Kinney named interim deputy fire - Na...

Kinney named interim deputy fire - Nashoba Publishing Online

There are 41 comments on the Nashoba Publishing story from Jan 16, 2009, titled Kinney named interim deputy fire - Nashoba Publishing Online. In it, Nashoba Publishing reports that:

After the unexpected resignation of training specialist and Deputy Fire Chief Jim Taplin, selectmen this week elevated firefighter Jonathan Kinney to the role of interim deputy chief from a field of only two ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Nashoba Publishing.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
NiceSelection

United States

#1 Jan 16, 2009
Jonathan Kinney is a natural selection for this position. He has the knowledge and respect, much like the Toby Tyler and Peter Shattuck have.

He knows so much about being a firefighter and a leader.

Bring back Costa Bozicas before this department becomes the biggest joke in the area. You already got the biggest joke as a Chief and now you have the biggest idoit as a Deputy Chief.

Lies and backstabbing are no way to run a fire department.

Wake up Pepperell before someone gets killed with these jokers running the FD!
Well then

Pepperell, MA

#3 Jan 17, 2009
This FD has turned into the biggest joke around. Its kinda funnyeven being an outsider of the fire department, to see what has happened. It has turned into a popularity contest. When Costa was on everything ran smoothly, he left for personal reasons, the fd went down hill, he came back straightened the bs out and everything was great. He left again and look what happened. The only one with any clue on doing something right on the top is Deputy Shattuck. Someone in this town has to wake up before someone gets seriously hurt or killed!!
Well then

Pepperell, MA

#4 Jan 17, 2009
NiceSelection wrote:
Jonathan Kinney is a natural selection for this position. He has the knowledge and respect, much like the Toby Tyler and Peter Shattuck have.
He knows so much about being a firefighter and a leader.
Bring back Costa Bozicas before this department becomes the biggest joke in the area. You already got the biggest joke as a Chief and now you have the biggest idoit as a Deputy Chief.
Lies and backstabbing are no way to run a fire department.
Wake up Pepperell before someone gets killed with these jokers running the FD!
Totally agree with you
no name

Pepperell, MA

#5 Jan 17, 2009
I think that instead of having the selectman choose our fire dept. enginers it should come from the firefighters instead. after all they have to work with them and trust them to keep them safe at risky times.you would be very surprised if you had a private meeting with all our firefighters and as for written votefrom each firefighter.
Lets look at this way to.since you all ran the best enginers out of our town and fire companys,such as bernard olsen,costa bozikas,west whitter. due to fact that you thought we needed cahnge and had gripes with things.you basically destroyed a very great fire dept. why some people will not put there names in for this is because you change our enginers to much.your looking for a few to step up,but the will not,because of this very reason. you basically serve 3yr term.why not do the same for engineers,just like you use to.if the team works together and the fire dept is happy.then leave it alone.do not fix hwt is not broken. we had a good team going and you guys ruin it..we now have 3 people who are not capable of running our dept. we have a horse business/fire capt. a depty chief/ town head highway. depty chief/ teacher counsler. we need someone who is devoted to just the fire dept. not some one who tries to didvide themselfs into 2 people. i am talking jobs here. one such person made a statment you have to choose.so do they...
i agree

Pepperell, MA

#6 Jan 17, 2009
i agree with no name.... we the people choose who we want to repersent us.why not have the firefighter choose who they want to be their leaders.
after all the risk alot everyday serving us,being a fire, a car accident,water issue, ect.... I think its time for a change in things... I think the selectman should listen to our firefights when making a decision involving their lives....
PFDMess

Pepperell, MA

#7 Jan 17, 2009
You cannot have the FF's vote for their leaders. Just not how the law works.

Bottom line is no one put in for the engineers jobs because you can't trust the selectman and you can't trust the other two engineers (mainly the chief).

It's time to wake up, get with the real world and change the system to a Strong or Weak chief system. Get rid of the current chief(s) and bring in qualified/trained person.

You may not agree with getting rid of the current leaders, but no worries. They way its going now, they'll be the only ones left with a hand full of new guys cause the rest of the indians are going to quit.

Just take a look a the the chief's new policy. Pepperell now has FF's going to the station and waiting for a full crew instead of to the scene. Probably the biggest reason why Pepperell had such a good response and now the Chief has changed it. Only person that can take a truck with nobody on it though is Dep Shattuck (you know, don't do as I do, do as I say).

Sometimes change is good, but this is just stupid. Only good change here would be a new Chief! Listening to Jean and Dave H more Toby, you'll go a long way with that thinking.

Just remember, Ladder company has always produced the worst engineers/chiefs. Remember John Marriner? They are not the DNC (do nothing company) for no reason.
TearGasToby

Pepperell, MA

#8 Jan 17, 2009
Hey, at least they are trained in Tear gas!
UNION FIRE FIGHTER

Pepperell, MA

#9 Jan 17, 2009
You guys are a bunch of Jokers. It does not matter who the selectman pick, in the end the old PFD BS will push out anyone who is worth it. You guys are truly a disgrace to firefighters everwhere. Grow up and do your job or step aside and let someone who can in.
UnionsSuck

Pepperell, MA

#10 Jan 18, 2009
Someone did step aside and look what happened.

So your point is that your a Union FF so that makes you superior? That's a good one. Go milk the system a little more before you get laid off.

You sound like a Dave Stevens to me! He was so worth it.
Pepperell BOS a JOKE

Worcester, MA

#11 Jan 18, 2009
It is time the selectman make some change, Oust Chief Tyler. He is not a leader what so ever. He with John Kinney will get someone injured or killed! It will just take some time. The department needs a full time Chief from out side the department. A shake up is long over due! Hey Sergi, Mcnabb and Johnson. take this one and run with it: Meet with all firefighters and officers one on one. ask them what they think needs to happen to the depatment. I can assure you that you will see the current commanders are not the best choice!
Looking in From Outside

Worcester, MA

#13 Jan 20, 2009
Great job blogging guys. When someone has the balls to step up and say something in town meeting or to someone's face then maybe something will change. If all people are going to do is bitch online and hide behind their computers then it will be same ol hat.
PFD Mess, how did that response with POVs work with Julia Ln? Oh and I believe Costa was the Chief at the time.
Maybe it's just me but if there is something so wrong then people should speak up in public and not just behind the curtain.
PFDMess

Pepperell, MA

#14 Jan 20, 2009
Looking in From Outside wrote:
Great job blogging guys. When someone has the balls to step up and say something in town meeting or to someone's face then maybe something will change. If all people are going to do is **** online and hide behind their computers then it will be same ol hat.
PFD Mess, how did that response with POVs work with Julia Ln? Oh and I believe Costa was the Chief at the time.
Maybe it's just me but if there is something so wrong then people should speak up in public and not just behind the curtain.
Interesting pick of POV's response to Julia Ln.

So, is your point on Personal operated vehicles is:

That loading up with full crew would made a difference at this fire? That fire started sometime overnight (and I think it was arson), had been burning for hours, was in a home under construction in an area that not many people were living at the time so it took until 6am for a neighbor to see the fire. Even the fulltime union ff's couldn't have helped that house.

Or

Is your point that the Hollis ff (a fulltime Nashua ff) that responded in the Hollis Ladder truck and then fell off the roof should have responded in his POV so he wouldn't have fallen and seriously hurt himself.

Or

That PFD's Engine 4 responded to the fire with a full crew instead of only the driver, who had the
truck on the wrong fire freq so no one could contact him, laid a line to engine 5 across the road, but forgot to put the water thief on so he couldn't get a water supply to his own truck. The driver of Eng 4 couldn't figure out how to pump with the truck and eventually ff's had to break down the 4 inch line to get more water cause only engine 5 had attack lines working. Then the house really went up in flames and the Hollis ff fell off the roof. So a full crew could have prevented an unqualified driver taking the tanker. Guess who was driving Eng 4 (see below for who was driving).

Or

The first person on the scene was Deputy Shattuck, who promptly drove his town vehicle onto the back lawn for some unknown reason. So driving your TOV (Town owned vehicle) onto the back lawn doesn't help put out a fire, but gives you a great view.

Not sure, but I guess I see your point about POV's so much clearly at this s/f.......

Plenty of people have had the balls and said something. Look what happens to people on the highway dept when they stand up and say something. Enough said.

Change happens. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it bad. Bottom line is change needs to happen on
the PFD before some of these good firefighters get hurt AGAIN because people don't know what they are doing.

The driver of Eng 4 was the newly appointed Deputy Chief Jonathan Kinney.

Doesn't that make you feel safe now. The new training officer doesn't know how to operate a
fire truck/tanker. But then again, I doubt Chief Tyler could do any better.

And yes, I like to stay behind my computer. I've seen what happens to others that have spoken up. It's not pretty.
FireTim

Pepperell, MA

#16 Jan 20, 2009
Yea, fire him, then he can become chief!
Looking in From Outside

Worcester, MA

#17 Jan 21, 2009
I don't know. I guess when I said that thing about the POVs and Julia Lane I was talking about how there were like 20 ffs on scene and no trucks. But good thing is they got there so fast to get everyone out of that unoccupied building! And you're right that it is pretty stupid that Engine 4 wasn't being opperated properly but hopefully they learn from their mistakes. I think that proper training for the FFs on equipment is key and if that FF was not trained correctly then it was the chief and training officers fault. Who was the chief again?

On a side note it does suck that the Hollis FF got hurt. No one likes to see that but it does happen. Part of the risk FFs take. I think that most FF injuries can be prevented with proper training and technique. From what I've heard the PFD is taking more measures for saftey and accountability now which is a step in the right direction.

I'm not trying to start stuff on here. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and look at it from both sides because there are a lot of things that the FD needs to work on but they have a great place to start with an amazing group of guys that bust their ass everytime they're needed.
WTF

Haverhill, MA

#18 Jan 21, 2009
This is becoming absurd.Kinney was the only person that was from Pepperell that applied for the position. The selectman can not make anyone run for the position. There may be more qualified people on the dept. to run but they didn't for their own personal reasons I'm sure it has nothing to do with being weak or afriad to run. and in response to the family dynamics of chief tyler and deputy kinney what does that have to do with anything. Chief Tyler has been on the dept for almost twenty years, long before he adopted those kids why would he stop trying to grow in the dept. Kinney is a guidance counselor I am sure he would not put his kids in any danger or any neglect. Also this is a small town there is no reason why the B.O.E. should recieve any flak for having other full time jobs. this is a volunteer dept. noone can live off that pay. The selectman chose who they chose to run PFD maybe individually they arent the strongest but together with the captains and lieutenants they can be. Thats why there is a chain of command. I remind you of the major gas leak on Nashua rd this past summer. This could have been a major catastrophe. but it wasn't. The firefighters worked together and noone got hurt. This past ice storm where would we be with out the firefighters there would probably stil be a huge mess to clean up. The recent chimney fire that spread into the walls of the house that was stopped in a matter of ten minutes if it wasnt for chief tyler and the other captains on the scene this house would have been done for. I think PFD deserves more credit then what you jerks are giving them
H-L Co

Osterville, MA

#19 Jan 21, 2009
PFDMess wrote:
You cannot have the FF's vote for their leaders. Just not how the law works.
Bottom line is no one put in for the engineers jobs because you can't trust the selectman and you can't trust the other two engineers (mainly the chief).
It's time to wake up, get with the real world and change the system to a Strong or Weak chief system. Get rid of the current chief(s) and bring in qualified/trained person.
You may not agree with getting rid of the current leaders, but no worries. They way its going now, they'll be the only ones left with a hand full of new guys cause the rest of the indians are going to quit.
Just take a look a the the chief's new policy. Pepperell now has FF's going to the station and waiting for a full crew instead of to the scene. Probably the biggest reason why Pepperell had such a good response and now the Chief has changed it. Only person that can take a truck with nobody on it though is Dep Shattuck (you know, don't do as I do, do as I say).
Sometimes change is good, but this is just stupid. Only good change here would be a new Chief! Listening to Jean and Dave H more Toby, you'll go a long way with that thinking.
Just remember, Ladder company has always produced the worst engineers/chiefs. Remember John Marriner? They are not the DNC (do nothing company) for no reason.
The Hook and Ladder Company has done a remarkable job in the past several years to serve the Town of Pepperell and the Fire Department. H+L Co. has the most EMT's than any other fire Company, H+L members have taken the lead in the SAFE program for the past several years, H+L Co. members are hungry for training and regularly attend Mass Fire Academy trainings, Firefighter I and II certification and paramedic training. H+L Co. has stepped up and it is insulting to PFDMess suggest otherwise.
PFDMess needs to get their head out of the past and take an honest look at what is working right with the PFD. The firefighters I talk to are very happy with the changes and feel the Dept. is moving in the right direction. If PFDMess has issues - bring them up at the Monthly Fire Dept. meeting face to face. By the way, I don't see anyone quitting the fire dept.- just complaining behind this blog...
lets get real

Osterville, MA

#20 Jan 21, 2009
Personal attacks, inaccurate reports, glorifying the “good ol days” in revisionist and inaccurate style, it is hard to take seriously anyone who needs to make the appointment of a fire engineer so personal they need to go on the attack. I am all for expressing your point of view or constructive criticism or even your opinion about how something could be better, but anonymous, slanderous, inaccurate personal attacks only serves to undermine the PFD not help make it better. It does make you wonder what the true agenda is from the people who write this stuff. It certainly is not to help improve the PFD.
President Obama said it so well yesterday [People will be remembered for what they build, not for what they destroy]. The Pepperell Fire Department has come a long way and is continuing to improve. Whether you agree or disagree with some of the changes there is no argument that the current Board of Engineers is dedicated and committed to improving firefighter effectiveness and safety. Whether or not you agree with personal style or choices these men have made, they are the ones who have stepped up to the job, with targets on their backs, in this highly political environment, to lead the Pepperell Fire Dept.
got the wrong man

Osterville, MA

#21 Jan 21, 2009
TearGasToby wrote:
Hey, at least they are trained in Tear gas!
You've got the wrong man on this one - you all know who's fault that was. In fact he ultimately lost his position as Deputy Chief because of his inability to admit his mistake and instead try to blame in on anybody else. Get your facts straight "teargastoby"
TrainingOfficer

Pepperell, MA

#22 Jan 21, 2009
Looking in From Outside wrote:
I think that proper training for the FFs on equipment is key and if that FF was not trained correctly then it was the chief and training officers fault. Who was the chief again?
That is the responsibility of the Capt and Lt of the ff's company. They sign off and are responsible for their own ff's. Kinney is a Hool and Ladder Co member. His Capt at the time was James Taplin.
EMSCoOrFireCo

Pepperell, MA

#23 Jan 21, 2009
H-L Co wrote:
<quoted text>
The Hook and Ladder Company has done a remarkable job in the past several years to serve the Town of Pepperell and the Fire Department. H+L Co. has the most EMT's than any other fire Company, H+L members have taken the lead in the SAFE program for the past several years, H+L Co. members are hungry for training and regularly attend Mass Fire Academy trainings, Firefighter I and II certification and paramedic training. H+L Co. has stepped up and it is insulting to PFDMess suggest otherwise.
PFDMess needs to get their head out of the past and take an honest look at what is working right with the PFD. The firefighters I talk to are very happy with the changes and feel the Dept. is moving in the right direction. If PFDMess has issues - bring them up at the Monthly Fire Dept. meeting face to face. By the way, I don't see anyone quitting the fire dept.- just complaining behind this blog...
Everything you say is correct. But your forgot mention one important aspect of your company. Hook and Ladder is a Fire Company (not an EMS Co). Show up to your fire calls.

That is your responsibility. All the other fluff comes second. Having 2 guys on a regular basis show up to calls doesn't count. Now step up to the plate so the engineers can't use your group as the reason it needs a Prop 2 1/2 override again!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ayer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ayer arrests (Aug '09) Thu Nick 5
News Tempers flare as Shirley police officer fired (Nov '16) Wed Darn Tootin 61
Beatles For Sale tribute band returns to Shirley Aug 4 Beatleman 1
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) Jul 21 Darn Tootin 10
News Serving life for Ayer murder, ex-Green Beret su... (Jan '09) Jul '17 QBob 125
News Convict sues Ayer police (Jun '08) Jul '17 Disappointed 50
News Ayer man remains held without bail in domestic-... Jul '17 Fake News 1

Ayer Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ayer Mortgages