Who still takes global warming seriou...

Who still takes global warming seriously?

There are 30922 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jan 28, 2010, titled Who still takes global warming seriously?. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Despite the recent discovery of the e-mails that resulted in "Climate Gate" and the fact this has been one of the coldest and harshest winters in many years, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

litesong

Everett, WA

#32142 May 17, 2015
litesong wrote:
At least, both of us spelled "re-pubic-lick-un" correctly.
//////////
SpaceBlues wrote:
Well, they might adopt it in desperation.
/////////
litesong wrote:
They can't adopt it. "re-pubic-lick-un" is too accurate......even precisely describing tea baggers.
IBdaMann

Ashburn, VA

#32143 May 17, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
Nature doesn't have limits or gives a damn ...
English lesson time:

You can write "Nature doesn't have limits or GIVE a damn .." (parallel structure with the negative) or you can write "Nature neither has limits nor gives a damn .." but what you wrote is not what you are trying to say.

Just trying to help.

Hey, is this Nature of which you speak getting warmer?

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#32144 May 17, 2015
IBdaMann wrote:
Hey, is this Nature of which ...
English lesson time:
The word nature isn't a proper noun, therefore doesn't require a capital n unless it begins a sentence, or when referring to Nature journal.
XandO

Phoenix, AZ

#32145 May 18, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>English lesson time:
The word nature isn't a proper noun, therefore doesn't require a capital n unless it begins a sentence, or when referring to Nature journal.
If that person's post is read with perception, however, it appears the poster has sarcastically capitalized the word. Maybe sarcasm is a bit too strong, but it seems to me it's capitalized to make a point.

Then again, I could be wrong.:-)
IBdaMann

Baltimore, MD

#32146 May 18, 2015
XandO wrote:
<quoted text>
If that person's post is read with perception, however, it appears the poster has sarcastically capitalized the word. Maybe sarcasm is a bit too strong, but it seems to me it's capitalized to make a point.
Astute observation. Yes, I capitalized "Nature" because it became a proper noun when Earthling-1 anthropomorphized "nature" to become a character that doesn't "give a damn" about limits or fossil fuels or catastrophists' claims. I've been trying to think of a way to sufficiently dumb-down the explanation so Earthling-1 can understand. Any help would be appreciated.
XandO

Phoenix, AZ

#32147 May 18, 2015
IBdaMann wrote:
<quoted text>
Astute observation. Yes, I capitalized "Nature" because it became a proper noun when Earthling-1 anthropomorphized "nature" to become a character that doesn't "give a damn" about limits or fossil fuels or catastrophists' claims. I've been trying to think of a way to sufficiently dumb-down the explanation so Earthling-1 can understand. Any help would be appreciated.
Why dumb down? Let others smart up.

Lol
Anonymous

Alexandria, VA

#32148 May 18, 2015
XandO wrote:
Why dumb down? Let others smart up.
Lol
Good point. That's a refreshingly positive outlook. I hope more people can follow your lead.

On your recommendation, I'll leave my explanation stand. I addressed his anthropomorphized character by a proper noun.

Earthling-1, is this Nature of which you speak getting warmer?

#32149 May 19, 2015
XandO wrote:

You are, because anyone who posts an "English lesson" must take care that they don't make an error in that post.

But thanks for your much appreciated input.ֿ

#32150 May 19, 2015
XandO wrote:
Why dumb down? Let others smart[sic] up.
Lol
Smarten up would be more accurate.
Something that's beyond IB daMned.
IBdaMann

Baltimore, MD

#32151 May 19, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Smarten up would be more accurate.
..either way, you still haven't answered the question. Maybe the optimism was misplaced and you DO need it dumbed down further, possibly a lot further.
XandO

United States

#32152 May 19, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Smarten up would be more accurate.
Something that's beyond IB daMned.
There you go again.....not understanding whimsy and/or context.

I said "smart up" in response to "dumb down", making each word opposites, KNOWING what is grammatically correct. Get it? Get it? Probably not.

You need to up your smart.

Otherwise, lighten up, because I guarantee you, I proofread for a living, and I could tear apart your grammar, if I were to get serious.

#32153 May 19, 2015
XandO wrote:
... I could tear apart your grammar, if I were to get serious.
Do your worst, sirrah, be my guest, fill your boots and get serious.
Many have tried and failed, miserably.
You have a few thousand of my posts to check already.
ֿ

PS: How do you spell 40 as a word?

PPS: I would have written, I could tear you grammar apart, if I were to get serious, but I only had a secondary modern school education and left at the age if 15 years,so what do I know?-ֿ
XandO

Tempe, AZ

#32154 May 19, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Do your worst, sirrah, be my guest, fill your boots and get serious.
Many have tried and failed, miserably.
You have a few thousand of my posts to check already.
ֿ
PS: How do you spell 40 as a word?
PPS: I would have written, I could tear you grammar apart, if I were to get serious, but I only had a secondary modern school education and left at the age if 15 years,so what do I know?-ֿ
You would have written that?

Hmmmm

You really proved yourself (rolling eyes). You might check your spelling.
XandO

Tempe, AZ

#32155 May 19, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You are, because anyone who posts an "English lesson" must take care that they don't make an error in that post.
But thanks for your much appreciated input.ֿ
If you're referring to me, I made no error.

If, however, you're still unable to understand anthropomorphic personification, let me point out an example.

Have you ever read books or seen works of art with death as a main character, personified, not as a concept, but as human and/or formed in some manner? In those cases, the character, Death, is capitalized in writing, because that is that character's name. If I'm not mistaken, specific names are proper nouns, requiring capitalization.

Now, try very hard to apply that to the other poster's personification of nature as a human entity, identified by the capitalization of Nature. It is a common form of writing.

The writer of that post was using anthropomorphic personification.

“leaning left”

Since: Mar 09

local

#32156 May 19, 2015
XandO wrote:
<quoted text>
If, however, you're still unable to understand anthropomorphic personification, let me point out an example.
Have you ever read books or seen works of art with death as a main character, personified, not as a concept, but as human and/or formed in some manner? In those cases, the character, Death, is capitalized in writing, because that is that character's name. If I'm not mistaken, specific names are proper nouns, requiring capitalization.
Now, try very hard to apply that to the other poster's personification of nature as a human entity, identified by the capitalization of Nature. It is a common form of writing.
The writer of that post was using anthropomorphic personification.
Show Off.....You just can't help yourself. Can you?
XandO

Tempe, AZ

#32157 May 19, 2015
bleeding heart liberal wrote:
<quoted text>
Show Off.....You just can't help yourself. Can you?
:-)

#32159 May 21, 2015
XandO wrote:
As if you would.
Reread my post and tell me if you wrote "English lesson?"

#32160 May 21, 2015
XandO wrote:
You might check your spelling.
Why, when I have you to do it for me?
Please make any corrections you deem fit.
ֿ[/sic]
The Green Watch Dog

Oklahoma City, OK

#32162 May 23, 2015
Geo engineering by big cororations and our government has tried to reverse the effects of global warming. In it's wisdom or intentions it has only accelerated. The desert southwest is their proving ground. We hope to have a conference this year in ABQ or Denver to address this important human rights issue.
Sensible

Walled Lake, MI

#32163 May 23, 2015
What is it exactly your trying to defend? If 98 of 100 scientist tell you heroin is bad for you and the 2 out of 100 who say "the science is still out" work for the drug dealer, why would you believe them? The "deniers" plant their flag from an emotional not logical stand point. Do you believe gravity is a hoax? No it's not different.
Have you ever noticed that the people making money off the argument that the Earth is flat, start off with "I'm not a scientist" which is supposed to absolve them of any responsibility to say any ignorant deceptive thing that they want. I'm not a scientist but 2 and 2 is 5. Be emotional. Look for things to try to fit your argument. Make sure your turn a blind eye to FACTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aztec Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kirtland Music Selection (Aug '12) 3 hr Musikologist 17
San Juan College Student Housing Feb 15 Parent_FmgtnResid... 1
News New Mexico school shooting leaves 2 students, s... Feb 2 youll shoot your ... 111
Aztec looks to revitalize the historic downtown Jan 26 Riley 3
News Mark Douglas Spore (Feb '09) Jan 18 tim vechter 16
News Two small children in distress after being left... (Aug '10) Jan '18 User 419
News Veteran prosecutor Eric Morrow fired from state... (Mar '09) Dec '17 Smith 27

Aztec Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Aztec Mortgages