Pink slips for Zippo employees

Pink slips for Zippo employees

There are 16 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Sep 19, 2008, titled Pink slips for Zippo employees. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

The struggling economy sparked lay-offs at one of Bradford, Pennsylvania's largest employers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

YaYaHood

United States

#1 Sep 19, 2008
People of B'ford, you have been jammed royally haven't you?
Sue!
Make b*st*rds pay that money back.
funnyguy

Lewiston, ME

#2 Sep 19, 2008
LESS smokers less lighters needed no smokers no lighters no work
Told ya so

Buffalo, NY

#3 Sep 19, 2008
Ever meet the family that runs that company?
bunch of wierdos and LOSERS who were born into some money. that family and the idiots up top they hired had no clue on how to run a business
Duh

Buffalo, NY

#4 Sep 19, 2008
Hmmm 1.2 million dollars. Population of that county is 45,936.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKean_County,_P...

So that's $26.13 per person.

Zippos owe everyone in that county a case of beer and it's even. Maybe some Yuengling.
Duh

Buffalo, NY

#5 Sep 19, 2008
A family who owns a cigarette lighter factory is a bunch of wierdos and losers? No way!
Mr Reality

United States

#6 Sep 19, 2008
They got screwed and didn't have to bend over.
Shaken

Bradford, PA

#7 Sep 20, 2008
The owners of zippo are not a bunch of losers. The majority of non-profit companies in Bradford have received Zippo contributions. They are very generous with this town.
jay

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Sep 21, 2008
Shaken wrote:
The owners of zippo are not a bunch of losers. The majority of non-profit companies in Bradford have received Zippo contributions. They are very generous with this town.
they are a bunch of losers. and the way they let those employees go was absolutely disrespectful. apparently you must be part of the duke family, or part of one the organizations zippo gives to.
Gunfighter1

Buffalo, NY

#10 Sep 21, 2008
Are they moving to China, or Mexico? Remember all the tax breaks that the Feds and the State gave to Fisher-Price? What did that get us? Toys made in China!
slave

United States

#11 Nov 10, 2008
its most likely just another ploy to scam the taxpayers out of more money i bet they get some bailout money and suddenly get busy again

Since: Sep 08

Mundelein, IL

#12 Nov 19, 2008
Couple bad management with low sales due to less smokers/smoking bans and then add the airlines banning lighters and the Korean and Chinese knock-offs of Zippo lighters and it all adds up to what the company is facing right now.

Sad, as Zippo is an American treasure. Along with Case Cutlery it put Bradford on the map for a lot of the world.
new york chetty

Buffalo, NY

#13 Nov 21, 2008
if we would all buy american this would not happen.but no everyone shop's wal mart and send's the money to china.so american consumer's are the real problem but alway's point the finger in the other direction.we have a whole lot of do gooder's who want smoking banned.well when the tax money dries up they will have to pay for it then let's see how they like it.
elmo

United States

#14 Nov 21, 2008
it works the other way too alot of american products are sold overseas lets hope they dont start buying all of their own products
Member of Bubbas Army

East Quogue, NY

#15 Nov 21, 2008
f them all my Zippos work great
slave

United States

#16 Nov 21, 2008
ya? get you one of them new butane lighters and see if you can say the same thing!
shopper

Roy, WA

#17 Nov 28, 2008
where do people even buy these butane lighters? i have checked all of my local stores and nobody has them. i would like to be able to see one and not just order it online. its hard to believe that a new product is so hard to find they must sell so good that they dont need to put them in stores

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Missing' woman often seen on McKeesport streets (Mar '06) Jun 14 Two Cents 24
Does Aliquippa support muslim pinhead Obama Mar '16 zeke the pinhead 1
Debate: Marijuana - Harmony, PA (Aug '10) Feb '16 Debra Sterling 27
News Police: WPa. bartender raped unconscious customer (Dec '10) Jan '16 lilwillie 36
Review: Fifi Capperis (Jun '14) Jan '16 Unknownguyfriendb... 2
economy is set for a massive spurt of growth Jan '16 growth everywhere 1
pine inn Jan '16 robrugby 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baden Mortgages