpoisonous ones should not be so worrisome. You can also buy traps or make snake traps. Never used them as I have no fear of reptiles since the only fear I have are of terrorists. Hehe. Oh, and the destruction of the world. Hope, it helps.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#87006 Mar 5, 2013
RAPIDFIRE wrote:
@ AW ; and hide in the weeds by the road and wait for a car to come by,(which back then took a while) and throw an old Hub-cap in the road, and yell out ; HUB-CAP , you lost your hubcap ! of course they would stop and walk around to check all four. then we would run like the devil ! I know, that was mean, but WE did'nt have computers and such, so we had to be creative !...Also remember the willow switches on my butt ! hahaha!
Mom made us cut our own willow switches. I learned to get the longest one possible, then stand up really close and jump up and down and scream. That longer switch came around and smacked her dress tail and she thought she was flailing the tar out of me, but I never got touched but I made it sound good. hahaha

#87007 Mar 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Mom made us cut our own willow switches. I learned to get the longest one possible, then stand up really close and jump up and down and scream. That longer switch came around and smacked her dress tail and she thought she was flailing the tar out of me, but I never got touched but I made it sound good. hahaha
Had my fair share of cutting switches, but whenever MY Momma had to wait to dish out a whoopin', it usually only got worse...

Wasn't much jumping around you could do if the first thing she grabbed was that old belt with that big brass buckle on it, or that darned old fly swatter. Those fly swatters were ALL made of metal back then.. They hurt like a coat hanger on your bare legs. Bruises? Oh heck yeah..

These days they'd go to jail for doing what we used to get done to us. But we turned out okay.. Can't say so much for todays youth.

Funny that.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#87008 Mar 5, 2013
Guess all those switchings have caused us to digress or something. They only hurt my pride. Heck, Dad would leave belt welps, switch welps. Heck, that's what is wrong with society today. The government agencies run our lives. True, they are there for domestic abuse. But if fathers, brothers , uncles, sisters, mothers and aunts could solve the problem voila ...issue resolved. Old fashioned whipping never hurt me or my siblings. LOL.

#87009 Mar 5, 2013
LOL! I forgot to add that danged broom of hers. I got cracked in the head with that thing more times than I can recall. One time she busted my scalp open with it when the metal wires that hold the bristles on the handle hit my head instead of the bristles of that cursed old broom.

That's the last time I ever got hit with that broom, too. I bled all over the place that day. Still carry the scar to this day.
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#87010 Mar 5, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha! You nailed it, I'm laughing my gutts out here ! are we brothers ? sounds like we grew up in the same house . roflmbo !
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#87011 Mar 5, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
LOL! I forgot to add that danged broom of hers. I got cracked in the head with that thing more times than I can recall. One time she busted my scalp open with it when the metal wires that hold the bristles on the handle hit my head instead of the bristles of that cursed old broom.
That's the last time I ever got hit with that broom, too. I bled all over the place that day. Still carry the scar to this day.
bless your heart, is it above your EYE ???? HEHEEEEEeeeeee!
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#87012 Mar 5, 2013
Ahhh, the good ole days . Hmmmmmmm !

#87013 Mar 5, 2013
RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> bless your heart, is it above your EYE ???? HEHEEEEEeeeeee!
Nope, it's right smack on the top of my noggin. You can feel it through my hair still to this day.

But hey, I lived..

Should I not mention the time she came at me with a butcher knife?
>>true story<<

And yes, we still talk. She's my Mom and I love her anyway, hehe.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87014 Mar 5, 2013
Hey bird threaders, white stuff is coming down like crazy. They said later tonight....up to 4 inches. Dang, I was hoping it would hit the Ohio River and just swing it on up to Indiana and Ohio. Yuk. Glad it isn't sticking so far. It was just raining.

I have been busy clearing another closet I haven't even looked in this past year. Momentos mostly. But hey, I found a box full of jeans I hope I can still shimmy into. haha

I love all the trips down memory lane with the things most young people never heard of. AW, that is what we use to do when we had to pick the switch. Long one to do more missing than hitting. Dad would have gone to jail in today's time like many for child abuse. That is what is wrong with these kids these days. You can't whoop their backsides anymore or much of anything else. We sure thought long and hard before we did something we knew was wrong dreading those butt whippings. lol

My chili is smelling so good and just finish the final taste test. I may still throw hot dogs on the grill despite the big white flakes coming down or just throw them in the toaster oven on broil. haha That and lots of shredded cheese and Fritos.

It is so good to have you back OJG. Wish I would have been here while you were on.

"Nope" where on topix to you right click. I tried that and there is nothing that says view page info? I went to the main page like you said, but I don't have that on my right click..just i.e. back, save, preview, copy, print, properties etc...Help!

Hope you all enjoy the white stuff. You better get some too. hahaha
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87015 Mar 5, 2013
For Ancient Wolf, Nope:

'Chicken sitter' is now a job you can have in Portland, Oregon

No, it's not an unaired "Portlandia" skit. A Portland woman has found a cottage industry in her supergreen Oregon town by baby-sitting sorry, chicken-sitting people's fowl when they're on vacation. "Just in my neighborhood there's got to be at least 20 households that have chickens," Linda Walker explains. "Your neighbor can take your cat or dog, but not a whole lot of them know what to do with [chickens]." Walker gained her chicken experience while working at a feedstore last summer, so she's not some Johnny-come-lately to the chicken game. At the very least, she's passionate about her charges: "They're beautiful and really funny and better than TV, they're fun to watch. And they have great eggs!" [Source]

http://now.msn.com/linda-walker-is-a-chicken-...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#87016 Mar 5, 2013
Checked the map last night and forgot to post it. But looking at today's map we have some activity in the Madrid Fault Zone:

Tuesday, 05 March, 2013
Arkansas
Magnitude: 2.0

Tennessee
Magnitude: 1.7

Alaska
Magnitude: 4.5

California, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, Washington

Russia
Magnitude: 5.2

Papua New Guinea
Magnitude: 5.4

Monday, 04th March 2013

Oklahoma
Magnitude: 3.5

Alaska
Magnitude: 4.5

Montana, Utah, Washington, Nevada, California and Hawaii also had small earthquakes.

Russia
Magnitude: 5.3

Japan, Peru, Chili, Argentina, Indonesia, Tonga, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands all had 4.5- 4.9 magnitude earthquakes.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php

If you click on the North America map you will see the snow storm moving eastward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 24 min dollarsbill 131,949
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 26 min haha 12
Bastards 30 min get a life 7
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 50 min exlax 18
dinky phipps 1 hr Get back 6
terry smith from the creek 1 hr wondering 7
who's the best lay from the creek 3 hr Truth 8
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) Sun Lisa 185
To the Garland family Sun jack 7
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search