Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,772

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80471 Jan 2, 2013
If your cast iron skillets and pots build up residue, you can throw them into an open flame and burn all that stuff off. Much like a self-cleaning oven.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80472 Jan 2, 2013
I would never use salt on anything wooden, but it does not hurt cast iron if mixed with grease. Years ago when I worked in fast food, the grills were even cleaned with salt and grease.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80473 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I would never use salt on anything wooden, but it does not hurt cast iron if mixed with grease. Years ago when I worked in fast food, the grills were even cleaned with salt and grease.
Cast is not supposed to be used in restaurants anymore because laws state soap or detergent must be used to clean all cooking utensils and it defeats the purpose, but I see it's still done where the health inspectors do not frequent. Yes I've seen the salt used and host of other items but on a molecular level salt can seep into the pan such as it does into sidewalks when melting snow, the harm is done inside and slowly but it's done. Lard and Salt mix was used a lot, but so was ddt and asbestos, lol. Anyway, use them cast skillets people and if you cook too much, call me.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#80474 Jan 2, 2013
Mr. Scruff, you have sinned, you salt sinner. From this day forward you may not even think about touching chef Humpaburns cast iron cookware. It might be acceptable in fast food joints, but not in Humpaburns kitchen.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80475 Jan 2, 2013
Well I have been using the salt and grease mix for nearly 50 years and it has not killed me or my skillets yet LOL I did not really work in fast food, back in the day it was known as "The Greasy Spoon" LOL

You folks have a good day, I have chores to do.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80476 Jan 2, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Mr. Scruff, you have sinned, you salt sinner. From this day forward you may not even think about touching chef Humpaburns cast iron cookware. It might be acceptable in fast food joints, but not in Humpaburns kitchen.
Good Morning Una, I don't plan to be in Hemp's kitchen. You know the old adage "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth" LOL
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80478 Jan 2, 2013
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
Mr. Scruff, you have sinned, you salt sinner. From this day forward you may not even think about touching chef Humpaburns cast iron cookware. It might be acceptable in fast food joints, but not in Humpaburns kitchen.
I KNEW eventally you'd say something wise, the odds were there all along. One cannot argue with the success of an object being in use for 133 years, lol.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#80479 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Una, I don't plan to be in Hemp's kitchen. You know the old adage "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth" LOL
So true. LOL.

Humpaburn, what is the perfect humping temperature of cast iron cookware?

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80480 Jan 2, 2013
I've used salt before, but it's not something I do regularly. I keep mine so seasoned and smooth that you can just about fry an egg with no grease in the pan.

Whenever they get something stuck to them, which is very rare, I'll use a plastic dish "scrubber" to remove the stuck on food and then season it with fatback or lard, afterward just wiping it off to where there is still a shimmer of grease left behind. And you NEVER let one sit wet...

I have had to use sand/dirt on my skillet that goes camping with us though. Not something I like to do, but when your resources are limited you gotta do what you gotta do... And yes, I've also thrown them in a fire outside sometimes when the buildup on the outside of the pans become too grimy.

But one thing is certain, it appears we're ALL in agreement here that there's nothing like a good old fashion, American made, cast iron skillet! Particularly for frying chicken! Even when you find one in an antique store, they'll cost you as much if not more than these new fangled pots and pans that won't even last you two years with normal use...
:)
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80481 Jan 2, 2013
I have dropped back to say that salt has been around for centuries, but one has no idea what chemicals are in detergents. My skillets are not 133 years old, but they are at least a 100. The number one content in soap making is grease or lard.

I just brought in my firewood and had left Topix up while doing that chore and I am taking it down now. Good Day everyone.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#80482 Jan 2, 2013
Good morning bird people. It's cold, but the birds don't mind. lol
concerned

Shepherdsville, KY

#80483 Jan 2, 2013
I was wondering has any else notice the strange loud roaring noise? I have talked to some people in the area who has also heard this- this is in Bullitt Co. It's not a plane or anything like that. And what is really weird after it does this for a few weeks it's followed by a low flying helicopter. Has anyone else noticed this.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80484 Jan 2, 2013
concerned wrote:
I was wondering has any else notice the strange loud roaring noise? I have talked to some people in the area who has also heard this- this is in Bullitt Co. It's not a plane or anything like that. And what is really weird after it does this for a few weeks it's followed by a low flying helicopter. Has anyone else noticed this.
Hmmm. That's thought provoking. Have you tried to drive around to zero in on where it might be coming from? Is it a constant noise, or intermittent? Does the noise stop completely before you see or hear the helicopter come around? And I already know taht this is going to sound pretty stupid, but I have a reason of asking: Have you put your ear to the ground to see if you can detect any of the same noises coming from underground??

I'd like to hear more about this if you'd care to share it with us....

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80485 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I have dropped back to say that salt has been around for centuries, but one has no idea what chemicals are in detergents. My skillets are not 133 years old, but they are at least a 100. The number one content in soap making is grease or lard.
I just brought in my firewood and had left Topix up while doing that chore and I am taking it down now. Good Day everyone.
Please come on back later. I really love reading your stories, as do the rest of us! You have so much to offer in the way of the "old" times. What I don't remember from my own childhood, you have taught me via this thread.......
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80486 Jan 2, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
I've used salt before, but it's not something I do regularly. I keep mine so seasoned and smooth that you can just about fry an egg with no grease in the pan.
Whenever they get something stuck to them, which is very rare, I'll use a plastic dish "scrubber" to remove the stuck on food and then season it with fatback or lard, afterward just wiping it off to where there is still a shimmer of grease left behind. And you NEVER let one sit wet...
I have had to use sand/dirt on my skillet that goes camping with us though. Not something I like to do, but when your resources are limited you gotta do what you gotta do... And yes, I've also thrown them in a fire outside sometimes when the buildup on the outside of the pans become too grimy.
But one thing is certain, it appears we're ALL in agreement here that there's nothing like a good old fashion, American made, cast iron skillet! Particularly for frying chicken! Even when you find one in an antique store, they'll cost you as much if not more than these new fangled pots and pans that won't even last you two years with normal use...
:)
You got to do what you got to do, lol. I have a lot of Calphalon, and it does well for most parts, but for cornbread my cast comes out to play.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#80487 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I have dropped back to say that salt has been around for centuries, but one has no idea what chemicals are in detergents. My skillets are not 133 years old, but they are at least a 100. The number one content in soap making is grease or lard.
I just brought in my firewood and had left Topix up while doing that chore and I am taking it down now. Good Day everyone.
Your system seems to work well for you, so keep the eggs fryin. I've made soap from lard and lye just for the heck of it. One of my grandmothers made it all the time and her hands looked great at 98 years old. Lye is some wicked stuff though on it's own.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80488 Jan 2, 2013
My other Grandma had a huge cast iron skillet that was SO grimy on the outside that it was bumpy and rough. Even a dry dish towel would hang up on it and get snagged, lol. But I bet that pan could have burned even milk gravy and it'd not have stuck to it.

I don't know what ever happened to that particular cast iron skillet when she passed away. I was living out of state at the time. I only hope that whoever in the family got it, they know exactly what they inherited and they cherish it, hehe!!

She made us many a fried chicken and pork chop dinners in that thing. Fried rabbit and squirrel too. That pan sat on her stove 24/7. Seems like there was always something cooking in it when we went over to visit. I doubt that skillet ever had time to completely cool off..
:)

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#80489 Jan 2, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok call me a nerd but I think that is so cool.:) I can just imagine your great grandmother using that skillet. I have a couple of those old Morgan Silver Dollars from about 1880. I look at those things and my imagination starts running wild wondering where all those things have been, who had them, how hard they had to work to get them, what they spent them on, and on and on. I love that kind of thing. That kind of makes history come to life!
I love old things just as well. My grandfather gave me quite a few Morgan silver dollars from that era. He died in 1955, when I was only 3 years old, but I can recall vividly the day that he gave them to me. I also have a newspaper from about 1897. I found it most interesting. There was a short story, and advertising for products to "cure anything that ails you." I also recall reading in that paper about one of our presidents getting stuck in the bath tub because he was so large. I will have to drag out that old paper because I can't remember if it was a sitting president or one that was out of office. For some reason, I think it was Grover Cleveland, but I would have to check it to be sure, as well as the exact date of the newspaper. Because the paper is so fragile with age, I have it wrapped in tons of plastic wrap and placed at the bottom of my cedar chest. But now I'm curious about it, so I'll take a stroll down memory lane.

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80491 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
salt and grease, especially in one you dont want to stick for frying eggs etc. You can even wash them if you use the salt and grease afterwards, then wipe clean.
As for History, I have my great grandfather's smoking pipe and his wife's little wire rim glasses, a hand made walking cane made from a briar vine, my mother's old cast irons she heated on top of the wood stove, my dad's fireplace popcorn popper, his old cross cut saw, grndpappy's horse hames, my grandmother's kerosene lamp, and the white metal dipper that hung out by the spring house.
All those items decorate my outside back wall that is finished in barn lumber that was removed from my uncles's old barn. I like to look at all that stuff and UNA even laughed at me for getting a little tobacco and trying to smoke my great grandfather's pipe while looking up on the hill and trying to think about him up there following a team of mules somewhere around the time of the Civil War. The pipe tobacco was too strong to inhale so I just puffed enough to get the aroma to add to my nostalgic thoughts. LOL
...and I thought me and Nope were a little crazy for our obsession over cast iron! Y'all crack me up! hahahahaha I figured we would catch a hard time like we did from "Legion" over our "useless banter." lol
Oh I agree about your collection and believe it or not I think I have all of those things except the popcorn popper! I love old things like that ESPECIALLY when it came from a family member. We have a cast iron 'doodad' used for repairing shoes too. It's called a "shoe last" I think. It belonged to my dad's parents. I got a cool kerosene lantern from that side of the family too. Dang, talking about all this stuff is making me want to go dig it all out and shine it up! lol ...well grease it up. lol I think I will and fix me up a place for it like you have yours.
I don't think you're crazy at all for firing up your grandfather's old pipe and trying to imagine him behind that team of horses.:) Another thing that gets me going is old houses and other buildings, and old barns!!! I can look at something like that and just wonder about the people who lived there, maybe some conversation they might have had, the things they struggled with in their life. It just kills me to see an old building of any kind torn down for no reason other than what some call "progress." I remember you talking about buying your family's homeplace. That is a wonderful thing to me.:)
...Now that I think about it, I do recall a popcorn popper being here, somewhere. I don't think I would take a million dollars for all this stuff that a lot of people would call junk.:)

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80492 Jan 2, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
If your cast iron skillets and pots build up residue, you can throw them into an open flame and burn all that stuff off. Much like a self-cleaning oven.
I've got a cast iron skillet somewhere that is totally rusted up. I rescued it from going to the dump! lol I have scrubbed on it but didn't have much luck in cleaning it up. I think the fire will be the next step. I hope that works on rust.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pnc 49 min the worst 13
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 57 min RickyBobby 133,213
Where is Mark Blanton (Sep '10) 1 hr sexy girl 2
Dalon trent 6 hr mag 1
dinky phipps 7 hr shamed 25
To the Garland family 7 hr herman 15
any girls in barbourville strip 7 hr gator 3
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster
Yahoo! Sports 9:39 AM
Dalton to replace Rodgers for Pro Bowl
NFL10:12 AM
Andy Dalton added to Pro Bowl roster
NBC Sports12:57 PM
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton headed to his 2nd Pro Bowl
NBC Sports 3:15 AM
Marvin Lewis on Andy Dalton: We don't have time to waste on QB competition