Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,704

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#83008 Jan 20, 2013
I've heard of the Rum version. Guess it's all about which prime elixir you prefer, hehe!

I always thought raisins were a really healthy food until I was watching something on t.v. that caught my attention the other day.
(Sorry I can't tell you what show it was because it was just another one of those days where the television was just on for a distraction)..

But it seems that one handful of raisins has more sugar in them than a whole raw apple, a scoop of iced cream, or a hand full of Peanut M&M's! To think that raisins had MORE sugar per serving than iced cream or Peanut M&M.s absolutely astonished me.

I'm a diabetic,(inherited that one too, right along with my other ailments), and I always thought that raisins would have been lower on the chart than they were compared to those other foods! Pretty amazing, huh?

“Cleaning Up Christianity ”

Since: Jan 13

Topix Badlands

#83009 Jan 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I've heard of the Rum version. Guess it's all about which prime elixir you prefer, hehe!
I always thought raisins were a really healthy food until I was watching something on t.v. that caught my attention the other day.
(Sorry I can't tell you what show it was because it was just another one of those days where the television was just on for a distraction)..
But it seems that one handful of raisins has more sugar in them than a whole raw apple, a scoop of iced cream, or a hand full of Peanut M&M's! To think that raisins had MORE sugar per serving than iced cream or Peanut M&M.s absolutely astonished me.
I'm a diabetic,(inherited that one too, right along with my other ailments), and I always thought that raisins would have been lower on the chart than they were compared to those other foods! Pretty amazing, huh?
Here you go. My Dad died due to complications of diabetes, so I like to offer anyone that suffers any sort of tips that may benefit their condition, or not worsen it. One of the reasons raisins are high is because most of the moisture is removed shrinking the fruit and increasing "natural" sugar potency to a small bite.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritio...

\_

#83010 Jan 20, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Here you go. My Dad died due to complications of diabetes, so I like to offer anyone that suffers any sort of tips that may benefit their condition, or not worsen it. One of the reasons raisins are high is because most of the moisture is removed shrinking the fruit and increasing "natural" sugar potency to a small bite.
http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritio...
\_
Thank you, JOTL. What a sweet thing to post for those of us who have this disease!!

Personally, I love dried cranberries better than raisins. My chickens and my "green & blue winged wonder bird" get the seedless raisins around here unless they are in an occasional cookie or muffin.. I never was fond of them enough to chow down on a handful on purpose, hehe.

I eventually grew to like prunes simply because I ate them for more iron and potassium. I found a good brand and decided I kind of liked them after all! As long as they're a little bit moist and not try and chewy, they're pretty tasty in my book.

And welcome to the bird thread. I've not seen you here before that I recall.

Love the link you so kindly posted! Thanks again!!!

#83011 Jan 20, 2013
*not DRY and chewy... Sorry for the typo.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#83012 Jan 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
*not DRY and chewy... Sorry for the typo.
I like the dry and chewy ones that are somewhat tart as well,, with a cup of coffee.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#83013 Jan 20, 2013
Arthur likes to mess with my wrists and ankles. I use Watkin's Liniment the same as my granny did many years ago and that works if you can get past the smell (that will take your breath if you get too close) and don't get it in on your lips, eyes, or private areas. It burns just about the same as cutting up raw jalepeno peppers.

I tried other creamy type ointments and most are too greasy to suit me. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I will stick with what works for me.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#83014 Jan 20, 2013
Dried apricots taste mighty fine as well.

Location hidden

#83015 Jan 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
AW, I used to work with harness race horses many, many years ago and there was this ointment called "Beagle"(sp?) balm or some such..
(Wish I could remember the exact name of it).
But I rubbed it into the horses muscles after I'd taken them for a harnessed work-out run around the tracks and had finished bathing and brushing them down. It made your hands even tingle and feel numb.
There are many times I wish I could find that stuff now...
Interesting I never heard of it. We raced harness horses for quite a few years, mostly in Yonkers, New York, and just before we moved here, at a track that opened in Ma. We got out of the business about 10 years ago...talk about boats having a hole in which you throw money. Let me tell you, race horses are much worse. We won plenty of races, but the upkeep was very expensive. Lots of horsemen used DMSO on their animals, and also used it on themselves. It is a wonder that they didn't poison themselves.
Open

Richmond, KY

#83016 Jan 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Google 'glycemic index' and it will help you differentiate between the good carbs and the bad carbs (sugar). For instance, everyone thinks that wheat bread is better for you than white bread. However, if you look on the glycemic scale there is not that much of a difference between them in terms of their effect on your blood sugar.

Location hidden

#83017 Jan 20, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Arthur likes to mess with my wrists and ankles. I use Watkin's Liniment the same as my granny did many years ago and that works if you can get past the smell (that will take your breath if you get too close) and don't get it in on your lips, eyes, or private areas. It burns just about the same as cutting up raw jalepeno peppers.
I tried other creamy type ointments and most are too greasy to suit me. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I will stick with what works for me.
We used Tuttles Liniment on our race horses. We diluted it in water, and then gave them a bath with it after exercise.
That stuff burns like heck, but I admit, I've tried it a few times on my back. It could take your breath away as well. We have a few old horse leg bandages still hanging around, and even after 10 years out of the business, I can still smell the Tuttles.
Open

Richmond, KY

#83018 Jan 20, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
there are also many natural herbal supplements and home remedies you should try before going to pharmaceuticals and insulin, like cinnamon, fish oil, aloe vera, vanadium, chromium, gynema to name just a few.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#83020 Jan 20, 2013
Open wrote:
<quoted text>
Google 'glycemic index' and it will help you differentiate between the good carbs and the bad carbs (sugar). For instance, everyone thinks that wheat bread is better for you than white bread. However, if you look on the glycemic scale there is not that much of a difference between them in terms of their effect on your blood sugar.
Good evening Sybil.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#83021 Jan 20, 2013
No need to scatter folks. I'm not carrying the Bubonic plague. I had my flea dip today.

#83023 Jan 20, 2013
Whatever that balm was, it stunk to the high heavens too.. I could hardly wash it off of me, nor get the stink of it out of my nostrils. My hands would tingle for about an hour afterward. Made it hard as heck to smoke a cigarette, I'll tell ya that much, LOL! And God help you if you forgot and scratched your nose after a fly buzzed you.

This was back in the mid 70's down in Florida. So what that muscle balm stuff truly was, God only knows.

My memory isn't what is used to be, but I'm wanting to say that the track was called the "Ben White Raceway" maybe??

Geez, my brain these days.. I swear.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#83022 Jan 20, 2013
Well, another busy day here I see. Anyone having fun yet?
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#83024 Jan 20, 2013
I see the original Batmobile driven in the iconic television series sold for a tiny $4.2 million dollars at auction, Holy high bid, Batman.

#83025 Jan 20, 2013
Open wrote:
<quoted text>
there are also many natural herbal supplements and home remedies you should try before going to pharmaceuticals and insulin, like cinnamon, fish oil, aloe vera, vanadium, chromium, gynema to name just a few.
I've got it pretty well under control now, but thanks. I watch what I eat and like a lot of vegetables as opposed to meats and such anyway. I don't use much sugar or salt at all either. I'd say what little bit of sugar I get comes from what's already in something when I get lazy and eat a prepackaged thing of some sort. The salt too.

If you all haven't yet, you should really start reading what's on the labels of some of these foods that are 'supposed' to be good for us. The sodium levels are sky high in almost everything out there.. Not to mention the preservatives..

#83026 Jan 20, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Well, another busy day here I see. Anyone having fun yet?
It was a good day here, Roaming. Very relaxing. Sorry yours was hectic.

#83027 Jan 20, 2013
Wow, Hemp! A measly 4.2 mill? What I couldn't put THAT to use for, HAHA!!

A dog shelter and some additional property for rescues would be first on my list. And some employees to help me out of course..
:)

“It was only just a song”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83028 Jan 20, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
No need to scatter folks. I'm not carrying the Bubonic plague. I had my flea dip today.
Still here. Your just a big teddy...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amanda Jordan 6 min mizzthang 16
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 26 min Anonymous 131,567
has anyone found a male fox hound with a red co... 1 hr love to know 10
Barbourville utilities 1 hr Flunkies 8
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 2 hr Princess Hey 365
3 sum 2 hr Big J 5
cheap bankruptcy lawyer 3 hr Okie dokie 1
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Fri Anonymous 48
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville