Prevailing-wage challenge argued to O...

Prevailing-wage challenge argued to Ohio justices

There are 42 comments on the DispatchPolitics story from Apr 20, 2011, titled Prevailing-wage challenge argued to Ohio justices. In it, DispatchPolitics reports that:

The Ohio Supreme Court will decide whether taxpayers can sue their local school district for requiring prevailing wages to be paid on a school construction project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DispatchPolitics.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 09

Mcconnelsville, OH

#1 Apr 20, 2011
Prevailing wage is one of the tricks unions use to bilk taxpayers out of millions a year on publicly funded projects. As a taxpayer, don't you want the lowest competent bid to win?
Earl Pitts

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 20, 2011
Yea, Do away with the prevailing wage law and just try to collect income taxes from the illegals and independent contractors that will overrun your public construction projects.
pubsrus

Tampa, FL

#3 Apr 20, 2011
Yea, that's is it, screw a person from making a good wage for a short period time. Let's do away with prevailing wage and then the contractor can bid the same and keep all the money for himself. Stupid idea from stupid people.
Sniper

New York, NY

#4 Apr 20, 2011
Good news that the crazy policy of requiring inflated costs has been revoked. If a company can do a project for $1 million, it should be hired over a company that will do it for $2 million. Why should the taxpayers subsidize the more expensive company?
mckeestown

Lancaster, OH

#5 Apr 20, 2011
pubsrus wrote:
Yea, that's is it, screw a person from making a good wage for a short period time. Let's do away with prevailing wage and then the contractor can bid the same and keep all the money for himself. Stupid idea from stupid people.
I am suprised you didn't quote the union “Hey, Hey, ho, ho, Kasich’s got to go.”

The union needs better slogan writers, this sounds like a 7 year old.
FoShizzle

Columbus, OH

#7 Apr 20, 2011
Hmmm. So, then, can Ohio workers sue their local school districts for allowing contractors to hire illegal aliens? Fair is fair, after all...
FoShizzle

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 20, 2011
johnhancock36 wrote:
Prevailing wage is one of the tricks unions use to bilk taxpayers out of millions a year on publicly funded projects. As a taxpayer, don't you want the lowest competent bid to win?
As an Ohioan, I want to keep our standard of living up, for everyone. I don't want to end up like Texas or Alabama.
ohio jim

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 20, 2011
mckeestown wrote:
<quoted text>
I am suprised you didn't quote the union “Hey, Hey,****,**** Kasich’s got to go.”
The union needs better slogan writers, this sounds like a 7 year old.
They can't afford it. Union slogan writers make prevailing wage.
save_the_rustbel t

Mount Pleasant, MI

#10 Apr 20, 2011
Hey, why shouldn't contractors be encouraged to hire transient hillbillies and illegals?

I always want my wiring done by a hillbilly with no permanent address.

(not a union member by the way)

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#11 Apr 20, 2011
It would be helpful if the article gave an example of what a prevaling wage is for say, an electrician or a dry wall hanger.

I would think that requiring a prevailing wage would actually level the playing field and provide some sort of quality control for the quality of work.

I would go so far to say, that if the prevailing wage is not too high, that it might actually PROTECT tax payers from shoddy work and more expenses down the line.

“American gvt is in the bag”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#12 Apr 20, 2011
Okay, I looked it up. Here are some examples of "prevailing wages" in Ohio:

Tile setters, hard and soft $14.01
Carpet installers $10.34
Carpenters $14.06
Carpenter apprentices $9.66
Drywall installers $12.51
Electricians $18.35

How are you going to get lower than that without going illegal?

Link:
http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/research/srr149.pd...
not the enemy

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 20, 2011
Had an opportunity to walk thru a 1 1/2 year old school building built using minority contractors and non union labor.$45,000,000 of tax dollars and the floors throughout the entire building are cracked, some needing replacement, doors that don't open because they hit the uneven floor, roof leaks, and they had to retrofit electrical outlets on the outside of the walls due to improper installation. Major issues with the HVAC system but the company that installed it is out of business so the school district is eating that cost. Sometimes you get what you pay for!
workingdadof7

Columbus, OH

#14 Apr 20, 2011
If a person is a taxpayer, he or she should have the right to question any gov't project. If you are lazy and don't pay taxes because you don't work, you shouldn't even be allowed to vote on taxpayer issues.
bullpucky

Athens, OH

#15 Apr 20, 2011
Earl Pitts wrote:
Yea, Do away with the prevailing wage law and just try to collect income taxes from the illegals and independent contractors that will overrun your public construction projects.
And the shoddy work they do. Maybe "taxpayers" don't realize it, but going that route costs them more in the long run from companies that go out of business or disappear. Just have them check to see how many of the school projects have had to go back to the OSFC for additional funds to take care of those "problems" that occurred.
bullpucky

Athens, OH

#16 Apr 20, 2011
not the enemy wrote:
Had an opportunity to walk thru a 1 1/2 year old school building built using minority contractors and non union labor.$45,000,000 of tax dollars and the floors throughout the entire building are cracked, some needing replacement, doors that don't open because they hit the uneven floor, roof leaks, and they had to retrofit electrical outlets on the outside of the walls due to improper installation. Major issues with the HVAC system but the company that installed it is out of business so the school district is eating that cost. Sometimes you get what you pay for!
You're right....Going the "cheap" route winds up costing additional millions in the long run. "Taxpayers" need to think about that before those projects are started when they don't use union labor. They also have the right to know this!
bullpucky

Athens, OH

#17 Apr 20, 2011
Tea Farty wrote:
Okay, I looked it up. Here are some examples of "prevailing wages" in Ohio:
Tile setters, hard and soft $14.01
Carpet installers $10.34
Carpenters $14.06
Carpenter apprentices $9.66
Drywall installers $12.51
Electricians $18.35
How are you going to get lower than that without going illegal?
Link:
http://www.lsc.state.oh.us/research/srr149.pd...
Just think how low it is if they use "fly-by-night" companies....Ya get what you pay for....
bullpucky

Athens, OH

#18 Apr 20, 2011
save_the_rustbelt wrote:
Hey, why shouldn't contractors be encouraged to hire transient hillbillies and illegals?
I always want my wiring done by a hillbilly with no permanent address.
(not a union member by the way)
The ya'll deserve to get what ya'll pay for ya'll!
bullpucky

Athens, OH

#19 Apr 20, 2011
FoShizzle wrote:
Hmmm. So, then, can Ohio workers sue their local school districts for allowing contractors to hire illegal aliens? Fair is fair, after all...
Just tell immigration authorities to go check out those job sites.
Lee

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 20, 2011
workingdadof7 wrote:
If a person is a taxpayer, he or she should have the right to question any gov't project. If you are lazy and don't pay taxes because you don't work, you shouldn't even be allowed to vote on taxpayer issues.
Don't complain about contracts that are discussed at public BOARD OF EDCUATION meetings, when you're too LAZY to go to their meetings. If you don't like their decisions, then vote them out.
geubux

Dayton, OH

#21 Apr 20, 2011
Here's hoping another chance for unions to take one up the @55!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barberton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Akron mother sentenced to five years for puttin... Thu Walkin Boss 2
News Judge sends accused Cuyahoga Valley National Pa... Thu Walkin Boss 1
News Black Voters Speak Out on Donald Trumpa s Recen... Aug 24 Dee Dee Dee 9
News Inmate who escaped Summit County jail still at ... Aug 23 Ja vette man 2
News Ohio.com - Akron teachers ratify pact (Aug '07) Aug 22 bigguy 51
News Akron's new West Point Market to open in Octobe... Aug 16 louisepapp 1
News NPD nabs serial diner and dasher Aug 8 Walking Boss 1

Barberton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance