decatur sheriff dept
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
concerned 2

Miramar Beach, FL

#1 Apr 14, 2009
this good thing to talk bout.it on bainbridge PD topix.the sheriff do good job,ha ha.that mite not be rite.
perrymason74

Bainbridge, GA

#3 Apr 15, 2009
dude, you need to learn how to write. You must be at least 5 yrs. old
jrrot

Decatur, GA

#5 Apr 18, 2009
bainb need a sherrif that dont waste so much money on cars stayin park at the dept and not doing what they pay to do
the truth

United States

#6 Apr 18, 2009
I think that sheriff griffin is doing a outstanding job. Now only if the city could get someone like the sheriff, who belives in taking care of there officers. It's a known fact that the sheriiff's dept. is fully equp. when there is a porblem. they make BPS look like clowns.
jrrot

Decatur, GA

#7 Apr 18, 2009
he do do good job.he need spend so much money
jrrot

Decatur, GA

#8 Apr 18, 2009
he need mo deputys be ride n county 2
BainMan

Miramar Beach, FL

#9 Apr 18, 2009
jrrot wrote:
bainb need a sherrif that dont waste so much money on cars stayin park at the dept and not doing what they pay to do
Read the paper dude. The Sheriff Office just received a grant that just about paid for one car and is gonna save the county alot of money on the others that were purchased. For the last 3 years the jail has been detaining inmates from Atlanta for a profit. That brings revenue to the county so the Sheriff's Department doesn't have to right tickets that generate revenue. If you think about the Sheriffs Office does need to replinish vehicles quicker than the city because they have more round to cover. I personally like the fact that they are more willing to give a warning for a traffic violation than the city. If you mess up you need to go to jail but I don't feel i should have to pay a big fine for a window tint violation when i just bought the car and don't know that the tint is too low by Georgia standards. The Sheriff's office will give a warning, the city would issue a citation. The county is in good hands with Wiley Griffin as Sheriff!!
AY SHUTUP

Colquitt, GA

#10 Apr 18, 2009
jrrot wrote:
and you need a lesson in grammer and spelling ebonics may work in the white house but not here moron
just wondering

Valdosta, GA

#11 Apr 20, 2009
BainMan, I see that you stated that Sheriff Wiley was doing a great job and maybe he is i am not here to slam anyone, but i feel you and others need to know that his profit from Atlanta cost you money. He charges Atlanta 25.00 a day (per prisoner) medical included, and he charges the City of Bainbridge 36.00 a day plus medical(per prisoner). Now the way i see it is that it cost me the tax payer money everytime an Atlanta inmate gets off the bus. Either way you want to look at it either he is charging the city way to much or taking your tax dollar to supplement Atlanta's inmates. This in my eyes cost the taxpayer in the City of Bainbridge Twice, once we pay county taxes, and next we pay jail fees. The Decatur County Sheriff's Office does not send their self a bill. Looks like he would take of the people that put him in office, instead of the People in Atlanta who don't pay any taxes in Decatur County. Just wondering if you thought about that.
what

Miramar Beach, FL

#12 Apr 20, 2009
Thanks for the information. I ask why is Bainbridge paying for anything? Bainbridge citizens paid taxes to build that jail. I had no idea this was going on. I am surprised the County would do that but then no I am not. It appears the same tactics are going on at the jail as have been going on at the fire department. Is he is kin to Billy Griffin?
rest

Valdosta, GA

#13 Apr 20, 2009
give it a rest. they protect us!
Feed Up Wit It

Dillon, SC

#14 Apr 21, 2009
just wondering wrote:
BainMan, I see that you stated that Sheriff Wiley was doing a great job and maybe he is i am not here to slam anyone, but i feel you and others need to know that his profit from Atlanta cost you money. He charges Atlanta 25.00 a day (per prisoner) medical included, and he charges the City of Bainbridge 36.00 a day plus medical(per prisoner). Now the way i see it is that it cost me the tax payer money everytime an Atlanta inmate gets off the bus. Either way you want to look at it either he is charging the city way to much or taking your tax dollar to supplement Atlanta's inmates. This in my eyes cost the taxpayer in the City of Bainbridge Twice, once we pay county taxes, and next we pay jail fees. The Decatur County Sheriff's Office does not send their self a bill. Looks like he would take of the people that put him in office, instead of the People in Atlanta who don't pay any taxes in Decatur County. Just wondering if you thought about that.
The jail does not charge the city for any inmates charged with felonies so they get a break there. Until recently the city used the jail,s van to transport its prisoners from the jail to court. I believe the Atlanta inmates get charged more than $25 a day. Transport money gets taken out of the money coming from Atlanta to pay the city of Pelham for transporting the inmates. Plus the city of Bainbidge pays lower landfill fees, so they are getting a break one way or another. The county has to charge the city to house inmates cause they have to keep the lights and water on in the jail. Inmate meals & clothing have to be purchased. I mean the city cannot just throw their inmates and bills off on the county. If thats the case then public safety and the sheriff department need to consolidate into one and we just let the sheriff office handle a law enforcement duties.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Valdosta, GA

#15 Apr 21, 2009
Yeah, that's a great idea. Let the sheriff's office handle the law enforcement. Then everyone "politically connected" can do as they please and the rest of us can have the law "enforced" upon us, thus maintaining the"good ole boy" system that is so prevelant in this area. Public Safety at least has no such political aspirations. They just do their job and don't worry about getting re-elected. See this is the way it works: A person speeds, runs stop signs or breaks the law. They receive a citation or are arrested. THEY made the choice to commit the offense. THEY pay the price for their actions. Hopefully that penalty discourages them from doing that act again. THEY stop breaking the law and we as a community are safe and prosper. There is no room for politics anywhere in that equation.
absolutely

Valdosta, GA

#16 Apr 21, 2009
ARE YOU KIDDING ME wrote:
Yeah, that's a great idea. Let the sheriff's office handle the law enforcement. Then everyone "politically connected" can do as they please and the rest of us can have the law "enforced" upon us, thus maintaining the"good ole boy" system that is so prevelant in this area. Public Safety at least has no such political aspirations. They just do their job and don't worry about getting re-elected. See this is the way it works: A person speeds, runs stop signs or breaks the law. They receive a citation or are arrested. THEY made the choice to commit the offense. THEY pay the price for their actions. Hopefully that penalty discourages them from doing that act again. THEY stop breaking the law and we as a community are safe and prosper. There is no room for politics anywhere in that equation.
AMEN!!! Thats the problem with Decatur County now. Look at our Fire Department. They are costing Decatur County a million dollars. If you dont think the Sheriff's Department is right in the middle of the "good ole boy system" (politics at its worse) then you are very naive. Brown Mosely, Butch Mosely, Wiley Griffin. They are all guilty of it.
just wondering

Valdosta, GA

#17 Apr 21, 2009
Hey fed up with it, I have looked into the felony warrants, yeah the city is getting a break, because once felony warrant is issued that person belongs to the state, I have also looked at what the state is being charged that is nothing. Just wonder if GSP gets charged for the people they arrest and the Game & Fish for the people they arrest. Is the city taxpayer only one that is charged.
RED 6 FAN

Valdosta, GA

#18 Apr 21, 2009
I agree with Kidding. I don't have any statistical info to back this up. But it sure seems like there a lot of serious and even fatal accidents in the county. Wouldn't the fact that the good ole sheriffs office doesn't write many tickets contribute to an increase in speeders and traffic rules being broken, and cause more accidents? Where is the deterrent in that?

In my time here in this area, all I have seen the sheriffs office do is buy cars and a lot of dog and pony stuff that doesn't look anything like law enforcement. Just spending money.

The good sheriff has been heard to say that he is a business man and will run the sheriffs office like a business. Last I heard of, we need law enforcement, criminals arrested, tickets issued, not a spot on the NASDAQ. He has also been heard to tell the commissioners that they can't tell him what to spend because he is elected to his office, that he doesn't work off of a budget and will spend whatever he chooses to protect the citizens. Sounds good from a political standpoint. Well, where is the protection? Buying cars at taxpayer expense, discouraging their own officers from writing tickets, taking away their ticket books, training officers for duties they don't or aren't allowed to do, buying equipment and playing politics,aren't what we average people would consider law enforcement. Looks like a bunch of smoke and mirrors to me. What has the local sheriffs office accomplished from an active standpoint? Seems like if it weren't for the GSP officers, it would be a race track down there.

Paying one of their employees more money the county administrator himself made one year?(it's one record at the courthouse for all to see)

What about the folks on our side of the Florida line down there? This area has been rampant with drug activity for years, what do they do about that. Attapulgus? Plenty of poison being peddled here and only one policeman in that place. Fowlstown? Faceville? Every time I turn around, all I see in the paper and bainbridgega.com , is for the most part that the sheriffs office is working in Bainbridge. Bainbridge has a full police department that works so far as I can see, much to the displeasure of the criminals and the well to do's I imagine.

Sounds to me like all of these things need to be addressed and remembered at the next election.
rosie

Valdosta, GA

#19 Apr 21, 2009
Yes, the City does pay per day for their inmates. Those inmates are at the County Jail and are supervised by County Employees. The County purchases their food, provides uniforms, bed, water, medical needs, etc. The City does not do any of this themselves. The City only pays for those inmates charged with City crimes (which are misdemeanors). A lot of the inmates are there for probation violations. If you look at a historical report of what the City has paid the county for inmates over the past few years, that cost has risen significantly since August of last year. There was a new probation company that took over at that time and they are bringing in less money than has been collected in the past. I don't know the name of it, but I was told by a city employee that they have revoked probation on individuals for not reporting when they never even contacted the probationer to let them know they needed to report to them now instead of where they previously reported.

There are a lot of good officers with the PD and SO. They put their lives on the line for all of us each day for very little pay. While I do believe some of the higher supervisors at these two departments could do a better job, I do not blame the officers who actually do work.
BainMan

Dillon, SC

#20 Apr 21, 2009
To Red 6 Fan:
You and the rest of the citizens of Decatur County have double standards!! If they did get out there and write tickets, who would be the first to put up signs or find another means of crying like the Dean guy did in Climax. Now, the people of Decatur actually want speeding tickets wrote on them and not warnings!! Hillarious I Say!!! As far as the crime in Attapulgus, Fowlstown, and Faceville, I think the S.O. is doing the job it can do. You can't just go kicking in doors and stopping cars of drug dealers for no reason. There has to be a violation or some type of probable cause to mess with people, or else the case will get thrown out in Cato's court. I mean we watch movies and t.v. and just expect miracles out of our local law enforcment and it just doesn't go that way.
RED 6 FAN

Valdosta, GA

#21 Apr 21, 2009
Well, not to be confrontational or rude, I meant that the sheriff's office should worry more about the county, thus the term Decatur COUNTY sheriff's office, since the city already has a department that is paid to police the city. I don't speak for anyone but myself on the ticket issue. I am not "the people" and am only one person. I just had a crazy notion that laws, i.e.: traffic laws, were put in place to deter traffic violations and thereby help insure that people would obey them for fear of the fine and/or penalty, and then lower the occurrences of wrecks. I have had a ticket, LONG ago, cost me $125.00. I paid it and haven't had another one since, no signs or complaints. I don't think that the office in question is not doing their job because of Cato, or probable cause, but more likely because they are not allowed to for fear of politics and ruffling the wrong persons feathers. The good ole boy system referred to by KIDDINg. I know several current and former deputies. One related to me that he wrote the "wrong person" a ticket was given grief because of it. Another told me that he actually had his ticket book taken away. Yet another told me that he clocked a car going 100 + miles per hour. I asked him if the driver had an excuse for such a crazy speed. He told me he didn't know because he never stopped the car. Said he recognized the driver as a local "well known" person and feared that he would lose his job if he stopped them or wrote them a ticket. Where do you suppose that fear came from? There is only one elected official at that office. From local news, I have noticed in the last several years that there appears to be an increase in severe accidents, especially in the county. Common sense dictates that if people are not worried about SOME sort of consequences, then they will drive as they please and as a product of that, there will be more accidents and innocent people hurt.
BainFan

Dillon, SC

#23 Apr 21, 2009
the truth wrote:
I think that sheriff griffin is doing a outstanding job. Now only if the city could get someone like the sheriff, who belives in taking care of there officers. It's a known fact that the sheriiff's dept. is fully equp. when there is a porblem. they make BPS look like clowns.
Spoken like a true idiot. FYI i am related to one of the officers he takes care of and the officer is concerned everyday about his;her job. Heres a idea: a county police like in Albany to make the county better protected and not ran on the good ole boy system in place now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bainbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WHITE Family (Nov '16) 6 hr Iknow 4
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (May '15) Mon Kelly 2,063
Word Association (May '15) Mon Kelly 1,407
Poll Is the Columbus music scene legitimate (Jul '12) Mon General Zod 6,500
Local Artist Spotlight: George Sulzbach Mon General Zod 237
Commissioners Number 13 Mon Suckered 5
Job Openings For Decater County Administration ... Sun Afraid Commission... 12

Bainbridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance