Facebook teacher won't face charges

The Facebook posting that ultimately cost a Bangor music teacher her job will not result in charges, according to the Bangor police chief. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
grlady

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Jan 13, 2009
I guess I would want to hurt someone too for stealing things that don't belong to them, and if my ass might be on the line.....

You never can tell.
A Parent

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jan 13, 2009
Woopsie! That was probably what she put as her "status" on Facebook. What a ditz. Especially bringing professional matters to a social networking site. This sounds very immature and unprofessional. She should have brought this up with the school higher ups and involved persona and parents, not flagging it into the wind on facebook. Duh. Well hopefully people learn from these lessons.
Mark

Grandville, MI

#3 Jan 13, 2009
OMG that was all she wrote?

Can we blow this a little more out of proportion???
Jen

Ypsilanti, MI

#4 Jan 13, 2009
I hope that this will forever be on her record. I dont think that our school districts have been considering the effects of how they are handling issues with teachers. The kids in that school are watching and learning from this. Yes they may see a teacher loose her job but is that all, she can walk away and not have to pay any other penalty. And in 1 or 2 years she is teaching more kids! Words have great amount of meaning and a teacher, if anyone, should know that! Kids are constantly being torn apart with words and it affects them greatly.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Wyoming mother

United States

#5 Jan 13, 2009
according to the article, it says "the parent involved" Her headline also didn't mention a name, so....how did they know which parent to contact? Maybe the parent of the kid who STOLE THE PICCOLO. I woulda said the same thing....we all know there was no threat there, just frustration. Lighten the eff up.
rock the world

Petoskey, MI

#6 Jan 13, 2009
Sounds like she needs to grow up a little but probably shouldn't have lost her job over it!
Michigan Man

United States

#7 Jan 13, 2009
A stupid mistake, yes, but should she have lost her job over it? Can anyone honestly convince me that she would LITERALLY kill that kid that stole the piccolo? Much ado about nothing, IMO.
Mistakes Happen

Carmel, IN

#8 Jan 13, 2009
Jen wrote:
I hope that this will forever be on her record. I dont think that our school districts have been considering the effects of how they are handling issues with teachers. The kids in that school are watching and learning from this. Yes they may see a teacher loose her job but is that all, she can walk away and not have to pay any other penalty. And in 1 or 2 years she is teaching more kids! Words have great amount of meaning and a teacher, if anyone, should know that! Kids are constantly being torn apart with words and it affects them greatly.
Relax Jen. She's 23 and in her first teaching gig out of school. It doesn't make her a terrible teacher per se, just someone that screwed up. No need to hang her out to dry.
Watermelon Head

Wyoming, MI

#9 Jan 13, 2009
She makes a stupid comment and loses her job. Fair enough.

What happens to the kid that stole the instrument? Or was that a false allegation. If it was true, I do believe losing her job is a bit harsh.

Either way, teachers putitng anything even a bit sketchy on a social networking site is just asking for trouble.

“Just be you. ”

Since: May 08

Muskegon,MI

#10 Jan 13, 2009
Sounds to me like she was just venting....

Inappropriate? Sure.
Should she have lost her job? Probably not.
hilarious

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Jan 13, 2009
talking in the third person online is SOOOOOOOOO kuhl.

hilarious likes it a lot!
kelly

Paw Paw, MI

#12 Jan 13, 2009
This just ticks me off, I live in the Bangor community and my child is a student. How dare she even say anything like that. I am glad they fired her dumb a**. She should be charge with something as far as I am concerned. She should not be allowed to teach children.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Cindy

Saint Joseph, MI

#13 Jan 13, 2009
I just pray she learned her lesson, the students don't get another chance if they threaten someones life, and that is what she said, that she wanted to kill that person how sad and she considers herself and adult and a roll model for students, well I think not

“Just be you. ”

Since: May 08

Muskegon,MI

#14 Jan 13, 2009
Jen wrote:
What would you expect to happen to her?
Mark

Grandville, MI

#15 Jan 13, 2009
Jen wrote:
I'm pretty sure she didn't have her student on her facebook account, just her friends. Her mistake is not having her account set to private I would assume. You are taking her words way to literally. If you think this was a serious "threat" to a child you need to get a life.
Watermelon Head

Wyoming, MI

#16 Jan 13, 2009
Jen wrote:
It's because of bleeding hearts like you that a teachers words have such a profound affect on kids. Kids need to toughen up. Words shouldn't "affect them greatly", but in this society of soft kids, people that speak the truth to our youth are condemned for being cruel.
Tori

Grand Rapids, MI

#17 Jan 13, 2009
So she is not that mature...No big deal. How many of us were at that age. I think she has some growing up to do but she should not have lost her job.
ellie

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Jan 13, 2009
Total lack of proffesionalism by the teacher. Grow up! Is she totally clueless? She got what she deserved. Tough lesson to learn.:(
Lol

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Jan 13, 2009
Wow. What was she thinking? I mean I really don't think she should get charges, but still. She shouldn't say stuff like that. Doesn't she know people see it? She wasn't thinkin'.
haha

Wayland, MI

#20 Jan 13, 2009
Too bad...the kid that posts on their myspace that their teacher is (fill in the blank). Then teacher loses job over groundless accusations, and nothing happens to kid.

This teacher makes a stupid comment...loses job.

What a great lesson to teach.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bangor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Democrat Annie Brown To Challenge Nesbitt In 66... (Nov '13) 3 hr Still wondering 15
Hales 9 hr Up town boy 15
Do you approve of Aric Nesbitt as State Represe... 9 hr Momof322 1
Do you approve of Robert Burr as Mayor? 9 hr Momof322 1
Oct 23 anon 1
officials bust marijuana grow operation on M 14... (Apr '12) Oct 23 Richard nose 15
The Big Blue Raccoon Oct 21 Idea Maker 5
Bangor Dating
Find my Match

Bangor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bangor News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bangor

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]