Winter storm blasts WNC

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

ASHEVILLE Snow and ice has canceled or postponed classes for a second day today in some Western North Carolina school districts, though warmer weather is expected to ease into the region this week.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
John John

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Black Ice? Is that politically correct?
CONCERNED PARENT

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Buncombe Co. could not even announce that they were closed until almost 7:30 this morning, until then they were announcing a 2 hour delay. Sure would be nice to know at a reasonable time, some people do have to work.
Tom Tom

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

At my house we had a late burst of snow just before daylight that completely covered the road. Mountain weather can drive everyone batty.Even though it was late it was right. Snow just doesn't cooperate sometimes.
Jenny

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

We were to have furniture delivered today and my driveway got so covered with snow during the night that they couldnt get up the hill. Those poor guys had to lug that stuff all the way up to the house and I didnt have any cash for a tip! My road was pretty treacherous going to work too.
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

CONCERNED PARENT wrote:
Buncombe Co. could not even announce that they were closed until almost 7:30 this morning, until then they were announcing a 2 hour delay. Sure would be nice to know at a reasonable time, some people do have to work.
That was irresponsible on Bumcombe CO. behalf. They are supposed to announce all closing by 5am. That way parent should be given enough time to make arrangments.
CONCERNED PARENT

Fletcher, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Buncombe Co. never makes announcements by 5 AM. I was expecting a 2 hour delay until they changed it at almost 7:30, then we had to make other arrangements and everyone still had to get ready.
Tom Tom

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Tim,
What you said doesn't make sense. If it snows after 5:00am and road conditions change it makes sense to change.Saftey is more important than conveinence. Living in the mountains means you sometimes have to adjust. This is a big county and it often changes fast.
Jackson County

Cullowhee, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

CONCERNED PARENT wrote:
Buncombe Co. never makes announcements by 5 AM. I was expecting a 2 hour delay until they changed it at almost 7:30, then we had to make other arrangements and everyone still had to get ready.
Jackson County went the same way. They seldom make an announcement until 6 a.m. They did decide last night though to run on a two-hour delay but then at 7 this morning, decided to close. It can be frustrating.
George Jones

Hayesville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Tom Tom wrote:
Tim,
What you said doesn't make sense. If it snows after 5:00am and road conditions change it makes sense to change.Saftey is more important than conveinence. Living in the mountains means you sometimes have to adjust. This is a big county and it often changes fast.
You're exactly right Tom Tom. I don't know where some of these morons come from. If you're on a two-hour delay and it starts snowing during that delay, it is the smart thing to do to cancel school. However, I guess some expect the schools to do what the weathermen haven't been able to do in the last 100 years: predict the weather for tommorrow.

“I got a fur ball”

Since: Jan 09

marion co.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

well i don't no much about bad weather other than i had to drill through 27 feet of ice just to go fishing . A man can get mighty hungry waiting on the weather to break .
two dollar peestol

Hendersonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

George Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
You're exactly right Tom Tom. I don't know where some of these morons come from. If you're on a two-hour delay and it starts snowing during that delay, it is the smart thing to do to cancel school. However, I guess some expect the schools to do what the weathermen haven't been able to do in the last 100 years: predict the weather for tommorrow.
young and mean
turned eva hed in town

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Banner Elk Discussions

Search the Banner Elk Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr Red Square 54,828
Grandfather charged with raping 8-year-old (Aug '10) Wed rana talha sarwar naro 4
Apartments For Rent Jun 25 New Start 3
Sci-Fi movie about Brown Mountain lights debuts... Jun 24 Oh please 4
Earthquake confirmed near Blowing Rock Jun 23 Irene 2
Christensen: Ports Authority member Hodges says... May '14 Hilda Babs Davis 1
Knights on Main Apr '14 Piney resident 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Banner Elk Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000