Man charged with failing to register ...

Man charged with failing to register as sex offender

There are 8 comments on the Highlands Today story from Nov 18, 2009, titled Man charged with failing to register as sex offender. In it, Highlands Today reports that:

A traffic stop on Saturday led to a former Connecticut resident being charged with failure to register as a sex offender, a third-degree felony.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Highlands Today.

Diana

Huntersville, NC

#1 Nov 26, 2009
Sex offenders are always pariahs in a community; that's probably why he didn't register. (It's probably the worst list one can be on.) His employers probably weren't aware of his status either.
Molly

United States

#3 Nov 27, 2009
Diana wrote:
Sex offenders are always pariahs in a community; that's probably why he didn't register.(It's probably the worst list one can be on.) His employers probably weren't aware of his status either.
I must say I am very distraught reading this and wonder why we as Americans will sit back and allow people to violate our fellow man. America encourages free enterprise but that does not give these violators the right to capitalize upon it through the destruction of fellow human beings. This is Thansgiving we just celebrated but these Chaney's feel nothing but greed for their fellow mankind and neighbors. How many people have they destroyed? It isn't that they gave loans to people who did not pay their bills so they had no choice to take back their vehicles. This is an out right theft and deception. They know the people who buy from them are not able to go to reputable financing companies so they take advantage of that and make a huge profit. They are taking moral and financial advantage of these folks. They take every bit of money these people have for the down payment then they sit like vultures to take it back. These people have no intention on seeing that people succeed. To repo a car a day late and re-sell it for a huge profit reeks of crookiness. Who would conduct business like that? Where is the compassion, the human understanding. We are not talking about someone going months and trying to stiff a car dealer but working people who may be 1 day late and have to pay every 2 weeks to increase the chances that someone might get a day late. From what I am reading when these Chaneys need more money or if they think it is a car that they can move quickly, they take it back even if the people are not behind. Since the people who go there have given them their savings, Chaney counts on the fact they may not have money to hire an attorney so he carrys on with his game of stealing cars. That is in effect what he is doing. He is setting these poor people up. We should never sit back complacent and allow this to happen. I want to see something done and am going to start calling evry agency I can and encourage everyone else to do the same. Make these crooks answer for the bad business ethics they have and let us not allow them to hold these peoples cars for ransom. Sounds to me like that is what Chaney does. He tries to make these people pay enormous amounts of money to get their car back and I imagine he only offers that if he thinks he cannot move their car quickly. If he can move their car quickly, he doesn't give them a chance to get it back but sells it even before he can get a clear title back on it. Shifty Shifty. Then you have the raping of these people with his own reposession company making a killing off od reposessing the cars. This is a real nasty business and it needs to be shut down and they need to have these Chaney's have to answer for their inhumanity.
Pam

Charlotte, NC

#5 Nov 27, 2009
Molly wrote:
<quoted text>I must say I am very distraught reading this and wonder why we as Americans will sit back and allow people to violate our fellow man. America encourages free enterprise but that does not give these violators the right to capitalize upon it through the destruction of fellow human beings. This is Thansgiving we just celebrated but these Chaney's feel nothing but greed for their fellow mankind and neighbors. How many people have they destroyed? It isn't that they gave loans to people who did not pay their bills so they had no choice to take back their vehicles. This is an out right theft and deception. They know the people who buy from them are not able to go to reputable financing companies so they take advantage of that and make a huge profit. They are taking moral and financial advantage of these folks. They take every bit of money these people have for the down payment then they sit like vultures to take it back. These people have no intention on seeing that people succeed. To repo a car a day late and re-sell it for a huge profit reeks of crookiness. Who would conduct business like that? Where is the compassion, the human understanding. We are not talking about someone going months and trying to stiff a car dealer but working people who may be 1 day late and have to pay every 2 weeks to increase the chances that someone might get a day late. From what I am reading when these Chaneys need more money or if they think it is a car that they can move quickly, they take it back even if the people are not behind. Since the people who go there have given them their savings, Chaney counts on the fact they may not have money to hire an attorney so he carrys on with his game of stealing cars. That is in effect what he is doing. He is setting these poor people up. We should never sit back complacent and allow this to happen. I want to see something done and am going to start calling evry agency I can and encourage everyone else to do the same. Make these crooks answer for the bad business ethics they have and let us not allow them to hold these peoples cars for ransom. Sounds to me like that is what Chaney does. He tries to make these people pay enormous amounts of money to get their car back and I imagine he only offers that if he thinks he cannot move their car quickly. If he can move their car quickly, he doesn't give them a chance to get it back but sells it even before he can get a clear title back on it. Shifty Shifty. Then you have the raping of these people with his own reposession company making a killing off od reposessing the cars. This is a real nasty business and it needs to be shut down and they need to have these Chaney's have to answer for their inhumanity.
Unfortunately, people actually pursue alternate financing when they don't qualify for reputable financing. Best practice: if someone can not afford to buy a car, he or she should use alternate transportation.
In the meantime, Molly, you could take it to the DA and see what he or she will do -- or you could lend the people who have your heart the money for a reputable attorney.
Molly

United States

#6 Nov 27, 2009
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, people actually pursue alternate financing when they don't qualify for reputable financing. Best practice: if someone can not afford to buy a car, he or she should use alternate transportation.
In the meantime, Molly, you could take it to the DA and see what he or she will do -- or you could lend the people who have your heart the money for a reputable attorney.
Thank you Mr. Chnaye. You think just because you PREY on the unfortunate you are allowed to be scummy and Greedy. See folks this guy is not only a creep but gloats in the fact he is taking advantage over everyone. Also Mr. Chaney, are you also the kind of guy that not only tells people if they cannot afford to be ripped off by you that they need to walk or ride a bike, the kind of man who wears a white sheet or also executes people who are not blonde hair blue eyed? I think you most certainly are.
Molly

United States

#7 Nov 27, 2009
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
Pam alias Gerald Chaney- as a matter of fact there is a law that will protect this type of stealing and alot of people are getting informed on the avenue they can take. Since you feel so much more superior than people who have less than you, maybe we can bring you down to their level by making you pay for the scamming you have done. So sorry but you are a crook Chaney and a very nasty person on top of that.
Driscol

United States

#8 Nov 27, 2009
Unfortunately, Chaney is gloating and making statements that people who cannot afford to be robbed by him shouldn't go to him. There are Consumer Rights and I would encourage you to consult the DEPARTMENT of CONSUMER AFFAIRS and tell everyone you know to do the same. THere is an Online Complaint Form and you can fill it out. These Chnaey's are smug and think they can do anything they want to anybody. Please tell everyone you know to go elsewhere to buy a car. There are other buy here pay here in Sebring and Avon Park and although they do not fly the Mexican Flag to coherse people to come in, you will get a fair shake from them. With Chaney you are a victim waiting to happen.
Pam

Huntersville, NC

#9 Nov 27, 2009
Molly wrote:
<quoted text> Pam alias Gerald Chaney- as a matter of fact there is a law that will protect this type of stealing and alot of people are getting informed on the avenue they can take. Since you feel so much more superior than people who have less than you, maybe we can bring you down to their level by making you pay for the scamming you have done. So sorry but you are a crook Chaney and a very nasty person on top of that.
Molly, you're becoming more shrill with each post. Take a deep breath. Calm down. It'll help your blood pressure enormously.

Oh -- and just so you know: I've never had the last name Chaney. Heck, I'm not even male. Oh, and I've never scammed anyone.
I'm guessing that you personally don't want to lend the folks you're concerned about your money -- or you don't really want to put your money where your mouth is. That's fine. A lot of people give lip service to their causes.
That doesn't change the basic truism: you shouldn't buy what you can not afford. Reason: you may well lose your investment, as well as destroy your credit.(It's part of basic economics 101.)
Molly

United States

#10 Nov 28, 2009
Pam wrote:
<quoted text>
Molly, you're becoming more shrill with each post. Take a deep breath. Calm down. It'll help your blood pressure enormously.
Oh -- and just so you know: I've never had the last name Chaney. Heck, I'm not even male. Oh, and I've never scammed anyone.
I'm guessing that you personally don't want to lend the folks you're concerned about your money -- or you don't really want to put your money where your mouth is. That's fine. A lot of people give lip service to their causes.
That doesn't change the basic truism: you shouldn't buy what you can not afford. Reason: you may well lose your investment, as well as destroy your credit.(It's part of basic economics 101.)
Pam,

You are correct but unfortunately what we have here is more than just people getting more thna what they can pay for. This is a racket that preys on people who actually probably feel when they walk in they can afford it. It isn't until afte they sign they are told they must pay every 2 weeks. Even then they most likely feel they can handle it. Unfortunately, there are many people who di not get behind but still have their car taken and resold. These crooks prey on the unsuspecting just as bad as people who rape people, who abuse children, and take advantage of the elderly. The game is to lure in hispanics or people that probably do not know the law and will not have any recourse when the car is basically stolen. Some people actually do get behind and their car is repoed and I agree that the financing company does have a right to exercise their lienholder rights. I am not saying let everyone default on their loans, what I am saying is their is no one stopping the illegal repossessions and no one watching to protect the victims. Another point is the Florida Statue prohinits this type of activity by car dealers to try to prevent this type of corruption. The law clearly states that if a car is repoed the lienholder can go back to the consummer for the difference-default judgement but also if the vehicle is sold for more than the consummer owes, that money is to be returned to the consummer. This prevents people taking advantage and repoing unnecessarily. The issue here is that Chaney never gives back the money and if forced to give back the profit he is making would probably not repo illegaaly or in a day or two late. Tell me Pam have you always been so fortunate to have your mortage paid by the due date or your car and insurance paid by the due date. Has any of them ever been delayed a day or two-ever? If it has because things happen, mail is delayed or you may have overlooked it by a day or two-would you feel that you should lose your house, vehicle or anything because of a one time day or two delay? I am sure you would be singing a different tune. What I am saying is this is an outrage to treat people like these people do and it causes alot of concern that this is going on in our community. We as fellow neighbors need to at least direct these people on what their options are. Yes I may not have enough to fight their battle for them but I am doing what I can and hopefully you will not be so cold hearted you don't understand that sometimes you have to reach out and help those who are being railroaded and taken advantage of. Trying seeing the Christain value in this and stop being so hateful and you might be a happier person for doing good for someone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News LETTER: Are gypsies Israel's lost tribes? (Sep '12) Jul 24 pavingdoug 8
News Mega Millions winning numbers $13M July 12: Flo... (Jul '13) Jul 18 jasonJay351 3
Please help (Jan '15) Jul 13 man on the street 2
Just Moved to Sebring, Looking for the PLUG Jun '16 RealtorKristin 1
Advice on moving to Sebring - Anyone? (Feb '11) Jun '16 MaryJaneMommy 8
Anyone know where I can find some herb? (Nov '15) Jun '16 SebringRealtor 2
Debate: Marijuana - Avon Park, FL (Aug '10) Apr '16 Maria 9

Avon Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avon Park Mortgages