Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81774 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86644 Feb 27, 2013
Being Green...

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property,(the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house --not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-ass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Seen this posted on FB, thought it was awesome and so very true. I know AW should appreciate it, as well as other. Like the last sentence. haha

Have a good night everyone!!

C-A-T-S, CATS, CATS, CATS!!!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#86646 Feb 27, 2013
Have a fun night, AB. Sometimes I wish I could have gotten more into sports. I just never was able to grasp the excitement of it all.

Probably because my Dad didn't watch sports until after he was well into his retirement.. He worked too many hours during his prime to do much more than eat and sleep, then go back to work to do it all over again.. He'd work two jobs at a time for as long as I can remember. Most times he held a weekend job on top of that, too. He was a good man and did everything he had to in order to provide for us. I miss him and think of him every single day.

I'm sure Mr Farters daughter does the same now too...

Location hidden

#86647 Feb 27, 2013
Dang, I no sooner got that comment posted and you got negative judge its. Funny, we went for so long without anyone doing that in here. And all of the sudden, here we go again...

Yep, you're right AB. It wasn't hard at all to figure this one out.

Location hidden

#86648 Feb 27, 2013
Hey, AB, one more thing. My hubby and I used to put our change into a plastic water jug too. One year we dumped change in it for about 8 months and came up with over $800.00 when we finally got curious and sat down one night to see what we had saved so far! It wasn't but about half full, either!!
(To be honest, we'd sometimes threw our singles in there too though).
It does add up!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#86649 Feb 27, 2013
Nope, where in the world did you find that eye?
Abeliever: We weren't green back in the day, we just found alternate uses for the paper bags, walked short distances, went without air conditioning, etc. I hate smartass kids who are rude and think that they know it all.
Ancient Wolf: Hope your companion visits often, and puts a twinkle in your eye, and a biscuit in Dog's belly.
Imposter: Glad that you stopped in for a visit. You're welcome any time.
And a cheery hello to anyone I missed.
Can't stop in for long this evening, but I should be back tomorrow. Last night I tried to post, sat down on the chair in front of the computer screen, and promply fell asleep. I woke up when I hit the floor--no broken bones, thank goodness. When I did it for the second time, Hubby shut me off of the keyboard. LOL Had a long, tiring day yesterday, and by evening I was good for nothing. Oh, well. Getting on in years, I guess. Wish I could turn back the clock only 20 years. I would give anything to feel the way I did back then. I could do housework, yardwork, take care of 2 kids, work full time, do shopping, home repairs, you name it, and I didn't get tired. What happened to all that energy. It just went poof!

Location hidden

#86650 Feb 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
One tends to forget that at an elderly age, there is a high percentage of illness and death that even a monthly Social Security check will not cover. So if two people merge and one passes, the average cost of a funeral is about $8000 and SS pays $255. So who pays the rest? Or if one has an extended stay in a nursing facility, then who pays? I have been there and done that and don't intend to do it again just for "romance" or any other reasons.
I don't consider that scenario to be cheap, but just more feasible economically to live apart in one's declining years. It makes the times two people can be together even more sweeter and less worry and trouble free. Call it cheap if you like, it makes no difference to me and won't change anything.
That's why I have instructed my husband to have me cremated. It costs less than one quarter that amount. He can then scatter the ashes atop of the hill behind the paddock. That way,if there is consciousness after clinical death, I can keep an eye on him. If God will let me in, I am closer to Him, by being spread over the hillside.
God is truth

Paris, KY

#86651 Feb 27, 2013
Jesus is on his way and he's mad. Be ready.

Location hidden

#86652 Feb 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Your's is the reasoning that is flawed. LOL One does not have to live in the same house to be romantic. In fact that more often ruins the romance hehehe Besides, she is "city" and I am "country" and she would not live here and I surely would not live in town. LOL I like dogs, she likes cats. Just a few of the subtle differences. Cupid, your arrows are dull. lol
Oh, I give up. Hubby likes dogs, and I like cats, so we have both. Hubby is more city and I am pure country, and guess who won that debate. Yep, MEEE. LOL. Living in the same house has been comforting, sometimes romantic, but who cares. Our differences are complementary. But, I give up trying to convince you. I'm only teasing anyway. But, good friends can become lovers and that is a dynamite combination. My poor departed father-in-law thought much like you after his wife passed away. He had girlfriends around every corner, and sometimes, the whole gang tracked him down. LOL Talk about the feathers flying!!! Wow!! Hubby and I had more laughs about that. I sure did love "Grampa." He's been gone a long time now, but I still can picture him singing and whistling as he made the rounds for his family visits. He used to make wine...all different kinds, and bring me a bottle or two from each batch. Now, I am not much of a drinker, and the fermentation made the alcohol content too high for my liking, so I stowed the bottles under my kitchen sink. One night, I was awakened by POP,POP,POP. I got scared, thought somebody came in the house and planned to shoot us. Lo and Behold, it was Grampa's wine bottles popping their corks. That man was hilarious. Wish he could still be around. I miss him very much, perhaps more so than Hubby.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#86653 Feb 27, 2013
God is truth wrote:
Jesus is on his way and he's mad. Be ready.
God isn't sending Jesus back down here! Last time Jesus was here, we beat Him and KILLED Him!!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#86654 Feb 27, 2013
Internet is back, but fades in and out. Phone service works but is crackly. My part time job is chickens. They bought a bag of feed today for $13.49 with $20 worth of eggs and told me to keep the change. Net earnings this week.. $6.51 (don't tell the IRS). LOL
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#86655 Feb 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Internet is back, but fades in and out. Phone service works but is crackly. My part time job is chickens. They bought a bag of feed today for $13.49 with $20 worth of eggs and told me to keep the change. Net earnings this week..$6.51 (don't tell the IRS). LOL
Very good there.I pay around $3.79 for a dozen of the free range, organic eggs from the Eggland's Best brand. Quite expensive to eat healthy. I prefer the brown eggs though. Taste richer to me. You made a profit;)
Blueminer

United States

#86656 Feb 27, 2013
Hello Everyone, great reading tonight! I almost never see those judgeits, had kind of forgotten about them til last afternoon when I logged on at the library. Oh the hatefulness!
Ahaha! I just read a little and checked out Abelievers vids. Couldn't find what I was researching for, so I never did post.

Had a good day working w/my brother today. Manual labor! I had almost forgotten the concept. Best day I spent in a long time. Will be on the way to Houston in the morn...

Special note to Nope, glad you're feeling better. Please don't let those critters piss you off so badly. The rise in BP and adrenaline is probably not good for you. Til nxt time G/N Everyone!
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#86657 Feb 27, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Little varmints know how to make a living, don't they? Look how fat and sassy old Punxsutawney Phil is... That critter eats better than most of us do, no doubt. Who's idea was that anyway, to trust a whistle pig and his shadow?
I say we should trust the Old Farmers Almanac. On that same note, I don't recall it ever mentioning a big fat rodent as one of their contributing consultants, LOL!!!
http://www.almanac.com/content/long-range-win...
It's all perspective. Where most just see fat grey rhinos,, I see Unicorns, fat grey ones. Puff, puff, pass.. lol.

Location hidden

#86658 Feb 27, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Special note to Nope, glad you're feeling better. Please don't let those critters piss you off so badly. The rise in BP and adrenaline is probably not good for you. Til nxt time G/N Everyone!
Thanks Blue, but my chickens are a part of my critter babies too. They're so tame that they'll sit in my lap outside and eat raisins from my fingers without pinching them. And the one that was missing? She's the sweetest of the bunch.

I was spitting lava and farting fire when I thought something out there had eaten her in the middle of the day. I try so hard to keep them safe and if there is a critter out there that's a daytime predator who's found my flock, I knew already that would have to die because there's no keeping the chickens locked up like that during the daylight. It's not healthy for them, not to mention that they'll all but stop laying.

And thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling better again!! Don't know why it happened all the sudden, but I'm not going to question it. I'm just going to enjoy the ride, LOL!

You have a safe trip and keep us updated as you can!! Glad to hear that you're also getting "back to good" too!!

Location hidden

#86659 Feb 27, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all perspective. Where most just see fat grey rhinos,, I see Unicorns, fat grey ones. Puff, puff, pass.. lol.
I surely wish they'd go ahead and legalize it. I'd gladly puff, puff, then pass it on.. LOL! By the way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with grey unicorns. ROFLMBO!!

Location hidden

#86660 Feb 27, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> Very good there.I pay around $3.79 for a dozen of the free range, organic eggs from the Eggland's Best brand. Quite expensive to eat healthy. I prefer the brown eggs though. Taste richer to me. You made a profit;)
I wish you lived near me! I'd be happy to share with you, Misty. That's what mine lay. Fat brown eggs with the best and tastiest bright orange yolks! Store bought rubber pucks don't enter this house. I'd be glad to share with you because I usually have too many and end up boiling them up for the dogs and cat. Even the "blue and green winged wonder bird" enjoys a sliced up boiled egg.

I even give the leftover eggs back to the chickens sometimes when I get overloaded. I'll either crush up the boiled ones or scramble them along with the crushed up shells and give it to them to eat with their oatmeal sometimes. I rarely have anything food wise to throw away unless it's something that's not good for them.(Onions, etc). Every critter that owns me here loves leftover eggs, even those "clean the fridge out" days like today was, hehe.

Location hidden

#86661 Feb 27, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Internet is back, but fades in and out. Phone service works but is crackly. My part time job is chickens. They bought a bag of feed today for $13.49 with $20 worth of eggs and told me to keep the change. Net earnings this week..$6.51 (don't tell the IRS). LOL
<<snort and LOL>>
That's funny right there now, hehe. Good deal you got going on!!

I don't make money, but we've got quite the 'recycle thing' going on here. Then I get the all these free eggs as a reward. Nothing goes to waste. The chickens even get the cast off seeds from this picky old "green and blue winged wonder bird" every day, so I guess it's all good.
kind

Louisville, KY

#86662 Feb 27, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Hello Everyone, great reading tonight! I almost never see those judgeits, had kind of forgotten about them til last afternoon when I logged on at the library. Oh the hatefulness!
Ahaha! I just read a little and checked out Abelievers vids. Couldn't find what I was researching for, so I never did post.
Had a good day working w/my brother today. Manual labor! I had almost forgotten the concept. Best day I spent in a long time. Will be on the way to Houston in the morn...
safe travels

Location hidden

#86663 Feb 27, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text> He had girlfriends around every corner, and sometimes, the whole gang tracked him down. LOL Talk about the feathers flying!!! Wow!! Hubby and I had more laughs about that. I sure did love "Grampa." He's been gone a long time now, but I still can picture him singing and whistling as he made the rounds for his family visits. He used to make wine...all different kinds, and bring me a bottle or two from each batch. Now, I am not much of a drinker, and the fermentation made the alcohol content too high for my liking, so I stowed the bottles under my kitchen sink. One night, I was awakened by POP,POP,POP. I got scared, thought somebody came in the house and planned to shoot us. Lo and Behold, it was Grampa's wine bottles popping their corks. That man was hilarious. Wish he could still be around. I miss him very much, perhaps more so than Hubby.
Oh Lord, you all are knocking me sideways with laughter tonight, hehe.

That's a hoot, Lala!! I can just see you now, hearing all of those corks popping off inside your cabinet, hehe! I bet you both do miss him a lot. He sounds like he was one of those guys that every body loved. There's always that ONE guy who's the life of every party he goes to.. And I bet you a donut that he was one of those, LOL!
(Particularly with the ladies, bwaaahahahahaha)!!
youpeoplearenuts

Duluth, GA

#86664 Feb 28, 2013
sinkholes in kentucky are not a government conspiracy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 15 min uMoron 143,069
creek mart scandal 18 min trucker 2
Who's had Curt brown 2 hr Pam 37
Is judge ex Jm hall going to prison ? 3 hr Customer 9
Wet Vote Petition 3 hr Kim 17
kink 3 hr Darren west 5
Will the federal grand jury indit Jm hall 3 hr Knox voter 1
walmart shooting 6 hr uknow 17
Shooting at Walmart??? 10 hr Nimbletwig 40
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages