Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments (Page 3,474)

Showing posts 69,461 - 69,480 of81,552
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

i don't have any problem with hunters that make use of or share the meat. But I have seen way too many that take the tenderloins out of the back and leave the rest to rot rather than give it to the needy. Reminds me of the Great Plains buffalo kill off while the Native Americans were literally starving. I would never be able to preserve an entire deer and the few times I tried to give some away, no one wanted it. So I prefer to just look.
W KY Girl

Barrington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Nigerians tried to run a scam on me. It was so unbelievable that I couldn't see how anyone could get caught up in one, but apparently, people do.
Hi Oglala. I have had a few ferners' try and scam me too. I had one guy that would call and tell me that I had a virus on my computer. He would always want me to get on my computer and log online. There was also a girl that would call and want to do something or another about my credit cards. I messed with her head so bad she hung up on me and never called back. I had fun with her! LOL And I do remember one Nigerian trying to scam me online. They have big call centers set up just for their scams. I wonder if those people working at a "scam center" have a 401K and health insurance? lol.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Deer hides can be "tanned" using the brain matter as a rubbing compound.
W KY Girl

Barrington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad, but true. I chased a couple of poachers off over here just last night. That's why I got off line when I did. Turned all the lights off, waiting for them to come back for their truck down yonder...
They did. And I got lucky enough to scare the crap out of 'em again, ROFLMAO!!
I love the sound that comes out of my 20 gage. It's like a canon going off in the hills and it's hard to really tell exactly WHERE it's being shot off. Hehehehe.
I suppose it wouldn't have been nice to let the air out of all four of their tires huh? LOL

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Funny stuff on here since last night, LOL!
Lala, what are you gonna do with that horse? You are SO like me. Strays seem to have a "QUICKLY! Head over to Nope's place" GPS in every one of them..
I don't know what I'd do with anything larger than a dog if it showed up. There was a cow roaming around my front yard once, but someone was already looking for it.
(Thank God)...
Oh, and then there was that mean ass goat a few years back. Again, the owners were looking for him though. That hateful and stinky old thing.
(He was one lucky goat THAT day. Had he decided to jump up on any of the vehicles? Well, I'd rather not say. He was hateful! Pure demon eyed, head butting, hateful)..
Right now, my woods have that really weird 'baby aspirin orange glow' going on. The sky looks SO strange. I don't like it when that color permeates everything around here. Even the cloud cover is that nasty pinkish/orange color Makes me want to hurl, and somehow my psyche feels 'off' with this hazy glow out there. It's not natural.. Hope it goes away soon. I'd rather have pitch darkness than look out at everything under that "baby aspirin pink" glow that I have going on outside right now..
The owner picked up the horse, thank goodness. You'd be surprised at the critters that show up, two and four-legged varieties. I had a bull on my front lawn when I came home from work, and I had a stray pot-bellied pig. The neighbors adopted the pig, and the bull's owner took him back. I am just a magnet for lost or abandoned animals.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose it wouldn't have been nice to let the air out of all four of their tires huh? LOL
Not to mention dangerous. There were two of them as far as I could tell, and only one of me here last night.. Besides the fact that I won't intentionally put my dogs out in harms way. I love them too much. They do their job here on the homestead. That's what they've been trained to do, hehe! I do my job on the "outer limits", roflmbo!!

I don't think they'll be back around this way any time soon. If they do show up, they've got to be pretty damned stupid.. I'm not one to call the law. It would take them too dang long to make their way out here anyway. God help me if I ever need an ambulance... I'd just lay down and say my prayers, hopefully to wake up again after whatever ails me passes..

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
Deer hides can be "tanned" using the brain matter as a rubbing compound.
I've heard that, AW. I tried my hand at preserving a hide once. Scrapped the remaining tissue off, rubbed salt all over it till I thought my own skin would fall off, left it out in the sun, re-salted it for a few days, etc...

I got the hide from a slaughter yard, but didn't go very well. Maybe it had been frozen beforehand and had gone "bad"? I don't know. But the fur all fell off eventually. That was the last time I ever tried it. Don't know exactly where I went wrong, but it was a disaster.

The bull skull with big old horns I got the same day as the hide came out really well, but fire ants did all the work on that for me. It was slick and clean as a whistle in two days time. I know why those suckers hurt so bad now. Little demons.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Lala, you're blessed. And so are the lost critters that find their way to you.

My Granny always said that God has a special place for people who hold kindness in their hearts for nature and the Lords critters. If that's true, you'll have a golden mansion in the sky my friend.

Hopefully we'll be neighbors 'up there' if I make it too.
(I believe that I'll will)....

I've told the Lord many times that if Heaven has "chores" for those of us who didn't quite meet ALL the required standards for earning our wings when we pass over, that He could make me keeper of the critters. I'd be very happy to spend my eternity with His creatures.....
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I am not exactly sure how the Native Americans tanned the hides, I just know they used the brain material and I am sure the pioneers learned how to make things from them... such things as clothing and pouches for tobacco and gun powder. "Keep your powder dry, boys" LOL

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Ancient Wolf wrote:
I am not exactly sure how the Native Americans tanned the hides, I just know they used the brain material and I am sure the pioneers learned how to make things from them... such things as clothing and pouches for tobacco and gun powder. "Keep your powder dry, boys" LOL
I remember (many moons ago) when I was in college, my anatomy professor taught us about this. Apparently there are oils in the brain tissue that condition and used in preparing the hide. It was like one deer brain and boiling water....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Interesting. One thing that I'll always admired was the way Native Americans never let ANYTHING go to waste. Even offering up a prayer over their kill. If only humans were that way today.

Sometime last year I found a tiny baby deer out on the property. Much too small to have ever survived on it's own, even with a lot of luck...

I assume it's Momma was killed and it died here for whatever reason.. It was so fresh that the buzzards hadn't even gotten to most of it yet. I was SO depressed over that find. Knowing that this little baby deer had been out there all alone and I didn't get to it in time? I was completely devastated. It hurts me still now, just thinking back on it.

That's why I'll chase off any and all hunters I see around here unless they've checked in with me personally. And even in that case, it's not likely that I'll ever give anyone permission to hunt here. People just plain suck.

Like AW said, I've run across whole carcasses left behind with nothing but the prime cuts taken away too. It makes me ill. Human beings aren't my favorite life forms...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Interesting. One thing that I'll always admired was the way Native Americans never let ANYTHING go to waste. Even offering up a prayer over their kill. If only humans were that way today.

Sometime last year I found a tiny baby deer out on the property. Much too small to have ever survived on it's own, even with a lot of luck...

I assume it's Momma was killed and it died here for whatever reason.. It was so fresh that the buzzards hadn't even gotten to most of it yet. I was SO depressed over that find. Knowing that this little baby deer had been out there all alone and I didn't get to it in time? I was completely devastated. It hurts me still now, just thinking back on it.

That's why I'll chase off any and all hunters I see around here unless they've checked in with me personally. And even in that case, it's not likely that I'll ever give anyone permission to hunt here. People just plain suck.

Like AW said, I've run across whole carcasses left behind with nothing but the prime cuts taken away too. It makes me ill. Human beings aren't my favorite life forms...
When I was in the South, Cajuns had a similar mindset. They use to say about a pig, we eat everything but the oink
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was in the South, Cajuns had a similar mindset. They use to say about a pig, we eat everything but the oink
That is just not cajun, but the old ways most everywhere. Hogs were the one meat product that could be cured and perserved without refridgeration and families survived on all winter. We even cleaned out the intestines and made sausage sacks.

We sometimes think the Hatfield-McCoy feud is laughable having been started over who owned the pig. But that was the entire winter's food source for the family and you bet it was a serious issue.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I have a dear friend who's a 100% born, bred and raised Cajun. You're probably not stretching the truth there, hehe!! Man, can she cook!! Some of the best Cajun meals I've ever had in my life. Her hubby owned a shrimp boat until not too long ago. The times we used to have, hehe! Loved going out shrimping with them in the Gulf and then cooking big pots of all different kinds of yummies for days and days afterward.... Good times..
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

@Nope.. then I suppose you have eaten Boudin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I have a dear friend who's a 100% born, bred and raised Cajun. You're probably not stretching the truth there, hehe!! Man, can she cook!! Some of the best Cajun meals I've ever had in my life. Her hubby owned a shrimp boat until not too long ago. The times we used to have, hehe! Loved going out shrimping with them in the Gulf and then cooking big pots of all different kinds of yummies for days and days afterward.... Good times..
I made crawfish étouffée the other night---a personal favorite. Listened to a little Wayne Toupes to round out the night

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Yes! I did have some!! My mind was my worse enemy though. There are a few things that would be better on my palate if I didn't know what or how they were made, ROFLMBO!!

And what is that thing they cook in Ireland? Is it Haggas? Haggus? I don't even know how to spell it. Stomach, intestines or something isn't it? Is it even from Ireland? Or England..... Hmmmm.
No mind, it's plain nasty sounding. Never tried it though.

Case in point: I cant' eat meatloaf outside of my own home. Don't know where whatever is in it has been.

Or those Slim Jims. I used to love them. Can't think about eating one now.

Even meatballs, not unless I've cooked 'em. None of those store bought or pre-made things are ever in my freezer, LOL!!!
Blueminer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Hi Everybody! From Salem Ohio.

You guys never let me down as far as interesting reading goes. I gotta post a few words of thanks on the BG and Scottsville forums, but I'll probably be back for a few.

Hey Ancient Wolf one of these days I'm really gonna try to sew a rip in a pair o jeans with a yucca plant...Just so I can say I did that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Judged:

Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>I made crawfish étouffée the other night---a personal favorite. Listened to a little Wayne Toupes to round out the night
Etouffe**

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

Hey Blue!! What's the weather like up there? Good to hear from ya!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 69,461 - 69,480 of81,552
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

49 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min just 144,926
I have nothing to say.. 23 min Tehee Candor 3
What happened at the dollor store in flat lick ... 40 min Johnny 2
Barbourville topix 1 hr Rumors 7
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 1 hr 75 Scorpio 3,740
Fight 2 hr Brothers Market 1
KC Basketball Coach 2 hr Great 65
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 5 hr Butt head 383
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters