Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,704

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80344 Jan 1, 2013
Oh yes, I for one am very happy to be a hick from Kentucky! lol Big cities are okay to visit but I sure wouldn't want to live there!

Ohhh I am watching a report on NBC news channel, San Antonio teachers being trained to take down another person (shooter or whoever). Totally cool! LOL I sure wouldn't want one of those little teachers after me! lol I hope y'all get to see that report.:) We have some folks around here teaching self defense and marksmanship classes. I'm thinking about taking some classes. I've got too soft and out of shape in my old age. It would be fun for sure, to pay somebody to let me beat the crap out of them. LOL
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#80345 Jan 1, 2013
Good afternoon bird threaders. Is everyone sleeping in late today or what? And who is the scrooge with all the mean icons over a simple HAPPY NEW YEAR. Jeeze, what a sad soul.

I was watching the New York festivities when I was kidnapped by my best friends to go see the fireworks. Car was warm and toasty, bundled up, got a glass of bubbly and really enjoyed it. Got home and had missed everyone on here so watched the Cops of Sturgis until I fell asleep.

I am not sure how I feel about teachers being armed. Might end up being a disaster. I think they should install metal detectors at the front door, hire off duty police like some do already. It is sad to even think about. What a day we live in now huh? Kid can't even go to school without worrying about their safety.

I hope you all have a great day. Gloomy day out, mild temps, but at least no rain, sleet, or snow.
hellhole

Richmond, KY

#80346 Jan 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You failed to mention the numerous rats that scurry along at night coming up out of the subways, the storefront hookers, the open display of sexual material, the inability of a male to walk along (even with his wife) without being propositioned, or the hell holes of the world called "Grand Central Station" or 42nd street, and runaway children laying in the doorways. You bet I am Thankful to not have to go there to work anymore, including Philadelphia and Chicago which are not quite as degenerate, but close.
Christ frequently consorted with beggars, prostitutes, orphaned children and when He returns He will likely pay a visit to the 'hell holes' first.

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80347 Jan 1, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Santa brought me a new 20 gauge shotgun for Christmas, among with an assortment of other 'needful' accessories to go along with it. I might make some noise of my own out there if I hear trespassers or the likes getting too close for comfort.. For not having any neighbors close by, we've had some very strange things going on around here. Odd noises and occasional gunfire off in the hills, etc...
Hey Nope, did you fire that cannon off???:) I can't believe I have never heard of this tradition until this year. I think I have been too dang sheltered in my life! lol All that shooting and I have missed out on it.:( I was "in town" last night and heard SEVERAL gunshots going off. First I heard a few fireworks then I heard a BOOM and I told the sweetie that was not fireworks, it was a shotgun! He agreed. I said you have got to be kidding me and as I said that I hear more shots that were not a shotgun. He said nope, that sounded like high powered pistols. I said, "That crap has got to come down somewhere!!!" He suggested that it might he a good time to be IN the house. LOL The popo was turning onto our street as I was pulling out. lol
If the government ever does plan on taking our guns I think they better start somewhere else and put Kentucky way on down on their list of things to do. LOL

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80348 Jan 1, 2013
Didn't sleep in here. Woke up feeling like a million bucks!

Hope everyone had a great time last night no matter what you got into.

Today is very quiet outside for some reason. No birds singing and even the chickens are acting subdued. Wonder what's up with that? Anyone else seeing or noticing this around where you live?
hellhole

Richmond, KY

#80349 Jan 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about teachers being armed. Might end up being a disaster.
Armed teachers would have avoided disasters like Columbine and Sandy Hook.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80350 Jan 1, 2013
Big apple wrote:
<quoted text>
it's those danged bad apples again...what do you think we should do with them?
Distance ourselves as far away from them as possible, lest we rot too. I have a got start on it.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80351 Jan 1, 2013
hellhole wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ frequently consorted with beggars, prostitutes, orphaned children and when He returns He will likely pay a visit to the 'hell holes' first.
This is very true but we do not have his POWER, so we are advised to "shun the very appearance of Evil".

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80352 Jan 1, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Nope, did you fire that cannon off???:) I can't believe I have never heard of this tradition until this year. I think I have been too dang sheltered in my life! lol All that shooting and I have missed out on it.:( I was "in town" last night and heard SEVERAL gunshots going off. First I heard a few fireworks then I heard a BOOM and I told the sweetie that was not fireworks, it was a shotgun! He agreed. I said you have got to be kidding me and as I said that I hear more shots that were not a shotgun. He said nope, that sounded like high powered pistols. I said, "That crap has got to come down somewhere!!!" He suggested that it might he a good time to be IN the house. LOL The popo was turning onto our street as I was pulling out. lol
If the government ever does plan on taking our guns I think they better start somewhere else and put Kentucky way on down on their list of things to do. LOL
LOL! Nope, I was in bed way before midnight. After we snacked on treats I'd made, it was hard to stay awake. The Twilight marathon was great though.

And it was apparently very quiet around the woods here too. Didn't even hear nary a peep out of those foolish yokels way down in the holler either, hehe!

If I HAD gone out and shot my new baby off, by the time the PoPo found their way out here, they'd have no clue where the noise might have come from, plus it's no illegal to shoot out where i am anyway. We're too far out in the boonies for them to even care, really. I love living way out here in the woods...

You all did well to go indoors. Some people don't have sense enough to evem OWN a gun, let alone know that shooting straight up into the sky causes ammo to fall somewhere. Be it someones head or their roof.

A few years back there was a woman who had her eye put out because a stray falling bullet hit her as she was watching fireworks. A man was also killed that same night in another city when a stray shot came down and got him in the head... I think ballistics showed where that shot came from but I don't recall if they were ever able to prosecute anyone for it or not. Proving WHO shot the weapon might have been an issue. I just don't remember right off hand.

When I go outside to shoot, I know where I can safely have fun without hurting anyone else. Got a few acres of nothing but woods and also know better than to ever shoot upward. What goes up, eventually has to come back down...
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#80353 Jan 1, 2013
hellhole wrote:
<quoted text>
Armed teachers would have avoided disasters like Columbine and Sandy Hook.
Or created more!!!

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80354 Jan 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
I am not sure how I feel about teachers being armed. Might end up being a disaster. I think they should install metal detectors at the front door, hire off duty police like some do already. It is sad to even think about. What a day we live in now huh? Kid can't even go to school without worrying about their safety.
Hi AB. I'm glad your friends thought of you.:)
I think that if a teacher goes through the training to be qualified to carry a concealed weapon they should be able to carry in schools also. I do think that maybe they would need some EXTRA training and EXTRA screening considering they would be carrying around kids. I believe that in a lot of the cases fewer lives would have been lost had somebody been prepared to take the shooters out. Another thing, if a school (or other place) is a "gun free zone" that is just an open invitation for some nut to come in and murder helpless people. They don't need to know who else is carrying a gun or where they might run into them. That is just my opinion.
Those teachers in San Antonio were learning hand to hand combat, not how to shoot.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80355 Jan 1, 2013
*Twilight ZONE marathon.

(I'm not a "Twilight" movie series junkie. Vampire teenagers ain't my thang)...

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80356 Jan 1, 2013
hellhole wrote:
<quoted text>
Armed teachers would have avoided disasters like Columbine and Sandy Hook.
Likely.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80357 Jan 1, 2013
Hempburn wrote:
May the new year unfold for you joy and peace and a coffee cup never empty.
Thanks Hemp. You too! I'm particularly fond of the coffee cup portion of your comment.
(I'm loving this new coffee pot of mine, hehe)

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#80358 Jan 1, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi AB. I'm glad your friends thought of you.:)
I think that if a teacher goes through the training to be qualified to carry a concealed weapon they should be able to carry in schools also. I do think that maybe they would need some EXTRA training and EXTRA screening considering they would be carrying around kids. I believe that in a lot of the cases fewer lives would have been lost had somebody been prepared to take the shooters out. Another thing, if a school (or other place) is a "gun free zone" that is just an open invitation for some nut to come in and murder helpless people. They don't need to know who else is carrying a gun or where they might run into them. That is just my opinion.
Those teachers in San Antonio were learning hand to hand combat, not how to shoot.
My theory is that if they truly want to make America a weapon restricted country, then perhaps out of safety concerns for our President, maybe the White House ought to be "gun free" for starters.... Ya think? Could be a day where some government official might go wacko in there too one day.... Just something to ponder on....
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#80359 Jan 1, 2013
West KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi AB. I'm glad your friends thought of you.:)
I think that if a teacher goes through the training to be qualified to carry a concealed weapon they should be able to carry in schools also. I do think that maybe they would need some EXTRA training and EXTRA screening considering they would be carrying around kids. I believe that in a lot of the cases fewer lives would have been lost had somebody been prepared to take the shooters out. Another thing, if a school (or other place) is a "gun free zone" that is just an open invitation for some nut to come in and murder helpless people. They don't need to know who else is carrying a gun or where they might run into them. That is just my opinion.
Those teachers in San Antonio were learning hand to hand combat, not how to shoot.
I was too since they would not take NO for an answer. They were slightly toasted but had a DD. Bundled up and even took my blanket and really enjoyed it. Had my one glass of bubbly to toast the year in. Quite tasty. If I hadn't been on meds I might of had 2 or 3 glasses. lol

All that training would be good for them, but where would they keep them locked up, in their desk? The students shouldn't be subjected to armed teachers. I think there is a better way to confront the problem when you think of how many schools are out there. The threat could come from inside the school with the weapons available to them from their teachers. I don't think it would work. School security shouldn't lay on the teachers. Hire some, put in detectors, and let the teachers TEACH. JMO
Power

Richmond, KY

#80360 Jan 1, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very true but we do not have his POWER, so we are advised to "shun the very appearance of Evil".
Christ tried to be an example to show us we have the POWER in us to be like Him.
"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
Luke 17:21
I disagree

Richmond, KY

#80361 Jan 1, 2013
Abeliever wrote:
<quoted text>
Or created more!!!
when good people are armed, the bad people will think twice before going on a rampage. When good people are unarmed, the bad people have free reign to do as they please. Bad people don't obey gun laws. Do you believe in our second amendment rights or do you favor gun control/confiscation?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#80362 Jan 1, 2013
Power wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ tried to be an example to show us we have the POWER in us to be like Him.
"Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."
Luke 17:21
but read onward to verse 23 when Christ says : "And they shall say unto you, See here; or see there; Go not after them or follow them.

Since: Dec 12

Oak Park, IL

#80363 Jan 1, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! Nope, I was in bed way before midnight. After we snacked on treats I'd made, it was hard to stay awake. The Twilight marathon was great though.
And it was apparently very quiet around the woods here too. Didn't even hear nary a peep out of those foolish yokels way down in the holler either, hehe!
If I HAD gone out and shot my new baby off, by the time the PoPo found their way out here, they'd have no clue where the noise might have come from, plus it's no illegal to shoot out where i am anyway. We're too far out in the boonies for them to even care, really. I love living way out here in the woods...
You all did well to go indoors. Some people don't have sense enough to evem OWN a gun, let alone know that shooting straight up into the sky causes ammo to fall somewhere. Be it someones head or their roof.
A few years back there was a woman who had her eye put out because a stray falling bullet hit her as she was watching fireworks. A man was also killed that same night in another city when a stray shot came down and got him in the head... I think ballistics showed where that shot came from but I don't recall if they were ever able to prosecute anyone for it or not. Proving WHO shot the weapon might have been an issue. I just don't remember right off hand.
When I go outside to shoot, I know where I can safely have fun without hurting anyone else. Got a few acres of nothing but woods and also know better than to ever shoot upward. What goes up, eventually has to come back down...
I doubt it but I hope those people were shooting into the ground instead of up. That is really dumb to shoot a high powered gun in the air. I remember seeing Sadam Housein and those nuts firing rifles in the air and wondering how many people were killed or injured! They seem to like to do that A LOT in the Middle East area. I've been hit by buckshot from a shot gun. It was pretty far away but it still stung a little bit - enough for me to get the heck out of the area pretty quick! lol It's legal for us to shoot here where I live too and plenty of it goes on!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 15 min beeraholic 49
Jenny Mills 42 min Really 5
kenitha tried 50 min The ex 9
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr spaceship 131,570
Quantummist real name is Paul Mays 1 hr John 4
Devin Eubanks in Jail 1 hr James 9
info on David Warren (Sep '12) 2 hr anonymous 25
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:53 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:53PM
'Good Andy' Beats Texans, Don't Count on Playoff Run
Bleacher Report 3:55 PM
Grading Houston's Positional Units in Week 12
Bleacher Report 4:56 PM
Start Bernard or Hill in Week 13?
NFL 6:38 PM
Texans' Ryan Mallett might have torn right pectoral
ESPN 7:14 PM
Source: Texans' Mallet played with pec injury