Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,731

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#75030 Nov 16, 2012
Imposter wrote:
<quoted text>The only smoker/grill that holds the perfect 220 degree cooking temp???
Correction 225. It takes the extra 5 degrees to properly smoke fresh dog nuts, from Humpaburns vet friend. LMAO.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#75031 Nov 16, 2012
No, no, no, no,, the key temperature is 225 degrees! Holy french fried wildebeest, don't cook too low! The Green Egg, that's a sweet smoker but my cheap little Weber does a fine job at a third the price. Why I'm so poor, cooking outdoors is the only way I can afford a hot meal.
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#75032 Nov 16, 2012
The wife did get a little, put off shall I say, when asked if I wanted to go see Twilight with the group and I told her,, if I wanted to watch a bunch of sparkly dudes suck on each other, I'd go to an Elton John concert.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#75033 Nov 16, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
No, no, no, no,, the key temperature is 225 degrees! Holy french fried wildebeest, don't cook too low! The Green Egg, that's a sweet smoker but my cheap little Weber does a fine job at a third the price. Why I'm so poor, cooking outdoors is the only way I can afford a hot meal.
Truthfully Humpaburn, the wife makes you do all the cooking and she won't allow your messy drunken butt in her kitchen. I don't blame her, I wouldn't cook for you either. Go for the Green Egg though. You need it when the wifes hungry relatives show up unexpectedly and begin chewing the legs on the dining table.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#75034 Nov 16, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
The wife did get a little, put off shall I say, when asked if I wanted to go see Twilight with the group and I told her,, if I wanted to watch a bunch of sparkly dudes suck on each other, I'd go to an Elton John concert.
That's a good one. Lol.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#75035 Nov 16, 2012
The only way I've ever cooked venison and had it come out halfway edible was to soak it overnight in a half buttermilk and half salt water bath.

The next day, I poke "holes" into the roast and place half cloves of garlic into each one, then salt and pepper it, and wrap the whole roast in about a pound of hickory cured bacon. After that's all done, I lay it on some heavy duty tin foil, surround it with quartered onions, quartered taters and some nice fat carrots cut into large chunks.
(If your veggies are cut too small, they'll disintegrate as it cooks and you'll just have a veggie "mush" around your venison when it's done).

Seal it really well in the foil and bake/roast for about 3 hours at around 300-325 degrees. You don't have to baste it because the foil wrapping and the veggies along with the bacon, will do the job...

About 45 minutes before you want to take it out of the oven, turn back the foil to expose the deer meat but still keep the veggies covered so they don't toast and get scorched and turn the oven down to around 250 degrees. This will help to brown the bacon wrapping, plus it also lets some steam and liquid escape so you can use the drippings to make a gravy if you want to.

Let the roast sit on the stove uncovered for about a half hour to let the meat "rest"..

Other than venison sausage, this is about the only way I can eat deer meat. The bacon gives it some much needed fat, the veggies flavor it up, and the overnight marinade and slow cooking tenderizes it.
friend

Louisville, KY

#75036 Nov 16, 2012
heck yea
raven

Fort Gay, WV

#75037 Nov 16, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
I watched the first two parts of that saga. you'd think that Stewart girl would be "experienced" at something. And those little pansy boys on there...Well Liam Neison on Rob Roy and Richard Gere in First Knight get my thumbs up for hot, steamy scenes. LOL. I didn't see any point to the flick.
Tracker

Irvington, KY

#75038 Nov 16, 2012
Are the birds still falling???
raven

Fort Gay, WV

#75039 Nov 16, 2012
Whole Jamaican all spice berries give meat. good flavor. I began using them in my butt roasts , stews and briskest. Warms the flavor up. Also, cracked pepper seems to flavor food better. Rosemary and thyme I found are great on potatoes. All this talk about grilled food, fried meats. Now, I'm wanting barbecue pulled pork and a sweet tater casserole as dessert. Shame, shame;) Maybe some asparagus drizzled in a butter and lemon sauce. O yummy!

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#75041 Nov 16, 2012
Has the birds stopped falling???
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#75042 Nov 16, 2012
Chef Leo's ( chefleo.com ) Wild Game and Meat Rub can be bought online and the contents seem quite similar to NOPE's roast fixings. It contains garlic, chilles, Molasses, Coffee, Onion, and other spices.

They also sell a seasoning for "Camp Stew" with a recipe on the back containing 4 potatoes 4 tomatoes, 1/2 head of cabbage, an ear of corn (shaved) and a pound of smoked sausage with a teaspoon of their Camp Stew spice. I made that and it is pretty good vittles.
W KY Girl

Oswego, IL

#75043 Nov 16, 2012
The last time I cooked deer, I cut the meat all off the bone and put it in a pot on the stove - add soy sauce and dried lemon peel. I almost covered it with water and boiled it until most of the water was gone. Check and see if it is tender and if not, more water and cook longer. Cook until most of the water is gone but don't dry it out. If you tweek the soy sauce and dreid lemon peel just right it is delicious! I think next time a little cayenne pepper.:)
Imposter

London, KY

#75044 Nov 16, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Chef Leo's ( chefleo.com ) Wild Game and Meat Rub can be bought online and the contents seem quite similar to NOPE's roast fixings. It contains garlic, chilles, Molasses, Coffee, Onion, and other spices.
They also sell a seasoning for "Camp Stew" with a recipe on the back containing 4 potatoes 4 tomatoes, 1/2 head of cabbage, an ear of corn (shaved) and a pound of smoked sausage with a teaspoon of their Camp Stew spice. I made that and it is pretty good vittles.
Old scruffy wolf is a man of few words, such a man's words carry more weight, somehow.

Reminds me of a rhyme grandpa used to say when us kids chitter chattered too much;

There once was an owl that lived in an oak. The more he saw, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard.
Why cant we all be like that wise old bird?
Ancient Wolf

Versailles, KY

#75045 Nov 16, 2012
I thought I talked too much. LOL. I live alone and have done so for about 9 years since the wife got sick and passed away. This thread is about 90% of my outside communication with people, so for the most part I try to get along with everyone. Sometimes that is not too easy and that is probably as much my fault as it is their's. LOL

I like the poem.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#75046 Nov 16, 2012
raven wrote:
<quoted text> I watched the first two parts of that saga. you'd think that Stewart girl would be "experienced" at something. And those little pansy boys on there...Well Liam Neison on Rob Roy and Richard Gere in First Knight get my thumbs up for hot, steamy scenes. LOL. I didn't see any point to the flick.
I don't think Ron's flicks ever have any point or real story behind them. They usually get down to the business at hand. It doesn't take much experience, just groan and chew bubble gum Ron will do the rest.
toadmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#75047 Nov 16, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
Bird of Prey
Hmmm

Duluth, GA

#75048 Nov 16, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I thought I talked too much. LOL. I live alone and have done so for about 9 years since the wife got sick and passed away. This thread is about 90% of my outside communication with people, so for the most part I try to get along with everyone. Sometimes that is not too easy and that is probably as much my fault as it is their's. LOL
I like the poem.
Thats sad Im sorry to hear that. I almost lost my wife a couple of years ago, thats when I discovered topix. Use to not post alot, just read the articles. Something about it makes it sortof addictive I think, no?
Hempburn

Whitley City, KY

#75049 Nov 16, 2012
Topix is the poor man's entertainment, lol, and I'm so poor we have to milk the bull just to feed the cat,,, well the bull is quite happy, but the cat,, well, not so much.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

FARTSBURG

#75050 Nov 16, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
Topix is the poor man's entertainment, lol, and I'm so poor we have to milk the bull just to feed the cat,,, well the bull is quite happy, but the cat,, well, not so much.
I knew it, I knew it, Humpaburn. You said it, I didn't. Ahahahah. I told you the need of slacking back on doobies and booze. Man oh man, Humpaburn you won't do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 49 min stray-cat 132,203
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,609
teena Marie mills 3 hr Jennifer 10
any women want to meet 3 hr lookeing 1
pullets and cocerels for sale, adult Buff Orpin... (Jun '13) 12 hr Deena 4
Pamela Hatfield, Michael Ramey, Brad Combs 12 hr Mother of the Year 1
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 13 hr Butter bean 23
praying it's all a lie Thu Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search