Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,680

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#85354 Feb 6, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Happy Bird Day!! They are everywhere, and they are thrilled I have more corn out. A lot of Blue Jay's out now.
Good Morning Roaming. I have sunshine and birds too. Good to see them for a change.

“It was only just a song”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#85355 Feb 6, 2013
Hi , all you fine folks.. Been gone from here a while alot going on. But yes , it is so true, but that only. I just did not have time to log in. So if something bad was sad, it was not me guys, sorry anyway. Just found out about Una this morning ,and posted as so true. Sad...
Sorry guys for any confusion. But it is me and me only..
Lord thank goodness there is not more of me...lol

Great Day my friends..

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#85357 Feb 6, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought it interesting when someone was laying in a casket and someone else would say "He looks just like himself". Why wouldn't they? You would not expect him to look like the guy down the street.
And they also say,"Doesn't he look good!" I say, "He looks dead, how could he look good." LOL I don't attend "wakes" or "viewings" as some people say. I feel that the person's life energy is gone someplace else; hopefully to a better place, and all that is left is the husk. When my mother died a year ago last September, I just had her remains cremated and scattered them where she liked to sit in the summer, looking at the horses in the paddocks and watching the world go by. Most of her friends had passed on before her, and she knew only a few people here. I had brought her down from Ma. to KY about 6 years ago. I took care of her until I could not lift her any longer. Luckily she lived only 6 weeks in the nursing home. I have told hubby that if I pass on before him, I would like the same low key send off. I don't think that it is disrespectful to the dead to be done with the "arrangements" quickly. Now, I must get myself out of this morbid thinking and enjoy the day our Lord has given us.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#85360 Feb 6, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
And they also say,"Doesn't he look good!" I say, "He looks dead, how could he look good." LOL I don't attend "wakes" or "viewings" as some people say. I feel that the person's life energy is gone someplace else; hopefully to a better place, and all that is left is the husk. When my mother died a year ago last September, I just had her remains cremated and scattered them where she liked to sit in the summer, looking at the horses in the paddocks and watching the world go by. Most of her friends had passed on before her, and she knew only a few people here. I had brought her down from Ma. to KY about 6 years ago. I took care of her until I could not lift her any longer. Luckily she lived only 6 weeks in the nursing home. I have told hubby that if I pass on before him, I would like the same low key send off. I don't think that it is disrespectful to the dead to be done with the "arrangements" quickly. Now, I must get myself out of this morbid thinking and enjoy the day our Lord has given us.
I have several brothers who say their wives call them names and never want to listen. It warms my heart to find that relationships do not always go one way;) I think you have no worries that hubby of your loves you very much. Sounds like he came chasing you down after that unfortunate accident with the dishwasher.He'll do exactly what you want ;) You and he impress me by that way you raise your grandchild and love your family. The birds have been chirping all morning.Lovely day.
kevin

Louisa, KY

#85361 Feb 6, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I always thought it interesting when someone was laying in a casket and someone else would say "He looks just like himself". Why wouldn't they? You would not expect him to look like the guy down the street.
When I'm layin' in that casket, I think... I'd like... To look like Denzel Washington.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#85362 Feb 6, 2013
When I am gone, I don't care what they do with my shell. My soul won't be in it anyways. In the old days, people were just laid out at home until family and friends could arrive to celebrate their life and it was more of a "pot luck" reunion than a funeral.

Since there was no air conditioning and quite often no screens, some took turns to be "sitting up with the dead" and stay "wake" just to keep the flies off. Any service was graveside with the community elder just taking off his hat and saying a few words. Generally, no sermons or preachers.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#85363 Feb 6, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
When I am gone, I don't care what they do with my shell. My soul won't be in it anyways. In the old days, people were just laid out at home until family and friends could arrive to celebrate their life and it was more of a "pot luck" reunion than a funeral.

Since there was no air conditioning and quite often no screens, some took turns to be "sitting up with the dead" and stay "wake" just to keep the flies off. Any service was graveside with the community elder just taking off his hat and saying a few words. Generally, no sermons or preachers.
In Deep South Louisiana tradition still dictates sitting up with the dead. I was amazed the first funeral I went to where they had the funeral home opened all night and there was more food than a family reunion.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#85364 Feb 6, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
In Deep South Louisiana tradition still dictates sitting up with the dead. I was amazed the first funeral I went to where they had the funeral home opened all night and there was more food than a family reunion.
Louisiana did many things the old way. It was not unusual for the owner of a country store to keep hogs, chickens, goats etc. out back and process and sell the meat right out of the store. USDA had little to no control over these independant peoples. They also served Boudin along the roadways and had drive-thru daquiri huts. I guess they still do that, I am speaking from experiences of about 30 years ago.
hmmm

Pomona, CA

#85365 Feb 6, 2013
Interesting post

Location hidden

#85366 Feb 6, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
<quoted text> I have several brothers who say their wives call them names and never want to listen. It warms my heart to find that relationships do not always go one way;) I think you have no worries that hubby of your loves you very much. Sounds like he came chasing you down after that unfortunate accident with the dishwasher.He'll do exactly what you want ;) You and he impress me by that way you raise your grandchild and love your family. The birds have been chirping all morning.Lovely day.
Thank-you very much. It was very nice of you to say that.
bird lover

Sun City, CA

#85367 Feb 6, 2013
Those poor birdies
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#85368 Feb 6, 2013
All chicken heads present.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#85369 Feb 6, 2013
All my featherheads are in the coop with their gizzards full, and the head count is complete!! I have such a small flock that it isn't hard to count them though, hehe. I can tell who's in there most times by just listening to them 'coo' and chatter to each other before they fall asleep.

Have you ever noticed that, AW? They chatter to each other and seem to talk? They are such funny critters. It reaally IS hard for me to eat meat lately.

Oddly though I've made some BBQ boneless, skinless, chicken breasts for dinner as a matter of fact. With some white hominy and honey glazed "yellow" carrots!! YUM!! As long as I can eat it and not relate it to my own featherheads, it'll be a great dinner.

Any body wanna come over for dinner? I've made enough for at least three more people, so you better get over here before I vacuum seal it and put it up for hard times in the freezer...
(Or should I say "lazy times")? LOL!!
:)
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#85370 Feb 6, 2013
Good evening birdthreaders. Aren't we lucky in Kentucky, hope all of you had a nice as day as we did in my corner of Kentucky. So happy to see UK win big at Rupp Arena last night. Love those Wildcats.:)

Hope all of you are having a good evening.

Nope, while that 8.0 was happening our western coast was lit up on the map. It even stirred the Madrid area. Missouri had a small one. I seen this and thought you might want to scroll down it and see our big one in Alaska.

30 Days of Earthquakes Worldwide
622 earthquakes of magnitude > 4.0, for uniform distribution
http://www.iris.edu/seismon/eventlist/index.p...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#85371 Feb 6, 2013
Oops, double post. I guess they will get it. lol

For lala, I thought it was a he, apparently not. I thought you might not have seen this on the news.

Budweiser Clydesdale foal is named Hope
http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/budweiser-cly...

I loved that commercial.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#85372 Feb 6, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
All my featherheads are in the coop with their gizzards full, and the head count is complete!! I have such a small flock that it isn't hard to count them though, hehe. I can tell who's in there most times by just listening to them 'coo' and chatter to each other before they fall asleep.
Have you ever noticed that, AW? They chatter to each other and seem to talk? They are such funny critters. It reaally IS hard for me to eat meat lately.
Oddly though I've made some BBQ boneless, skinless, chicken breasts for dinner as a matter of fact. With some white hominy and honey glazed "yellow" carrots!! YUM!! As long as I can eat it and not relate it to my own featherheads, it'll be a great dinner.
Any body wanna come over for dinner? I've made enough for at least three more people, so you better get over here before I vacuum seal it and put it up for hard times in the freezer...
Too many hens to tell who is talking, but I can tell the roosters. I like to watch the roosters find things and then call the hens to come eat. I guess they are doing the opposite of you. LOL Too late for me, I already pigged out on peanut butter LOL

Location hidden

#85373 Feb 6, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I could never eat a chicken that I knew. Yes, they chortle to each other and have lots of conversations. Some chickens, if handled enough when young, will sit in your lap and enjoy someone stroking her feathers. When my kids were little we had a very small flock that behaved more like dogs then chickens, from all the attention that they got.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#85374 Feb 6, 2013
Ancient Wolf, I thought you might enjoy reading about a family really roughing it. Wow, to been the first to see them after so long. Amazing

The people that time forgot: Incredible story of Russian family cut off from all human contact for 40 years who didn't know about WWII and had to eat leather shoes to survive

The Lykovs were Old Believers - members of a persecuted Russian sect

They left for wilderness after Karp saw brother killed by communists in 1936

Lived off land, ate leather shoes in harsh winter, unaware of WWII

Found in 1979 by Russian helicopter searching for spot to land geologists

The Lykovs were stupefied by modern goods like TV and cellophane

Tragically in 1981, three of Lykov children died, possibly of modern diseases

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22702...

The pictures are interesting too. Can you imagine? Wow, I am so thankful to have lived a pretty good pampered life.

Location hidden

#85375 Feb 6, 2013
Where is everybody these days. The thread has been slow in the last 24 hours. Usually I have to read quite a bit in order to catch up, but not tonight. Maybe AW has a dinner date, but where is Hempburn?
I haven't seen him post since Una died. Oh,no, you don't suppose....Naw,can't be.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#85376 Feb 6, 2013
This story cracked me up. lol

Agence France-Presse reports A replica of Michelangelo's Renaissance sculpture David that was erected suddenly last summer is unnerving residents of a Japanese town, with some calling for the naked masterpiece to be given underwear.
The 16 foot tall marble statue was donated by a businessman who hails from the area around Okuizumo.

"It is the first time we have had anything like this in our town. Perhaps people were perplexed," town official Yoji Morinaga said.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/06...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police beatings? 29 min Citizen 3
Sam Watts MUST GO! (Sep '12) 41 min Gone 58
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,848
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 2 hr you know 8
looking for a sugar baby 2 hr Shovel 2
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,574
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 3 hr you know 49
Indictments 3 hr my vote 32
who will you vote for as jailer 8 hr you know 81
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. Fri Curiouswonderer 4