Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
71,661 - 71,680 of 81,598 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#85197 Feb 4, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
No disrespect there AW, I went on a couple runs, surrounding states, no long hauls. I seen all the hard work owner/operators do. I don't know how they do it, let alone long hauls and being away from their families. I meant for someone starting out or back at the bottom of list in a company. That moving up concept while getting better runs, trucks, etc..or working for that rig of their own. It is one of the most unappreciative professions out there. They are a unique bunch and we would grind to a halt without them.
I knew you meant no disrespect. The advantage to being a company driver is that they have to maintain the equipment and owner/operators either pay big money for newer rigs, or just when they think they are a few dollars ahead of the game, here comes a breakdown. It is like I have posted on here several times before "Every Rose Has A Thorn".
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#85198 Feb 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Kroger has the Wolf chili $1 a can this week, if you go to coupons.com there is a .40 cents off coupon which Kroger doubles. The cost of a can is then .20 cents. Not to bad if you want to try a can
Good Afternoon Miss E. I have tried the Wolf brand and I would not eat it again if they gave me the $1. lol
Blueminer

United States

#85199 Feb 4, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you took out some time to have some fun. That place must of been rocking. lol Be safe in your travels and keep faith on that position. Every trucker has to pay their dues if they are not independent owners/drivers. Hang in there. Keep us posted. God Bless you and keep you safe.
Thank You...Things have been hitting me pretty hard for the past few weeks. Your post has.brought me to tears.

God bless You too Abeliever and keep you safe and well. The same wish for all of You.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#85200 Feb 4, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Good Afternoon Miss E. I have tried the Wolf brand and I would not eat it again if they gave me the $1. lol
Lol. I bought a can for 20 cents -- I have never tried it. Maybe my old dog will eat it.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#85202 Feb 4, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
Good mornin Everyone! Still layed over by New Orleans...Even though I had a great time I would have rather been rollin shortly after getting empty Friday at noon.
I'm learning the hard way that a two truck company is not the way to go if seeking a truck driving position. Trucking life sucks these days.
Anytime that you feel down and out, just pop in here and we will give you a big cyberspace hug. LOL Life is not easy, but every once in awhile you catch a break. Love and Prayers, Lala

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#85203 Feb 4, 2013
Grand Birther wrote:
In the Black neighborhoods, where food stamp amounts allotted no longer feeds the people, they must go to beg at churches for food.
The workers at the church get the best available food and the minions get what little is left, most of which they do not even like.
If you apply for food stamps now, they do not expedite help for you even if you are starving.
You get a small jar of peanut butter, with no bread or crackers to put it on, and two small boxes of corn chex to last a family of three up to potentially 2 weeks or more if help actually even comes at all.
You also get 2 pints or quarts of fake milk as well.
The local Kroger's shelves are becoming bare as we speak.
The fights over food are almost upon us.
The end is certainly near.
A usurper has killed this once free and vibrant country.
No one is hiring, many more companies plan to close their doors, such as Best Buy, Kmart, Sears and J.C. Penny to name a few.
I am so sorry to hear that, but I know that it is true. There are many more people living out on the fringe who want to work, but can't make a living wage. I think that single-parent homes have it the worst....it takes a lot more than peanut butter and fake milk to sustain people, especially children. I donate to a feed the children fund, giving what few dollars that I can afford. I have donated to food pantries, but there must be a better way to help those less fortunate, but what it is, I do not know.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#85205 Feb 4, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Afternoon Miss E. I have tried the Wolf brand and I would not eat it again if they gave me the $1. lol
hubby and i gave up on finding a good can of chili from the super market. obviously this is subject to individual taste preference, but we believe a truly good can of store bought chili, does not exist. we can do spicy, but we like the spice of fresh jalapenos and green chili's, fresh green peppers and onions and one packet of French's chili-o.
not the spicy you get from the store canned variety that's often over loaded with enough chili powder to give a small horse an infarction
we pressure canned our own last year and were more than happy with the results. the beef only gets more tender and a quart sized mason jar holds just enough for us each to have a bowl and for him to take a bowl to work.

the plan was to have the cans as back up for when we didn't feel like putting a new crock on, and for me to stay on my every two week chili making schedule..... but it didn't go that way. we just kept opening up the cans till they were gone :)

we eat a lot of chili around here to the point that the ingredients including the pack of ritz crackers are put on our store budget equal to things like toilet paper and cat food and i think at this point hubby would think i had dropped my basket if he didn't come home one Friday morning to a crock of chili.

good chili is an art and it most definitely does not come out of a labeled can.
betty

Elizabethtown, KY

#85206 Feb 4, 2013
really i am just fickle..... i don't cook to cater to anyone else tastes but my own. if one doesn't like something, they can make a pp&j. luckily hubby likes the way i cook and has similar buds. or maybe he just doesn't want to live off of Pb&j's and Vienna sausages .....
Hmmm

Saint Louis, MO

#85208 Feb 4, 2013
Scary
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#85210 Feb 4, 2013
@Betty. the only good chili I have found in the Market's is Bush's chili magic starter and you add meat and tomatoes. Caroll Shelby's packet fixings in a brown bag is fair. it is basically all the spices including some (can't think of the name) spicy flour if you like thicker, but it is for a bigger batch than I want at any particular sitting. I would make that if it was for more than just me.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#85211 Feb 4, 2013
In light of all the badness in our world these days, here's a spot of good news.

"Hostage standoff ends with kidnapper dead, child safe".

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/04/us/alabama-chil ...

~~
Midland City, Alabama (CNN)-- A six-day hostage standoff came to an end Monday when a man holed up a bunker was found dead and police recovered the 5-year-old he abducted, according to a law enforcement official.

The child appeared to be OK emerging from the ordeal, the official said.

Two ambulances left the scene shortly before 4 p.m.(5 p.m. ET).
~~

(Thank you Lord. I'm so glad to hear that this little guy is has finally been freed. What a traumatic ordeal).

Location hidden

#85212 Feb 4, 2013
betty wrote:
really i am just fickle..... i don't cook to cater to anyone else tastes but my own. if one doesn't like something, they can make a pp&j. luckily hubby likes the way i cook and has similar buds. or maybe he just doesn't want to live off of Pb&j's and Vienna sausages .....
When my children were still at home, they became picky as they got older. I was working all day and finally had enough! The kids asked what was for dinner. I replied "YOYO".
"YOYO"? Yes! You're On Your Own
We had YoYo at least three times a week

Location hidden

#85213 Feb 4, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty. the only good chili I have found in the Market's is Bush's chili magic starter and you add meat and tomatoes. Caroll Shelby's packet fixings in a brown bag is fair. it is basically all the spices including some (can't think of the name) spicy flour if you like thicker, but it is for a bigger batch than I want at any particular sitting. I would make that if it was for more than just me.
I just make the large batch and freeze small portions. Then I just microwave and make a pot of rice. The one thing that I dislike about being solo is sometimes I crave something but it seems so much trouble to make it for just myself

#85214 Feb 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. I bought a can for 20 cents -- I have never tried it. Maybe my old dog will eat it.
When I ran out of coffee the other day, I went to the Dollar General and also found myself craving a bowl of 'mater soup and a grilled cheese 'sammich'. I've had neither yet though because I'm committed to still trying to stick to my healthier eating regimen... It was an impulse buy. NEVER go to the store with the munchies, my friends. Not when you're trying to eat healthy..

But anyway, in the canned goods isle was this "Wolf" brand chili. I had a pang in my heart thinking back on Una and AW talking about it so frequently. I laughed at those posts so often. Up until then, I'd never even noticed it in the stores.

I'll never look at a can of "Wolf" chili the same way again. Not that I'll ever TRY it mind you.. There's nothing out there that can compare to homemade chili.. I'm afraid that even at 20 cents a can, it would simply go out to the chickens... My dogs would no doubt fart too badly even if I mixed it with their crunchies. It would be a horribly bad "dogs under the blanket" night here I'm sure, hehe.

I wonder if Una ever got around to trying AW's pointers on a quick and tasty home made recipe...

#85215 Feb 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I just make the large batch and freeze small portions. Then I just microwave and make a pot of rice. The one thing that I dislike about being solo is sometimes I crave something but it seems so much trouble to make it for just myself
That's exactly what I do here, Ms Font. Even with huge pots of veggie soups, etc. You simply can't make a small pot of things like that and have it taste right. I start making soups, stews and chili late fall/early winter so that I have plenty set back for those days that I don't want to cook.
(Which are pretty frequent here lately)

Those small size zip lock freezer bags are the perfect size for one nice size serving. And they're easy to 'burp' the air out so you have a nice seal with no freezer burn. If you lay them flat in the freezer until they're frozen solid, you don't have to worry about things sliding around in your freezer when you rummage around for something quick to heat up. I've got a wide and flat RubberMaid container that I keep them in, stacked up right like you would books on a shelf, hehe.

#85216 Feb 4, 2013
betty wrote:
LOL! Betty, my first husband swore that meatloaf was simply forming a pound or two of ground beef into a square and then salt and peppering it. His was HORRID, but he'd eat it no other way for quite a while..

Not until I finally fixed his tail end one day. I took onion, bread crumbs, the spices and everything else that I'd normally put into my own recipe and placed it into my food processor until it was in too small pieces for him to see the chunks. Then I added it into the hamburger and baked it. He made the remark that it was the best meatloaf I'd ever made. I thanked him and let him finish his meal, all three servings of this suddenly "marvelous" meatloaf.

I spilled the beans after he'd finished his dinner. He never complained about meatloaf ingredients after that night, hehe! I also never had to 'hide' the fixings for my meatloaf that way again either. He never really disliked anything I cooked, he was just spoiled from his mothers method of cooking, which I found to be tasteless and bland.

(Women... We DO have our little ways)..
:)
kevin

Louisa, KY

#85217 Feb 4, 2013
Awww, crap!

The fart man died???

Since: Sep 11

Cave by big rock

#85218 Feb 4, 2013
Blueminer wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank You...Things have been hitting me pretty hard for the past few weeks. Your post has.brought me to tears.
God bless You too Abeliever and keep you safe and well. The same wish for all of You.
Have you checked with CTL trucking he's always looking for drivers.

Location hidden

#85219 Feb 4, 2013
kevin wrote:
Awww, crap!

The fart man died???
I am sad to report it is so.
kevin

Louisa, KY

#85221 Feb 4, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sad to report it is so.
That really bums me out.
I liked takin' lil jabs at him.
Most of his replies cracked me up.
I'll miss readin' his stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 14 min Buzz Brain 1,455
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr BRAIN STORM 130,536
Secret Mitch McConnell Recording 3 hr turtle chin 4
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 4 hr SLY WEST 3,493
laptops 5 hr travis 3
New club in Barbourville? 5 hr Yea right 46
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 hr Limbertwig 151,261
Roger Vanover trying to buy perscription medici... (May '12) 14 hr Girl 40
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••