When did Raynors Cabin Restaurant close?

Posted in the Baldwin Forum

captfantastic197 2

United States

#1 Feb 9, 2006
Does anyone know when did Raynors Cabin on Sunrise Highway close?
Renee Gordon

Mesa, AZ

#2 Jun 14, 2008
I remember going to Raynors in the 50's. I loved their fried chicken. Cant remember much of the place, but it was one of my favorite places in the world. Too bad it had to close..Old times there were the best.
Renee Gordon

Mesa, AZ

#3 Jun 14, 2008
I remember Raynors cabin grill from the 590's. I lived in Valle Stream and would go there on dates. Too bad it had to close. Old times there were the best.
paul

West Palm Beach, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2011
Raynoors had the best salad dressing in the world. They used to bottle it and sell it. Does anyone have the recipe?? Paul
George

United States

#5 Apr 4, 2011
The salad dressing, corn fritters, and fried chicken were all among the best I've ever had in my life. Is there any way to get the recipes for any of these three items? Maybe the biscuits? Maybe re-open the restaurant...please?
Andy

New York, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2012
Chicken Maryland. O M G with the bacon and white sauce...

Damn it I miss Raay Nors!
suski35

New York, NY

#7 Jul 4, 2012
paul wrote:
Raynoors had the best salad dressing in the world. They used to bottle it and sell it. Does anyone have the recipe?? Paul
Wasn't that salad dressing the best? I think I found the formula...I add garlic powder (not garlic salt) to french dressing. It tasted just like their dressing!!!
levy

San Diego, CA

#8 Sep 9, 2012
The corn fritters were the best.
murrayboy

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 11, 2012
I'm 31, I remember eating there as a kid every Sunday. The owners were very friendly. From what I heard the owners, husband and wife were very sick.
Steve

United States

#10 Dec 13, 2012
My mother's first cousin, Marty Gilbert, married the Raynor's daughter. Back in the 50s we would often go there for big family get togethers and if I'm not mistaken, the reason the chicken was so outrageous was the process..."Broasting, " which was a pressure cooker fryer. I've never had better fried chicken, and that includes living in the south for many years.
Andrea

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Apr 5, 2013
We used to go to Raynors for years until the 80's when I moved out of Nassau County. We just adored their food, mainly the chicken. Even when my mom was dying at So. Nassau hospital we'd stop there to bring her their chicken. there was also one out in Suffolk County - i think near Smithtown? Not sure now.
DDB

Morristown, NJ

#12 May 3, 2013
Steve wrote:
My mother's first cousin, Marty Gilbert, married the Raynor's daughter. Back in the 50s we would often go there for big family get togethers and if I'm not mistaken, the reason the chicken was so outrageous was the process..."Broasting, " which was a pressure cooker fryer. I've never had better fried chicken, and that includes living in the south for many years.
So, can't Marty get the recipes for us??:)
marilynn

United States

#13 Nov 16, 2013
Steve,
Can you find out the original question on this post from Marty? When did it close? I grew up about 5 minutes from Raynor's and we went ever week. it was the best. One member of my family says she went there up until a few years ago, but i think it has been closed for 10 to 20 years now.
Eric

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Feb 27, 2014
My parents and later, my family, were regular patrons from the early 1950's through the 70's, maybe early 80's, When mom and dad first started to go, they said a complete meal was $1.25 The salad was great, the biscuits were fresh and hot (and the jams were great), the fried chicken the best I've ever had (then or since), and I remember as a kid stacking the Raynors sugar cubes while we waited between courses. I think i remember prces more like 7.95 or 8.95 by the late 1970's Regardless, absolutely my fav family restauarnt. I've lived in Philly for the past 32 years but I'd go back to Baldwin if Raynors was still there and serving the same food. I have a hunch the meal would be like $28.95, but it was good enough to command that price (yes, even fried chicken) and I miss it alot. The place always felt cozy, and the food was simply great. I remember it well, from the red checkered table cloths to the rooster lamps, to the log beams in the ceilings. Where does the time go??
todd

Merrick, NY

#16 Feb 28, 2014
Yes,they are all available.
George wrote:
The salad dressing, corn fritters, and fried chicken were all among the best I've ever had in my life. Is there any way to get the recipes for any of these three items? Maybe the biscuits? Maybe re-open the restaurant...please?
Annmarie

Brentwood, NY

#17 Apr 15, 2014
Todd where are the recipes available? Please help! Like everyone else on this post we loved this place. My dad lived in Baldwin and they used to go to Ray Nors then he took my mom when they were married and then when we were born we got the pleasure of going also. It was heart breaking when they closed. My dad is 71 and I would love to cook that meal as a gift. If there is any way those recipes could be gotten it would mean so much.
paul

Loxahatchee, FL

#18 Apr 17, 2014
Your memory is incredible, from the napkins to the rooster lamps!! You would not want to have seen the last year or two how they ran their business. They were selling miserable pizza's. They never kept the place up, it was really sad. In any event, life does go fast and therefore your memories of the old raynor's should be the memory that we all should have...
Ben Dunkle

Buffalo, NY

#19 Jun 27, 2014
When I was a kid, driving up and sown Sunrise Highway, we'd pass Ranor's and scream "let's go to raynors" but we never did. Too bad, I guess.
marcia

Miami, FL

#20 Jul 27, 2014
Agreed , best fried chicken in the world!
John

Waterville, ME

#21 Oct 4, 2014
Raynors Cabin was incredibly fantastic. Everything about it. I remember going there as a youngster, then with my dates, then with my wife, then with my children. Overseas for 3 years during the Vietnam era, when I flew back to New York and my dad greeted me at the airport, I recall wanting to get my fill of Raynors fried chicken a candied yam, 2 corn fritters (had to pay extra), and the delicious hot biscuits with either strawberry preserves or honey. At one point in time probably the late 1950s, a Volkswagen dealer was located on the adjacent corner. Now in my 70s and living on the Maine coast and Arizona, I thought of going back to Long Island and having a wonderful fried chicken dinner. Oh well, I guess that's life. The only constant is change. Great memories though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baldwin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 10 hr Bruser 8,006
News More than 1,000 pack Westbury school to oppose ... 15 hr blacksky410 2
News Marion County suspect dies during jail booking (Sep '06) 17 hr low 92
News Not guilty plea for teen charged in college hit... (Mar '07) Fri 2015yeaaaa 110
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Fri Jess F 21
Looking for Church Space to Share/Rent (Feb '09) Fri baconr 116
News Hempstead botched robbery suspect arrested - (Sep '07) Apr 16 King 36
More from around the web

Baldwin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]