Board clashes on union issues

Board clashes on union issues

There are 3 comments on the Nashoba Publishing story from Jan 28, 2011, titled Board clashes on union issues. In it, Nashoba Publishing reports that:

At Tuesday night's Tri-Board meeting, Town Accountant Lisa Gabris said the budget forecast for the town includes no wage increases.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Nashoba Publishing.

MaxantMustGo

Southbury, CT

#1 Jan 28, 2011
Frank continues to not understand much about anything, especially as it regards the schools. There can be no school union negotiations as there is no union. The teachers and other groups have yet to form one. By law there must be a legally formed bargaining unit to negotiate with, so to say what raises may or may not be is premature as there have not been and cannot be negotiations without a bargaining unit. Sorry, it's just the law Frank. You know, that pesky thing.
Local citizen

Bedford, MA

#2 Jan 28, 2011
I'm with you on this one Frank. However "There can be no school union negotiations as there is no union". Problem solved. No union to negotiate with so who is going to ask for a raise ?. Seems each member of the school system will have to make their own case. Could take years !. On the other hand, how long will the teachers go without a "legally formed bargaining unit" ?. Next week, end of February, certainly before the beginning of summer break. Your best guess ?.
Pauline Conley

Falmouth, MA

#3 Jan 30, 2011
I attended the Tri Board mtg and this article does not report the entire discussion regarding union negotiations. When Mr. Frost said the ASRSC could not negotiate until the unions were combined I asked if that meant the teachers would be working in Sept without a contract. Mr. Kelly responded that the ASRSC is in discussions with the teachers and hopes to have a contract in place before school opens in the Fall. He remained non-committal regardng the 'no raise' stand taken by the selectmen however.
Mr. Luca is correct that the towns will give the ASRSC a block of money and they are free to spend it any way they wish. I sincerely hope when they do negotiate new contracts they think of the impact giving raises to school dept employees will have on other town employees and the taxpayers who must approve paying the annual assessment.
Responsible negotiations will go a long way to improve the suspicion and distrust that seem to be hovering over the ASRSC
PS: the budget just released by the governor nets the ASRSC an additional $500,000 for the coming fiscal year while the towns will both have cuts in their state aid if the budget is approved by the legislature.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ayer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local Politics Do you approve of Jodie Rachman as Mayor? Jun 30 na 1
News Fitchburg prostitution sting nets five arrests (Oct '13) Jun 29 insider 79
News Shirley man seeks appeal of his 2010 murder con... May '15 Fast and Furious 6
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... May '15 Just Us 1
News Lawyer is charged in kidnapping of girl, 12 May '15 mcmahan821 1
News Remains found in Lancaster - Sentinel & Enterprise (May '09) May '15 Vinnie 17
scummy vultures Apr '15 unknown 1
More from around the web

Ayer People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Ayer Mortgages