Western Wisconsin / Officials ask DOT to support Lift Bridge

Full story: TwinCities.com
Wisconsin needs to join Minnesota in making the Stillwater Lift Bridge a transportation funding priority, a bipartisan group of western Wisconsin lawmakers said Friday. Read more
Area Resident

United States

#1 Jul 12, 2008
Just like their mentors in Washington, the hard line Republican legislators in St. Croix County put the interests of their primary constituency ahead of the health and well being of their residents. To "hell" with the St. Croix River. Take away the Federal protection status. Haul over more people to buy lots of land speculators and increase business for local contractors and bankers. Is it really a good idea to have people drivng 60 miles R/T to work every day to save $50,000 on an oversized, cheap tract house on a bulldozered corn field. A person drives 30 miles home and has a neighbor living 10 feet away, or less !! What is wrong with this picture. St. Paul fills up its vacant houses with immigrants from refugee camps in So. Asia and Eastern Africa, as well as Detroit, Gary, Memphis and Chicago. St. Croix County is trying to fill itself up with the American refugees from the gang wars of St. Paul, that as we can see are rapidly spreading into Maplewood, Oakdale, and soon to Woodbury. Any resident of St. Croix County who actually likes living and working there should be picketting to block the hoards of fleeing residents from Minnesota, who can't tolerate the crime and can't afford to stay move elsewhere in Minnesota.
Yosh

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jul 13, 2008
Huh? What area do you, "Area Resident" live in? You certainly aren't describing the Saint Paul I've lived in my whole life.

With regard to bridges, why is it that Minnesota assumes responsibility for all the bridges to Wisconsin? Minnesota is paying for the Winona bridge repairs and temporary ferry system, and seems to be taking care of the lift bridge issue in Stillwater. Shouldn't Wisconsin pay for half of this?
Herman

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jul 14, 2008
Yosh I think Minnesota and Wisconsin share the cost of all of these bridges. The Federal gov. pays 80% which spreads the cost to every tax payer in the nation.

Area Resident The population spread is happening and not building a bridge will not stop it. You need to deal with reality. You only hear Minnesota news coverage and they always put a local spin on the news.
typical hypocrit

Rogers, MN

#5 Jul 15, 2008
Area resident...evidently you can choose to live whereever you want to but no one else can??? Who made you king of St Croix County?? The bridge issue is more then just gas, etc. it is a Death trap wating to happen. i certainly hope you or your family isn't on it soemday and the thing collapses just like the 35W bridge. But then again saving a tree or two I guess is more valuable than a human life is.
Herman

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jul 15, 2008
If you go to down town Stillwater on a Friday afternoon, the traffic is backed up to Bayport because of all of the Minnesota cars heading to the cabin. I suppose you think they should sell their cabins and quit driveing on the weekend?
Area Resident wrote:
Just like their mentors in Washington, the hard line Republican legislators in St. Croix County put the interests of their primary constituency ahead of the health and well being of their residents. To "hell" with the St. Croix River. Take away the Federal protection status. Haul over more people to buy lots of land speculators and increase business for local contractors and bankers. Is it really a good idea to have people drivng 60 miles R/T to work every day to save $50,000 on an oversized, cheap tract house on a bulldozered corn field. A person drives 30 miles home and has a neighbor living 10 feet away, or less !! What is wrong with this picture. St. Paul fills up its vacant houses with immigrants from refugee camps in So. Asia and Eastern Africa, as well as Detroit, Gary, Memphis and Chicago. St. Croix County is trying to fill itself up with the American refugees from the gang wars of St. Paul, that as we can see are rapidly spreading into Maplewood, Oakdale, and soon to Woodbury. Any resident of St. Croix County who actually likes living and working there should be picketting to block the hoards of fleeing residents from Minnesota, who can't tolerate the crime and can't afford to stay move elsewhere in Minnesota.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Balsam Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
arnell humane society Mar 26 pafrey 1
hottest women in Amery Mar 20 rizzo 1
News Body of missing Wisconsin toddler found in trun... (Jul '13) Mar 13 Jess 5
News 7-year-old leukemia patient Jacob Burns, of Osc... (Mar '10) Jul '14 Its me Jacob 16
New Richmond Police under Federal Investigation (May '13) Jul '14 Bill 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Wisconsin ... (Oct '10) Jun '12 A T ind 31
Fiscal Responsibility (Aug '11) Aug '11 Vote America 1
Balsam Lake Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Balsam Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]