Facebook teacher won't face charges

The Facebook posting that ultimately cost a Bangor music teacher her job will not result in charges, according to the Bangor police chief. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
playa

Grand Rapids, MI

#265 Jan 17, 2009
Just saying wrote:
Took this from the other chat blog, don't you kids realize there are cameras in your own school? And I suppose you are one of those spreading rumors around ruining this student's reputation.
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/wood/TIF3I9...
Anon
Michigan City, IN
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#163 8 hrs ago
Bangor Grad 83 wrote:
My sources at the school tell me that she indeed was a thief!
Apparently your sources are wrong. There is a security camera facing Miss Wyhowski's office and the instrument storage room. The tapes were reviewed and NEVER did a student enter the office when Miss Wyhowski was not present. As far as the school is concerned, it was on her desk the whole time covered by clutter. Miss Wyhowski MISPLACED the instrument and falsely accused the student. And there is more to the story than just an instrument. There were numerous derogatory statements about her job in general that were found.
Hopefully this was a learning experiece for her and she will grow up before trying to teach more kids.
site your source

“DRILL FOR OIL?, "YES WE CAN"”

Since: Jul 08

Newaygo, MI

#266 Jan 17, 2009
Hey, lets punish a teacher for getting the minor (who has no rights) to bring back the item they ripped off, hmm, ya that makes sense.
wow

Encino, CA

#267 Jan 17, 2009
Just saying wrote:
Took this from the other chat blog, don't you kids realize there are cameras in your own school? And I suppose you are one of those spreading rumors around ruining this student's reputation.
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/wood/TIF3I9...
Anon
Michigan City, IN
Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#163 8 hrs ago
Bangor Grad 83 wrote:
My sources at the school tell me that she indeed was a thief!
Apparently your sources are wrong. There is a security camera facing Miss Wyhowski's office and the instrument storage room. The tapes were reviewed and NEVER did a student enter the office when Miss Wyhowski was not present. As far as the school is concerned, it was on her desk the whole time covered by clutter. Miss Wyhowski MISPLACED the instrument and falsely accused the student. And there is more to the story than just an instrument. There were numerous derogatory statements about her job in general that were found.
Hopefully this was a learning experiece for her and she will grow up before trying to teach more kids.
The student could have taken the instrument even if the cameras showed Ms. Wyhowski present in her office or band room. But thanks anyway Nancy Drew...
musicman

Syracuse, NY

#268 Jan 19, 2009
Unfortunately, like most news stories, there is much more to this story that is not told here. This, of course, does not stop the media from publishing the story anyway. The fact that it will damage someones life is irrelevant to them. way to go Channel 8. You should be ashamed of yourselves although I'm certain you are not.
gary lol

Rome, NY

#269 Jan 20, 2009
she got fired for that? give me a break, that's just stupid. pretty soon teachers won't be able to criticize a student or they'll get fired.

and parents calling for the head of this teacher? you people make me sick.
gary lol

Rome, NY

#270 Jan 20, 2009
JJMcKay wrote:
<quoted text>
The first step in become a master of Douchebaggery is TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Well, you've got that down already. Truth is, I don't think there is much to really teach you. I think you're the biggest and best D-Bag. I'm pretty sure you're the biggest doucher around. Geez, I state my opinion and you come after me. Funny, but I am only stating the obvious. The girl is an idiot and she has a face only a mother goat could love. Just because she probably turned you down in your past doesn't mean that I'm a bad guy.
do yourself a favor and go jump off a cliff. it'll save the world countless facepalms.
woodsprite53058

Detroit, MI

#271 Jan 20, 2009
Wyoming mother wrote:
according to the article, it says "the parent involved" Her headline also didn't mention a name, so....how did they know which parent to contact? Maybe the parent of the kid who STOLE THE PICCOLO. I woulda said the same thing....we all know there was no threat there, just frustration. Lighten the eff up.
Wow are you really that stupid? Did you not know that many people are killed out of frustration. It is one of the ingredients for disaster. This was a teacher threatening that the would like to KILL a child. Wake up. How would you feel if I said I would like to kill your child? Not good!
Whay are you so de-sensitized to violence and the threat of death?

Since: Nov 08

I-Town

#272 Jan 21, 2009
gary lol wrote:
<quoted text>
do yourself a favor and go jump off a cliff. it'll save the world countless facepalms.
Jump off a cliff? Facepalms? Good one Gary. Took awhile to think those up didn't it? Just because I called this teacher out for what she is, DUMB and UGLY doesn't mean that you got to hate on me. Thank goodness for guys like you Gary, because you know, even ugly women need love too. I'm glad you're there taking one for the team.
A Western Student

Lewiston, MI

#273 Jan 23, 2009
I am an education major at WMU. Here, the education program takes great pride in turning out exceptional teachers. The music school especially has an excellent reputation, not just in Michigan, or even just the United States, but the world over.

Ms. Wyhowski has not lived up to the standard of excellence that we set here at Western. In her immaturity and serious lack of good judgment, she has not only lost her job and compromised her chances of having a teaching career in the future, but she has also placed an ugly black mark on the record of future teachers from Western Michigan University. This is not okay, and as an aspiring educator, it makes me very angry.

Are there worse things that Ms. Wyhowski could have done? Absolutely. However, using Facebook as a way to vent frustrations (particularly frustrations that could be misconstrued as a legitimate threat) directed toward a student, IN HER CARE, is completely unacceptable!

And of course, she denies that any of this is her fault. No doubt in her mind that SHE has been wronged, and is in no way to blame.

Take it as an obvious sign that Ms. Wyhowski is NOT ready for the classroom.
Confused citizen

South Haven, MI

#274 Jan 24, 2009
It seems to me that the teacher expressed her frustrations using an expression. It is her right to have an opinion. She did not post the students name, nor the name of the school-so there is no liability issue?? While her choice of words was inappropriate-the punishment was way over the top.

I am betting the student who stole the item and later returned it did not even get a one day suspension.

The next time the child steals something her mother will not be able to blame someone else
BE WARNED

Wayne, MI

#275 Jan 24, 2009
WELL IF YOUR A UP STANDING BANGOR -------- YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT WE HAD TO HAVE TWO BEAUTY PAGENTS ONE YEAR TO MAKE THEM HAPPY WE WAS LAUGHED AT FOR A LONG TIME.ITS NOT RIGHT BUT TRUE THIS TEACHER WILL COME OUT AHEAD IN THE LONG RUN SHE WILL NOT BE IN BANGOR AND ALL THE SNOOTY POOTY BULL CRAP.MAY GOD BLESS HER .

“Be your own hero.”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#276 Jan 24, 2009
A Western Student wrote:
I am an education major at WMU. Here, the education program takes great pride in turning out exceptional teachers. The music school especially has an excellent reputation, not just in Michigan, or even just the United States, but the world over.
Ms. Wyhowski has not lived up to the standard of excellence that we set here at Western. In her immaturity and serious lack of good judgment, she has not only lost her job and compromised her chances of having a teaching career in the future, but she has also placed an ugly black mark on the record of future teachers from Western Michigan University. This is not okay, and as an aspiring educator, it makes me very angry.
Are there worse things that Ms. Wyhowski could have done? Absolutely. However, using Facebook as a way to vent frustrations (particularly frustrations that could be misconstrued as a legitimate threat) directed toward a student, IN HER CARE, is completely unacceptable!
And of course, she denies that any of this is her fault. No doubt in her mind that SHE has been wronged, and is in no way to blame.
Take it as an obvious sign that Ms. Wyhowski is NOT ready for the classroom.
While I applaud your standards and your maturity, you might want to tone down the "holier-than-thou" attitude just a bit. It will not endear you to administrators or fellow teachers (if you get past an interview committee), and should you ever make a mistake, people will enjoy your misery. Students especially love to watch teachers with that attitude suffer, and they'll make it happen. Confidence is good, but cockiness (which this borders on) will bite you in the ...
sam

Holland, MI

#277 Jan 31, 2009
i think that was unfair of how they treated ms. wyhowski, after all, everybody says threats all the time whenever they are frustrated, its just words, usually arent taken seriously. it says that the teacher was in her first year, so probably just graduated from college, how can everyone expect her to not be stressed out within her first year. i truely support ms. wyhowski, and any other teacher that falls into some sort of trial like hers.
the honest truth

Holland, MI

#278 Jan 31, 2009
the teacher, wyhowski, was in her first year of being a teacher, she had problems with this student before, as well as with the mother of that student, obviously the family was looking for a fight , otherwise they wouldnt have gone looking online for anything to use against her. the school entrusted morgan, with taking responsiblity for the students and their gear for band, but when a student over reacts to not getting her way, and then sets out against the teacher because of that, there is a serious issue. the student would not return the property of the school, even when her name was on the sign-out sheet, she refused to having it, when morgan talked to her, again she denied it, the mother denied it, so what? all this happened over a petty fight, it happens in schools all around, it happens in places of business. why should she be treated so unfairly, when she was doing her job, and all she did was post a note online. there are worse things online by far. but they just had to drag her down anyways.......what petty desperate act.
the honest truth

Holland, MI

#279 Jan 31, 2009
Someone wrote:
<quoted text>
It was on private, its to my understanding that someone hacked in to find it.
Yes, the mother of the student supposedly hacked in, of course with her daughters help no doubt. but that is what has been said by morgan.
the honest truth

Holland, MI

#280 Jan 31, 2009
Concerned Teacher wrote:
SERIOUSLY?! I am a teacher who has Facebook, but honestly! What makes this ok?
How long have you been a teacher, hmm? she had just started teaching, and was doin one heck of a job. she is entitled to be a little frustrated, im sure you were when you first started, and im sure you vented about it, how is that any different that this?
the honest truth

Holland, MI

#281 Jan 31, 2009
Just saying wrote:
I will agree that if the child stole the instrument then yes, that should be investigated but I agree with what happened to the teacher. I am not a teacher but I am a parent, a wife, an employee, and a human and I know what it's like to get upset. The difference is, I know when and where to vent not on a public site that almost anyone could see. I know teachers have bad days, but there are other ways to vent instead of commenting that you “want to kill” one of your students on your facebook page. Now granted she wouldn’t have done it but come on, she is a teacher and we expect more. If there was a problem I am sure there are authority figures in the school she could have discussed this with. Honestly, it was a young teacher who wasn't ready to be the leader of a band. It does not make her a bad person but rather somebody,
who is in a authority position, a little immature and not ready for the responsibility it entails.
the problem with your beginning reasoning, is that the teachers comment was not publicized, it was meant to be seen by her and to whomever she was speaking to. it does not make her immature to vent online, which would be as public as venting to a friend or coworker anywhere.
Anon

Raleigh, NC

#282 Feb 2, 2009
There was NO hacking. The account was public at the time that the comment was posted. The mother found it by doing a simple google search and coming upon the facebook account.
Also, the school is stating there was NO theft. Call them and they will tell whoever would like to know the same thing.:)
News8isLame

Snohomish, WA

#283 Feb 3, 2009
...and news 8 gets yet another innocent teacher fired. Put that in your report.
Ricky

Homestead, FL

#284 Feb 3, 2009
If we are going to hold teachers to a standard over, say, a marketing rep or a waitress, then we need to pay them like that.
Don't tell me how to monitor my social life unless I'm compensated for giving it up.

"Teachers sign up for that when they take the job."

No they do not. They sign up for the work that takes place in the classroom and they understand that there are many things that they will take home with them each night too. But being a teacher does not mean giving up socializing. When you spend 9 hours a day with 10 year olds, sometimes you need an adult outlet.
If the threat is to be taken seriously as a threat, then prosecute her through that avenue.
But do not start monitoring her private life.

We simply don't pay them enough to play Big Brother. I remember being told in teacher ed classes that I should not go to the bar on Friday nights if students might walk by and see inside.

My Bill of Rights says I can peacefully assemble wherever I want to. You don't pay me to do otherwise.

Until then, I'll see you in the bar, or at the strip club! And if I see students out and about, it'll be a great chance to teach them and their parents about the first amendment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bangor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
South Haven Needs a Parking Garage 6 hr Drifter 13
Decompsed Body Found On South Haven-Area Beach Dec 12 Anonymous 2 1
Do you approve of Robert Burr as Mayor? Dec 12 CCityC 13
Old Harbor INN Dec 12 CCityC 2
Visitor/Commerce Centers Dec 8 Anonymous B 4
Next to Arby's Dec 6 Idea Maker 6
Parking Dec 6 Idea Maker 47
Bangor Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web