Political race heats up

Political race heats up

There are 81 comments on the The Bandera County Courier story from Apr 12, 2012, titled Political race heats up. In it, The Bandera County Courier reports that:

Bandera attorney Stephen L. Schaefer has filed a civil lawsuit against County Attorney John Payne and a member of his staff, Linda James, on behalf of his clients, "Jane Doe" and her minor daughter, "Joan Doe." Also named as defendants in the lawsuit are a trio of juvenile males accused of raping the minor female, and the father of the one of the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Bandera County Courier.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

San Antonio, TX

#1 Apr 13, 2012
People can sue for anything now adays! I was always under the notion that all people have the right to have an attorney present during questioning and thats all Payne told the father. How can this be taken seriously? Unless there is more to this than what is being written in our super newspapers?
brenda

Devine, TX

#2 Apr 13, 2012
the fact that an 11 yr old was raped and payne is obviously looking out for his client instead of the victim of clients son is un ethical and WRONG ! had it been your daughter what would you do ?? payne should have kept his mouth shut and let investigators do thier job ,not interfere with the investigation . these boys video taped it on thier phones !!! how sick is that !
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#3 Apr 13, 2012
brenda wrote:
the fact that an 11 yr old was raped and payne is obviously looking out for his client instead of the victim of clients son is un ethical and WRONG ! had it been your daughter what would you do ?? payne should have kept his mouth shut and let investigators do thier job ,not interfere with the investigation . these boys video taped it on thier phones !!! how sick is that !
I'm thinking if the father called Payne and Payne was returning his call that is one thing. But.....when Payne asked the investigator for further info that was improper. At that point Payne knew the alleged rapist was his client's son. Any further information should never have been given to Payne as he should have recused himself when he found out who the boy was.
Only Payne and the daddy know what was discussed between them and if they did something wrong I'll bet no one is gonna admit it.
This is the same problem former County Attorney Kerry Schneider had, you can't prosecute the same county folks you defend-it just isn't ethical and I believe Payne knows it.
Linda James is a court co ordinator so it is not uncommon for her to get info on an ongoing investigation that may be going to trial but when her "boss" represents the boys father, come on why is she involved at that point other than to maybe give confidential info to Payne to pass to his client.
Like you said a child was allegedly rapes for God's sake why isn't anyone worried about her????
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#4 Apr 13, 2012
BeHappyOrGoAway wrote:
People can sue for anything now adays! I was always under the notion that all people have the right to have an attorney present during questioning and thats all Payne told the father. How can this be taken seriously? Unless there is more to this than what is being written in our super newspapers?
Our super newspapers?? Still not very happy are you.
May I ask you how you know what Payne told the boy's father?
Because unless you were in a three way conversation you can't know what Payne told him. You like Payne and I understand that but this kind of behavior is un lawful. The accused boy is the son of a client of Paynes. Can you see the problem now?
You can't "feed" the boy's father information the Sheriff's department has gathered for possible prosecution. Now no one knows for sure what was relayed and what wasn't.
Take it seriously, yes indeed-rape of a child is very serious.
If you don't believe me ask brenda, she can explain that to you and how these things get swept under the county carpet unless you kick and scream.
brenda

Devine, TX

#5 Apr 18, 2012
child rape is very serious ,my niece was so severly damaged physically she has a 30% chance of ever carring a baby to term ,the scarring was horrific and her monthly cycle will for the rest of her be abnormal ,she was 6 yrs old when her nitemare began ,compliments of micheal odom . 2 grown men living in the home and they grabbed my nephew who was 11 . my niece had NEVER in any way gave indication that she was scared of her brother before or after micheal married my sister ,jesse was her protector all her life and always fought for her .when she originally told on micheal ,jesse was LATER accused . heather was scared into saying it was her brother ,just like her brother was scared into a false confession .we could prove this IF the interrogation tape or audio had not suspiciously disapeared .they used a 11 yr old polygraph micheal took and passed of course ,to drop my nieces inditement ,but also dropped the inditement from the babysitter who had nothing to do with the polygraph and was not mentioned during testing .in the meantime after all the other victims have come forward ,the DA has let micheal odom do as he damn well pleases ,this is also going to be the situation allowed for the three little monsters who raped this little 11 yr old if payne gets his way .the babysitter is still waiting to go back before another grand jury because wads dropped her inditement for no legit reson at all in november ,it is now april and she has yet to hear a word from wads . a dangerous message is being sent to the offenders and young boys in that county thanks to dirty politics ,favoritism and a blatant disregard for the children ,i guess because they cant vote yet .
brenda

Devine, TX

#6 Apr 19, 2012
forgot to add my niece s exam concluded there were two perpetrators .
just thinking

United States

#7 Apr 19, 2012
I find it very interesting that no complaints have been filed against the officers that let information out about a juvenile or juveniles invovled in a crime because that is confidential information. I would be all over that because they are certainy not helping the case and they are leaking confidential information to any and everybody about juveniles.

And what does Janna Lindig doing sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong?

You are going after only two people and there seems to be a whole lot more that need to be sued for their obvious involvement. Shame on the law enforcement for jeopardizing a case where a young girl has been molested and will be scared for life.
brenda

Devine, TX

#8 Apr 20, 2012
I have met Jenna ,and my opinion of her is that she is truely concered about what is happening to this little girl s case .This child is going thru hell AGAIN . I wish more people like her would get involved when officials bend the law in cases like this.
Oh My

Canyon Lake, TX

#9 Apr 20, 2012
just thinking wrote:
I find it very interesting that no complaints have been filed against the officers that let information out about a juvenile or juveniles invovled in a crime because that is confidential information. I would be all over that because they are certainy not helping the case and they are leaking confidential information to any and everybody about juveniles.
And what does Janna Lindig doing sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong?
You are going after only two people and there seems to be a whole lot more that need to be sued for their obvious involvement. Shame on the law enforcement for jeopardizing a case where a young girl has been molested and will be scared for life.
This is nuts, Lindig has absolutely no need for that info. In fact if she got that and repeated it the case is screwed.
And like you said the officers should be arrested for obstruction and probably fired.
Payne and his girl should be prosecuted as well.
Looks like everyone here is just screwing the pooch.
SHADOW

Anonymous Proxy

#10 Apr 20, 2012
brenda wrote:
I have met Jenna ,and my opinion of her is that she is truely concered about what is happening to this little girl s case .This child is going thru hell AGAIN . I wish more people like her would get involved when officials bend the law in cases like this.
brenda I don't know what Lindig does or doesn't believe. Just remember she is campaigning right now.
She told a good friend of mine that her name was not on any plaque noting her contributions to the democratic party in Houston. Well it is posted in the Courier this week-she just outright lied. She knew as a democrat she would get no where so she lied. She also ran on the democratic ticket for a judge position in Houston.
I believe she is a democrat and we don't need anymore "Obama's" in sheeps clothing do we.
If she will lie about her background why would you believe anything she says. It could be a simple thing of looking for votes but I don't want a lying County Attorney do you?
brenda

Devine, TX

#11 Apr 24, 2012
no shadow i dont . i only met the lady briefly and do not know anything much about her except she was very nice and was shocked about our cases . im not for anyone at this point when it comes to county ,but believe payne should go . it makes me sick to see a wonderful and moral man like seargent barretto be treated and blamed for compromising cases when fault lies directly on the da and county att. i know for a fact the seargent would not do this ,he has been fighting tooth and nail ,sitting up at night over what these children have gone thru .barretto has sat and listened to each one coming to him for help and justice . lord have mercy .
frustrated

Conroe, TX

#12 Apr 24, 2012
At anytime has anyone asked how this girl is doing? I take that as a NO !!!! Bandera is a town that nreds ti grow up put there big girl panties on and do the right thing . What the hell does it take for that county. To wake up , U can commit murder ,rape, or any crime in Bandera county and get away with it wow . Put up the welcome sign. Hate to think what really happens behind close doors
brenda

Devine, TX

#13 Apr 25, 2012
you are exactly right !! but there are those of us who think about this little girl EVERYDAY and know what she is going thru ,we are outraged ! bandera is too scared to stand up and fight ,they would rather watch the show quietly and not bring attention to themselves ! they better PRAY thier child isnt next because it will only get worse . the one man who went above and beyond to fight these dirty officials for the kids is leaving ,he had the balls to go against the county and DA ! no one stepped up to help him or back him up and now we are losing him many kids will will never see justice without him . payne had compromised the case long before baretto asked for help. our cases and victims depended on this one man ,WE had been fighting for YEARS and now we have nothing ,no one can REPLACE this one man . one child in paticular has been suffering in a prison cell for the last 7 years and barreto may have been his only hope !!!!
Truth

Lima, OH

#14 Apr 25, 2012
Lindig had no business talking with Barreta!!! In fact, Payne was put in a unthinkable position with his client and handeled it with professionalism. Barreta sounds like he was searching for justice and hitting walls, however, I reitterate Lindig had no bussiness getting invollved. Did the little girls mother hire her or ask her that she be giving information about the case? As a mother of a 12yr daughter that was a sexual victim I wanted number 1. for my daughter to be ok and privacy.2. I wanted the young man to be accountable and to get help for his actions and 3 forgiveness because that truly was the start of healing. I am sure Payne, Lindig , Barreta and all invollved want justice for this little girl and I don't believe for one minute that any person invollved with this case would want anything different. Our case was investigated, tried and proscuted in less than 1 yr. The grandmother wrote us a heart felt letter and the perpatrator asked for forgiveness and my daughter forgave. Our world is so far off the moral compass on every leval. I pray we hold on to what is good and right.
brenda

Devine, TX

#15 Apr 25, 2012
no one is taking up for jenna ,we all agree she had no business involving herself . as a victims of sexual assult my self ,my sisters ,my niece and nephew,i know the true nature of the county and distict attorneys . payne threw my mother out of his office when she asked for HELP for my niece and nephew ! he is no diffrent from curry or wadsworth ! i am glad you got justice . but for all of us still fighting the courts to do what is right and fair . you have no idea what we are going thru and how dare you make it look so fair and simple when it is not ,count your lucky stars . my 6 year old niece was being repeatedly raped while her mother was in the next room sleeping or passed out ! privacy is a convenience we learned to live without beause our focus is justice for the kids ,not lawsuits ,people talk and there is nothing anyone can do about it unless you want to lose focus on the bigger picture ,THE CHILDREN . THERE WILL BE NO FORGIVENESS IN OUR CASE ,I HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN HELL !
frustrated

Conroe, TX

#16 Apr 25, 2012
Brenda I feel for u and understand. I am sorry for all girls and boys who are assaulted in any way . For Bandera offices how dare u close ur eyes and ears to children who r CONVICTED WRONGFULLY AND U ALL CALL URSRLFS PARENTS ,To the parents of the boys who r accused of this crime YES ITS A CRIME,Shame on u I would be ambaressed and ashamed . But ni ur too caught up in politics rather than helping a young girl WHO IS THE INNOCENT ONE
brenda

Devine, TX

#17 Apr 26, 2012
frustrated wrote:
Brenda I feel for u and understand. I am sorry for all girls and boys who are assaulted in any way . For Bandera offices how dare u close ur eyes and ears to children who r CONVICTED WRONGFULLY AND U ALL CALL URSRLFS PARENTS ,To the parents of the boys who r accused of this crime YES ITS A CRIME,Shame on u I would be ambaressed and ashamed . But ni ur too caught up in politics rather than helping a young girl WHO IS THE INNOCENT ONE
THANK YOU , and you are right ,focus should be on the children not politics ! had this been a child of thiers i guarantee justice would be swift . these kids are depending on the very ones who are stalling and playing games .
SHADOW

Canyon Lake, TX

#18 Apr 26, 2012
brenda wrote:
<quoted text> THANK YOU , and you are right ,focus should be on the children not politics ! had this been a child of thiers i guarantee justice would be swift . these kids are depending on the very ones who are stalling and playing games .
I heard one of out old Sheriff's son was having sex with a 16 year old girl and it was but under the carpet because the girl consented.
WTH a 16 year old girl can't concent.
It is called statutory rape---rape by statute
brenda

Devine, TX

#19 Apr 26, 2012
i was told the same thing . sooo sad .
brenda

Devine, TX

#20 Apr 26, 2012
question ... why is janna sueing the courier ? what did the courier do ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bandera Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More great entertainment coming tomorrow from t... 32 min Anonymous 5
Cleaning Up Ham Radio in San Antonio (Aug '10) 1 hr Randy 6,634
Heartbreaking realization 3 hr Karma2pay 2
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! 4 hr Mr Mackey 3
La tranny from Califas came out of the closet o... 5 hr Bless u too 5
La tranny from Califas is upset now everyone kn... 5 hr Wow 4
Loan shark (Feb '13) 6 hr Mervin thomas 52

Bandera Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance