Teen Dies At Kalahari Resort

Full story: Channel 3000 58
Lake Delton police said a 15-year-old boy died on Saturday at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, reported WISC-TV. Authorities said the teen was staying in the Sands condominiums with a friend and his ... Full Story
Julie

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jun 22, 2009
I was also there & was so shaken I havent really slept since & visualize it every time I lay down. My son looks just like that little boy. We were right next to the pool and for a moment I just saw the Blonde little head & didnt know if it was my child as he was just in that pool.
I was unable to let my kids back in the pool the rest of the time we were there.
I know it was a Dad from Dance Factory that pulled him out & started CPR. When our Studio teacher asked there teacher she said the wife of the man that pulled him out said they were told "They did all they could & would keep them updated"
The thing is you cant be out for over 20 minutes in 80+ degree weather & not come out of it ok.
This is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life!
Worst part he wasnt even there with his parents, he was with his granparents.
Gail

Milwaukee, WI

#22 Jun 22, 2009
Michelle wrote:
This was not a drowning casualty; according to reports (however reliable they are) the person was found in a hotel room where he was staying with relatives/friends.
I was there and he did not die in a hotel room. He was at the outdoor waterpark. This was very sad for all who were there and i am sure to his family. From my family to his family our prayers are with you!
Anna

Waconia, MN

#23 Jun 22, 2009
I just received an email from the general manager of the Kalahari waterparks and she informed me that he is recovering at UW Madison and is expected to make a full recovery. I am very happy to be able to pass this news along.
momof3

Willmar, MN

#24 Jun 22, 2009
Linda wrote:
I also know that it was not a lifeguard that pulled the boy from the pool,there was a dance competition there and it was a dad of one of the dancers. I don't think this boy was 15 though, he looked only about 10 or maybe younger. This was on Saturday the 20th that this happened. When I left on Sunday the hotel told me that he was alive but they were not sure if there was any brain damage. My heart goes out to his mother this is a terrible thing to have happen, but the lifeguards worked very hard to keep the circulation going until the paramedics came. Could someone please verify if there were two separate drowinings or if he was really 15.
The 15 yr old was from an incident 2 years back if you look at the original quote of this forum. I was there as well with my kids for the dance comp. That little boy was about 8-10 at the most. This is 2 separate incidents. It did take forever for an ambulance and at one point a friend went to the DJ and asked if he could get someone else to help these very young lifeguards cause it looked like they were starting to panic as the minutes were flying by. The DJ said sorry there was nothing he could do!!!I It was well over 10 maybe 15 minutes before the ambulance came and then they worked on him for several minutes and everyone was holding their breathe waiting and wishing for the boy to respond. We wanted so badly to cheer for him. although it wasn't our own child, every parent there was praying and wishing for him to come back. I can't imagine that he has anything but brain damage at the very least if it took that long to get a pulse. No one I know saw a response. I think all of us who were there were hoping for an update and are sending up our prayers for him. It was tragic not to mention that his family appeared to be perhaps in the inside pool unaware? They put a curtain around and I assume did a procedure on him or used the paddles on him. that had to be at least at 20 minutes or so. I hope there will be a press release of some sort. I keep having nightmares about it and would like to know how this happened in the first place. That pool is so small. Perhaps he feel off one of the "stools" and hit his head??
zbtl

Circle Pines, MN

#25 Jun 22, 2009
I just recieved a forward from my friend whose daughter was in the dance competition this weekend and we were all there this weekend, and it is a forward from the wife of the husband that pulled the boy out of the water and was doing cpr on the boy until paramedics arrived... so no, it was not the life guards who pulled him out, it was a dad of one of the dancers, he got a call this morning from the kalahari staff that said the boy left the kalahari in the ambulance with a slight pulse but no heartbeat, they "revived" him in the ambulance and the hospital put him in a medical induced coma, airlifted him to U of W medical, they did vital tests and all look to be GOOD, and in the next few days they will slowly allow him to wake up on his own and should be fine and have NO side effects!! Thank God for this dad who was in the right place at the right time :)
zbtl

Circle Pines, MN

#26 Jun 22, 2009
also, this was a guess by the wife and husband and they think the boy was about 7 or 8. (this is the incident from this past weekend 6/20/09)
Julie

Minneapolis, MN

#27 Jun 23, 2009
First off I wouldnt believe anything I hear from the Kalahari, because when I asked to speak to the manager & ask what was going on, she lied to me! They need to save their butts! Also if this boy is still alive, we need to keep him so close in our prayers. Its so hard to imaginge you can be gone like that for 25 minutes & not have long term effects. God does miracles. Lets Pray this is one of them!!!
Chris

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Jun 23, 2009
I would'nt believe anything the resort says. Like Julie said they have to save there butts. I was told these thing never happen at the Kalahari, by management. 3 drownings or near drownings in 2 years. 2 of which were in the same pool with the floating platforms. Say some prayers.
Rachel

Grundy Center, IA

#29 Jun 23, 2009
I have emailed the Kalahari Resort to find more information about the young boy who nearly drowned on June 20th and they emailed me back and said that the boys father reports that he is expected to make a full recovery. I am sure they are telling the truth.
Tina

Wheeling, IL

#30 Jun 23, 2009
They have finally announced something in the paper:

A 6-year-old boy was in UW Hospital on Monday after nearly drowning at the Kalahari Resort & Convention Center.

The boy was one of two near drownings in the village Saturday; another boy was hit by a car on Highway 12, said Lake Delton Police Chief Tom Dorner.

Jacob Durant, of Oshkosh, was pulled from a pool in the outdoor waterpark of the Kalahari just before 2:30 p.m. Lifeguards performed CPR on the boy, who was initially taken to St. Clare Hospital in Baraboo before being flown to Madison. A spokeswoman for the resort said the parents of the boy have told hotel management the boy is expected to recover.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/latest/455827
Tjt

United States

#31 Jun 23, 2009
zbtl wrote:
also, this was a guess by the wife and husband and they think the boy was about 7 or 8.(this is the incident from this past weekend 6/20/09)
He is 6 and the lifeguard did CPR until Paramedics got there, the Dad pulled him out.
Angel

United States

#32 Jun 23, 2009
Julie wrote:
I was also there & was so shaken I havent really slept since & visualize it every time I lay down. My son looks just like that little boy. We were right next to the pool and for a moment I just saw the Blonde little head & didnt know if it was my child as he was just in that pool.
I was unable to let my kids back in the pool the rest of the time we were there.
I know it was a Dad from Dance Factory that pulled him out & started CPR. When our Studio teacher asked there teacher she said the wife of the man that pulled him out said they were told "They did all they could & would keep them updated"
The thing is you cant be out for over 20 minutes in 80+ degree weather & not come out of it ok.
This is the worst thing I have ever seen in my life!
Worst part he wasnt even there with his parents, he was with his granparents.
You can email me at timnangel333@msn.com Jake has survived and he is doing great!
Angel

United States

#33 Jun 23, 2009
I am Tim's Wife,(The Dad that pulled Jake out of the water) The boys name is Jake, he left the waterpark with a faint pulse. What we are being told by the managment at the Kahlahari (who is in direct contact with the parents) is the following...Jake was medivaced to the UofW. He was placed into a medicaly induced coma to protect his brain from further trauma. All his vital organs including his lungs checked out normal! His CT scan came back perfect! As of today he is concious, talking with his family, eating, he is the same boy that left them on saturday! It is trully a miracle we are greatful to have been a part of! He has changed the way I will forever look at my children! God bless him and his family!
kerby

Minneapolis, MN

#34 Jun 24, 2009
Thank you so much for the update. I have been thinking and praying for him constantly since it occurred. It truly is a miracle after what we witnessed!
Julie k

Matthews, IN

#35 Jun 24, 2009
Thank you so much for the updates!!! My husband Troy is the one who found Jake in the water and we have not stopped thinking about and praying for him also! Thank God he is fine!!!!
Julie k

Matthews, IN

#36 Jun 24, 2009
PS. We are from Eden Prairie, MN...not Morocco, IN.
Not sure how that came up
Larysa

Anoka, MN

#37 Jun 25, 2009
Angel wrote:
I am Tim's Wife,(The Dad that pulled Jake out of the water) The boys name is Jake, he left the waterpark with a faint pulse. What we are being told by the managment at the Kahlahari (who is in direct contact with the parents) is the following...Jake was medivaced to the UofW. He was placed into a medicaly induced coma to protect his brain from further trauma. All his vital organs including his lungs checked out normal! His CT scan came back perfect! As of today he is concious, talking with his family, eating, he is the same boy that left them on saturday! It is trully a miracle we are greatful to have been a part of! He has changed the way I will forever look at my children! God bless him and his family!
Do you know if there is a Caring Bridge site? I have not been able to find it. I was also there right when it happened and this has been haunting me too. Please keep us updated it means a lot. I thank God for your husband!!!!
Tina

Wheeling, IL

#38 Jun 25, 2009
I am so glad to hear he's okay! My kids and I have kept him in our nightly prayers since this happened! This is really a miracle! Thank God!
Brigid

United States

#40 Jul 6, 2009
My mom sent a card to Jacob in the hospital and his dad called her last week, they are from Osh Gosh. He was discharged last week and is doing well. He was with his mom and aunt at the pool not his grandparents and his dad was checking in to the hotel at the time. His dad said he has aged 20 years from this whole incident, he said the ride to Madison was the longest drive of his life, they would not let him go in the helicopter when they airlifted him. Jacob is doing well! Jacob is 6 years old by the way.
Bob Gacy

Muskego, WI

#41 Jul 10, 2009
People are always dying in Dells Pools....there some of the most Dangerous in the Country...for many reasons....Most also don't meet Codes !!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baraboo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Supervisor Willie Johnson Jr. named pres... 12 hr Bill Lackland 1
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) Mon fetch almighty 7,058
Police presence at mt Olympus village Aug 25 calb2525 3
Conservative group pulls candidate's support Aug 22 Bryan Fischer s H... 1
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Pro People 2,234
Wanna hang/chill/swim? Aug '14 Matt873 1
Gay high schoolers at Chula Vista? Aug '14 Matt873 1
•••
•••
•••

Baraboo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Baraboo People Search