Avon Mountain Overpass Idea Criticized

Avon Mountain Overpass Idea Criticized

There are 18 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 15, 2008, titled Avon Mountain Overpass Idea Criticized. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The proposal would essentially eliminate the intersection of Route 44 and Nod Road/Route 10 by creating a secondary road - a flyover or an overpass - to the west of it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Gimme a break

Bristol, CT

#1 Apr 15, 2008
Avon should grab this overpass now since it is the best idea out there. As for catching speeders and banning trucks that will not prevent a truck or car losing its brakes. How do they think deliveries and the like will happen wothout trucks?
Great Idea

East Hartford, CT

#2 Apr 15, 2008
I think this is a great idea. Stop your whining Avon and approve it. You'll whine even more if another tragedy happens.
Ct Luver

Fond Du Lac, WI

#3 Apr 15, 2008
Why don't we wait till cars can fly.
Broke farmer

Enfield, CT

#4 Apr 15, 2008
Great Idea wrote:
I think this is a great idea. Stop your whining Avon and approve it. You'll whine even more if another tragedy happens.
I agree it is the best idea. Put a bridge over that intersection.
Bob

Monson, MA

#5 Apr 15, 2008
The Overpass is a big joke, this isn't the Rocky Mountains. Why should taxpayers pay for the lack of repairs of the trucking companies.
If the truck owners / companies would just take responsbility and make their trucks safe there wouldn't be a problem.

As for the speeding aspect.
For 30 to 40 million the state could give myself and a couple of friends radar guns and radios and we would sit and monitor the mountain 24/7. we would only want benefits and 60K per year each..
Joe

Manchester, UK

#6 Apr 15, 2008
I said it once before, why cant the state resurect or build a light rail line to connect New Hartford, Canton, Avon, and West Hartford to to Hartford (since most of the cars are travelling in that direction) This can also possibly be used to transport goods into the region, depending on how it is designed.
Broke farmer

Enfield, CT

#7 Apr 15, 2008
Bob wrote:
The Overpass is a big joke, this isn't the Rocky Mountains. Why should taxpayers pay for the lack of repairs of the trucking companies.
If the truck owners / companies would just take responsbility and make their trucks safe there wouldn't be a problem.
As for the speeding aspect.
For 30 to 40 million the state could give myself and a couple of friends radar guns and radios and we would sit and monitor the mountain 24/7. we would only want benefits and 60K per year each..
Two truck crashes in about hundred years. But daily car crashes don't count? Tell me what are taxes for, the oil in Iraq?
SomeTingWong

Oakland, CA

#8 Apr 15, 2008
Your town wants to spend 30 million because they don't want to hold drivers responsible for their actions.

Brilliant.
TRG

San Jose, CA

#9 Apr 15, 2008
I've seen a couple accidents on Simsbury Mountain also - so lets spend $30 million there too...

This overpass is an over-reaction! Yes, patrol and catch speeders, and yes, have the state do a real job with regards to inspecting trucks! Lets remember that the cause of these accidents are bad drivers and neglect of vehicles - an overpass is not going to solve the real issue here.
G_Whiz

Bloomfield, CT

#10 Apr 15, 2008
The problem with the Avon hill is not the hill it is the intersection. Eliminate the intersection, relocate Rt. 10 and Nod Rd. and move them to the bridge. And another thing why does every business on Rt. 44 need to have a driveway. Put service roads behind the businesses and make traffic use the lights. Rt. 44 is just a royal pain the arse and so are the self righteous, pompus little whiners who live in Avon, Simsbury and Canton. Why does you people want camera's??? If it is trucks that are the problem address them and what causes the problem the stupid intersection. What will a camera do? The speed limit should raised so we get through there quicker.
Bob

Monson, MA

#11 Apr 15, 2008
The car crashes are caused by speeding and drivers just not paying attention to what is going on around them.
They are building to many creature comforts into the new cars.
Broke farmer wrote:
<quoted text>Two truck crashes in about hundred years. But daily car crashes don't count? Tell me what are taxes for, the oil in Iraq?
Bob

Monson, MA

#12 Apr 15, 2008
The intersection has been there for as long as I can remember.
Why don't they make Rte 44 a two lane highway again. This way there won't be any accidents or speeders, just traffic jams.

Grow up people, it's not the road or the intersection that is the issue it's the people who drive on it.

For the 30 to 40 million they want to spend on a stupid bridge the state could hire more truck inspectors and make use of the weigh stations that are always closed.
G_Whiz wrote:
The problem with the Avon hill is not the hill it is the intersection. Eliminate the intersection, relocate Rt. 10 and Nod Rd. and move them to the bridge. And another thing why does every business on Rt. 44 need to have a driveway. Put service roads behind the businesses and make traffic use the lights. Rt. 44 is just a royal pain the arse and so are the self righteous, pompus little whiners who live in Avon, Simsbury and Canton. Why does you people want camera's??? If it is trucks that are the problem address them and what causes the problem the stupid intersection. What will a camera do? The speed limit should raised so we get through there quicker.
Avon Resident

West Hartford, CT

#13 Apr 16, 2008
It isn't speed that has caused the accidents on Avon Mountain it is the failure of trucks to be maintained properly and poor driver training standards that have caused the two big recent accidents. If you want to blame drivers, then blame everyone for the poor driver training and habits that people have. Too fast, too slow, inattentive, immature or too old you name it, but the US driver training standards are pathetic. Very few drivers know how to handle their vehicles other than turning the key and putting the vehicle in drive.
Broke farmer

Enfield, CT

#14 Apr 17, 2008
Get ready RT44 when they close 84 and route all traffic to you.
http://www.topix.com/forum/metro/hartford-ct/...
Disturbed

Morris, CT

#15 Apr 23, 2008
Another good idea would be to have all the yuppies get off of their cell phones while driving!
Avon Transplant

New Britain, CT

#16 May 11, 2008
Let's see...15 replies, only one from an "Avon Resident".
But yea, the problem isn't the trucks, cars, buses, elephants, zebras, or whatever else traveling 44, it's the pinheads behind the wheel. Don't blame the truckers when just as many SUV drivers are traveling 50-60 mph down the hill.
I just love the current solution: make the road wider and soften the curves...yea, that'll slow 'em down.
Avon taxpayers are gagging at the increases for inept government now, so why not add more stupidity to the pile. Let's build a $50M (you know anything that starts at $30M will be $50M before they're through) overpass, so traffic entering Avon will CERTAINLY be traveling 55-70MPH ! I mean, what else can we do ?? The only alternative is enforcing speed limits, tailgating laws, cell phone laws, seat belt laws, etc., and we certainly can't do that, so lets just run down to the Municipal ATM (the taxpayers) and throw a few million at a non problem. Our own little bridge to nowhere.
benny

Holyoke, MA

#17 May 11, 2008
Didn't Rell already put up a runaway truck ramp for 3 million? The actions of a few will always ruin it for the rest of us. It's the law of the land.
fka BigRedTruck

Bloomfield, CT

#18 Nov 26, 2008
The Runaway Truck Ramp is a joke. If I were a trucker with failing brakes and I had the choice between (A) trying to thread the needle into that little ramp knowing the result is a head on crash into a cement wall or (B) taking my chances on making it through the intersection and maybe using the furniture in Nassau's to cushion the crash, I'll take my chances on the latter. Oh, and by the way, the runaway ramp "as built" is not as strong as it was billed by DOT (it will only stop a much smaller truck than originally planned and only if the truck is going 50 MPH, not 80 MPH.) I can tell you right now that almost everyone in the SUV's, BMW's and other vehicles is going at least 50 when they get to that point on Route 44 and the light is green or yellow. If it's a big rig truck whose brakes have failed, it'll be flying by that ramp at at least 80. What a waste of money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Avon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review- I Love Kickboxing Randolph (Aug '15) Jun 22 bkelsey 13
Massachusetts Adoptees and Birth parents Reunit... Jun 12 joan 1
ILKB - Easton/Stoughton Jun 3 mdtanq28 6
Shirts Pressed May '16 Pop the Weasel 2
News Dealing with Public Disapproval when You Have a... May '16 Regina 1
Doink Rules (May '14) Apr '16 Old Dying Clown 156
News Reader disappointed with city's decision on Sum... (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeff Irvine 810 43
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Avon Mortgages