Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Comments
69,161 - 69,180 of 81,559 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

W KY Girl wrote:
Silly boys, no doubt the moon is BLUE.
"Blue Moon of Kentucky"
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Nice tune.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
You got it AW, silence. I love it. I rarely have a TV or radio on. I did install a new radio in my truck recently, the old one was messed up and constantly popping and changing settings on it's own. Most of the newer ones don't have an off position and are on when the key is on. Even with the volume off it still clicked and popped. Lol. When I say silence I mean silence.
Godd Morning Una. I got my chores caught up for now and sat back down here for a break. I guess the radio in my truck works. I turned it on 3 years ago. LOL

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Of, course, Theodore. But people had more fun back in the day. They didn't sit in front of a computer screen and keyboard. They did something that's gone out of style. They got together, partied, or had quiet conversations with friends (face to face).
Thank you lala. It seems these days some people can't say a complete sentence without posting a Youtube link and/or check it out on Facebook. It's like so many folks are stuck in DUHland these days. Even in this town, signs in front of various businesses follow or join us on Facebook. Like I care, I don't even go in their freaky store. Geez.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice tune.
I didn't even bother lala. That song has been around longer than I have. Nothing new. LOL.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Godd Morning Una. I got my chores caught up for now and sat back down here for a break. I guess the radio in my truck works. I turned it on 3 years ago. LOL
Good morning AW. LOL, that sounds just like me. I guess I could have pulled the radio fuse, but I like the light source from the radio. I'm about night blind driving and need all the help I can get finding dash controls. Lol. That clicking and popping was driving me crazier than I already am. I do have a little ways to go. I have noticed lately, there are folks crazier than I am. Speaking of crazy, tomorrow is the day the old eagle poots for us. We are supposed to be getting our raise too. I mighy just get to go to the Dollar Store, Save A Lot and Family Dollar. I can hardly wait.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
Of, course, Theodore. But people had more fun back in the day. They didn't sit in front of a computer screen and keyboard. They did something that's gone out of style. They got together, partied, or had quiet conversations with friends (face to face).
Good Morning Lala. That is one of my favorite memories. Going with my dad up to the neighbor's house and sitting with the old kerosene lamp on (no electric) and a fire in the fireplace and listening to Dad and the neighbor just talk about various subjects while I looked through the neighbor's "Progressive Farmer" magazine and lusted after all the pretties in the Sears and Roebuck catalogue that could be ordered if only we had some money.

Later in the evening, the flames would lower to just glowing coals and the neighbor would bring out an old fireplace popcorn popper (that I still have) and would bring me an ear of popcorn that I would shell and pop and we would sit there eating the popcorn. It made me feel so good that I had actually fixed something that we all shared.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

AW, I bet that is where the term "Wishbook" came from, us poor folks looking through the Sears and Roebuck catalog.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning AW. LOL, that sounds just like me. I guess I could have pulled the radio fuse, but I like the light source from the radio. I'm about night blind driving and need all the help I can get finding dash controls. Lol. That clicking and popping was driving me crazier than I already am. I do have a little ways to go. I have noticed lately, there are folks crazier than I am. Speaking of crazy, tomorrow is the day the old eagle poots for us. We are supposed to be getting our raise too. I mighy just get to go to the Dollar Store, Save A Lot and Family Dollar. I can hardly wait.
Yep, tomorrow is the day. I have my checks all made out and laying here ready to mail. I could drop them in the rural box but I am out of stamps so I will have to stop at the Post Office on my way to Sav-a-Lot and the Dollar store. Ah, the simple pleasures. LOL Some people dont like paying bills, but I enjoy cleaning the slate for one more month.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
AW, I bet that is where the term "Wishbook" came from, us poor folks looking through the Sears and Roebuck catalog.
You are right. I don't know that we ever bought anything, just wished. I saw on the history channel some time back that George Sears worked for the railroads that were just coming of age and he got started buying and selling pocket watches to all the station masters along the tracks so they could keep up with the schedules. Plus the railroads were responsible for standardizing the time.

Then that went on to selling sewing machines to all the ladies that livd in the Midwest along the tracks and his business became one of the first mail order retailers and he took on Roebuck as a partner. I find that type stuff most interesting.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

You folks have a good day. It is time for me to fix something to eat. It will soon be noon time here. I think I made it through the month with a can of tuna that ought to be made into a nice sandwich. LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
I remember the great "wish book." My grandmother always kept a copy in the old outhouse on their farm. LOL That dang outhouse had snakes that burrowed under it and slid through the mud. Eeeek.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Lala. That is one of my favorite memories. Going with my dad up to the neighbor's house and sitting with the old kerosene lamp on (no electric) and a fire in the fireplace and listening to Dad and the neighbor just talk about various subjects while I looked through the neighbor's "Progressive Farmer" magazine and lusted after all the pretties in the Sears and Roebuck catalogue that could be ordered if only we had some money.
Later in the evening, the flames would lower to just glowing coals and the neighbor would bring out an old fireplace popcorn popper (that I still have) and would bring me an ear of popcorn that I would shell and pop and we would sit there eating the popcorn. It made me feel so good that I had actually fixed something that we all shared.
Sad to say, AW, but those days are long gone. We were poor when we were growing up, but we didn't feel poor because everyone was in the same boat. When I was a kid, we would go to my grandparents' farm in the summers. On Saturday nights, my uncle would make a small campfire and we would roast hot dogs and marshmallows. The kids got to stay up a little later, and listen as the adults talked about various things or told a "campfire" story. Now, kids would consider that to be silly and boring. It's too bad that our young are missing out on these experiences. What fond memories will they have when they grow up? I'm sure it won't be about the exciting video games they played.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Got to do some chores. Will be back later.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, tomorrow is the day. I have my checks all made out and laying here ready to mail. I could drop them in the rural box but I am out of stamps so I will have to stop at the Post Office on my way to Sav-a-Lot and the Dollar store. Ah, the simple pleasures. LOL Some people dont like paying bills, but I enjoy cleaning the slate for one more month.
AW, won't your mail lady leave stamps in your mailbox? All I have to do is leave a check in the mailbox made out to "Postmaster" for the number of stamps I want and my mail lady will leave them in a pretty orange envelope in my mailbox. Hehehe.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right. I don't know that we ever bought anything, just wished. I saw on the history channel some time back that George Sears worked for the railroads that were just coming of age and he got started buying and selling pocket watches to all the station masters along the tracks so they could keep up with the schedules. Plus the railroads were responsible for standardizing the time.
Then that went on to selling sewing machines to all the ladies that livd in the Midwest along the tracks and his business became one of the first mail order retailers and he took on Roebuck as a partner. I find that type stuff most interesting.
Things like that are interesting. I can remember as a little brat being in Cal Turner Sr's first store as far as I know. It was a second hand clothing store, with a few pair of el cheap-O new shoes, located in a small building on the Scottsville square. I never would have thought that the store called Turson's (Turner & Sons)would grow into Dollar General Corp. Cal Sr. always seemed to hang onto the "old School way's" he alway's tipped his hat to every lady he would meet out in public. When Cal Jr. took over it was more uppity. Lol.
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Good afternoon bird threaders. How is everyone. Chores done? Nap over? hahaha

It was a frigid night and morning. More to come tonight. Brrrrr That's okay, I don't plan on going anywhere anyway. Had delicious cake and coffee with little sis and watched our favorite show for Monday night...Hawaii Five-O, talked until after midnight so I was too tired to get on the computer. Lots of interesting posts.:)

All of you are right on this generation missing out on so much like the memories you described. I cherish all of mine and glad I have them.

AW, Teddy is right, the mailman/lady will leave you stamps. They all do it. I hope our post offices survive around the country as USPS loses money due to all the internet offers. Pretty sad to watch happen. Nature of the Progress beast.

Hope you all are staying warm while winter reminds us it is JANUARY.:(
Abeliever

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Things like that are interesting. I can remember as a little brat being in Cal Turner Sr's first store as far as I know. It was a second hand clothing store, with a few pair of el cheap-O new shoes, located in a small building on the Scottsville square. I never would have thought that the store called Turson's (Turner & Sons)would grow into Dollar General Corp. Cal Sr. always seemed to hang onto the "old School way's" he alway's tipped his hat to every lady he would meet out in public. When Cal Jr. took over it was more uppity. Lol.
I love all those stories. I remember Mom and Dad describing the hand me downs, cardboard in shoes with holes, 5&10 stores, when they were growing up. I myself, have been spoiled and priviledge. We couldn't wait to get the Sears and JC Penny catalogs to do our wish list. We wrote our names on what we wanted in the book after circling it. They especially were anticipated when we were in Germany. Army life provided a great life for our family. I am proud my father served and always took care of his family. We always had what we needed, good food to eat, vacations, experience with different cultures, lots of friends and family all over the world, not as much as we all personally wanted as we were a large family (8), but always had what we needed and my Mom was a wife, mother, and home maker. We were blessed.

My fondest memories on vacations were trips to Grandma's and listening to all those stories, Uncles farms we roamed, learning how to plant, cook from scratch, sew, feed animals, appreciate and respect our planet among so much more. My favorite was all the family cousins etc getting together under this big scary weeping willow in my Grandma's front yard. We'd spread blankets out, get our snacks, flashlights and wait for my Uncle to get home so we could gather under it and have the daylights scrared out of us by his scary stories. My Grandma used to have a fit. We loved it. Always wanting to be more scared than the story before. He never had children but he sure was a great Uncle. lol I have been blessed in this lifetime despite all the loss/tragedies. What don't kill you makes you stronger.

Thanks for sparking memories I had buried with so many other ones. Makes my heart smile too.:)

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

Judged:

Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the great "wish book." My grandmother always kept a copy in the old outhouse on their farm. LOL That dang outhouse had snakes that burrowed under it and slid through the mud. Eeeek.
Yep, lala we had a Sears & Roebuck catalog in our outhouse. Everyone went for the softer index pages first. Lol. Those slick pages were tough on the tootie if you got a crease in them. Lol. My mama came out of the outhouse running and screaming one day. She was terrified of snakes. Of course once again, I didn't laugh at all. Hehehehe. After I regained my composure from laughing so hard, I got a big stick and went in after that snake. It was a very large cow snake, quite harmless, but I beat it to death anyway. Lol. I don't kill non posionous snakes anymore.

Before my 14 year old minature Poodle died, ever now and then I would catch a big garter snake just to watch her attack it. A snake struck at her when she was about half grown, she killed it and hated them from that day on. I would catch one by the tail, yell sneaky snake, toss it over the fenced in area to her. The fight was on. She would grab that snake in the middle and shake her head so fast that snake would fly out of her mouth in two pieces, then she would attack either section that moved. LOL. I finally quit that. Her face would smell funky after doing that and I would have to clean her up. She was hilarious. She hated Minnionites in their horse pulled buggies too. We could get behind one in town when driving if she didn't see it on her own, I would yell jackasses. She would start looking with her front feet on the dash and hind legs on the seat, barking at them. Then it was to the back seat when we passed them. God I miss that dog.
smiley

Mayfield, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, lala we had a Sears & Roebuck catalog in our outhouse. Everyone went for the softer index pages first. Lol. Those slick pages were tough on the tootie if you got a crease in them. Lol. My mama came out of the outhouse running and screaming one day. She was terrified of snakes. Of course once again, I didn't laugh at all. Hehehehe. After I regained my composure from laughing so hard, I got a big stick and went in after that snake. It was a very large cow snake, quite harmless, but I beat it to death anyway. Lol. I don't kill non posionous snakes anymore.
Before my 14 year old minature Poodle died, ever now and then I would catch a big garter snake just to watch her attack it. A snake struck at her when she was about half grown, she killed it and hated them from that day on. I would catch one by the tail, yell sneaky snake, toss it over the fenced in area to her. The fight was on. She would grab that snake in the middle and shake her head so fast that snake would fly out of her mouth in two pieces, then she would attack either section that moved. LOL. I finally quit that. Her face would smell funky after doing that and I would have to clean her up. She was hilarious. She hated Minnionites in their horse pulled buggies too. We could get behind one in town when driving if she didn't see it on her own, I would yell jackasses. She would start looking with her front feet on the dash and hind legs on the seat, barking at them. Then it was to the back seat when we passed them. God I miss that dog.
You really ought to get a small one from the pound. They can be such great company and they need a home. I don't think that I would be happy without a dog.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 16 min reality 146,890
where did the hot topix malena cox go 36 min know 1
Corn for Sale 1 hr seller 1
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr Flint hill bandit 26,210
House cleaning 2 hr Joe 5
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr ChromiuMan 128,923
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 7 hr Flint hill bandit 16,129
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder Sun sheila 420
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••