Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,665)

Showing posts 73,281 - 73,300 of81,545
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
<quoted text> well 'NOPE' eye see your back . I can do blue eyes , but what the hell IS that ? now I got a strange feel'n somethings eye-ball'n me ! LOL ...SO BMHB {Bite my hairy Butt} heeheeheeeeeeeh !
I think that one is a Hawks eye. But I can't remember what kind of Hawk it was, sorry. I really should have labeled it when I saved it to my files. I'll look around on the net and see if I can find out. I love how blue it is. That's my 'signature eyeball', by the way. I've used it for years now on here, hehe....
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 3 Stetsons, but I don't look very good naked anymore. LOL
Well, you got one for the fron, one for the back and if all a Lady is looking for is a good time ...one for the face.Hehehe. Just kidding. You're an intelligent, hardworking older Gentleman with health issues. I'm joshing.Hehe.The only problem is though you wouldn't be able to see to dance you know. It could be like the rabbit under the hat deal, pick which one has the bunny. Hehe. Now,the Lady supposed to remove the blindfold after removing the chosen hat. LOL. Have a good day...
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

eeeooouuu wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree!!! I used to love swedish meatballs, wont be trying them anymore.
If I read the article correctly, the meatball even the Swedish style are safe here in the states. Sweden, of course, sorry about the misconception. No, we have to worry about GMO's like hormones etc. Urine. Just lovely things like that. Best to wash those veggies thoroughly or grow em.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Never mind about my "Bread and Milk" link. I see that Rapid replied to it, so it stayed..
On a side note: I saw THE most beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday!! He, or she, was HUGE and it landed on the tree right outside of my front window. I wish it would have found a hoard of bugs on that limb. It was awe inspiring!!! The only reason I saw it out the corner of my eye was it's bright red head. What a sight it was!!! I hope it's mate is near.
I've not heard any owls here since last fall and I miss them. But soon it will be time to open the windows at night and I will get to listen to them all night again. I love that too.
(Has anyone else noticed that the tree frogs have all but disappeared around their placesa? Last summer and fall, I barely heard any at all during the night. They used to be almost deafening out my way, specially sitting out on the porch at night. They used to be so loud here that you could barely talk on the phone for their chattering back and forth. Possible chem trail 'deaths' maybe? Just another side thought)..
I found a baby frog last spring. They seem to propagate more around the creeks here in eastern Ky. I have noticed a decline in them also. However, I notice, during the spring and summer months road crews or whoever spray the foliage and hillsides on county roads in W.V , this would lead to chemicals being leaked into culverts and small streams as well as ditch lines and uncased, hand wells. Most wells I know of are covered and cased tough. Chemicals will continue to travel though through soil and water. So, there could be various reasons that we see fewer frogs.
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

betty wrote:
well the televangelists are preaching the good news this morning.... not one iota of fire and brimstone all morning long......
joyce meyer.... over coming fear and doubt with positive words (which was actually filmed at her conference in louisville last april)
Joseph prince..... supply and demand..... god does not demand... he commands...and there fore supplies :) my favorite...
creflo dollar..... casting out fear and looking toward the future... and then (was a two part).... oh wait a minute... that was 19.95
switched back to that seventy's show marathon.
his fault..... shouldn't have convinced me to cast out my negative spending habits till the second half hour.
I consider many of these preachers to be more "self help" and little bible reading. That one guy, I think Joel is his name, is another Dr. Feel Good. I love the messianic jewish teachings. The Jewish Jesus, Perry Stone, and such.

Ha! Did you see on the new where that guy dressed as a cardinal and had pictures taken before the police figured out he was a fake?

Topix is doing a great job again! Missing letters that I type and freezing. It reminds me of a keystroke logging program. Anyone else experience these troubles on Topix?
Olaf of the Old Dominion

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

So how do you people of western Kentucky feel about all that jet noise controversy surrounding NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, VA and efforts to build more houses arond NALF Fentress in Chesapeake, VA!?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I found a baby frog last spring. They seem to propagate more around the creeks here in eastern Ky. I have noticed a decline in them also. However, I notice, during the spring and summer months road crews or whoever spray the foliage and hillsides on county roads in W.V , this would lead to chemicals being leaked into culverts and small streams as well as ditch lines and uncased, hand wells. Most wells I know of are covered and cased tough. Chemicals will continue to travel though through soil and water. So, there could be various reasons that we see fewer frogs.
I live too far out in the boonies for any spraying, and I don't put chemicals down around here. I've got plenty of chicken poop for fertilizer too. There has never even been a snow plow OR salt truck out here, LOL. I'm lucky enough just to get garbage service once a week and even sometimes THEY miss me, hehe.

I have some wetlands nearby, and of course the woods surround me. Not to mention that I've got the Cumberland River just over the hill too. Only recently noticed that the tree frogs are declining. And did so rapidly. Also noticed, and I had forgotten to mention this, that the crickets and such aren't as plentiful either. It makes no sense really. I didn't see a single "Walking Stick" bug all last year. Nor any Katydids. My cat used to puke up a Katydid about once ever couple of weeks during the summer, YUK. And previous to last year, those were plentiful too. I'd ALWAYS see at least three or four huge Walking Stick bugs outside somewhere. Not now though.

Honestly, I rarely see any air traffic over head around here, I'm not near any airports nor do I seem to be on any flight paths. The only time I do see aircraft, there's a trail behind it.. Sometimes they aren't even high enough to be leaving any vapor, but there's that tell tail stream of vapor, or whatever the heck it is, behind it anyway. It's too obvious to ignore..
(Well, I do sometimes have regular aircraft, but it's just the "Pot-copter" doing it's seasonal runs to sniff out crops of Mj. "Seasonal" being the key word here, HAHA)!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Oh yeah, I haven't seen a Praying Mantis either. And those were all over the place before. It was a regular 'bug haven' out here in my portion of the woods, but it's changed. The only thing that hasn't changed? Those darned Mosquitoes. And I see less and less bats every year as well. I know that they are coming down with White Nose Syndrome pretty quickly, but something else is going on too.

The balance of nature is all messed up.
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Never mind about my "Bread and Milk" link. I see that Rapid replied to it, so it stayed..
On a side note: I saw THE most beautiful Pileated Woodpecker yesterday!! He, or she, was HUGE and it landed on the tree right outside of my front window. I wish it would have found a hoard of bugs on that limb. It was awe inspiring!!! The only reason I saw it out the corner of my eye was it's bright red head. What a sight it was!!! I hope it's mate is near.
I've not heard any owls here since last fall and I miss them. But soon it will be time to open the windows at night and I will get to listen to them all night again. I love that too.
(Has anyone else noticed that the tree frogs have all but disappeared around their placesa? Last summer and fall, I barely heard any at all during the night. They used to be almost deafening out my way, specially sitting out on the porch at night. They used to be so loud here that you could barely talk on the phone for their chattering back and forth. Possible chem trail 'deaths' maybe? Just another side thought)..
I love tree frogs! Someone had mentioned that we have frog eggs (or maybe it was tadpols, I cannot remember) in the still part of our local creeks.

~~~~@Anyone with snake tips~~~~

My new place has a bad snake problem according to my neighbors. They hang out by my steps and in my flower beds. Anyone have any tips on how to keep them away? Someone said the moth ball thing is a myth.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Abeliever wrote:
Go figure, we get called yesterday on the reversed 911 to notify that we are under Tornado Drill siren testing today. The sirens just went off for 15 minutes, then across the TV screen there is a
"Tornado Warning" for most of the counties in this area, all the while most of the state is under a Winter Advisory as the white stuff is predicted to come in tonight. Hello Spring!!!
It won't do any good for them to call me, still no phone and internet stays up just long enough to post "one liners" (that is even if I can get here).
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

@ MISTY EYED , Here's a little 'toe tapping pick me up for you . Darius Rucker's 'Wagon wheel song" @ Utube.
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 3 Stetsons, but I don't look very good naked anymore. LOL
Beauty is a matter of perception and you are one of the most beautiful men that I have ever had the pleasure of chatting with. So, the next time you are walking around with only your hat on, um, just go ahead and smile proudly. LOL That will really keep them guessing!!!
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I love tree frogs! Someone had mentioned that we have frog eggs (or maybe it was tadpols, I cannot remember) in the still part of our local creeks.
My new place has a bad snake problem according to my neighbors. They hang out by my steps and in my flower beds. Anyone have any tips on how to keep them away? Someone said the moth ball thing is a myth.
moth balls
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Great Day to all you great folks... Sometimes it is a little hard to follow this one, but one must try...

As for me, I know nothing else but miracles,
Whether I walk the streets of Manhattan,
Or dart my sight over the roofs of houses toward the sky,
Or wade with naked feet along the beach just in the edge of the water,
Or stand under the trees in the woods,
Or talk by day with any one I love,
Or sleep in bed at night with any one I love,
Or watch honey bees busy around the hive of a summer forenoon...
Or the wonderfulness of the sundown,
Or of stars shining so quiet and bright,
Or the exquisite delicate thin curve of the new moon in spring...
What stranger miracles are there?"

Walt Whitman, 1819-1892
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Oh yeah, I haven't seen a Praying Mantis either. And those were all over the place before. It was a regular 'bug haven' out here in my portion of the woods, but it's changed. The only thing that hasn't changed? Those darned Mosquitoes. And I see less and less bats every year as well. I know that they are coming down with White Nose Syndrome pretty quickly, but something else is going on too.
The balance of nature is all messed up.
I have not seen a praying mantis in avery long time. They are one of my favorite bugs. I think mosquitos could survive a nuclear war! Bats are pollinators too. I worry that soon we will have a major pollination crisis. Bee keepers that loan out their bees to farmers and orchards claimed to have lost 30% more bees last seasson than in 2011. This is causing a bee shortage and they do not have enough bees for this years pollnation needs.

Grrr!!! I must type VERY VERY slowly to post on Topix. It will miss a number of letters and spaces in every sentence.=(
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Do you all recall the little auctions they had years ago, ya know the ones on a friday night. Were we all packed into a small room , and they sold boxes full of stuff? They still have them sometimes, but I will never forget the first one I went to as a child. I was only six and not many dolls at home . My pa , bought me a box of barbies for a dollar, and I thought okay , it has about three, and maybe if I am lucky some clothes... Much to my surprise, when he got it for me , it was a huge case , with 19 barbies, 12 outfits, and shoes too... I was one little lucky gal. That gift he got me that night , meant almost as much as when he learned me how to drive that old tractor... Oh well enough of my chattin , yall have a good one...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Moth balls have never failed me. They even sell a VERY expensive brand of snake repellent at Lowes and Home Depot.
(Look at the ingredients though: It's the same as moth balls, but about four times the price).

Of course, I have dogs and chickens here too. And chickens leave a lot of urea behind in their poop. Snakes don't like urine/acidic ground. I've heard that it 'burns' their bellies or some such. I used to spread powdered Sulfur around the fence line when I lived farther down south quite a ways.. It did the same thing.

One trick I've heard for chasing snakes out of a den is to burn the sole of an old leather shoe and fan the smoke in it. The smoke is supposed to chase them out? Never tried that one yet. I already know that with all the boulders and rocks I have around here, I'll always just have to be careful and watch where I'm walking and what I reach for. Even flower picking....
OhioJeepGirl

Wilkinson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

RAPIDFIRE wrote:
@ MISTY EYED , Here's a little 'toe tapping pick me up for you . Darius Rucker's 'Wagon wheel song" @ Utube.
I love that song!
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

This is one big High 5 to all of you , who have done the following..
Churned butter , or buttermilk
Made homemade ice cream
Made homemade souse( pigs head )
Quilted with the old timing hanging boards
Went to the five and dime
Road in those old little metal cars( wish I still had mine)
Drank, onion tea, for colic
Had a chicken scratch ya , as it ran over you to help cure the pox
Picked black berries , all day and scratched all night from the chiggers
Lit your room up many nights, with lighting bugs
Swang on the porch swing all night with your love
Oh one could go on and on.....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not seen a praying mantis in avery long time. They are one of my favorite bugs. I think mosquitos could survive a nuclear war! Bats are pollinators too. I worry that soon we will have a major pollination crisis. Bee keepers that loan out their bees to farmers and orchards claimed to have lost 30% more bees last seasson than in 2011. This is causing a bee shortage and they do not have enough bees for this years pollnation needs.
Grrr!!! I must type VERY VERY slowly to post on Topix. It will miss a number of letters and spaces in every sentence.=(
OJG, when is the last time you cleared your cookies and/or cache? Also clear your recent history and perform an analysis/degrag on a regular basis.

I don't know what version of Windows you're using, but in your start up menu, bottom left, click it then type MRT in the search space. That is your Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool. Run that. Be forewarned, it might take up to three hours to run it if you've never done it before. It scans your entire system for unwanted spyware, malware, etc.. So if you do decide to run that today, get busy with something else around the house while it runs.

I usually run mine when I go to bed at night, making sure to turn off the power saver and/or screen saver options on the PC. You don't want your computer to shut down midway through and then have to start all over again. When I wake up, mine is done. Usually it's found nothing. But there have been times...... If it does find something, simply follow the prompts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 73,281 - 73,300 of81,545
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

91 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min ChromiuMan 127,914
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min RepubliCons 144,742
Blackberries $20/gallon 2 hr Brian 4
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr LMS 26,171
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr LMS 16,112
4 sale 2 hr travis 1
Richard and Sarah hicks 3 hr Curious Georgia 11
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 4 hr Cantfixstupid 374
KC Basketball Coach Thu breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs