Looking for a place to live in Bangor?

Looking for a place to live in Bangor?

Posted in the Bangor Forum

anniestips

Bangor, ME

#1 Nov 29, 2011
Here are a list of streets to avoid for the following reasons. Serious drug abuse issues such as crack houses, drug sales, serious bath salt use, crime, over priced apartments, run down apartments, slumlords, criminal activity. These are streets that have been in the news for several huge drug busts including illegal weapons possession and other crimes. You are most likely to run into people that use bath salts aka monkey dust.

Avoid moving to these streets, specially if you have kids and you love them. Also there are parents in this area but most of them had their kids taken away by the state and/or are exposing them to dangerous lifestyles. Essex St. Pine St. Somerset St. Garland St. Grove St. Mt. Hope Ave (nearer to Grove St). Elm St. and Forest Ave area. There is a huge section of town over that way which has a lot of drug abuse and abusive people. Also on the other side of town the whole Ohio St. area close to Leadbetters is a very sketchy area between Union St. and Ohio is pretty sketchy. However this is the part of Ohio & Union that is closet to downtown, the area between Hammond St to about Thomas Hill Road.

Now keep in mind there are a lot of safer place to live in Bangor but I thought I'd help people who want to avoid drugs, have a safer place for kids, and want to avoid crime. Keep in mind Essex St is where a man threw someone off a balcony and several drug busts too place near Essex right on Garland. Ohio st. is another place where a man also whacked out on drugs threw someone out a window and where a woman hacked up her husband to death in a bath tube. Also avoid where Pine St. and Essex St. meet State St. that is an area where there are several stores that sell alcohol and where a local bar is. A lot of people on drugs hang out there after dark. Not safe.

This isn't a list of places that are safe in Bangor Maine but basically a list of places to NOT live if you care about your well being both mentally and psychically. It may not look it sometimes do drive through these areas but they are highly dangerous and sketchy places to be.
paula

Bangor, ME

#2 Nov 30, 2011
Another place is Spring St. in Bangor. There is an apartment building on a hill with a large porch thats got long steps leading up to it. Near 1459 Spring street if you google map it. There is a whack job named Hippie that either lives there or hangs out there. He's always sketched out on drugs including bath salts. A friend of mine saw him sitting on the steps several times in front of the building and going in and out of the place, one day he was yelling and screaming on the steps but NO ONE was around him. It's like he was hallucinating or something and hitting himself in the head. We've seen the cops pulled up into the side parking lot from time to time. Must be trouble there. Spring street just off Harlow St is another place you want to avoid if you're a decent human being. Im so glad I moved out of Bangor I hated that place. There is crime everywhere but there was nothing to do in Bangor but deal with people that are drug abusers. I just moved out of Bangor a couple months ago and see crime here too but at least there is more culture and stuff going on down here. Bangor has nothing going for it. Plus I think people are far more sketchy and tweaked out of their minds in Bangor. The news even said that Bangor Maine is one of the cities hardest hit by drug use such as bath salts. Probably no thanks to the dealers that live on Spring and Ohio Streets like that scrawny Hippie freak.

Since: Nov 11

Bridgton, ME

#3 Nov 30, 2011
I have lived in many places around the country as well as around the world. Every community will have problems, including crime, drugs, poverty, and unemployment. The bigger the community, the bigger the pool of problems. Bangor has grown over the years, so it's only logical that the number of problems will grow as well.

I'm sure there are no easy fixes to these problems, but I think defining areas of the city as "crime ridden" or "evil" will only make the matters worse.

Rather than simply blame the latest boogeyman (bathsalts?), Bangor should look at how some of the other larger cities are dealing with the societal issues in their areas.

Perhaps opening a Police sub-station in one of the more troubled areas, or initiating a Neighborhood Watch Program, may improve the areas. Shunning these areas, and giving them up as "lost" will only result in worse conditions as property values plummet. I would recommend that those who are really concerned, especially the young voters who are just starting to raise a family, start showing up at City Counsel meetings.

BTW - For what it's worth, I think Bangor (and the surrounding communities) are wonderful places to raise a family. The flaws and problems here are microscopic compared with many communities of comparable size.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bangor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sleeping prophet (Jun '12) Jun 29 Raydot 27
Early Bird Specials for the Santa Hustle South ... Jun 20 melanie11 1
JustAnswer.com is a SCAM (Jan '12) Jun 19 Inquisitor 46
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun 12 Anonymous 4
Douche named Hippie (Jul '15) May '16 Moonbeam CandyCorn 9
Landlords to Avoid in Bangor Maine (Apr '13) May '16 Sherwin 31
News Police smile at 'Cops Suck' tattoo across man's... May '16 beatlesinthebog 13

Bangor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bangor Mortgages