What time do most Americans eat Dinner?
Posted in the Bangor Forum
#1 Aug 21, 2012
We hear that question off and on and see hints and clues on pop tv shows that 6:00PM is when most Americans eat dinner.
This is our reasoning:
1. Most jobs get out between 4:30pm to 5:00pm and people are home usually around 5:30pm to 6:00pm according to their commute.
2. Kids schools are out at least by 3:00pm but usually eat snacks when they get home, then head out to play with friends. Since school is usually during the darker times of years kids are usually home again by 5pm or 6pm just after dark. Also after school activities keep kids there later.
3. A lot of people eat lunch at Noon (12pm) and by 2:30pm or 3:00pm have a snack during their day.
4. It can take 30 minutes to 60 minutes to prepare supper. Considering that a lot of people don't get home until about 4pm or 5pm from work they usually are hungry by this time and after putting stuff away from work or school decide to cook. Often traditionally the housewife anticipates cooking or if the male is a stay at home dad he anticipates cooking times according to his or her family's schedules.
5. From personal experience growing up and taking walks as an adult you can smell food cooking in most neighborhoods between 5pm to 7pm leaving the middle hour about 6pm.
6. A lot of people actually have a lot of favorite activities in the evening such as going out to movies, visiting friends after supper, or watching their favorite TV shows around 7pm on. Though sometimes people will eat at 7PM if they don't dine at home but instead save their apatite for going out to a restraint in the evening for a late dinner. Though usually a lot of people do not have an apatite for a huge meal later in the evening. Though do feel like snacking a lot if watching TV or a movie.
In TV shows and movies they typically reference 6:00 PM as the time to eat. For example in an episode of the Simpsons an explosion loosens a large clock that lands in their back yard. Homer happens to notice the time on the clock as on or near 6pm and comments about it being Dinner Time. The list goes on though hard to find sometimes in shows and movies. There is also reference on a lot of shows that a lot of people get up at 7AM most days. etc.
Not everyone fits into this pattern but it seems that most Americans do. What do you think? What time do you usually eat Dinner?
#2 Aug 21, 2012
1. We wanted to say "Restaurant" not "Restraint". Darn spell check fooled me. Though it does take some restraint if you are in deed saving your apatite for a later hour such as 7PM.
2. I forgot to add that the human stomach usually empties out every 3 hours after a meal or snacking. That is why we think that if someone snacks at about 3:00PM they most likely will not feel all that hungry until about 6PM.
#3 Feb 3, 2015
I find it such bad manners that accountants/insurance sales personnel & builders call in at dinnertime (6-7.30pm) for meetings. Americans are terrible for doing this.
#4 Feb 3, 2015
Phil Connors' alarm clock went off at 6:00 every morning in the movie "Groundhog Day".
Add your comments below
|Bangor Maine OBGYN recommendations? (Sep '14)||Aug 30||TRUMP ADMENSTRUATION||2|
|Eastern Maine Medical Center is garbage||Aug 8||EMMC Fails||1|
|Maine Shooting Spree of the Terminator on Way t...||Aug 4||Nick Gibson||2|
|Douche named Hippie||Jul '15||Liar Warning||1|
|Ventolin inhaler sucks (Apr '12)||Jul '15||Norma||3|
|Wardens: Bald eagle dies after grabbing lamprey...||Jul '15||Nobody Important||1|
|obnoxious relatives||Jul '15||Doodoo||3|
Find what you want!
Search Bangor Forum Now
Copyright © 2015 Topix LLC