Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,726

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#78114 Dec 14, 2012
The Geminids meteor shower did not dissapoint, there was well over a hundred per hour between midnight and one am. Unfortunatly, ol Hempy fell asleep in that warm sleeping bag and woke up about five am. The meteor shower had slowed to about 45 per hour so I abandoned the adventure about 6 am. Now I remember how it feels to wake up all stuffy nosed and drug out from camping out, lol. But it was worth it, and it makes my morning jave all the better.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#78115 Dec 14, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true too.:) Do any of y'all know what kind of apples the old folks used for cooking, sweet apples or sour Granny Smiths?
Tart apples, the best are Jona Gold but good luck in getting them, they are scoffed up so fast they are usually gone early in the season by big companies like marie collander and hostess. Granny Smith and young gala will do fine too.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#78116 Dec 14, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
The Geminids meteor shower did not dissapoint, there was well over a hundred per hour between midnight and one am. Unfortunatly, ol Hempy fell asleep in that warm sleeping bag and woke up about five am. The meteor shower had slowed to about 45 per hour so I abandoned the adventure about 6 am. Now I remember how it feels to wake up all stuffy nosed and drug out from camping out, lol. But it was worth it, and it makes my morning jave all the better.
I went outside about 1:00 A.M., and saw a few, but it was so cold that Stein and I went back in and went to sleep. Coffee is good any morning. Can't wake up without it.
trusted

Morgantown, KY

#78117 Dec 14, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
I saw something as I was driving last night. Only thought it was a falling star. Dummy me wished on it , oh well, guess I could have alot of wishes , had I been watching. lol It was neat though...
W KY Girl

Saint Charles, IL

#78119 Dec 14, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Tart apples, the best are Jona Gold but good luck in getting them, they are scoffed up so fast they are usually gone early in the season by big companies like marie collander and hostess. Granny Smith and young gala will do fine too.
Well Hostess won't be needing them anymore. I love Granny Smiths!
Dang I saw a few of those shooting stars but I guess I gave up too soon.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#78126 Dec 14, 2012
Oglala wrote:
6.4 followed by 6.1 shallow depth earthquakes near Avalon California. "Whole lotta shakin'goin'on." It's just dang cold in this neck of the woods. Good morning, Everyone.
Good morning. Hope you are doing well on this fine day. It's ok to throw in magnapoots, if you like. Lol.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#78127 Dec 14, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
Ancient Wolf, do you do much cooking on your wood stove?
Not much, but some. It will be good if we have a power outtage. MY internet has been down for the last 24 hours.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#78128 Dec 14, 2012
Another morning, watching the birds.
Dana

Ashland, KY

#78129 Dec 14, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
If you have an Amish or Mennonite store around check with them on the apples. They should have some or be able to get you some.:)
Thanks. We do have one in town. I will call them to day.
I think I have seen dried apples in a box, like the ones raisins come in.
Is it OK to use apple butter if can't find dried apples?

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#78130 Dec 14, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Another morning, watching the birds.
I'm going to go out after while to see if the birds are out. I was out early to let the dogs pee. I didn't notice any birds. Ol' kitty tom jumps up on the porch rail demanding 100% of my attention. If he doesn't get full attention he reminds me with claws to the chest. Lol.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#78131 Dec 14, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
That is true too.:) Do any of y'all know what kind of apples the old folks used for cooking, sweet apples or sour Granny Smiths?
It did not matter, we used whatever was on the trees, from Graany Smiths to the yellow June apples.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#78132 Dec 14, 2012
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
Apple butter works just fine.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#78133 Dec 14, 2012
I like to make individual serving size of hot fried apple pies using apple butter and the canned yeast rolls and a dip of vanilla ice cream.
hide and seek

Campton, KY

#78134 Dec 14, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I like to make individual serving size of hot fried apple pies using apple butter and the canned yeast rolls and a dip of vanilla ice cream.
man a live that sounds good yummy
W KY Girl

United States

#78135 Dec 14, 2012
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure about the apple butter. You might end up creating something new but I bet it would be good.:) I bet the Amish or Mennonites can find you some. Good luck.:)
W KY Girl

United States

#78136 Dec 14, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
That does sound good. My mom use to make fried pies. She would make me one with a bunch of butter and cocoa in it. Oh gosh, you cut into that thing and all that hot butter and chocolate oozes out, so good - a chocolate high I'm telling you! LOL I never thought about ice cream. No doubt that would meet the daily quota in calories. lol I need to make her some fried apple pies.
W KY Girl

United States

#78137 Dec 14, 2012
trusted wrote:
<quoted text> I saw something as I was driving last night. Only thought it was a falling star. Dummy me wished on it , oh well, guess I could have alot of wishes , had I been watching. lol It was neat though...
I went out from about 11:30 until 12:00 and saw a few. I didn't know you could see so many more stars with just binoculars! It was really pretty out last night. Hope you get your wish!:)
W KY Girl

United States

#78138 Dec 14, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much, but some. It will be good if we have a power outtage. MY internet has been down for the last 24 hours.
I'm glad your internet is back! Oh yes, you would have it made in a power outage, warm and fed. Was the ice storm bad where you live?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#78139 Dec 14, 2012
W KY Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad your internet is back! Oh yes, you would have it made in a power outage, warm and fed. Was the ice storm bad where you live?
Lots of people said it was. LOL But I don't remember it being nearly as bad as the winter of '77-'78. I am going out today to see if I can find my great-grandfather's grave. He served in the Civil War.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#78140 Dec 14, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning. Hope you are doing well on this fine day. It's ok to throw in magnapoots, if you like. Lol.
Good afternoon to you. I'm just fine and dandy today. Hope that your day is going as well. BTW, I guess that I was right about you. You have a kind heart beating underneath that rough,gruff, and irreverant exterior. There's no need to hide it. I'm glad that you joined the conversation. You're really quite clever and funny when you want to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
county line 229 burglar 29 min editor 12
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 51 min spaceship 132,145
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 1 hr A funny fact 12
praying it's all a lie 2 hr Mr who 4
does any body know danny butler (Sep '08) 3 hr elsa 7
kids free glasses and hearing checked 3 hr shame on u 15
fire station or not 4 hr unkel 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 15 hr dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:45 am PST

NFL10:45AM
One Preview: Steelers could ride 'Triplets' to division title
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports12:17 PM
Jurrell Casey won't go to Pro Bowl as an alternate
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"