Prevailing-wage lawsuit dismissed | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

The Ohio Supreme Court will not weigh in on a dispute over the payment of prevailing wages to workers on a school-construction project.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 28 of28
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Lowest Best Bid

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Conservatives Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
You are part of the problem if you support the throat-cutting Mexican labor gangs. Just because they will work for peanuts doesn't make hiring them over local, tax-paying skilled tradesmen right!
If I knew who you were, I would OUT your company to the world! Since you're so proud of your cheap Mexicans, perhaps you'll name your anti-American company?
Anti-American...seems to me this country was built with "foreign" labor...Irish, Chinese, Italian, Mexican. What's your ethnic history? Work ethic and skills are what gets a person hired. And I don't pay a CHEAP wage. I like to think my employess are an asset to my company so I pay them to stay. And the last time I checked I was withholding Federal, State and Local taxes from paychecks.
Recovery Spring

Saint Joe, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Conservatives Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
You are part of the problem if you support the throat-cutting Mexican labor gangs. Just because they will work for peanuts doesn't make hiring them over local, tax-paying skilled tradesmen right!
If I knew who you were, I would OUT your company to the world! Since you're so proud of your cheap Mexicans, perhaps you'll name your anti-American company?
You don't feel like a hypocrite when that POTUS you fawn over and adore, refuses to enforce US immigration laws, yet you complain about a direct symptom of his head in the sand?
Conservatives Lie

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Lowest Best Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
Anti-American...seems to me this country was built with "foreign" labor...Irish, Chinese, Italian, Mexican. What's your ethnic history? Work ethic and skills are what gets a person hired. And I don't pay a CHEAP wage. I like to think my employess are an asset to my company so I pay them to stay. And the last time I checked I was withholding Federal, State and Local taxes from paychecks.
BS Lies! Those immigrants you mention came here legally, and didn't just waltz in with the help of you scab-loving parasites who pocket the profits and pay dirt wages! I'll be ready to believe your fairy tales when you fess up and produce proof of citizenship, work visas or tax documents. Until then, you are as cowardly and anti-American as they come.
This means war

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Conservatives Lie wrote:
<quoted text>
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

... doesn't say anything about where you were born, or where you are or who you are... it says "all men"!

Those Mexicans have just as much right to try to better themselves as anybody else. Using the government to protect yourself against them is cowardly. Be acompetitor, or be a pu$$y!
mike

Woodsfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

stop prevailing wage and get more done.
Phu Bai Joe

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Lowest Best Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your comment is very inflammatory. I have seen some Mexican block/brick masons that could kick any one's butt putting up a wall. You must not be in the construction business.
As a safety consultant I've had a masonry supervisor praise his Spanish speaking crew because "if they get injured, they just go away". That's not to say that all contractors are like that, but I've seen too many cases where the crews have no concept of good safety practices. I would suggest that when the illegal crews are found, then those who hire and/or supervise them be deported along with them (after the government seizes the company.(What management permits, management condones.)
The Economist

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2011

Judged:

Just to give everyone an idea on how much the prevailing wage is, it was $27.48 an hour 9 years ago. I worked on a road crew for a summer during college doing state asphalt projects. Since it was a state project, it required all employees to be paid prevailing wage. I raked in $27.48 an hour for flipping a slow/stop sign. Talk about inflated wage... during non-state paving projects, the wage was $10 an hour.
jim rittenour

Milaca, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2011

Lowest Best Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your comment is very inflammatory. I have seen some Mexican block/brick masons that could kick any one's butt putting up a wall. You must not be in the construction business.
You don't get the point. This comment is about contractors who use immigrant labor because these workers are so desparate for any income that they are willing to work for wages that no American would stoop to. Sometimes it's a moral issue. It is a dilema.

But yes, immigrant labor does not equate to poor quality product. If they do crap work, the contractor can simply not call them back. Just like any other job, you can be fired for farting up-wind.

How about taxing the hell out of corporations that make even more money by sending jobs to Mexico for even less wages.

Even immigrant labor knows that they get better ( but menial ) wages by crossing the border.

If you had children to be fed and were not able to sustain a family on the wages in Mexico, any good parent would jump any fence to get the groceries.

I damn well would. As a parent, if you are one, convince me that you wouldn't do anything, anything, to keep your kids fed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 28 of28
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Barberton Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barberton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance