Zebra mussels found in Lake Wisconsin

Zebra mussels have shown up in the 9,000-acre Lake Wisconsin, raising the risk that the invasive species will also be spread to such nearby waters as Devil's Lake. Full Story
OssieRes

Maple Grove, MN

#1 Mar 27, 2008
Unless some miracle happens, the mussels will spread to every lake. It's inevitable. Reporting each time it happens is like saying the sun rose again today
JRl

Brainerd, MN

#2 Mar 27, 2008
Maybe it's time to put a hefty tax on boaters since that is the most likely vector.
Bob

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 27, 2008
How about environmentalists paying a BIG tax.

You see it was environmentalists who required the big ships from Europe to NOT flush their ballast tanks at sea. So the fresh water was "shipped from Europe" into the Great Lakes carrying the Zebra and many other invasive nasty critters.

In fact Zebras are being distributed in bird doo along with lots of other stuff. This was proven by a Minnesota lake being infectd that isn't used by boats.

So JRI environmentalists are to blame for the Zebra infestation. Nothing to do with boats.

Sorry pal you loose!
dhtjhjfkjkfjrkh

Milwaukee, WI

#5 Apr 10, 2008
ok i think that we shouldnt eat mussels
ivana

Ancaster, Canada

#7 Apr 14, 2008
mussels taste like poop
From Hippie To Homo

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 14, 2008
OssieRes wrote:
Unless some miracle happens, the mussels will spread to every lake. It's inevitable. Reporting each time it happens is like saying the sun rose again today
It was only a matter of time. Let's look for the cure, we know the cause.
Charles P

Woodstock, GA

#9 May 13, 2008
This is NOT a surprise, as the zebra mussels were found upriver a few years ago. Everyone knew that they would move down river with the current flow.
Herman

Saint Paul, MN

#10 May 13, 2008
I thought I read where Zebra muscles had been found in small ponds with no boat access. That would indicate that they can spread via water fowl or turtles or some other natural process. The only cure is to attack the Zebra muscles with toxins or birth control or some other systemic pesticide. The DNR can stop harassing boaters, it is a total waste of time.
Sam

Prior Lake, MN

#13 Jul 30, 2009
Ducks spread the Zebra.

Learn to live with them!
Zebra things fly

Prior Lake, MN

#15 Aug 18, 2010
The Zebra is spread by waterfowl as stated in the following report:

Take a read, the primary means of the spread of Zebras is attachment to waterfowl. The boat accesses could be closed and the Zebra would continue to spread, thanks to ducks, geese, loons, herrons, gulls, any and all waterfowl.

Interesting if you view the sperad of Zebra map the manifestations follow the Mississippi flyway.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/watersupply/lakepond/ ...

P.S. I don't understand WHY the DNR isn't educating Mn residents that Waterfowl spread the Zebra, political reasons???

Maybe the DNR is controlled by the rich and would love to eliminate the movement of the public to different lakes via public access.

The rich property owners would love to see public accesses closed. You know the lakes are theirs..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baraboo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corrupt Wisconsin Dells Cops (Jun '09) Dec 13 Mike 72
Five homes wash away in Wisconsin (Jun '08) Dec 10 Mike 2
Threats at Wisconsin Dells High School Dec 10 Mike 1
sexual harrassment at local restaurant (Jan '09) Dec 10 Mike 5
Woman badly beaten at Diamond Motel in Lake del... Dec 10 Mike 2
Former Rock Springs village clerk admits embezz... (Apr '09) Dec 2 Mike 7
Sheriff: $50K worth of pot found at Sauk Co. home Dec 2 Mike 1
Baraboo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Baraboo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baraboo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baraboo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:50 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:50PM
Complete Week 15 Preview for Green Bay
Bleacher Report 8:19 PM
Ranking Packers' Best Wins over Buccaneers
NBC Sports 8:26 AM
Report: Executives suggest Bears could have to attach a draft pick to move Cutler
Yahoo! Sports12:30 PM
Greg Cosell's Look Ahead: Aaron Rodgers' off day
Yahoo! Sports 5:26 PM
Lions claim playoff berth with Eagles' loss