Wisconsin town brainstorms economic life after Polaris

Full story: TwinCities.com

Several hundred people gathered Thursday night at a town hall meeting with questions about the future in the wake of news that Polaris plans to close its production plant here within two years, cutting more than 500 jobs.
Comments
1 - 20 of 85 Comments Last updated Sep 19, 2010
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MONORAIL ISTHEANSWER

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

TPAW should have Polaris move the jobs to Minneapolis! I am tired of WI stealing jobs from MN!

Since: Apr 08

Saint Croix Falls, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

3

MONORAIL ISTHEANSWER wrote:
TPAW should have Polaris move the jobs to Minneapolis! I am tired of WI stealing jobs from MN!
So much for the MYTHICAL Minnesota NICE. MN the land of 10000 taxes and a DFL dominated government without a clue.
BLACK WIDOW

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

The state needs to assist existing Osceola businesses with expansion. One such company is Renteck. They have contracts to produce parts for fortune 500 companies, but until now, obtaining financing for expansion has been difficult, because banks are not lending. The banks are getting cheap money through the Fed and then letting it earn much haigher rates, without lending it out. Thats why the bank profits have been so high in the last 6 months. Wisconsin needs to assist those businesses they already have and then seek new ones!
Jim Bob

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

Perhaps the plant can be converted to manufacturing bicycles. The new Amery to Dresser trail is going to generate a ton of interest in non motorized activites.

"Your reap what you sow"
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Hats to to Mayor Demulling for apologizing to the Polaris employees that some tonight chose to use the open mic as a sounding board to take shots at the officials. That comment from her got the loudest applause all night.

Tom, Bill and Margo should be embarrassed.
Wizconie

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Jim Bob wrote:
Perhaps the plant can be converted to manufacturing bicycles. The new Amery to Dresser trail is going to generate a ton of interest in non motorized activites.
"Your reap what you sow"
You're absolutely right. Ann Hraychuck took both sides on the trail issue a few years ago then jumped on the winning side when it went nonmotorized-now there's some leadership! What slap in the face to Polaris. We have this trail that would link nearly the entire north half of the state and MN for snowmobiling and not allow atvs or snow machines when it passes within two miles of one of the worlds largest manufacturers of these items. Now she says she'll work to try and keep Polaris here? It's way too late now. She should have been supportive of Polaris all along.
There was another big mistake made by state and local officials about 5 yrs ago. Polaris was looking to build a research and testing area and needed about 500 acres. They found some landowners southeast of Osceola who would be interested in selling to them. Polaris then approached Polk County, the DNR, State etc about permits and zoning issues. County and state were so negative and slow to respond that Wyoming MN jumped on the opportunity and Polaris built there.
Should we really be suprised they're leaving? It seems like maybe they weren't appreciated here!
JOBZ

Saint Martin, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

If you agree to get the taxpayers to give my company a free loan and no taxes for seven years and to support my candidacy for president, I will send you another MN employer...our benefits for corporate friends is ending soon and someone will come to save you and provide low pay jobs with few beneifits...
God will never send you more than you can handle.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Wizconie wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely right. Ann Hraychuck took both sides on the trail issue a few years ago then jumped on the winning side when it went nonmotorized-now there's some leadership! What slap in the face to Polaris. We have this trail that would link nearly the entire north half of the state and MN for snowmobiling and not allow atvs or snow machines when it passes within two miles of one of the worlds largest manufacturers of these items. Now she says she'll work to try and keep Polaris here? It's way too late now. She should have been supportive of Polaris all along.
There was another big mistake made by state and local officials about 5 yrs ago. Polaris was looking to build a research and testing area and needed about 500 acres. They found some landowners southeast of Osceola who would be interested in selling to them. Polaris then approached Polk County, the DNR, State etc about permits and zoning issues. County and state were so negative and slow to respond that Wyoming MN jumped on the opportunity and Polaris built there.
Should we really be suprised they're leaving? It seems like maybe they weren't appreciated here!
Obviously you are again misinformed or was not at the meeting.
Ann and Obey were at the Polaris plant less than 3 mo ago and not a word was said by Polaris about any future plans for the plant.
As was said by the Gov's official last night, Ann was instrumental in changing the states trail laws to accept the new wider ATV's that Polaris was making. You have the research plant history incorrect too.

The entire 620-acre building site is in a Jobs Opportunity Building Zones (JOBZ), which if approved would qualify the company for up to 12 years of local and state tax exemptions.

* Through the Minnesota Investment Fund, the state will provide an interest-free loan of $500,000 for 10 years to help cover the costs of the expansion.

* Through the Greater Minnesota Business Development Infrastructure Grant Program, the state will provide a grant of $1 million to reroute a county road around the perimeter of the property.

* Through the Minnesota Job Skills Partnership program, the state will work with Polaris to support a customized training program at the Wyoming facility.

The incentives, said Governor Pawlenty, were critical to the company's decision to expand in Minnesota. "These are exactly the kind of jobs and the high-quality work that we need to invest in and retain for Minnesota to remain competitive and for our economy to grow," he said.

Wis had proposed things too but were over bid by MN. Slow and negative is not accurate..If you are going to post that then you HAVE to support it..
g-shaun

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

A VERY SAD DAY -- SORRY TO SEE THIS HAPPEN BUTS IT LIKE EVERY THING ELSE --WE NOW LIVE IN A GLOBAL WORLD--- THE UNIONS HAVE RAISED THE RATE OF PAY SO HIGH IN THIS COUNTRY AND THE COST OF LIVING WE CAN NO LONGER COMPETE EVEN THOUGH THESE ARENT UNION FOLKS --IF THEY WERE THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED YEARS AGO-- WE ARE JUST LIKE ENGLAND BACK IN THE EARLY 70S WHEN THE UNIONS SHUT DOWN ALL OF THEIR MANUFACTURING--- THEN TO CAP IT OFF -- BILL CLINTON SIGHNING HIS NAFTA BILL WAS THE FINAL NAIL!!!!!!!! REMEMBER THE PHOTOS -- I SURE DO
Wizconie

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Grandpa Favre wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are again misinformed or was not at the meeting.
Ann and Obey were at the Polaris plant less than 3 mo ago and not a word was said by Polaris about any future plans for the plant.
As was said by the Gov's official last night, Ann was instrumental in changing the states trail laws to accept the new wider ATV's that Polaris was making. You have the research plant history incorrect too.
The entire 620-acre building site is in a Jobs Opportunity Building Zones (JOBZ), which if approved would qualify the company for up to 12 years of local and state tax exemptions.
* Through the Minnesota Investment Fund, the state will provide an interest-free loan of $500,000 for 10 years to help cover the costs of the expansion.
* Through the Greater Minnesota Business Development Infrastructure Grant Program, the state will provide a grant of $1 million to reroute a county road around the perimeter of the property.
* Through the Minnesota Job Skills Partnership program, the state will work with Polaris to support a customized training program at the Wyoming facility.
The incentives, said Governor Pawlenty, were critical to the company's decision to expand in Minnesota. "These are exactly the kind of jobs and the high-quality work that we need to invest in and retain for Minnesota to remain competitive and for our economy to grow," he said.
Wis had proposed things too but were over bid by MN. Slow and negative is not accurate..If you are going to post that then you HAVE to support it..
I was not at the meeting last night. Had another committment and don't care it's too late. Political cosmetics at best. I was however involved with the possible expansion several years ago. Believe me, slow and negative were exactly the local and state officials response. Everyone knew that Wyoming was ready and anxious to jump on it. Polaris wanted to build near Horse Creek but kept Wyoming in the background as insurance and to make sure people on this side would move things quickly and keep pricing reasonable. They didn't so we lost.

Please tell me what has been done locally to support Polaris.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

It is not political cosmetics at all. It is reality to those in Osceola and Polaris. Those officials there explained what will and can be done to find new employers or no employment. How were you involved in the Research plant? EVERY report post decision was that MN simply offered a better deal.( OR MORE $) DEF contract Via Obey, changing of the laws about ATV with on Wis trails.

Again I ask you to post something, anything to support your slow and negative comment because you are the ONLY person that I have ever heard say that.
I live in Osceola, how and follow the area, development very closely. I think you frankly are making it up.
Wizconie

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

As far as I know nothing official on paper ever happened-it never got to that point. Ask local land owners, town boards etc. discussions and negotiating did happen. Building near Osceola was looked at. An area South of town along 35 was preffered but owners weren't willing to sell at that point or wanted rediculous $. That is when local and state officials should have jumped in. An area near horse creek was being considered because the owners(I think it was 3 families) were willing to sell. I admit that there were several problems with the HC sight-too many homes close by cedar lake, low and wet lands that would have been altered, hoop after hoop. And so Wyoming got it.

Do you really believe Ann H on this issue?
Libertarian

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"Wisconsin town brainstorms economic life after Polaris"

Job #1 is to vote out all Democrats and liberals.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

I have no reason not to, she was a fine sheriff and has done alright by me in Madison. She is respected in the area and in Madison. The speakers from Madison backed that up last night with lists of what local gov has done in Madison for jobs in NW wis. You were not there so obviously did not here it.

What part of Ann's statement do you not believe?
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 11, 2010
 
Libertarian wrote:
"Wisconsin town brainstorms economic life after Polaris"
Job #1 is to vote out all Democrats and liberals.
Save your banter and address the problem and solution.
Some look forward at the deck a business decision gave them while others run their mouths. Which are you ?
Rock

Littleton, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 11, 2010
 
I have done nothing but support Polaris by buying their Built in the USA products.If they want to move jobs over the border I will turn to Artic Cat for my snowmobiles.Sick and tired of these co. putting hard working Americans out of work for their greed.Last time I checked Polaris was profitable without moving jobs out of the country.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 11, 2010
 
Wizconie wrote:
A An area South of town along 35 was preffered but owners weren't willing to sell at that point or wanted rediculous $.
The land in Wyoming was no cheaper, think about it. Near the interstate and perhaps 30 from HQ. Fact is that the state of MN bought the land, made major improvements including closing a Co. highway. The price of the land east of 35 was not the deal breaker, nor the pace of those involved.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 11, 2010
 
Rock wrote:
I have done nothing but support Polaris by buying their Built in the USA products.If they want to move jobs over the border I will turn to Artic Cat for my snowmobiles.Sick and tired of these co. putting hard working Americans out of work for their greed.Last time I checked Polaris was profitable without moving jobs out of the country.
I tend to agree. I read someplace that Polaris will save $30 mil with this move PER YEAR. So who gets that ? The stockholders?
Wizconie

Amery, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 11, 2010
 
Grandpa Favre wrote:
<quoted text>
The land in Wyoming was no cheaper, think about it. Near the interstate and perhaps 30 from HQ. Fact is that the state of MN bought the land, made major improvements including closing a Co. highway. The price of the land east of 35 was not the deal breaker, nor the pace of those involved.
You're right on the price. The state and local regulations taxes etc were more the issue than price. Point is MN jumped at the chance to help and WI didn't. I believe pace certaily was an issue. Polaris recognized that it could drag out in WI for years while MN streamlined things for them. It made choosing Wyoming simple and obvious. But Osceola was looked at too.

Hraychuck has done us well?!? Check out the competitive wage bill she helped pass. Complete nightmare for local govt and adds tons of costs to each and every road project no matter the size. Also took small local contractors out of the bidding process. But she did help several unions and their members with that law.

Take a look at the amount of budget increse while she was sheriff and some of the unnecessary purchases- like a mobile command center that has NEVER been used. Too much to go into and no time. Compare your RE tax to 15yrs ago and rethink.
Grandpa Favre

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 11, 2010
 
Wizconie wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right on the price. The state and local regulations taxes etc were more the issue than price. Point is MN jumped at the chance to help and WI didn't. I believe pace certaily was an issue. Polaris recognized that it could drag out in WI for years while MN streamlined things for them. It made choosing Wyoming simple and obvious. But Osceola was looked at too.
Hraychuck has done us well?!? Check out the competitive wage bill she helped pass. Complete nightmare for local govt and adds tons of costs to each and every road project no matter the size. Also took small local contractors out of the bidding process. But she did help several unions and their members with that law.
Take a look at the amount of budget increse while she was sheriff and some of the unnecessary purchases- like a mobile command center that has NEVER been used. Too much to go into and no time. Compare your RE tax to 15yrs ago and rethink.
You seem to be revising history.
The MCC was used a number of times. I DO know that it was used at the mud race deal at Trollhaugen a number of years when that was a wild place to be with underage drinking. It is totally unfair to hand RE taxes over the last 15 years on Ann. I do not have MY figures in front of me but honestly, over the last 5/8 years in Osceola they have been pretty stable.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Balsam Lake Discussions

Search the Balsam Lake Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 16 hr Teabilly Heaven 7,012
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 19 hr BOBBY 452
7-year-old leukemia patient Jacob Burns, of Osc... (Mar '10) Jul 27 Its me Jacob 16
New Richmond Police under Federal Investigation (May '13) Jul 13 Bill 5
Rural hospitals could lose special Medicare pay... (Sep '13) Jul 9 Attention HHS 6
Body of missing Wisconsin toddler found in trun... (Jul '13) Jul '14 Jess 2
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
•••
•••
•••
•••

Balsam Lake Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Balsam Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Balsam Lake News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Balsam Lake
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••