Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,705

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#86316 Feb 22, 2013
Wishing all the Folks in the Midwest safe travels. Partner stuck in Kansas trying to get a load in Dodge City. The temps. are low and hopefully too many won't loose their power. Some sleet last night. Everybody stay warm. Spring is around the corner;)The birds have kept the chirping going incessantly.LOL. Sounds like spring already.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#86317 Feb 22, 2013
Sunshine and 54 degrees right now here in Central Kentucky and I have my windows open to air out smoke smell where I have been burning the wood stove. Overhead ceiling fans suspended from the gabled ceiling are going also. Nice aroma mixed with Fabreze and Cinnamon Glade ... I am blessed.

I had a stranger (Good Samaritan) show up here yesterday with a load of firewood. I asked what he wanted for the load, he said "I just want to know that you are not sitting down here in the cold and I have way more than I need already". He will be blessed too.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#86318 Feb 22, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
No AW is not AWOL. But has been right here tweeking the wood burner, getting 3 truckloads of firewood, getting the truck serviced, paying monthly bills, and looking at the skant residue in the check book LOL
In short.. just busy, and even watched Danica Patrick be the first woman to win the starting position in next Sunday's Nascar Daytona 500.
I'm very happy to know that you were just busy. I worry about my fellow "bird threaders" particularly when I don't see someone posting for a period of time. Knowing that you live alone in a remote area, I let my imagination go a little wild. Glad that you finally tweaked that wood burning stove. Now that you've got it going, you have insured that spring will be just around the corner. It frequently works out that way, especially for me. When hubby bought a plow for his truck, the remainder of that winter, and the next resulted in very little snowfall. So the plow, in effect, was good insurance.

Location hidden

#86319 Feb 22, 2013
Good afternoon folks. Hubby brought something interesting to my attention today. Last night we had a period of sleet, which left a heavy coating of ice pellets on our porch storage box. When the ice particles on the lid melted, it left behind a small granule of dark gravel-like substance, which was at the core of each ice crystal. It is obvious that the sleet washed out some foreign substance high up in the atmosphere, and deposited it when the sleet pellet fell to earth. Never saw anything like that before. When we were kids, we used to eat snow and accumulated ice on the ground. It's not safe anymore, and who knows what the precipitation is washing down from the atmosphere.

Location hidden

#86320 Feb 22, 2013
Aw and all our bird threader friends, I have a suggestion. When I suddenly don't see a post from someone who regularly checks in every day, I tend to worry a bit. I realize that people have busy lives off this thread, and have little time posting when life's circumstances intervene. It would be nice if everyone would post a short, alive and well note when they are busy for one reason or other. Several of us have become close over the past two plus years, and I know that I worry when I don't hear from a regular poster. That worry has been amplified since poor Una's death. Many (not all) of us are not young, and some of us have health issues, so I get to wondering what has happened. Life is fragile and one does not know when his/her day may be the last. Only our Creator knows for sure.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#86321 Feb 22, 2013
Oglala wrote:
Aw and all our bird threader friends, I have a suggestion. When I suddenly don't see a post from someone who regularly checks in every day, I tend to worry a bit. I realize that people have busy lives off this thread, and have little time posting when life's circumstances intervene. It would be nice if everyone would post a short, alive and well note when they are busy for one reason or other. Several of us have become close over the past two plus years, and I know that I worry when I don't hear from a regular poster. That worry has been amplified since poor Una's death. Many (not all) of us are not young, and some of us have health issues, so I get to wondering what has happened. Life is fragile and one does not know when his/her day may be the last. Only our Creator knows for sure.
I did post a couple of quickies that I was going Wednesday to get the truck serviced and pay bills. Maybe it got deleted or you overlooked it.
veg o matic

AOL

#86322 Feb 22, 2013
the storm has arrived here this morning .

I filled all my birdfeeders, though they'd be fine with just a little rain and snow.
It's mostly when ice covers their food that they have a hard time and our help benefits them.

I don't worry about the hawks taking a few birds. They have to eat too.
The hawks will get songbirds whether I feed them or not. A tree full of berries or a mud puddle that they congregate and bathe in could make it just as easy for a hawk. I do provide cover and a brush pile for them to escape into quickly. Some make it; some don't. More often than not, the hawk flies away empty taloned.

Location hidden

#86323 Feb 22, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I did post a couple of quickies that I was going Wednesday to get the truck serviced and pay bills. Maybe it got deleted or you overlooked it.
I may have overlooked it. Anyway, I am thrilled that you found a lovely lady to share some good conversation and good food. Way to go, AW... It may be silly, but I worry about "our gang" on this thread. I never posted in any chat forums, and still don't. I have come to realize that "online people" are important as friends, as much as cherished 'real friends' with whom I have face to face interaction. The depth of feeling for my 'online buddies' has really surprised me.

Location hidden

#86324 Feb 22, 2013
stripole wrote:
Sealed with a french kiss -
with a little tongue action too !
sheriff's deputies say a 54 year old MOTHER passed pills to her SON in jail.
via a deep french kiss
From her mouth to his
Police have not said how the drugs were discovered , but the woman has been charged with criminal sale of the controlled substance and promoting prison contraband
What a sick symbiotic relationship this is. Very little surprises me these days.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#86325 Feb 22, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I did post a couple of quickies that I was going Wednesday to get the truck serviced and pay bills. Maybe it got deleted or you overlooked it.
Everyone loves a quickie! Hi everyone
veg o matic

AOL

#86326 Feb 22, 2013

a minor Star of TVs Storage Wars, Mark Balelo, has been found dead in an apparent suicide, just days after a drug arrest.
veg o matic

AOL

#86327 Feb 22, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
What a sick symbiotic relationship this is. Very little surprises me these days.
imagine where she would have hid the 'stash'
if she were allowed conjugal visits !
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#86328 Feb 22, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I may have overlooked it. Anyway, I am thrilled that you found a lovely lady to share some good conversation and good food. Way to go, AW... It may be silly, but I worry about "our gang" on this thread. I never posted in any chat forums, and still don't. I have come to realize that "online people" are important as friends, as much as cherished 'real friends' with whom I have face to face interaction. The depth of feeling for my 'online buddies' has really surprised me.
Thanks, she will be back in a couple hours to bring DOG a treat and enjoy my cooking of lemon-pepper tilapia, macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli, 3 cheese texas garlic toast and iced tea. Afterwards, Dog will share his recliner (that I cleaned and sprayed with Fabreze) so we can watch what should be a heart-warming horse movie from 1979 that shows it as having 3 1/2 stars on Dish HDNMV channel. It is about a 1940s boy that is shipwrecked on a desert island with a wild Arabian horse and bonds with the horse. Much better than aliens, zombies, and such LOL
so true

Morgantown, KY

#86329 Feb 22, 2013
Have a blessed night you all.. Weekend is so much nicer, when you have someone to spend it with. It is so odd, how we find out what people really meant to us , when they are no longer around to be touched by us , and for thim to touch our hearts...

One day, much too soon, the end will come to each of our precious brief lifetimes; knowing this, live fearlessly; leave unchallenged not a single obstacle between yourself and the realization of your most joyous dreams."
umm

Cadiz, KY

#86330 Feb 22, 2013
Umm
RAPIDFIRE

Corbin, KY

#86331 Feb 22, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, she will be back in a couple hours to bring DOG a treat and enjoy my cooking of lemon-pepper tilapia, macaroni and cheese, steamed broccoli, 3 cheese texas garlic toast and iced tea. Afterwards, Dog will share his recliner (that I cleaned and sprayed with Fabreze) so we can watch what should be a heart-warming horse movie from 1979 that shows it as having 3 1/2 stars on Dish HDNMV channel. It is about a 1940s boy that is shipwrecked on a desert island with a wild Arabian horse and bonds with the horse. Much better than aliens, zombies, and such LOL
sounds like a good meal ,but better check the tilapia. on the news this morning they said that tilapia,white tuna,and others are being mislabeled,intentionaly replacing them with low grade high mercury content fish of other species...approx. 2 percent of the imported foods are inspected. thats just scary.and all the more reason to grow ,can , and preserve our own food . my friend said he was going to cancoon for the winter. I told them that I have canned green beens, canned pickled beets, and even canned whole-hog sausage in mason jars. but never have I canned - COON !!! hahaha. enjoy your dinner and movie , and ya'll have a good weekend.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86332 Feb 22, 2013
Good evening bird threaders. Hope everyone had a beautiful day after the cold and sleet last night. It has been beautiful and lots of BIRDS. I love the colored birds showing up. The cardinals, bluejays and robins etc..I feed the black birds too. haha Hey, they are all God's creatures. lol

lala, you are so sweet, we do worry about our topix friends that is for sure. I am so grieving a poster I never met and had such hate going when he arrived. I am so grateful it turned around and we had some fun exchanges. I do miss him. Maybe he was the life of the topix party on several threads. haha

Ancient Wolf, have a great dinner with your lady friend. I bet even dog is looking forward to her arrival. Treats always work to get past the dog. I know. I have even brought cat treats.:) Enjoy

Misty Eyed, I hope your partner gets out of that mess and home to you soon, bless his heart. Thank him for his service moving goods across America. This is a real mess:

Winter whiteout slams central US
http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/21...

Winter storm rakes the Midwest; New England headed for 3rd straight weekend of snow
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/22/17...

God Bless those people. We are so fortunate. I hope you all enjoy our wonderful weekend in Kentucky.

Hello Hempburn, Blue, betty, so true, roam, ms font, and everyone else. Where is "nope"?
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86333 Feb 22, 2013
What's up rapid fire? Seen the grandbaby?
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86334 Feb 22, 2013
For lala:

Terrified Homeless Dog with Horribly Matted Fur Gets a Happy Ending
This unloved dog was abandoned its entire life. Terrified of strangers, he was without hope...

But see how Socrates got another chance at happiness!

Socrates was found roaming a college campus, abandoned and completely terrified of humans. His fur was matted and most couldn't believe he survived. Thanks to one angel with a purpose, he was rescued and placed in a family that would love him forever.

http://www.godvine.com/Terrified-Homeless-Dog...

Sad as it is and not uncommon. I love these rescue stories and admire the people who dedicate their time to helping God's creatures and reuniting/placing abandoned pets to loving homes.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#86335 Feb 22, 2013
Oglala wrote:
Good afternoon folks. Hubby brought something interesting to my attention today. Last night we had a period of sleet, which left a heavy coating of ice pellets on our porch storage box. When the ice particles on the lid melted, it left behind a small granule of dark gravel-like substance, which was at the core of each ice crystal. It is obvious that the sleet washed out some foreign substance high up in the atmosphere, and deposited it when the sleet pellet fell to earth. Never saw anything like that before. When we were kids, we used to eat snow and accumulated ice on the ground. It's not safe anymore, and who knows what the precipitation is washing down from the atmosphere.
Probably chemtrail spray. I would never do what we did as kids. I would even be afraid of snow ice cream. Boy we were so lucky to grow up in a more simple age. Snow ice cream was a great family project and good to eat. lol They were spraying here today. South of here has had those "spider webby things" on their bushes, trees, and fence rows after the planes have sprayed. Can't be good.

Unusual to hear of a murder at Fort Knox, but there was one today. Just no details until 11:00 and they will be limited. I know from previous ones they had there how Pubilc Affairs leaves out so much even after they know the who, what, when and how of it. There is a lot of talk locally about the 48 Hours Ft Campbell soldier that drove to Rineyville to murder his soon to be ex, her ex mother in law from another marriage, family dog and all in front of his step son and two kids. Did you watch that. They left so much out. Big online discussion on it under 48 Hours facebook page. Very interesting read.

Dog and River Otter Become Unlikely Friends
An unlikely friendship bloomed on the banks of a river between two of God's sweet creatures! This friendly dog and river otter discovered each other one afternoon... and then became fast friends!
http://www.godvine.com/Dog-and-River-Otter-fb...

Sweet Baby has an Epic Dance Session
This short - but ADORABLE - video will put a huge smile on your face! Watch as this little baby gets down to a music video on the television. This baby knows how to truly enjoy life.
http://www.godvine.com/Sweet-Baby-Dance-fb-gv...

Thought these two additional videos would bring a smile to your face. You know that ole fart loved them despite what he said. haha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr they 131,618
no nickle tax knox BOE 4 hr sick of taxes 2
Mayor Darren west come get political signs 5 hr Catron resident 4
fire station or not 8 hr Citizen 3
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 13 hr gator 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 20 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) Wed Loving 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

NFL 2:01PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts