Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,475)

Showing posts 69,481 - 69,500 of81,544
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
Etouffe**
LOL! Not a problem, Ms Font. I've done that before too. I've had a strange word I couldn't spell, so I looked for it on-line then just copy and pasted the first one that came up, hehe. It sometimes does some strange things to our diction. LOL! I knew what you meant though and I knew what happened...
:)
rapid fire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> You are welcome. More info on "Scotch-Irish" is available through Google. It says that we are a strong minded (stubborn) peoples and somewhat Nomadic always looking for better opportunities and the heritage also includes Daniel Boone, Meriwether Lewis, and Sam Houston. Nearly 200,000 immigrated to America during the great potato famine. I guess we came looking for taters. LOL
my brother traced our ancestors back to the 1600's and found that they came here as peasants and entered the country on the work program, they had to work as servants under the gaurdianship of the wealthy for two years to earn thier citizenship. brother said as he searched, he learned that nobody in our family or clan ever owned any slaves. i said you know Why don't you ? he said; No..Why? i said; because none of them could afford any !!! hehehe
Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Hey Blue!! What's the weather like up there? Good to hear from ya!!

Hello Nope! It's just cold up this way. I've been lucky so far this year and only had to deal w/nasty weather a few times. Although I came uot of Alabama a few nights ago with about a ton of ice on my truck. It was about a quarter inch thick on the tractor.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

rapid fire wrote:
<quoted text>my brother traced our ancestors back to the 1600's and found that they came here as peasants and entered the country on the work program, they had to work as servants under the gaurdianship of the wealthy for two years to earn thier citizenship. brother said as he searched, he learned that nobody in our family or clan ever owned any slaves. i said you know Why don't you ? he said; No..Why? i said; because none of them could afford any !!! hehehe
I only made it back to 1711 when my paternal Scotch-Irish ancestor came to America, I did not pursue his life before that time in Ireland. My maternal side is also Scotch-Irish and Cherokee with very few records and I can't trace back even that far.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Blueminer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Nope! It's just cold up this way. I've been lucky so far this year and only had to deal w/nasty weather a few times. Although I came uot of Alabama a few nights ago with about a ton of ice on my truck. It was about a quarter inch thick on the tractor.
Glad you made it safely. I'd hate to drive a rig in an ice storm.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Good Evening BlueMiner. My son was in Pittsburg Tuesday evening, but is near Topeka Kansas a few hours ago. He did not say anything about bad weather, only that he was hungry LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Very chilly!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Well, you stay safe out there! I have some family up in Ohio and usually if it gets bad they'll call to see how it is down my way. I've not heard from them, so I assumed it wasn't too terrible yet. I don't know where Salem is though, but I've heard of it before. I'll Google it in a few.

Winter has quite a while to stick around yet. Sure as the world, bad weather is lurking... Whether it hits us here or not remains to be seen.

I hope I don't run out of any prescriptions the day of any mass snowstorm like I did a couple of years ago.. These damned insurance companies won't help pay for them if you're a day early, ya know... I had to go almost four days without one of my meds that year. An it was an important medication, at that...

When it snows out where I live, we never see hide nor hair of a snow plow. Not even a salt truck. We're on our own out here, hehe. Not complaining, mind you. But......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in the South, Cajuns had a similar mindset. They use to say about a pig, we eat everything but the oink
My grandmother used part of the ears, tongue, and snout to make "head cheese" which is very tasty.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I only made it back to 1711 when my paternal Scotch-Irish ancestor came to America, I did not pursue his life before that time in Ireland. My maternal side is also Scotch-Irish and Cherokee with very few records and I can't trace back even that far.
Believe it or not, my heritage is a mystery, and I can only go back as far as my grandparents, on either side. My maternal grandmother never would discuss her life prior to coming to this country. All she would say is that there were severe limitations on one's freedom, especially freedom to openly worship, and that living conditions were very bad. I must have family ties in Eastern Europe, but no information. Sometimes I think I was just hatched out of an egg.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandmother used part of the ears, tongue, and snout to make "head cheese" which is very tasty.
I don't know if that was what we called "souse", but it was the same parts made like pickle loaf with pimentoes and red peppers. Fairly spicy, but too greasy to suit me. LOL

My dad liked hog brains and scrambled eggs, I just liked to puke. LOL
Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Good Evening BlueMiner. My son was in Pittsburg Tuesday evening, but is near Topeka Kansas a few hours ago. He did not say anything about bad weather, only that he was hungry LOL
I can relate to that! Deadlines, weather, traffic, customers, and dispatchers all seem to conspire to make us feel like there is not time to stop and get some food sometimes. In fact sometimes there simply isn't enough time to stop and eat.

Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you made it safely. I'd hate to drive a rig in an ice storm.
Thanks it wasn't so bad. Everything but the roads was glazing over.
Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if that was what we called "souse", but it was the same parts made like pickle loaf with pimentoes and red peppers. Fairly spicy, but too greasy to suit me. LOL
I'll eat up some brains and eggs!
rapid fire

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe it or not, my heritage is a mystery, and I can only go back as far as my grandparents, on either side. My maternal grandmother never would discuss her life prior to coming to this country. All she would say is that there were severe limitations on one's freedom, especially freedom to openly worship, and that living conditions were very bad. I must have family ties in Eastern Europe, but no information. Sometimes I think I was just hatched out of an egg.
from reading your text, I suppose maybe they fell from the sky ? which would make you an angel and/or alien....welcome.
Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Well Roamingnsomniac, Miss E Font and Everybody else, Good Night. I'm already on this dock. I'm gonna be the first one out of here in the mornin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Essentially the same stuff, but without the pimentos. I never knew about hog brains and scrambled eggs. When I first came here, I ate at a breakfast buffet in town and thought the eggs were the best I had in a restaurant, not dried out. I enjoyed them until I looked a little closer and saw stuff in it that wasn't egg. I nearly puked when I asked about it and the restaurant owner told me what it was. I get sick even thinking about it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Yeah, that's not a job I'd like to have during the winter months either. And the winds? Oh no, not for me.. I still have a couple of friends who do it though and they say they'd not have any other job. They love it.

There was a time that I'd have loved to have been an OTR driver. Way back when I was immortal, in my own mind of course..
:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I had read Alex Haley's "ROOTS" which prompted me to search my own heritage. Maybe when we get older we have more interest in just knowing where we came from, at least that was my case. The paternal side was easier just tracing the surname. Maternal was not so easy since they lived remotely in Appalachia.

I did find it interesting to search about the history of the area, the coal mining community and the attempts to Unionize. I did find that my great-grandfather was murdered by illegal company deputies only because he wanted to join the Union, and the winter supply of sorghum molasses was spread over the ripped open feather beds and my grandmother and her Mom nearly starved and froze that winter.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

rapid fire wrote:
<quoted text>from reading your text, I suppose maybe they fell from the sky ? which would make you an angel and/or alien....welcome.
They were all aliens...but legal. An angel, I am not. That's for sure.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 69,481 - 69,500 of81,544
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 14 min ChromiuMan 127,863
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr RepubliTRASH 144,688
Do people still cruise the strip on weekends? 1 hr gator 12
free phones for anybody that gets food stamps o... 1 hr gator 2
Big chicken 1 hr gator 9
in loving memory (Dec '08) 3 hr mee 184
SOAR public listening sessions planned 3 hr Frances 1
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 5 hr FarePrey 372
KC Basketball Coach 20 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters