School building study rejected

School building study rejected

There are 8 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Feb 6, 2011, titled School building study rejected. In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Voters in Shirley spoke loud and clear Saturday afternoon, voting 351-220 in opposition of a special election question that asked to appropriate up to $750,000 for a feasibility study for the current Ayer High School building.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

okay

Maynard, MA

#1 Feb 6, 2011
"Everyone" agrees that the high school needs to have work. But the figure needs tweeking to a lower amount to convince the towns people.
To find out want needs to be done Mr. Prescott, and RS committee, renovation or renovation and addition should not cost that much. While reimbursement from the MSBA is promised, that figure obviously alarms folks.
As stated from the start by many people, including those who began this whole process, take it a step at a time. "Up to" 750,000 is ambiguous, give the voters "a" number and itemize what it is for, and they will hopefully be more willing to work with that. It "is" a complicated process, so taking it a step at a time with more clear projections and numbers may help all.
You may not have wanted to come to the voters more than once to request monies, but that may be the route to take, like when working with kids on a hard concept, "chunk it" in manageable amounts.
all wrong

Leominster, MA

#2 Feb 7, 2011
Hudson,

It was less about this amount then it was the entire picture! Residents were lied too about this not costing anymore money in the 1st year, now they are alleged to have/need anouther 900K.

Present the 1st budget
Settle the teachers contract

Then screw the MSBA...we all know it could use some sprucing up, and MAYBE, Just Maybe renovated
sciene labs. It absolutely does not need nor will it ever get 34-39 million period, neither town will approve this, Shirley is STILL paying for the middle school, Ayer is paying for nothing. Let Ayer
take a hit. We can then spend 3-4 million to renovate the labs, new roof, new windows, THAT'S if they come in on the budget level funded as they said. If the teachers get what every other town employee is getting in thier contracts AND if they present realistic and just what is needed renovation figures it will sell, If they do not become a group with a shared pain outlook, they will get zero, zip, nada.

Any spring or summer vote will be worse results as all the Shirley Seniors will be back!
okay

Maynard, MA

#3 Feb 7, 2011
Well then Shirley senior, In guess you were all oblivious when the regionalization vote was taken... Then I say let Shirley fend for themselves, Ayer need not bail you out...build your own high school, have a middle school operating 1/2 empty, and figure out what to do with Lura White, on the no money you put up into all of your town operations, which is not much, and it shows. Bravo !!
If the value of my house

Ipswich, MA

#4 Feb 9, 2011
hadn't crashed so much, I'd be looking to get out of this town ASAP. Votes like this are the reason that Shirley will never be able to attract new families and businesses to the community. It is a shame that this town and its leaders devalue education so much.
And another thing

Ipswich, MA

#5 Feb 9, 2011
Until the leaders of this community become advocates for the schools, the schools will not turn around. I watched selectmen Deveau mock the schools openly on TV while reporting how school choice numbers increased instead of decreased after the regionalization vote. If I may be so bold Mr. Deveau, I believe you and your anti-school stance are one of the contributing factors to the choice out problem in the town. Why does wanting a better school system offend you so much? Why do you spend so much of your time and effort trying to take money away from the schools and going back on your word for promised funding for the schools time and time again? This lack of support from town leaders is one of the main reason that I would choice out my kid. I believe that a true community and true leader should value what a good school system brings to a town.
RSC Cred problem

Berlin, MA

#6 Feb 10, 2011
The RSC has a credibility problem. No one's buying what they're selling. Their baby steps to blend the districts is going poorly. To be so top heavy when both towns are struggling financially is just poor PR. The educated set should get this, but it's the working class stiffs that understand it best. More power to the people. Get ready for ballooning assessments.
Shirley

Leominster, MA

#7 Feb 12, 2011
And another thing wrote:
Until the leaders of this community become advocates for the schools, the schools will not turn around. I watched selectmen Deveau mock the schools openly on TV while reporting how school choice numbers increased instead of decreased after the regionalization vote. If I may be so bold Mr. Deveau, I believe you and your anti-school stance are one of the contributing factors to the choice out problem in the town. Why does wanting a better school system offend you so much? Why do you spend so much of your time and effort trying to take money away from the schools and going back on your word for promised funding for the schools time and time again? This lack of support from town leaders is one of the main reason that I would choice out my kid. I believe that a true community and true leader should value what a good school system brings to a town.
What pure bull, but typical... the Shirley School gets HUGE monies well over 1/2, They DO NOTHING to help, They have never Zero based budgeted it is now you time to start on Deveau, Good luck
the School should get NO MORE than 30% of the operating budget, when you factor in all state money they get and NEVER talk about.

"Well then Shirley senior, In guess you were all oblivious when the regionalization vote was taken... Then I say let Shirley fend for themselves, Ayer need not bail you out...build your own high school, have a middle school operating 1/2 empty, and figure out what to do with Lura White, on the no money you put up into all of your town operations, which is not much, and it shows. Bravo !!"

You Clown, You ASSUME a Senior and start, the "vote" was taken in a stacked TM, had the motion to bring it to a town wide vote based on the expenses passed it would have got crushed. We would love to fend for ourselves, That way they could be controlled. Hey Ayer enjoy the assessment, as Mike Swanton the liar in Chief said, We SEND you the Bill and YOU PAY IT.. SWANTON and PRESCOTT said it would cost no more and ALREADY they are 1 million short and climbing, 125K for Reid, 125K for Frost, 100K for the unnamed acting Super, 100K for the Business Manager, 100K for the Ayer old Business Manager, under a different title. over 1/2 million dollar on talking heads and zip for "the children" Arrogant Ayer, you are NOW broke to so laugh at yourself
Frankly

Lowell, MA

#8 Feb 25, 2011
I attended one of the meeting and after some questions and information I was convinced to vote yes because of the need and the minimum financial impact compared to the alternative. With the study we would at least know the real condition the of Ayer buildings. Funds invested in gaining that information is important as well move forward because some repairs and fixes must occur no matter what. One thought that immediately came to mind after I saw the results and vote totals was someone didn't do a good job of getting out the parents of our young adults. If 1 of every 3 parents had believe and voted in the study it would have been a strong YES outcome. I am very disappointed to hear that people didn't vote because they believe it was a done deal. It is not the purpose of voting to only show up if you think your side isn't going to win. That is what has really put all towns in a state of kaos, residents not caring enough to vote or volunteer.

A final comment, there are a lot of angry residents in Shirley because of the manner the new school was voted on. I think this is over looked time and time again when people in Ayer are considering what they want. I knew about the anger through friends, I underestimated how strong it still is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ayer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is The Driving Age In MA Too Young? (Apr '06) May '16 EverettCitizen 327
News Bolton call firefighter charged in Lancaster, M... (May '15) May '16 FF wife 2
News Billerica weighs smaller lot sizes to attract h... May '16 hammerhead 1
News Cragin's life has spanned many genres (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeffrey Irvine 610 2
News The river runs through her Documentary to trace... (Jan '08) Apr '16 Irvine 403 2
News Historic Shirley barn saved from destruction (Dec '07) Apr '16 Irvinator 350 8
News Police briefs (Dec '07) Apr '16 Irvine 112 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ayer Mortgages