Teachers facing layoffs keep working for students

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 27, 2009, titled Teachers facing layoffs keep working for students. In it, Newsday reports that:

What will they tell their students? The question weighs heavily on Mark Bligh and Frank Mele, both young teachers at Woods Road Elementary School in North Babylon .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Reality Check

East Northport, NY

#1 Mar 27, 2009
Welcome to the real world , teachers. The free ride is over.
Deep Frying

Mineola, NY

#2 Mar 27, 2009
"Teachers" are low-lives and they know it. Stop the madness and fire these underachieving blackmailers. ENOUGH ALREADY!
gng

East Quogue, NY

#3 Mar 27, 2009
If these guys are willing to leave the area, many other parts of the country are hiring now. My daughter's best friend is student teaching now down near D.C. and she's already been offered work.

Since: Feb 08

Nassau County

#4 Mar 27, 2009
I feel for these 2 but they are in a system that does not reward success... it's all about that TENURE. Get it, got it, good!

Why don't they complain about the layers upon layers of bureaucracy? Cut, consolidate, competition, choice - should be the new education paradigm.
Juli714

Cleveland, OH

#5 Mar 27, 2009
There is no place like Long Island. Reward the teachers without having performance evaluations. Teachers feel it is their constitutional right to work 180 days per year and earn in excess of $100,000 just based on college credits. A teacher's salary should be based on a number of factors and should not exceed $100,000 for 180 days work. If you want paid summers off, go find a real job.

Next are the overpaid adminstrators and clerical personnel who work in the district offices, who earn lifetime benefits. Yep, there's no place like Long Island School Districts. There you go, tax the working class people who pay the school salaries and provide them with lifetime benefits. All while they are servicing the illegal renters and illegal aliens who do not contribute to the school taxes.

Long Island School Districts -- No place like it!
Apanb

Watertown, CT

#6 Mar 27, 2009
These two teachers are being cut along with 35 others in this district. Do you know what that means for the kids. THEY get shortchanged. Larger class sizes AND less one-on-one with the teachers who are already overwhelmed.

Now the administrators in North Babylon district CUT teachers and did not cut any personnel on the administrative level. I think that is totally unfair AND completely selfish. NOT only that the school was placed on a (needs improvement)list this year because 15 students were coded incorrectly on a state data over the past 2 years. That was an administrative mistake!!
Makes perfect sense to me to cut the teachers who help our kids and let the administrators keep their salaries.
Wake Up Long Island

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Mar 27, 2009
The teachers are EARNING in excess of $100,000. Yes, KEEP the teachers, just pay them for the 180 days they work and CAP their salaries. If they are REAL TEACHERS they will be doing it for the kids. if not, then GO FIND A JOB IN THE REAL WORLD EARNING six figures for 180 days work.

And YES, GET RID OF THE OVERPAID ADMINISTRATORS.
archavers

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 31, 2009
Where are the youngsters who focused on banking or auto industry as a way to pay bills and serve society, teachers are a part to render services to humans at the very basic level. The youngsters who teach are the same that learns, get over the teachers get on with the process. More new teachers will bring more and diffrent ideas to educate the youngster,but the teacher will leave for more lucrative careers if you can't find the human element to learning, budgets are to be expanded to include what's right, if i was the parents in this situation i would ask the superintendant to reduce his salary and let the teachers stay.It's called the human difference education of the youth is an human experience money is paper.
Angelica

Watertown, CT

#9 May 19, 2009
I DONT NO WHY U GUYS ARE CUTTING OFF THE BEST TEACHERS EVER MR.BLIGH AND MR.MELE THEY R THE BEST TEACHERS EVER BC THEY R ALWAYS NICE AND I GO TO WOODS ROAD ELEMENTRY SCHOOL IN NORTH BABYLON MR.GOLUB IS THE BEST PRINCELBEL EVER I LOVE HIM LOL PLEASE DONT CUT THEM OFF PLEASE DONT PLEASE WRITE BACK TO ME
Ex New Yorker

New York, NY

#10 Mar 11, 2010
Looks like the LI Teachers Union has finally killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. You wanted summers off..... you're about to get a whole lot more.
Ben Franklin

Bronx, NY

#11 Mar 11, 2010
Ex New Yorker wrote:
Looks like the LI Teachers Union has finally killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. You wanted summers off..... you're about to get a whole lot more.
The only problem is the new lowest paid still motivated young teachers will be let go and all the highest paid burnouts will still be there,making more money than before.They still get the last laugh.
wow

Queens Village, NY

#12 Mar 11, 2010
Has the well finally run dry? Let us see what foolish long island sheep STILL vote yes this may on the joker school budgets.

ohhhh the poor teachers <sarcasm>
fran

Hicksville, NY

#13 Mar 12, 2010
Deep Frying wrote:
"Teachers" are low-lives and they know it. Stop the madness and fire these underachieving blackmailers. ENOUGH ALREADY!
wow! you must of flunked out, what hatred for teachers. Our children need good teachers and you only get what you pay for. If long island doesn't pay a competitive wage to live on this crazy expensive island then all the good and best qualified teachers will leave the region. Maybe that is what some want and maybe some don't care. I'm not saying teachers need to milk the districts for every dollar but they have a right to earn a living. If it is such a cake job why don't those who complain about the teachers get qualified and become a teacher. Probably because it's not that easy and it's a thankless job.
Ben Franklin

Bronx, NY

#14 Mar 12, 2010
wow wrote:
Has the well finally run dry? Let us see what foolish long island sheep STILL vote yes this may on the joker school budgets.
ohhhh the poor teachers <sarcasm>
But even then if you vote down your school budgets,the only ones that get hurt are your children.
sham -WOW

White Plains, NY

#15 Mar 13, 2010
please, folks lets get real. We have not addressed the real fact here, all the teachers I know, and I know a lot of them got "in" due to family connections, not merit. I remember when I was going for my undergrad at CW Post, there was a young girl who had her "teacher job" secured because her mother worked on the school board. FYI she could not find Canada on the map during class! WTF! I have seen young teachers on LI go to work in flip flops and look like they are walking the street or just plain dirtbags. Time to clean house.
nutz

Bronx, NY

#16 Mar 18, 2010
Some of these comments are both distressing and prejudicial. So we now categorize all old teachers as burnouts.
I can't believe that I have worked my entire life dedicated to assisting with young adults achieving their goals and I have to listen to this nonsense.
Parents have the power to make formal complaints to superintendents in regard to the nonperformance of teachers. District human resource departments have procedures in place to remove ineffective teachers.
If there is a teacher that is ineffective working in your district look at yourself to blame because it is obvious that your lack of passion and commitment is whats really at question.
So get to work because some of us old teachers don't want to work with them either.
Long Island Gal

Amityville, NY

#17 Mar 18, 2010
Ben Franklin wrote:
<quoted text>
The only problem is the new lowest paid still motivated young teachers will be let go and all the highest paid burnouts will still be there,making more money than before.They still get the last laugh.
That's the way it works in most jobs in the REAL world. Teachers should have taken a pay freeze.
scoob

White Plains, NY

#18 Mar 20, 2010
I bought weed from my teacher in Herricks 1985.

Time to sweep em out
Hey Teacher

Lindenhurst, NY

#19 Mar 31, 2010
You do not tell your students nothing. This is your problem.

Since: Feb 08

Nassau County

#20 Apr 5, 2010
Another interesting NY school fact - pupil enrollment in the state has decrease some 121,000 students since 2000-2001 and (drum roll please) the # of administrators/teachers has gone up about 21,000 in that time!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Babylon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 33 min Bruser 8,018
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 41 min VeggieBurger 1,379
News 4 Long Island men charged with burglary in Dove... (Sep '12) 53 min VeggieBurger 6
Review: Tony Saccone - Allstate Personal Financ... 58 min VeggieBurger 2
Brentwood,Long Island, New York (Apr '06) Sat x 1,137
Review: Maxy Nails (Jun '14) Apr 29 Cutie415 8
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Apr 29 Bruser 2,434
More from around the web

Babylon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]