Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,705

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#76205 Dec 1, 2012
Well, it's another long day and didn't get to see any of my little birds.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#76208 Dec 1, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Well, it's another long day and didn't get to see any of my little birds.
I saw a few birds today.
Easterngirl

Columbus, OH

#76209 Dec 1, 2012
my gosh! how old are these people on here?
Imposter

London, KY

#76210 Dec 1, 2012
Just heard a big boom in eastern ky, loud enough to wake me up.
Imposter

London, KY

#76211 Dec 1, 2012
Easterngirl wrote:
my gosh! how old are these people on here?
eighteen to eighty, blind crippled or crazy....we don't cull no one baby.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#76214 Dec 1, 2012
Raven wrote:
That moon has returned as full as ever tonight. I read somewhere that the brightest shining object in the sky right now is Jupiter. I know, it's nice to see a starry filled sky. Shopping has been under way about two weeks now. I'm not complaint. I delight in giving as much as receiving. Kindness does the Soul Good.
I agree that acts of kindness are good for the soul, but much of the Holiday gift giving has just become a level of frustration for both the giver and the receiver and the focus is more on the gift than the heart felt intent.

When it becomes nothing more than what will I get for ol' Aunt Snooty? The meaning has been lost. If you have gone out of your way to ignore Aunt Snooty all year long, then any gift appears to be nothing more than one trying to ease their own conscience or drag out some nostalgia when Aunt Snooty was not so snooty.

I find that the act of kindness that is most good for the soul is an act that one might do for a total stranger that one may never see again and costs nothing. Try smiling and saying something to that cashier like "you hair looks nice". That would mean more to them than a box of chocolates bought just because it is time to fulfill some obligation.
Imposter

London, KY

#76215 Dec 1, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that acts of kindness are good for the soul, but much of the Holiday gift giving has just become a level of frustration for both the giver and the receiver and the focus is more on the gift than the heart felt intent.
When it becomes nothing more than what will I get for ol' Aunt Snooty? The meaning has been lost. If you have gone out of your way to ignore Aunt Snooty all year long, then any gift appears to be nothing more than one trying to ease their own conscience or drag out some nostalgia when Aunt Snooty was not so snooty.
I find that the act of kindness that is most good for the soul is an act that one might do for a total stranger that one may never see again and costs nothing. Try smiling and saying something to that cashier like "you hair looks nice". That would mean more to them than a box of chocolates bought just because it is time to fulfill some obligation.
True. I also think a little laughter goes a long way.
On another note... I don't mean to be so mean to abeliever, sometimes I do get carried away. But she herself has admitted that I have made her laugh. I hope I've made her laugh more than frown (Because I bet her frown could curdle fresh sweet milk hahaha).

Did you hear a couple of big loud booms just now? The first one almost shook me out of bed.
What

Whitley City, KY

#76216 Dec 1, 2012
Jacko wrote:
When is this thread gonna die off, my gawd stop beating the dead horse already..
For each new post I think I'm going to shoot a bird with my BB gun!
Imposter

London, KY

#76217 Dec 1, 2012
What wrote:
<quoted text>
For each new post I think I'm going to shoot a bird with my BB gun!
Go for it pal. Heck, kill two for every post. God will deal with you and the rest of us soon enough anyway.
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#76220 Dec 2, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly what I mean. But with the crazy traffic, wild shopping cart drivers, and very rude people showing their "true colors" while they're out , I find being polite and holding doors and just being pleasantly spoken to be the best gesture. As far as gifts go, my family gets the things they need after savings throughout the year: new coats, flannel shirts, the bottle of perfume I can't afford myself but Honey likes to give me nice things. Ten years ago we couldn't keep a vehicle running more or less, couldn't afford insurance for it and barely had food on the table. We persevered. I just find some people get really mean and spiteful this time of year. And that's in spite of all that money they spend. Change begins within ourselves and no amount of gift giving makes a world of difference:)
Raven

Fort Gay, WV

#76221 Dec 2, 2012
My nine year old helped the cashier has more respect and feeling than most adults. If we just look at the children, maybe we'll learn life's true lesson: it's not the material things that count, Love and Compassion are Life's guides.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#76222 Dec 2, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like somebody conscience is working overtime.Giving a little time and a listening ear is the best gift you can give anyone. Like we always said money isn't everything.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#76226 Dec 2, 2012
Leaving the Light On wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like somebody conscience is working overtime.Giving a little time and a listening ear is the best gift you can give anyone. Like we always said money isn't everything.
Money isn't everything, but it sure is lonesome without it.
XXXXXXX

Chicago, IL

#76229 Dec 2, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I find that the act of kindness that is most good for the soul is an act that one might do for a total stranger that one may never see again and costs nothing. Try smiling and saying something to that cashier like "you hair looks nice". That would mean more to them than a box of chocolates bought just because it is time to fulfill some obligation.
I like to help strangers that really need it. When I run across somebody that needs help I wonder if God didn't set the situation up just as a test for me to see where my heart is and if I'm going to do the right thing. When I do help somebody I don't think it makes them feel any better than it does me. I don't know, maybe something is wrong with me because it makes me feel so good doing those things. Maybe the wrong motive? The other day I saw this young woman leaving the local food bank. She was walking, had a kid (about five) on a bicycle with her. She was having a time trying to drag all three (bag of groceries, kid and bicycle) down the street, a very busy street at that. Any other time I would have stopped and gave her a ride home but that day I absolutely didn't have time.
If I was a millionaire I would give a whole lot of people jobs helping other people, especially helping elderly people. One thing I would do would be post teenagers at the grocery stores to help the elderly people with their shopping - loading and unloading groceries and even follow them home to help them there to get their groceries in and put up. I would also have a feeding program for elderly people - deliver them a really good meal every day, enough for leftovers for a second meal - and really good food too! Also help them with chores around their house, including mow their yard. Yep, those people's family should be doing all of that but most don't and that really bothers me.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#76231 Dec 2, 2012
XXXXXXX wrote:
<quoted text>
I like to help strangers that really need it. When I run across somebody that needs help I wonder if God didn't set the situation up just as a test for me to see where my heart is and if I'm going to do the right thing. When I do help somebody I don't think it makes them feel any better than it does me. I don't know, maybe something is wrong with me because it makes me feel so good doing those things. Maybe the wrong motive? The other day I saw this young woman leaving the local food bank. She was walking, had a kid (about five) on a bicycle with her. She was having a time trying to drag all three (bag of groceries, kid and bicycle) down the street, a very busy street at that. Any other time I would have stopped and gave her a ride home but that day I absolutely didn't have time.
If I was a millionaire I would give a whole lot of people jobs helping other people, especially helping elderly people. One thing I would do would be post teenagers at the grocery stores to help the elderly people with their shopping - loading and unloading groceries and even follow them home to help them there to get their groceries in and put up. I would also have a feeding program for elderly people - deliver them a really good meal every day, enough for leftovers for a second meal - and really good food too! Also help them with chores around their house, including mow their yard. Yep, those people's family should be doing all of that but most don't and that really bothers me.
Why of course you would and if a frog had wings it wouldn't wear it's hind end out hopping everywhere it goes. Not being mean, just realistic.
XXXXXXX

Chicago, IL

#76232 Dec 2, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Why of course you would and if a frog had wings it wouldn't wear it's hind end out hopping everywhere it goes. Not being mean, just realistic.
Very true. lol ...maybe someday.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#76234 Dec 2, 2012
Another fun day. Hope you all have a good one.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#76237 Dec 2, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. I remember days gone by when Christmas actually meant something. Now it is a holiday for the merchants who sell their goods to shoppers who just want to fulfill their obligations. So sad when Christmas is reduced to this level. Not only to we engage in frenzied shopping, we have to worry about buying something that is of equal monetary value to what we may receive. AW, how are those hens doing? Are they still laying or have they stopped for the winter.
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#76239 Dec 2, 2012
Good morning bird posters. Nice day out even with the wind. 71 degrees Monday, in December..got to love Kentucky's weather.

AW, you have given the ultimate gift in the deeds you have done/do..giving your time, your eggs, and kind words. Not to mention those ladies that enjoy seeing you in that Stetson.:)

Wow, Imposter...sorry I missed your niceness. Did God shake the mean out of you this morning? You know HE does work in mysterious ways. How sweet, I am touched. I know you don't hate me too much or you wouldn't give me music.

Pedro...hahaha, many laughs this morning on your posts. Thanks, I needed that. I thought the same thing about those birds. lol

Late date night so had to pass topix last night. Don't look like I missed much, except the big gaps between posts. haha Can just imagine with the posters in between. Kudos to the mods.

Coffee time and Sunday Morning show is over, got to get moving. Much to do today. Sunday brunch and a trip to the malls. Almost done with all shopping and can sit back and enjoy the holiday. Just some baking left to do after today. Love it.

Hope you all get out and enjoy the nice windy day. We are blessed compared to many. Poor Western coast is getting pounded with storms. So sad.

Birds are everywhere in my part of Kentucky. I love it.

Good day!
Abeliever

Vine Grove, KY

#76240 Dec 2, 2012
Hi lala, have a great day. Thanks for answer who "they" were. You were correct. It is what it is.

Out for the day!

"CLICK"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr they 131,618
no nickle tax knox BOE 3 hr sick of taxes 2
Mayor Darren west come get political signs 4 hr Catron resident 4
fire station or not 8 hr Citizen 3
HAppy Thanksgiving Everyone! 12 hr gator 2
how can a murderer walk the streets!!!! 19 hr john 16
Phillip Vaughn (Oct '10) Wed Loving 9
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Nov 24 beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

NFL 2:01PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts