Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,680

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81834 Jan 11, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
We used to get doses of Paregoric when we were little.. That crap was a real mind bender.
Castor oil was also really common in our house.
And those nasty poultice/plasters for a chest cold? OMG. I can still smell it.
I can't spell it but we got something called assophitity bags that we wore around our neck to keep down colds. If we got one, we wore a plaster made from hot mustard and Vick's salve. Cloverine Salve was used a lot too. It was nothing more than petroleum jelly with a better smell, so was Rosebud salve. They even put some of either one of those on old Bossy's dried and cracking udders.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#81835 Jan 11, 2013
Mine are snoring like wild hogs right now, so don't feel bad. I think they were pissed at me for waking them up again... Spoiled critters, I swear.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81836 Jan 11, 2013
I only have the one medium sized short haired dog, and he is my constant companion and alarmist. He goes where I go and waits in the truck. So if it is extremely hot or cold I don't go. It is amazing how many people only know me as "the guy with the dog".

#81837 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't spell it but we got something called assophitity bags that we wore around our neck to keep down colds. If we got one, we wore a plaster made from hot mustard and Vick's salve. Cloverine Salve was used a lot too. It was nothing more than petroleum jelly with a better smell, so was Rosebud salve. They even put some of either one of those on old Bossy's dried and cracking udders.
Oh, dear me. You bet'cha on that Vicks salve! I think I have that smell permanently embedded in my sinuses. That and Soltice, I think was the name? I think it came out in the late '50s probably.. Some kind of thick nasty smelling chest rub.

Ewwwwwe. Dang it. Just thinking back and still smell it right now..

I'm going to try to go back to bed. Hope you're able to get some sleep too. Goodnight..
:)

#81838 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I only have the one medium sized short haired dog, and he is my constant companion and alarmist. He goes where I go and waits in the truck. So if it is extremely hot or cold I don't go. It is amazing how many people only know me as "the guy with the dog".
I have a few. Don't wanna put on here what they look like. They're odd breeds. Don't want a stalker to find us, hehe! I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone who came up on my land to hurt my kids.. Don't think I'd hesitate to shoot anyone these days anyway, the looks of things.....

You have a good night. Hope to chat tomorrow!
:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81839 Jan 11, 2013
Good night to you as well. I about as well try for more sleep, my boondocks internet connection keeps dropping out anyways. Later.
wondering

Booneville, KY

#81840 Jan 11, 2013
Bartender, I need a drink!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81841 Jan 11, 2013
wondering wrote:
Bartender, I need a drink!
What's your poison? shine, beer, Bloody Nary, Uncle Jim, Brother Jack, purple hooters, wine, or Kool-Aid ?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81843 Jan 11, 2013
I guess I should not have chatted about dogs and fishing. I dreamed I caught a scaly, green thing that looked like a dog. And you folks think that other posters are crazy. hehehe

When I was young, we did catch something in the rivers we called a "mud puppY" or sometimes a "water dog". It was a fishy thing with feet but I have not seen anything like that in many years. I might Google to see if I can find "mud puppy" or "water dog".
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81844 Jan 11, 2013
Interesting. Both mud puppy and water dog are there. It says they are a brownish colored salamanders that live in rivers and ponds and can crawl on the bottom with their feet, or hold the feet against the body for swimming.

Maybe I am not so crazy after all. hehehe

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#81846 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I guess I should not have chatted about dogs and fishing. I dreamed I caught a scaly, green thing that looked like a dog. And you folks think that other posters are crazy. hehehe
When I was young, we did catch something in the rivers we called a "mud puppY" or sometimes a "water dog". It was a fishy thing with feet but I have not seen anything like that in many years. I might Google to see if I can find "mud puppy" or "water dog".
Oh yep, the good ol' water dog. Lol. Mean rascals with sharp teeth. My dad caught one of those things on a trot line. I was in the 7th grade in town school. The old one room school was in the country and had grades 1-6. I took that water dog to school for a Science project. The teachers had never seen anything like it. They put it in a 10 gal aquarium with some water rocks and things like that. It wasn't dead but in a couple of days that thing started stinking. LOL. It stunk up the entire class room. I don't know what they did with that thing, but it disappeared. It was worse than my poopie drawers. LOL.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#81847 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Blueminer, 3:30 am here and dog is out to the tree. We never got Castor Oil very often, but Cod Liver oil was quite regular. As for worms, we had an outhouse and Mom usually took a hoe and looked for herself. LOL Once I swallowed a dime and she retreived it and washed it off and I recycled it at the country store for a RC Cola and a Moon Pie. LOL
Oh, my!! I thought everyone was kidding with the worm stories. You guys really got worms??? Where from??? Never heard that stuff before. Where I grew up, there was only the occasional kid that got pin worms, and the moms knew because the kid itched in a certain place. Pin worms came out only at night, so moms would tape over a certain place and then examine the removed tape. But there were never worms in poop that you could see with the naked eye. OOOOOOhhhhh. I'm getting the creepy crawlies.

Location hidden

#81848 Jan 11, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Kids now days have got it made. My second cousin, the one that that used to hide in the weeds with me and laugh as our dads would casterate the pigs, had to be circumcised when he was a teen. An old country doctor, no medication and a scapel, you get the picture. LOL. It took eight grown ups to hold him down for the procedure. He said he thought he was going to die and wished he could. LOL. I bet those pigs would liked to have been watching.
OUch, ouch, ouch! You lived through some barbaric times.

Location hidden

#81849 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a Vick's salve kid. I remember the mustard plaster, but it was used for sore backs, as I recall

Location hidden

#81850 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your poison? shine, beer, Bloody Nary, Uncle Jim, Brother Jack, purple hooters, wine, or Kool-Aid ?
What's a purple hooter made of??

Location hidden

#81851 Jan 11, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Interesting. Both mud puppy and water dog are there. It says they are a brownish colored salamanders that live in rivers and ponds and can crawl on the bottom with their feet, or hold the feet against the body for swimming.
Maybe I am not so crazy after all. hehehe
When I first moved into the house here, we had some strange looking lizards that came on the deck or sunned themselves right up on the wall of our brick house. They were pretty big, and ran fast, up on their legs when they ran. A neighbor called them "dragons" but did not know what the real name was. Haven't seen them here in the last 10 years, but I wonder if anybody knows what I am talking about.

Location hidden

#81852 Jan 11, 2013
Good almost afternoon. Where is everybody? Probably out enjoying the beautiful day. I think I may do that too. Talk to you later.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81853 Jan 11, 2013
Country folk quite often got intestinal parasites or worms mainly from untreated drinking water and were more prevalent in children. Pin worms are visible in bowel movements and generally only came out at night when the child is less active, but that is/was not always the case. The tape on the hiney was simply a removal, but not a cure.

For more info you may Google pin worms or tape worms. There was a little purple pill with an extremely bad taste similar to the "Walko" tablets they added to the chicken water. But those cost money and home remedies of turpentine, kerosene (coal oil), moonshine, and whiskey were used and added to sugar or sorghum molasses to make it more tasty. No kidding.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81855 Jan 11, 2013
One must be able to absorb said knowledge as well as read it and realize that the life stages of an "Aunt" only begins when a neice is born. Thus far, Google is free and does not collect dust and offers immediate results without thumbing through volumes of material. Sorry, no sale.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#81856 Jan 11, 2013
Oglala wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a purple hooter made of??
Crown Royal and Raz-ma-taz (Cinnamon Schnapps) and blended ice. Usually served in a shot glass.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 10 min John 19
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 14 min Tara baker 48
Police beatings? 57 min Betty 1
Sam Watts MUST GO! (Sep '12) 1 hr Good ol boy 57
Indictments 1 hr Tough 31
McDonald's girls (Jan '14) 3 hr Mcbeatdown 6
who will you vote for as jailer 3 hr you know 81
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 5 hr Inside 6
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. Fri Curiouswonderer 4
Barbourville Dating