Arrest made in child's 2001 slaying

Arrest made in child's 2001 slaying

There are 41 comments on the San Antonio Express-News story from Aug 9, 2008, titled Arrest made in child's 2001 slaying. In it, San Antonio Express-News reports that:

Nearly seven years after 22-month-old Cheriko Ressler died from head trauma, Bandera County investigators on Friday arrested his mother's former housemate, Steven Veselka, on a charge of capital murder.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Antonio Express-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Carlene Jackson

Austin, TX

#1 Aug 10, 2008
I am Cheriko Russler's grandmother, he called me Nana. I am so thankful that something has finilly been done in the death of my grandson. I want to thank the people that made this happen. It took seven years for my prayers to be answered, and I pray that justice for my grandson will come from the arest of Steven Veselka.But what ever happens, he will still have to met his maker one day! God bless, Carlene Jackson
anonymous

Kerrville, TX

#2 Aug 16, 2008
innocent until proven guilty
Concerned citizen

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 21, 2008
anonymous wrote:
innocent until proven guilty
I agree completly with the anonymous person who wrote "innocent until proven guilty".
That is what our judicial system was set up for, to determine innnocence or guilt. This is not for the general public to decide that do not have all of the facts before them.
Roger Sullivan

Fredericksburg, TX

#4 Sep 4, 2008
Concerned and anonymous would you think differently if it was you child or grandchild?
Granted our sometimes inept court system will make the final decision but I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion.
Remember OJ Simpson and the DNA put before a jury that had "all the facts before them" and they couldn't understand the evidence they were looking at, so even people with all the facts make mistakes also.
crooked is not the word2

Kerrville, TX

#5 Sep 11, 2008
i meet steve, meet him in Feb of this year watched
him and jason stewart do some MAJOR drug dealing who he hangs with speaks for itself.Jason was there when that happened in 2001. he should be held accountable also. Guilty by association.
Concerned citizen

Houston, TX

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Roger Sullivan wrote:
Concerned and anonymous would you think differently if it was you child or grandchild?
Granted our sometimes inept court system will make the final decision but I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion.
Remember OJ Simpson and the DNA put before a jury that had "all the facts before them" and they couldn't understand the evidence they were looking at, so even people with all the facts make mistakes also.
I do have children and grandchildren and I know that this family must have suffered a great loss. AT the same time I'm sure they want the right person to be punished.

The person that is accused of this is also someones son and grandson and I am sure this family is also suffering great pain at this time. This is why it is so important that this person receives a fair trial, not one based on pre-determined opinions that have been fueled by the media and comments by people that probably don't really know what happened.

Granted, our judicial system is not perfect, but it is all we have.
Roger Sullivan

Fredericksburg, TX

#7 Sep 26, 2008
Now Concerned citizen follow closely, I said
"Concerned and anonymous would you think differently if it was you child or grandchild"? That was a question. I did not ask you if you had children, but rather if the dead child was yours would you think differently? Unless you are completely uncaring for your family you would most certainly feel just like the grandmother, right or wrong. All I read from the grandmother post was "I pray that justice for my grandson will come" from this arrest.
The woman who made the first post was the child's grandmother so give it a break.
There are enough facts out there developed over some seven years to make Bandera County Sheriff Weldon Tucker make the following statement.

"There's no doubt in my mind that he's going to be convicted,” Tucker said of Veselka.“We have more evidence than we did before.”

If you want to start preaching start with the man in charge of the investigation who made that statement.
I really don't think Steven Veselka could get a fair trial now if his life depended on it, and it does.
Everyone reading this outrageous statement by Bandera County Sheriff Weldon B.Tucker should personally write or speak to him and express your concerns for his irresponsible behavior in this case. Saying he can almost promise a conviction should make every citizen concerned. Sheriff Tucker may just have that kind of evidence but pre-trial statements like that are just wrong from a professional lawman. It's just the law in the wild west. You can thank Bandera County Sheriff Weldon Tucker for that and you should let him know how you feel also.
As far as your statement about "opinions that have been fueled by the media and comments by people that probably don't really know what happened", I am relatively sure the grandmother knows what happened, her grandson was murdered and who knows maybe the immediate family has been advised of the facts by the Sheriff.
Concerned citizen

Houston, TX

#8 Sep 26, 2008
First of all I was not really addressing what the grandmother wrote. I understand that she is still greiving. I am mostly referring to what has been said on the news,(as you pointed out), other websites, and also just the local gossip.

If this was their son I don't believe they would be so quick to come to a conclusion.
SHADOW

Fredericksburg, TX

#9 Sep 27, 2008
So what do you think about DA Bruce Curry and Bandera County Sheriff Tucker conclusions and statements??
If Tucker with his lame investigative skills was able to ask for and get a true bill from the grand jury there is probably evidence to show reason to hold the man over for trial.
anny

Vilonia, AR

#10 Sep 28, 2008
when is trail
anonymous

Kerrville, TX

#11 Oct 2, 2008
crooked is not the word2 wrote:
i meet steve, meet him in Feb of this year watched
him and jason stewart do some MAJOR drug dealing who he hangs with speaks for itself.Jason was there when that happened in 2001. he should be held accountable also. Guilty by association.
you know, i found this website by accident. I typed in my best friends name to see what would pop up and i found this forum. so i would like to comment on a few. i have known steve for over 15 yrs and i know he is not capable of this. he is someone's son and his mother, family, and friends are grieving. Kerrville and Bandera are one in the same around here. The d.a. plays golf with the judge and the a.d.a. marries the baliff. and the dopefene from d.c. what does it tell us about your character that you sat around and watched "MAJOR drug dealing" shouldnt you be guilty by association also? and last time i checked "MAJOR drug dealing" didnt make you a murderer!
SHADOW

Fredericksburg, TX

#12 Oct 2, 2008
You say you know steve is not capable of this crime because you have known him for 15 years.
Hope you know something no one else knows because it is hard to get DA bruce Curry to prosecute something if he has the least doubt about winning.
If ou have ever been chosen for the Grand Jury and sat in there while Curry puts on his little presentation you would know what I mean. The members of the Grand Jury look to Curry for guidance and guide he does. Since Curry has such influence over the Jury we might just as well give the power to Curry and stop wasting tme.
Curry is one of the most un caring people I have ever met, a true career politian. He has been there too long. When defence attorneys et behind him in elections it is clear he is not an overly agressive DA. The attorneys like him because he is so loose and easy unless he thinks he can get a conviction and then he is a pit bull.
He is a total embarrassment to the 216th district and should retire now. He may have been a good man in the beginning but that was a long time ago believe me.
anonymous

Kerrville, TX

#13 Oct 2, 2008
SHADOW wrote:
You say you know steve is not capable of this crime because you have known him for 15 years.
Hope you know something no one else knows because it is hard to get DA bruce Curry to prosecute something if he has the least doubt about winning.
If ou have ever been chosen for the Grand Jury and sat in there while Curry puts on his little presentation you would know what I mean. The members of the Grand Jury look to Curry for guidance and guide he does. Since Curry has such influence over the Jury we might just as well give the power to Curry and stop wasting tme.
Curry is one of the most un caring people I have ever met, a true career politian. He has been there too long. When defence attorneys et behind him in elections it is clear he is not an overly agressive DA. The attorneys like him because he is so loose and easy unless he thinks he can get a conviction and then he is a pit bull.
He is a total embarrassment to the 216th district and should retire now. He may have been a good man in the beginning but that was a long time ago believe me.
shadow? curiosity being what it may. You seem some what educated, are you an attorney? Because to be in the grand jury room you are either an attorney or criminal or witness and i am just wondering which? and yes i know and have encountered mr.curry on several occasions. and so has steve another reason he will not recieve a fair trial. the judicial system here isnt like anywhere else. guaranteed had this been presented to a grand jury in houston or dallas, there would have been no indictment. the mother of this baby is koo koo from sort of accident one of the people that was there at the house died in a skateboarding accident. so i would like to know how they plan to convict someone of capital murder when there is no way to present all the witness's. or account of there wherabouts?
SHADOW

Fredericksburg, TX

#14 Oct 2, 2008
I'll take your comment about my education as a compliment. I must however correct your statement about who is allowed in the Grand Jury room. You say I would have to be either an attorney or criminal or witness and you are just wondering which? Well you left out one very important person who could also be in that room, how about a member of the Grand Jury? I am not an attorney or witness or criminal but have seen the inner sanctum.
When you speak of guaranteeing a no bill somewhere else you would have to know the specifics of what was presented to the jury and then you could not guarantee what a sitting Grand Jury would do. They are just twelve people with two alternates trying to see if there is enough evidence to bind the accussed over for trial. They in no way render a plea as the jury in his trial will do. Something presented or explained to them by Curry led them to believe there was enouh evidence to indict Steve.
I fear your friend is in serious trouble in this district court. Once Curry starts a case like this he will go to the gates of hell for a conviction. The only time the lazy SOB will work for something.
As for evidence they can always fabricate some if none exists and they have been known to get caught doing just that.
By the way where has Steve encountered Curry?
Where did the scateboard accident happen and when that killed one of the people at the house?
Enjoyed the talk.
anny

Vilonia, AR

#15 Oct 2, 2008
once again when is trail?
SHADOW

Fredericksburg, TX

#16 Oct 2, 2008
anny go check the court documents yourself this is not a help line. I don't think a date has been set
anonymous

Kerrville, TX

#17 Oct 2, 2008
anny wrote:
once again when is trail?
he went to court today for prelim. next is on oct 30th..
anny

Vilonia, AR

#18 Oct 2, 2008
I realize its not a help line. just thought I'd check with all of you stupid mother.......s. Havn't heard one of express sorrow for the lose of a child. Yea it's just a life don't worry about it. But at least you can keep bickering back and forth to make you feel better.I'm sure god is very pleased with all of you. the drug addicts, the crooked police, and the people that just love to share in the misery.
anonymous

Kerrville, TX

#19 Oct 2, 2008
SHADOW wrote:
I'll take your comment about my education as a compliment. I must however correct your statement about who is allowed in the Grand Jury room. You say I would have to be either an attorney or criminal or witness and you are just wondering which? Well you left out one very important person who could also be in that room, how about a member of the Grand Jury? I am not an attorney or witness or criminal but have seen the inner sanctum.
When you speak of guaranteeing a no bill somewhere else you would have to know the specifics of what was presented to the jury and then you could not guarantee what a sitting Grand Jury would do. They are just twelve people with two alternates trying to see if there is enough evidence to bind the accussed over for trial. They in no way render a plea as the jury in his trial will do. Something presented or explained to them by Curry led them to believe there was enouh evidence to indict Steve.
I fear your friend is in serious trouble in this district court. Once Curry starts a case like this he will go to the gates of hell for a conviction. The only time the lazy SOB will work for something.
As for evidence they can always fabricate some if none exists and they have been known to get caught doing just that.
By the way where has Steve encountered Curry?
Where did the scateboard accident happen and when that killed one of the people at the house?
Enjoyed the talk.
the skateboard thing happened in kerrville. i didnt quite understand the rest of that sentence. was it a typo?and yes i am aware of how mr curry can set his sights on something and stop at nothing to get it. but, its not hard for the da around her to get their way. i mean they are all friends. even the defense att. around here are good friends with the prosecutors. if you are in jail in kerr county and recieve a public defender. ur screwed.luckily steve doesnt have a public defender. or anyone from around here.and as for the grand jury this case was put before the grand jury once a month for several yrs to no avail. i cant go into details but, this is all very unbelievable to me. i guess just being his friend and knowing him for so long i cant believe its happening. everynite i up researching and thinking about it. and his family so devastated. his mom cant even carry on a proper conversation. there are so many details not revealed in all these articles, you know the one's that cast that shadow. everyone just reads what the officials are sputtering out. and think of steve as just another horrible person in the world. and he isnt. im not saying he is some church boy. but, he is no child abuser or murderer.
SHADOW

Fredericksburg, TX

#20 Oct 3, 2008
anny, I am sure God is pleased with your trash mouth as well. Do you eat with that same mouth?? That kind of language is completely uncalled for and not appreciated.

Anonymous, I know the loss and helpless feelings you are having now, I have been there.
I didn't know they had been taking this to the grand jury over and over.
Bandera County Sheriff Tucker made statements like new evidence just surfaced that was not available at the time of the childs death. That could very well be code for we found someone who will lie for us. This snitch thing is becomming all to familiar. The Sheriff arrests some poor fool with some dope and threatens to give him a life sentence unless he gives them some information. When you squeeze these kinds of people there is no telling what they will say.
I know for a fact Bandera Sheriff uses and approves of this form of investigation. If you know your friends attorney you might suggest they investigate where and how Tucker came up with this "new evidence".
The death on the skateboard sounded like a death in Pipe Creek a few years ago. That death involved a Bandera deputy hitting a kid in his patrol car just thought it might be the same, evidentally not but thanks anyway.

anny, the child and family are in all of our thoughts and prayers that why the posting continues, we all exchange information and our knowledge grow and expands as we try to understand what is happening here. Keep reading!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bandera Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cleaning Up Ham Radio in San Antonio (Aug '10) 25 min Mexican 8,089
Did Anybody Get Kilt in Your Illegal Smuggling 2 hr Pancho 16
Fat Shaming the Donald PT.2 7 hr Pancho 23
The hot girl from Lowes 9 hr DC Dave 8
News A call for change as human smugglinga Read Stor... 21 hr Ronald 35
Treasure box Mon Marco Polo 2
No Plea Bargain For Micheal Paul Odom (Jun '11) Jun '17 SHADOW 56

Bandera Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bandera Mortgages