BMS Racism, Bullying, & the Principal

BMS Racism, Bullying, & the Principal

Posted in the Barboursville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#1 Mar 19, 2011
My son has recently not wanted to go to school. This is a very new thing with him, so my wife and I asked what was happening. After a lot of talk, we finally discovered that he was upset with friends of his and other kids making racist comments and jokes. For example, he said an African American student was told that he couldn't sit at a particular table because the table was "for whites only".

We are Caucasians, but we have tried to raise our children to be color blind.

Aside from the racism, there is a lot of bullying going on at the school. I have had to take my oldest son to the ER to get stitched after being punched in the face. I have had to take him to the ER to be x-rayed after he was thrown over a fence. I have had to replace two book bags because they were urinated on.

Several other parents have told me very similar stories... so what is the point of this topic? Well the point is that Mr. Lake has been informed numerous times by myself and other parents concerning the bullying and racism, but no discern-able action is ever taken. Mr. Lake even makes excuses for the racism and bullying with comments like - "They are just boys being boys", "My staff, nor myself have ever witnessed anything".

We have already lost one very good doctor; a prominent Urologist, who pulled his kids from the school and moved to a different city for the sole reason Mr. Lake would do nothing about the racism and bullying his sons encountered on a daily basis (e.g. Swatzikas on their lockers and in the bathrooms, Lunch room games like Nazi vs. the Jews).

What can we do? I would like any parent who has experienced this first hand with their child to write, as I am writing, to the Board of Education for Cabell County and demand that something be done immediately.
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#2 Mar 19, 2011
I am to the point that I believe Mr. Lake has lost all respect and thus should step down to become a full-time manager of his UPS store.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 19, 2011
Fed up Parent wrote:
I am to the point that I believe Mr. Lake has lost all respect and thus should step down to become a full-time manager of his UPS store.
You should go to the school with him and beat the hell out of those kids that injured them.
1 post removed
bms parent

United States

#5 Mar 19, 2011
What grade is your child? Mine is in 6th and has never or heard anything of this nature.
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#6 Mar 19, 2011
7th is the youngest.... The oldest is a Junior now.
bms parent

United States

#7 Mar 19, 2011
Have you documented everything? I would.think you could go to the Board if you have documentation of all the problems you've had. My child is of mixed race and he/she has not had any problems, yet. Hopefully they won't. I'm sorry your child.has had so many problems.
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#8 Mar 19, 2011
We have gone to the board a few times. I really hope the racism is isolated to the 7th grade because I hate hearing about it going on at all. There was an 8th grader using the "n" word slur in the hallway, but he was expelled, I believe for a knife in school.
hmm

Huntington, WV

#9 Mar 19, 2011
Fed up Parent wrote:
My son has recently not wanted to go to school. This is a very new thing with him, so my wife and I asked what was happening. After a lot of talk, we finally discovered that he was upset with friends of his and other kids making racist comments and jokes. For example, he said an African American student was told that he couldn't sit at a particular table because the table was "for whites only".

We are Caucasians, but we have tried to raise our children to be color blind.

Aside from the racism, there is a lot of bullying going on at the school. I have had to take my oldest son to the ER to get stitched after being punched in the face. I have had to take him to the ER to be x-rayed after he was thrown over a fence. I have had to replace two book bags because they were urinated on.

Several other parents have told me very similar stories... so what is the point of this topic? Well the point is that Mr. Lake has been informed numerous times by myself and other parents concerning the bullying and racism, but no discern-able action is ever taken. Mr. Lake even makes excuses for the racism and bullying with comments like - "They are just boys being boys", "My staff, nor myself have ever witnessed anything".

We have already lost one very good doctor; a prominent Urologist, who pulled his kids from the school and moved to a different city for the sole reason Mr. Lake would do nothing about the racism and bullying his sons encountered on a daily basis (e.g. Swatzikas on their lockers and in the bathrooms, Lunch room games like Nazi vs. the Jews).

What can we do? I would like any parent who has experienced this first hand with their child to write, as I am writing, to the Board of Education for Cabell County and demand that something be done immediately.
Well I'll tell you what, posting on topix about it isn't going to solve the problem lol.
former bms student

United States

#10 Mar 19, 2011
I went to bms a few years ago. I am currently a sophomore. When I went there there we desks that had kkk written on them and I had books that would have racial remarks written in them. Also I saw rude remarks toward homosexuals as well.
1 post removed
abc

Huntington, WV

#12 Mar 19, 2011
Fed up Parent wrote:
7th is the youngest.... The oldest is a Junior now.
what?
Guess What

United States

#13 Mar 19, 2011
A school administrator will never witness anything, nor will a teacher if it's kids they want to defend. Or kids that are just lime them, or kids whose parents are always at school, etc. I would like to know how you can be in a freaking school 8 hours a day and not "see" or "hear" anything that goes on, yet any parent who is around the kids in any capacity knows all about it. I know kids are sneaky, but I also know how I was treated over a similar incident. I was basically threatened that if I pushed a matter, that they were sure they could find something on my child too. I knew right then that it was useless to deal with them. If you're having an issue that can't be ignored, document everything, meet with the administrators to get their response, and if it is unsatisfactory go to the county and/or state BOE. These kids get away with bullying and bad behavior and it only gets worse at midland.
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#14 Mar 20, 2011
abc wrote:
<quoted text>
what?
Sorry... my youngest is in 7th grade and my oldest is now a junior. It was a few years ago that my oldest dealt with this crap at BMS. I was hoping my youngest wouldn't have to.
Fed up Parent

Buffalo, WV

#15 Mar 20, 2011
Guess What wrote:
A school administrator will never witness anything, nor will a teacher if it's kids they want to defend. Or kids that are just lime them, or kids whose parents are always at school, etc. I would like to know how you can be in a freaking school 8 hours a day and not "see" or "hear" anything that goes on, yet any parent who is around the kids in any capacity knows all about it. I know kids are sneaky, but I also know how I was treated over a similar incident. I was basically threatened that if I pushed a matter, that they were sure they could find something on my child too. I knew right then that it was useless to deal with them. If you're having an issue that can't be ignored, document everything, meet with the administrators to get their response, and if it is unsatisfactory go to the county and/or state BOE. These kids get away with bullying and bad behavior and it only gets worse at midland.
I pulled my oldest out of public school. I was hoping I could hold off on pulling the youngest out until high school so that I would only be paying tuition for one student at a time, but I may have to pay for them both to be in private school next year. It is really sad that my tax dollars go to the salaries of people who do not do the job they are being paid to do. Don't get me wrong; there are a number of very talented and caring teachers at BMS. It just seems there are a minority, particularly administrators, that worry more about candy sales and UPS stores than the safety and well being of the kids.

I don't know anything of CMHS because my kids never went there, nor will they. I have always heard that it is way worse than the middle school.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#16 Mar 20, 2011
Just do homeschooling. Or take online school like I'm currently doing. I've never had this high of a GPA(3.45) and I couldn't be happier.
abc

Huntington, WV

#17 Mar 20, 2011
Fed up Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry... my youngest is in 7th grade and my oldest is now a junior. It was a few years ago that my oldest dealt with this crap at BMS. I was hoping my youngest wouldn't have to.
oh, lol...i thought you were saying the grade levels at bms were 7th to 11. haha, my bad
Caitlyn34

United States

#18 Mar 20, 2011
I go to this school. Not many problems. I seriously think its ok. But, they are very strict. And its terrible.
Caitlyn34

United States

#19 Mar 20, 2011
I meant i went there last year. I here its worse now bc of a new principal
2 posts removed
kkk

San Mateo, CA

#22 Mar 22, 2011
White power
Feis Ort

United States

#23 Mar 23, 2011
kkk wrote:
White power
That is almost funny
kkk

United States

#24 Mar 28, 2011
Whites are supreme

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barboursville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Heard he got shot...what’s up? 5 hr Thank you 4
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 18 hr Dazed 4,395
Joleene Rae Duncan 18 hr Julio 2
Hook up 19 hr divorcetime 4
looking a lil' help (Apr '08) Tue Puerto_Rican beau... 2
Let me know Tue Puerto_Rican beau... 3
Tickled Tue Prisothedopewhore 5

Barboursville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barboursville Mortgages