Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
72,621 - 72,640 of 81,569 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Blueminer wrote:
<quoted text>
Roam things are going on that threaten so much of what we have come to know, trust and believe in. Denial is complacency, which equals less anxiety. And I reckon that's not all bad.
I don't buy into all the conspiracy theories, however some of these "theories" ARE all too "reality".
Indeed. And hello.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Hope you all have a good evening. I have to get off here and do some dinner preparations and get snacks together for the UK game tonight. It is at Rupp Arena and after the beat down Tn gave them I hope the Big Blue Nation will cheer them on to prevail without their big man and put a "W" in the column. haha

Before I go I had to post this article I ran across reading the world wide news. I know Una would of got a big kick out of it:

Let your flatulence fly, scientists urge passengers

Flying increases flatulence, according to an article published Friday in the peer-reviewed New Zealand Medical Journal, and passengers should release the gas -- or risk painful medical consequences.

Lead author Dr. Jacob Rosenberg, professor of surgery at the University of Copenhagen, said he always wondered why he had more flatulence flying than when on the ground. Then, after a recent trip, he opened his bag and noticed a water bottle "almost smashed by the change in ambient pressure," said Rosenberg. "And then I thought of the mechanisms of increased bowel air volume when flying."

It's simple. When altitude increases, pressure decreases. According to the thermodynamic principal known as the "ideal gas law," as pressure drops, volume increases. While cabins are pressurized to compensate, the mechanisms can only do so much. When the plane is at a cruising altitude of 33,000 feet, inside it's still the equivalent of 8,000 feet above sea level. That's a lot of physics bearing down on your intestines.

There's a clear medical rationale for releasing the gas. Holding back flatulence can lead to "discomfort and even pain, bloating, dyspepsia and pyrosis," according to the article, titled "Flatulence on Airplanes: Just Let it Go," which surveyed previously published research and studies. It also notes that holding back flatulence has been suggested as a major risk factor for diverticular disease, a condition where pouches develop in the wall of the colon.

But just try telling that to your seatmate.

Instead, Peter Post, a director at Emily Post institute and author of "Essential Manners for Men," recommends that travelers "hold it in until they have the opportunity to get up and release the gas in the restroom."

If you can't get to the lavatory in time, for instance, if there's turbulence and the fasten seat belt light is on, "be as discreet as possible" and release the gas, said Post. "People understand the situation and let it go."

Unfortunately, no graceful phrase or gesture exists to completely smooth over the social awkwardness of releasing your personal flatulence inside a confined space where 50 percent of the air is recirculated. An "excuse me" can really only go so far. It can even draw its own unwanted attention.

"Almost anything you say can create embarrassment and make the situation more difficult," said Post. "Your best bet is to keep your mouth shut."

The article's authors suggested airlines install seats embedded with active charcoal, which can absorb intestinal gases. Carriers could also pass out blankets with the odor-absorbing compound sewn in.

Travelers could also be subjected to a methane breath screening and those with higher methane content could be assigned seats in a restricted area of the plane near the lavatory. Another proposed solution involved the use of rubber pants with air containers to collect passed gas.
As for passengers, they could wear underwear lined with active charcoal, the article said.

Rosenberg said that though the paper had "a humorous direction," it's based on published research. "The background is serious," he said.
But fliers prone to gas should take preventative measures. Post suggests Beano.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/travelkit/let-y...

Haha, can you see Una with a Depend on full of charcoal, going through airport body scanners. With all the beans he enjoyed he probably did defy the "ideal gas law".

Sure miss him.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

We all miss Una.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Thanks, Blue, for posting all those links. Was out to doctor most of day, but I'm starting to go through them, and find them most interesting. Thanks, again
Lala

Hi, Abeliever, Nope, Roaming, AW, and the ret of the gang. Good evening to you. Long day today. My eyelids are drooping, and I'll have to have a siesta soon, but glad you folks are posting more. For awhile, I was getting worried the the Bird Thread was dying.

“Is who I am”

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Good Evening. It was a beautiful day. Got mofre seed for my birdie friends. They were very happy.
RisingMoonManiac

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Conspiracy theory is something that makes us Human. Everyone thinks something like that happens. I think that's pretty funny, really.
Not so funny really. Some think it may have been a test of a bunker busting bomb made by Boeing and sold to Israel which is meant to target Iran's deep underground nuclear enrichment facilities which was dropped from outer space, like the one discussed in this article.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-14/boei...

It appears that the Russians (or a UFO) may have been the ones who shot it down prior to impact according to some videos. You can see evidence of what appears to be a missile striking the meteor (or bunker busting bomb) prior to exploding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

A lot of covert operations are happening today which the average joe will never know about because he will never even consider the possibility of anything other than what is reported in the mainstream news...and we all know how reliable that is these days.
Hmmm

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Blackbird pie anyone?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

carnevil no 9 wrote:
liberalism has doomed America ,..
it has nothing to do with Israel ,..
it has far more to do with the liberal indoctrination by the American school systems ,...
the selfish welfare recipients ,..
and the idiotic politicians who are propped into office by them and the greedy labor unions
Although it is politically incorrect these days, I have to agree. Social engineering is going on big time in the schools. That's why I pay to have our little guy in a private school setting where progressive sentiment is not quite as obvious.
Go All A

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Although it is politically incorrect these days, I have to agree. Social engineering is going on big time in the schools. That's why I pay to have our little guy in a private school setting where progressive sentiment is not quite as obvious.
social engineering...aka dumbing down of American society to create easily controlled sheeple

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

That wordpress.com website is very interesting, Blue. You might like it as well, Abeliever. Lots of info. about the Louisiana sinkhole and general problem of gas and methane throughout the bayous. It also has interesting info. on increased seismic activity in the New Madrid. Unfortunately, my computer is running very slowly tonight and I am having difficulty downloading the videos. Will try tomorrow.

Good night, everyone. Sweet dreams and may the angels guide you through the night. Lala
So true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Night dear ones...:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

So true wrote:
Night dear ones...:)
You need to talk louder. My dog did not get the message. LOL Good Night/Morning to you.
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Well back at it again. So early my dear old rooster thinks it is daylight already , just because I turned on the news...
We all have those days when , we want to just give up on this thing called life and it is really hard not to .. My day was yesterday.. Took alot of kind words,and praying to keep me inline.. But I was a lady in the end , and a real southern kind one at that..:)
Tell your dog AW if I could I would sing him to sleep... I do my 150 pound lab most of the time , When I began to sing , he goes straight to sleep, may be out of wantin me to hush..lol But the funny thing is , some songs he sings along , he really does think he is human.. Although , like me way overweight , and loves his sweats too much, he is quite awesome in his on special way...
Well yall take care and great day to each and everyone of you great new found friends...

One day, much too soon, the end will come to each of our precious brief lifetimes; knowing this, live fearlessly; leave unchallenged not a single obstacle between yourself and the realization of your most joyous dreams."
so true

Clarkson, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

What we can accomplish on our own is hardly noteworthy. We try our best, but the results aren't exactly graceful flowing music. But when we trust in the hands of a Greater Power, our life's work truly can be beautiful.

Next time you set out to accomplish great feats, listen carefully. You can hear the voice of the Master, whispering in your ear, "Don't quit. Keep playing."

May you all play with all your hearts , and may that great voice , coach you on your way... Blessings.
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Today's emphasis on thursday should agree with tomorrow being friday, who is nothing, if not terribly jealous of saturday. Passions may rise as the tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch opposes intense whopper, setting off fireworks. This could work to your advantage if you are trying to get someone's sandwich, but be careful not to come on too strong as burger king slows. A delicate touch is needed if you want to light a fire under someones arse.
qwerty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

RoamingInsomniac wrote:
We all miss Una.
He was the life of the party.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Hmmm wrote:
Blackbird pie anyone?
that would require 4 and 20 blackbirds.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

its just plain frigid out there! joe poodle didnt even make it off the porch and as much as i cant stand seeing a wiz spot on the porch... i dont blame him. his knee has to be bothering him with all this back and forth weather. plus i cant say i remember flushing the toilet just now and im definitely not getting out from under these covers to go find out.

oh well.... if its yellow its mellow.

feels like a good day to sleep in.....

hope everyone else stays warm and toasty

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>that would require 4 and 20 blackbirds.
Sing a Song Of Six Pence--- that children's rhyme always seemed dark and forbidding
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

"quick poodle!" <hubby pulling in the drive way>

gotta go act all "asleep"....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Cornelius Scudmister 146,193
Crystal Gray 24 min Let me know 3
just seen what goin on 29 min huh 4
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr oscar 16,116
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr jamie 128,588
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr terri 26,184
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 3 hr shew 1,014
Stivers Center fixes 4 hr City Slicker 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••