Prevailing-wage lawsuit dismissed | T...

Prevailing-wage lawsuit dismissed | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 28 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 18, 2011, titled Prevailing-wage lawsuit dismissed | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Ohio Supreme Court will not weigh in on a dispute over the payment of prevailing wages to workers on a school-construction project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
zapper45701

Powell, OH

#1 May 18, 2011
The thing people don't seem to understand about prevailing wage is that the people getting it need to support their families, too. Prevailing wage pay professional and trained workers. If you haven't watched shows like "Holmes on Homes" (made in Canada), he shows what it means to hire professionals. Yes, one pays a little more for a professional, but in the long run, it's well worth it. Prevailing wage pushes towards guaranteeing a professional does the job. We've all been the victim of a rip-off. Professionalism on the job, supported by prevailing wages, prevents that rip-off.
timmy

Youngstown, OH

#2 May 18, 2011
Kasich may want to end Prevailing wage ,but it's not Law yet and will come before the Voter as will House Bill 5 ! So get Your facts straight Columbus Dispatch ! And why do we need New Schools when he wants to use a Voucher System ? And this Law isn't just for schools. It's for Bridges, Water Plants, Waste Plants and Government Buildings ! But Dispatch you knew that didn't you ???
mckeestown

Lancaster, OH

#3 May 18, 2011
So does this mean any lawsuit is dismissed if we wait long enough and the work is already completed. Another victory for the union
mckeestown

Lancaster, OH

#4 May 18, 2011
zapper45701 wrote:
The thing people don't seem to understand about prevailing wage is that the people getting it need to support their families, too. Prevailing wage pay professional and trained workers. If you haven't watched shows like "Holmes on Homes" (made in Canada), he shows what it means to hire professionals. Yes, one pays a little more for a professional, but in the long run, it's well worth it. Prevailing wage pushes towards guaranteeing a professional does the job. We've all been the victim of a rip-off. Professionalism on the job, supported by prevailing wages, prevents that rip-off.
Is what you are saying mean that if i don't pay union wages my plumber is a rip=off artist?
mckeestown

Lancaster, OH

#5 May 18, 2011
timmy wrote:
Kasich may want to end Prevailing wage ,but it's not Law yet and will come before the Voter as will House Bill 5 ! So get Your facts straight Columbus Dispatch ! And why do we need New Schools when he wants to use a Voucher System ? And this Law isn't just for schools. It's for Bridges, Water Plants, Waste Plants and Government Buildings ! But Dispatch you knew that didn't you ???
Define "Prevailing wage" please.
Moving to Texas

United States

#6 May 18, 2011
Prevailing Wage is a misleading term. In Ohio Prevailing Wage is not an average or normal pay for the area, it's the highest union wage determined by the local union bosses. In many cases the same union workers are working at a lower rate for private industry than they charge their local government (taxpayers). New York, Michigan, New Jersey, Mass., and most other states have a much fairer PW than Ohio. The whole thing is just a political payoff back to the unions for supporting the dems. In other words it's a way to use tax money to elect dems. Ohio wastes about $1 billion a year because of the Prevailing Wage Law.
Lowest Best Bid

Columbus, OH

#7 May 18, 2011
Prevailing wage is a monkey wrench in a municipality's budget. Construction projects end up costing taxpayers two to three times more than if the job just went out to bid for the lowest and best contract.
Tea Party Tim

Blacklick, OH

#8 May 18, 2011
I guess this means that the Ohio Supreme Court is filled with liberal activist judges!

How dare they infringe on the RIGHT of contractors to use unskilled Mexicans to shoddily build buildings the public and our children will use?
Disagree

Columbus, OH

#9 May 18, 2011
zapper45701 wrote:
Just not true it creates an artificial wage that keeps prices high. The market should determine the wage for a given task. Clearly we need a floor on wages and that is in the law of the land....but....really "prevailing wage" how American is that!
Disagree

Columbus, OH

#10 May 18, 2011
Tea Party Tim wrote:
I guess this means that the Ohio Supreme Court is filled with liberal activist judges!
How dare they infringe on the RIGHT of contractors to use unskilled Mexicans to shoddily build buildings the public and our children will use?
Different law....and that should be enforced....but to set wages makes no sense.
Lowest Best Bid

Columbus, OH

#11 May 18, 2011
Tea Party Tim wrote:
I think your comment is very inflammatory. I have seen some Mexican block/brick masons that could kick any one's butt putting up a wall. You must not be in the construction business.
risk man

Columbus, OH

#12 May 18, 2011
zapper45701 wrote:
I disagree. I work for a public employer, who paid prevailing wages on new construction. One one of the jobs, the work was very shoddy. Paying better wages does not guarantee better work.
Big H

Columbus, OH

#13 May 18, 2011
This article is badly written. It's not cohesive and immediately understandle. The writer understands what she is trying to say, but you must write for the audience--not yourself...
Big H

Columbus, OH

#14 May 18, 2011
Tea Party Tim wrote:
The best construction workers/manual laborers I've ever hired were Mexicans. And they were cheap too. When they are done working, they go home to their family... unlike most of you other people I've hired.
Spooktackular

Tacoma, WA

#15 May 18, 2011
Prevailing wage was the law when starting the bid process. I don't like paying more but I don't see requiring the contractor(s) to pay prevailing wage on the project any different than having them include proof of workers comp and liability insurance. Those things are asked for even for the simplist of projects.

I am glad that Kasich resended Stricklands order on prevailing wage.
This means war

Chillicothe, OH

#16 May 18, 2011
zapper45701 wrote:
The thing people don't seem to understand about prevailing wage is that the people getting it need to support their families, too.
The thing some people don't understand is that the taxpayers want to get the most bang for their limited number of bucks.

This benefits more people. We can hire 20 of your buddies at a higher wage, or 25 of them at a little lower wage. Think of the 5 families that won't be getting anything under your plan.

So which is it going to be?(remember... you'll be unemployed while you're deciding...)
steggs

Columbus, OH

#17 May 18, 2011
zapper45701 wrote:
Prevailing wages are nothing but a union sanctioned taxpayer ripoff.
Tea Party Tim

Blacklick, OH

#18 May 18, 2011
Big H wrote:
<quoted text>
The best construction workers/manual laborers I've ever hired were Mexicans. And they were cheap too. When they are done working, they go home to their family... unlike most of you other people I've hired.
But wait.....how can I demonize Mexican immigrants as drug-dealing welfare leeches when the business community wants their cheap labor?

Gosh...being a Republican is HARD nowadays!
This means war

Chillicothe, OH

#19 May 18, 2011
steggs wrote:
<quoted text>
Prevailing wages are nothing but a union sanctioned taxpayer ripoff.
Legalized extortion more like it.
Conservatives Lie

Columbus, OH

#20 May 18, 2011
Lowest Best Bid wrote:
<quoted text>
I think your comment is very inflammatory. I have seen some Mexican block/brick masons that could kick any one's butt putting up a wall. You must not be in the construction business.
You are part of the problem if you support the throat-cutting Mexican labor gangs. Just because they will work for peanuts doesn't make hiring them over local, tax-paying skilled tradesmen right!

If I knew who you were, I would OUT your company to the world! Since you're so proud of your cheap Mexicans, perhaps you'll name your anti-American company?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barberton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Spits on Police Officers, Claims to Have H.... (Feb '10) Jul 28 Hatedbymany 33
Vacant Fairlawn Mansion Vandalized - Nine Juven... Jul 27 InquiringMindsWan... 1
News Akron moving ahead with plan to demolish Rollin... Jul 26 Walkin Boss 1
Corrupt - Judge Carol Dezso, Summit County DR C... (Jan '16) Jul 25 Denise Dimengo 5
News Akron 18 mins ago 3:36 p.m.Police K-9 catches m... Jul 1 Dawg catcher 2
Blonde May '16 Wondering 1
News Body discovered in Barberton alley (Aug '08) May '16 BPD 187

Barberton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barberton Mortgages