Horseshoe crab sting

Jun 3, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Newsday.com

Each spring during the high tides of the new and full moons, horseshoe crabs line local shores to spawn. via Newsday.com

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of68
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
jessica cotton

Smithfield, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

how bad are horseshoe crab stings???
Ishmael

Jackson, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2007

Judged:

If you step on it just right, you could lose your foot.
TVG

Downingtown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2007

Judged:

Ishmael wrote:
If you step on it just right, you could lose your foot.
Are you retarded? horseshoe crabs can't sting!!!!
HarleyRider

Egham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2007

Judged:

TVG wrote:
<quoted text>
You have obviously never witnessed someone stepping on one.
You Are a tard

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Judged:

HarleyRider wrote:
<quoted text>
You have obviously never witnessed someone stepping on one.
Let me tell you somthing you are retarded and you have never seen anybody step on one. That pointy spine is for feeling around its not sharp to a point and will break before it puntures skin. And before you argue I am a marine biology major. I have picked horshoe craps and put them live on my head like a helmet as a joke. They pose absolutly no threat to humans except to maybe startke you girlfreind. There are plenty bigger things to worry about in the water.
HarleyRider

Egham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

Judged:

You Are a tard wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me tell you somthing you are retarded and you have never seen anybody step on one. That pointy spine is for feeling around its not sharp to a point and will break before it puntures skin. And before you argue I am a marine biology major. I have picked horshoe craps and put them live on my head like a helmet as a joke. They pose absolutly no threat to humans except to maybe startke you girlfreind. There are plenty bigger things to worry about in the water.
Horshoe crabs do sting, when someone goes to step on them (clearly not intentionally). I am NOT a marine biology major, but have lived near the water my entire life. I have gone clamming many times in the bay, walking around the flats, feeling for clams with my feet. While I have not witnessed someone stepping on one, I have seen first hand what it has done to a foot that has. I would assume that raising its tail would be its only means of self defense, but being a retard as you say, that is just an assumption. You may want to call Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip, and ask them if they've ever had to treat them.
tex

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

Judged:

TVG wrote:
<quoted text>
You are totally correct! http://www.horseshoecrab.org/act/flipem.html
HarleyRider

Egham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

tex

Harker Heights, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

Judged:

HarleyRider wrote:
www.dms.moph.go.th/inderm/Jour nal/Cutis/2000/vol66%20no1%20J ul/vol66%20no1%
Its in Arabic you jerk!!! hahahha
Rick virginia beach

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2008

Judged:

I just stepped on a horseshoe crab....it really hurt and It tore a muscle in my foot. So it can happen. (and im not retarded)
Mike

Salisbury, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2008

Judged:

I went clamming today and i stepped on at least 3 horseshoe crabs...none of which stung me.
Tide Runner

Manorville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2008

Judged:

Never met a Horseshoe Crab tail my foot did'nt like... One tail actually broke off, and lodged in my foot... Hospital visit... They can also shuck a clam with their legs... I saw one do that also...They are also used as bait to catch Conch, and Eels....
phil shisbey

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

jessica cotton wrote:
how bad are horseshoe crab stings???
They don't have a stingers like rays do, however they are not without their dangers. We just came back from vacationing at Fort Story in Virginia and there were dozens of horseshoe crab tails strewn along the beach at the tide line (where the bodies were or how the became disconnected I don't know). The tail is a formidable spike; we saw them up to 7 inches long. They are ridgid and stiff, and as fat around as my little finger. They taper to a tip as sharp as a nail.

So it made me nervous to see my kids (and others) playing on the beach with sharp spikes laying about. We collected and removed some. All it'd take would be an unlucky step or fall to send one of the tails through someone's foot or hand, or whatever.
General Zod

Smithtown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

They usally show up in White (trash) beaches like in Lindenhurst, Babylon, Islip
Tide Runner

Manorville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

phil shisbey wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't have a stingers like rays do, however they are not without their dangers. We just came back from vacationing at Fort Story in Virginia and there were dozens of horseshoe crab tails strewn along the beach at the tide line (where the bodies were or how the became disconnected I don't know). The tail is a formidable spike; we saw them up to 7 inches long. They are ridgid and stiff, and as fat around as my little finger. They taper to a tip as sharp as a nail.
So it made me nervous to see my kids (and others) playing on the beach with sharp spikes laying about. We collected and removed some. All it'd take would be an unlucky step or fall to send one of the tails through someone's foot or hand, or whatever.
I like your descriptive analysis...
Brian

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

I was on a horse shoe crab sting once...it was 85' a little stretch of beach off great river road. We suspected the perp for peddling his wares..ie counterfit snicker bars to unsuspecting single mothers suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. Some may call it a victimless crime, But a crime non the less.

Never the less...we thought he made us so we dropped the hammer yoked him up and searched him.
He was clean, empty, our case was blown and lives were destroyed all around.
Sammy Sleuth

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

BTW, was it a dark and stormy night at the beach?
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

The horseshoe crab got here millions of years before man, he has the right to be there, unlike you moron's he lives in the water. It's Your Job not to step on him, bozo !
NYSRN

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

No they can't sting. We have had people in the ER that have had a horseshoe crab tail lodged in their foot. There have been a few instances where their foot became infectious and septic. It can be serious.
The waters on Long Island aren't clear, therefore, it is easy to step on a tail during low tide.
The majority of victims are children.
The parents make the mistake of trying to pull the tail out of their foot. This causes the little spikes to become lodged in their tiny foot and possibly surgery is needed to remove these tiny spikes.
And yes, they were wearing swim shoes.
Ed Burke

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

You clowns have been defecating and polluting the water the poor Horseshoe crab has to live in for decades. If he can sting a few of you, it's little enough payback for your decades of human filth. At least when you eat the local seafood you get some of the fecal matter back that you dropped on him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of68
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Babylon Discussions

Search the Babylon Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
95 year old (Oct '13) 20 min Hollis Warner 2
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr C No Evil 6,320
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 7 hr Bruser 2,245
Deer Park man found stabbed on front lawn (Apr '08) 8 hr David McSmitj 72
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 8 hr Go Blue Forever 6,323
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 16 hr Tony 1,293
Mastic Beach man charged in wife's fatal stabbing (Dec '08) 23 hr pat 30
•••
•••

Babylon News Video

•••
Babylon Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Babylon Jobs

•••