What time do most Americans eat Dinner?

What time do most Americans eat Dinner?

Posted in the Bangor Forum

Dancin Donald n Gal Pally

Bangor, ME

#1 Aug 21, 2012
We hear that question off and on and see hints and clues on pop tv shows that 6:00PM is when most Americans eat dinner.
This is our reasoning:
1. Most jobs get out between 4:30pm to 5:00pm and people are home usually around 5:30pm to 6:00pm according to their commute.
2. Kids schools are out at least by 3:00pm but usually eat snacks when they get home, then head out to play with friends. Since school is usually during the darker times of years kids are usually home again by 5pm or 6pm just after dark. Also after school activities keep kids there later.
3. A lot of people eat lunch at Noon (12pm) and by 2:30pm or 3:00pm have a snack during their day.
4. It can take 30 minutes to 60 minutes to prepare supper. Considering that a lot of people don't get home until about 4pm or 5pm from work they usually are hungry by this time and after putting stuff away from work or school decide to cook. Often traditionally the housewife anticipates cooking or if the male is a stay at home dad he anticipates cooking times according to his or her family's schedules.
5. From personal experience growing up and taking walks as an adult you can smell food cooking in most neighborhoods between 5pm to 7pm leaving the middle hour about 6pm.
6. A lot of people actually have a lot of favorite activities in the evening such as going out to movies, visiting friends after supper, or watching their favorite TV shows around 7pm on. Though sometimes people will eat at 7PM if they don't dine at home but instead save their apatite for going out to a restraint in the evening for a late dinner. Though usually a lot of people do not have an apatite for a huge meal later in the evening. Though do feel like snacking a lot if watching TV or a movie.
Other notes:
In TV shows and movies they typically reference 6:00 PM as the time to eat. For example in an episode of the Simpsons an explosion loosens a large clock that lands in their back yard. Homer happens to notice the time on the clock as on or near 6pm and comments about it being Dinner Time. The list goes on though hard to find sometimes in shows and movies. There is also reference on a lot of shows that a lot of people get up at 7AM most days. etc.
Not everyone fits into this pattern but it seems that most Americans do. What do you think? What time do you usually eat Dinner?
Dancin Donald n Gal Pally

Bangor, ME

#2 Aug 21, 2012
CORRECTIONS:
1. We wanted to say "Restaurant" not "Restraint". Darn spell check fooled me. Though it does take some restraint if you are in deed saving your apatite for a later hour such as 7PM.

2. I forgot to add that the human stomach usually empties out every 3 hours after a meal or snacking. That is why we think that if someone snacks at about 3:00PM they most likely will not feel all that hungry until about 6PM.
Forreal

Bradenton, FL

#3 Feb 3, 2015
I find it such bad manners that accountants/insurance sales personnel & builders call in at dinnertime (6-7.30pm) for meetings. Americans are terrible for doing this.
meh

United States

#4 Feb 3, 2015
Phil Connors' alarm clock went off at 6:00 every morning in the movie "Groundhog Day".

http://youtu.be/BERd61bDY7k
Sudney

Highland Park, IL

#5 Oct 28, 2015
Dancin Donald n Gal Pally wrote:
We hear that question off and on and see hints and clues on pop tv shows that 6:00PM is when most Americans eat dinner.
This is our reasoning:
1. Most jobs get out between 4:30pm to 5:00pm and people are home usually around 5:30pm to 6:00pm according to their commute.
2. Kids schools are out at least by 3:00pm but usually eat snacks when they get home, then head out to play with friends. Since school is usually during the darker times of years kids are usually home again by 5pm or 6pm just after dark. Also after school activities keep kids there later.
3. A lot of people eat lunch at Noon (12pm) and by 2:30pm or 3:00pm have a snack during their day.
4. It can take 30 minutes to 60 minutes to prepare supper. Considering that a lot of people don't get home until about 4pm or 5pm from work they usually are hungry by this time and after putting stuff away from work or school decide to cook. Often traditionally the housewife anticipates cooking or if the male is a stay at home dad he anticipates cooking times according to his or her family's schedules.
5. From personal experience growing up and taking walks as an adult you can smell food cooking in most neighborhoods between 5pm to 7pm leaving the middle hour about 6pm.
6. A lot of people actually have a lot of favorite activities in the evening such as going out to movies, visiting friends after supper, or watching their favorite TV shows around 7pm on. Though sometimes people will eat at 7PM if they don't dine at home but instead save their apatite for going out to a restraint in the evening for a late dinner. Though usually a lot of people do not have an apatite for a huge meal later in the evening. Though do feel like snacking a lot if watching TV or a movie.
Other notes:
In TV shows and movies they typically reference 6:00 PM as the time to eat. For example in an episode of the Simpsons an explosion loosens a large clock that lands in their back yard. Homer happens to notice the time on the clock as on or near 6pm and comments about it being Dinner Time. The list goes on though hard to find sometimes in shows and movies. There is also reference on a lot of shows that a lot of people get up at 7AM most days. etc.
Not everyone fits into this pattern but it seems that most Americans do. What do you think? What time do you usually eat Dinner?
Breakfast: 6:30-7:30 am
Snack:~10:30 am
Lunch: 12:00-1:00 pm
Snack: 3:00-3:30 pm
Supper: 5:00-6:00 pm
Dessert: 8:00-9:00 pm
Around 6 PM

Westwood, MA

#6 Oct 29, 2015
6:00 PM. A study I read once showed that most families with working parents meet up around 6pm where the parent(s) get out of work (on average) between 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm) though some get out sooner and later. Also college kids tend to pile into the dinning commons early so they can get out to do evening activities. Most college dinning halls/commons open between 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm however a majority of students still eat around 6PM when the commons are most crowded. Also a lot of Student Groups & Clubs meet around 6PM in which college students bring their own meal (either from a local store or from a Student Union Cafe' or Food Court). People that are out of work also tend to eat dinner around 6pm on average for various reasons. Though there are some people that go out on dates that eat later around 7pm however this seems to becoming an outdated things to do where most modern dates consist of meeting up at a bar, club, or straight to the movie, or straight to sexual relations. So more people on dates tend to eat before the date (though some still eat dinner together on a date). Though not everybody is on the same schedule people tend to eat dinner between 4:30 PM (not just the older folks eat at 4:30pm but some people that are busy in the evenings) and some eat as late as 7:30 PM with a peak at about 6:00 PM and sloping off around 6:30 PM. I have tried to find the link to this study but cant seem to locate it but this is also something that I have witnessed myself through out my life so I tend to believe it's viable. Though I do know that I have friends and family that have worked nights and slept during the day, however a lot of them treat Dinner as a kind of breakfast where they still eat usual Dinner type meals (Meat, Veggie, Starch) in the early evening between 5PM to 7PM.- Side note: I have noticed that I have had neighbors that seem to be out of work that do drugs and their eating schedule is all over the place according to how hung over they are or if they seem to be doing drugs they don't hold to a normal schedule. I live in New England and not sure about other parts of the country but there is a growing number of people out of work that are addicted to drugs, alcohol, and do time in and out of prison and jail so it's not abnormal to see people that don't fit into a normal routine. Though this side note isn't important to your question I feel it's worth noting that times seem to be changing and not for the better as more and more cities are corrupted. For example Manchester NH has a hire than average death rate due to Heroine over dose. An alarming number of people are not as easily studied when it comes to patterns of any kind. This could very well affect other peoples schedules around them as things become chaotic.
Funny

Westwood, MA

#7 Oct 29, 2015
meh wrote:
Phil Connors' alarm clock went off at 6:00 every morning in the movie "Groundhog Day".
http://youtu.be/BERd61bDY7k
That's because he was a type of Service Worker. 5am to 6am is when they typically get up. Though a news reporter is of higher status than lets say a custodian at a school they all tend to get up earlier than the average person because their jobs provide a service to the community. Most people get up about 7:00 AM. PS I thought Groundhog Day was a cool movie.
Simple vs Broad

Reading, MA

#8 Dec 8, 2015
07:00 AM Breakfast
12:00 PM Lunch
06:00 PM Dinner
Is the simple most used schedule.

06:00 AM to 7:00 AM Breakfast
11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Lunch
4:30 PM to 8:00 PM Dinner
Is a catch all for a broad number of people.

Some people have a snack, coffee, etc mid morning (around 10:00 AM)
A lot of people also snack about 3:00 PM (around 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM)
A large amount of people snack or have a light meal before bedtime at 10:00 PM to 12-Midnight.

I for some reason still kept my old eating schedule from college a decade ago. I eat breakfast about 7:00 AM, Have a muffin, cookie, or cruller with my coffee mid morning, eat lunch about 12:00 PM, and dinner about 5:00 PM, to avoid snacking earlier I eat dinner earlier but still have 5 hours between lunch and dinner, also like in college I have busy evenings and like to eat early to get a jump on things. Visiting friends, Research on the computer, Social Networking, Going for a run on the treadmill at a local gym, sometimes play video games, or go out to a movie, or if I need to go shopping, etc. Then I don't snack again until about an hour before bed like 10 PM or 11 PM. I usually go to bed between 11 PM to Midnight. There are times that I don't eat dinner until 6 PM for various reasons. 6:00 PM seems best when I am sitting down with friends, family, or a date. Sometimes 7 PM.
Mike

Reading, MA

#9 Dec 8, 2015
meh wrote:
Phil Connors' alarm clock went off at 6:00 every morning in the movie "Groundhog Day".
http://youtu.be/BERd61bDY7k
Groundhog Day is a great movie. Very funny.
I noticed that it depends on the type of job a person has. Some workers are needed to start their jobs before other people can start theirs. For example: Service workers such as reporters all the way to cafeteria workers get up between 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM to set up for others. But Students and some teachers don't get up until 7:00 AM. Some office staff might not get to work until 8am to 9am. Usually the % of people that get up earlier are a smaller percent than the majority that get up later.- However in recent years the news has reported that the 9 to 5 schedule is being changed by Millennials. Some get up very late some get up very early. I do think that TV Shows and Movies have always tried to "relate" to the common routine of most people. For example: When Homer Simpson (in the tv show The Simpsons) had a large clock land in his back yard after an explosion and it was 6-O'Clock PM, and he said something like Hmmm it's Dinner already? Or like when Timmy Turner in the tv show Fairly OddParents gets out of bed when his alarm goes off at 7:00 AM. The same for Phil Connors getting up at 6:00 AM a lot of earlier risers that have a job in which they feel trapped in a cycle over & over again can relate to his character. Even as far back as a lot of 1980s movies there were quick shots of Clocks at certain times to invoke or evoke the emotions of the viewer. Even if it shows the clock for only a few seconds it sparks our memories of daily events & feelings. For example the feeling of urgency. I was lucky about 6 years ago to win a lot of money so I left my job, forgot about college, and have not had to work again but still to this day when ever I see clocks on TV, in Movies, or even in my dreams I think Im late for class.. ha ha I still get stirred a little emotionally. Also I get very nostalgic... Lately I've wanted to go back to college again even though I am 29 years old. The last 6 years have been fun but I now seriously miss the flow of things. I never thought Id ever want to go back to work or school again but I miss it. Though the big difference is now that I can study what ever I want. I miss the smell of text books and making it to class on time. Funny movies like Groundhog Day, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, all the way to Harry Potter and TV shows like Zoey 101 (2005) and even when I watched House MD back around that same time.:-) Funny though I loved a lot of TV shows from my youth but I didn't like movies from 2002 to 2010. I mostly rented old movies from the 1980s to 1990s. I love Classic Movies. After I won the money I bought a TON of old 80s and 90s movies and music. ha ha ha I think since I was born in 1986 it might of had an influence on me even though I was too young to appreciate how awesome that decade was. Im sorry I got off topic, I guess the topic of time & clocks stirred up feelings. LOL
Statistic

United States

#10 Wednesday Jun 7
I am statistic taker (take statistics nationally) I specialize in this region. On average most Americans eat dinner at around 9:00-11:00 since that is close to bed time. Eating early at around 6:00 is unhealthy and can cause empty stomach syndrome. I hope this helped!
Schut Gunfinity

Coronado Ntl Forest, AZ

#11 Wednesday Jun 7
Statistic wrote:
I am statistic taker (take statistics nationally) I specialize in this region. On average most Americans eat dinner at around 9:00-11:00 since that is close to bed time. Eating early at around 6:00 is unhealthy and can cause empty stomach syndrome. I hope this helped!
Actually, I have a masters degree in statistics person. 99.9% of the American people(s) eat dinner at 5:00-6:00, and eating any later can cause gimp syndrome and make you a forever gimp. I hope this helped!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bangor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why is Maine in the wrong time zone? (Jun '12) May 31 Kenerai 4
the real truth about the jews May '17 Davy 3
Bangor Maine Sucks (Nov '11) May '17 Gilbert 339
News Weird 39 mins ago 5:35 p.m.Owner of topless cle... May '17 Parden Pard 7
megan wayne-plz read!!!! (Jun '11) Apr '17 Pig Finder 4
Boycott Pedophilia Capital. Palm Beach County Mar '17 Boycott Palm Beach 1
How to piss off pot heads (Jan '16) Mar '17 Anon 3

Bangor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bangor Mortgages